Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#174815 - 09/30/12 09:52 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Integrity has its price? How I missed the Ed Sullivan Show! [Re: rharv]
Loc: WV, USA
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

rharv,

Quote:

Show me a more recognizable vocal sound.

Trust me on this one. I'm DEFINITELY not putting him down. I'm a big fan. I wouldn't change a thing about his voice.

I hate it when someone tries to sing like Dylan. Dylan's voice has to be one of the hardest on the planet to mimic. That's why I'm so critical when someone attempts it. No one on the planet can sing as bad as Dylan and have it sound so good!

#174816 - 09/30/12 10:36 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Integrity has its price? How I missed the Ed Sullivan Show! [Re: bobcflatpicker]
Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Quote:

rharv,

Quote:

Trust me on this one. I'm DEFINITELY not putting him down. I'm a big fan. I wouldn't change a thing about his voice.

I hate it when someone tries to sing like Dylan. Dylan's voice has to be one of the hardest on the planet to mimic. That's why I'm so critical when someone attempts it. No one on the planet can sing as bad as Dylan and have it sound so good!

Well stated, Bob.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to Dylan. I am entitled to my opinion in saying that he is not a singer. His voice is impossible to mimic and it is not clear and distinct...very nasal but instantly recognizable. That doesn't mean that I enjoy listening to his voice. He mumbles and often sounds like he has a mouthful of marbles but his most devoted fans, and I include myself among his fans, forgive that and listen at some deeper level. I have the 4 CD box set wherein everybody who is anybody in music does a tribute to his music and it is the most beautiful concert I have ever heard.

#174817 - 09/30/12 10:50 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Integrity has its price? How I missed the Ed Sullivan Show! [Re: rharv]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Tiny Tim was "recognizable". So was William Hung "recognizable". Were either of them any good?

Dylan had a style and it served him well, but nobody stated anything to the contrary, just that he wasn't known as a guitar player nor was he a crooner. He wrote a lot of great stuff, but I was not all that huge a fan.

I honestly think if Dylan came around again now NOT in a time like the 60s when drug use was underground and the "peace and love generation" were the record buying public he would be just another good folk song writer. 40-50 years of music evolution later, the pond is a lot bigger.

And that same logic could be probably applied to a lot of artists from back then, but we are only talking about this one. It's 2012 and to this day I can't figure out how the Grateful Dead was popular. Jerry Garcia and a bunch of guys named Joe who became famous later BECAUSE they played with Jerry Garcia. Bob Weir, Phil Lesh... c'mon.

#174818 - 09/30/12 11:10 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Integrity has its price? How I missed the Ed Sullivan Show! [Re: eddie1261]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:

I honestly think if Dylan came around again now NOT in a time like the 60s when drug use was underground and the "peace and love generation" were the record buying public he would be just another good folk song writer. 40-50 years of music evolution later, the pond is a lot bigger.

I've heard more than one baby boomer who once enjoyed Dylan's music say they walked out of one of his concerts because it was so bad. Not only is the pond bigger, but the technical improvements in music since the 60s have changed our expectations.

#174819 - 09/30/12 11:13 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Integrity has its price? How I missed the Ed Sullivan Show! [Re: Pat Marr]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Quote:

the technical improvements in music since the 60s have changed our expectations.

Like "auto tune" fixing the vocals of people who can't sing?

#174820 - 10/01/12 01:46 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Integrity has its price? How I missed the Ed Sullivan Show! [Re: bobcflatpicker]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I've heard more than one baby boomer who once enjoyed Dylan's music say they walked out of one of his concerts because it was so bad. Not only is the pond bigger, but the technical improvements in music since the 60s have changed our expectations.

Pat, I tend to agree with most of that but add in the emotional maturity factor. Few of us are still listening to the same music that we did three decades ago. I have matured a lot in three decades. I have actually developed a strong desire to see an opera or Broadway musical. Something that would have been furthest from my mind back then.

These forums have exposed me to a much greater variety of music genre that I would never have explored previously. I was stuck in the same old rut until I heard Matt Finley's Pandora station (for example). I have made a conscious effort to broaden my musical horizons.

It is easy to enjoy home grown music and that is what most of us produce. Its like visiting a dear friend's home and listening to his children entertain with their home-brew variety of music. You don't pick it apart, you simply get absorbed in it and enjoy it for what it is.

#174821 - 10/01/12 04:44 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Integrity has its price? How I missed the Ed Sullivan Show! [Re: Don Gaynor]
Loc: Galston, East Ayrshire, Scotla...
Joe Gordon Offline
Journeyman

Hi Don, Lovely stories! You must have some very happy memories. Joe G.

#174822 - 10/01/12 06:40 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Integrity has its price? How I missed the Ed Sullivan Show! [Re: eddie1261]
JohnJohnJohn Offline
Veteran

Quote:

And that same logic could be probably applied to a lot of artists from back then, but we are only talking about this one. It's 2012 and to this day I can't figure out how the Grateful Dead was popular. Jerry Garcia and a bunch of guys named Joe who became famous later BECAUSE they played with Jerry Garcia. Bob Weir, Phil Lesh... c'mon.

Eddie, you make some great points. The Beatles were unquestionably great but would they be able to break through the noise today? I guess not unless they caught a lucky break. Too often we neglect to include "dumb luck" when we are appraising the success of our icons! Just being at the front end of the music shift that happened midway through the last century must have been an amazing place to be. And there were lots of people who got to ride that wave because they were in the right place at the right time. Hell, even today I am amazed at the local talent where I live and they are struggling to get by while the charts are chock full of "stars" that are not even 1/2 as talented!

#174823 - 10/01/12 07:00 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Integrity has its price? How I missed the Ed Sullivan Show! [Re: JohnJohnJohn]
Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Quote:

. . . to this day I can't figure out how the Grateful Dead was popular. Jerry Garcia and a bunch of guys named Joe who became famous later BECAUSE they played with Jerry Garcia. Bob Weir, Phil Lesh... c'mon.

Q: What does a Grateful Dead fan say when the drugs wear off?
A: Oh, wow, man . . . this music sucks!

#174824 - 10/01/12 08:53 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Integrity has its price? How I missed the Ed Sullivan Show! [Re: Ryszard]
Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
Well, this is Canada, and I'm sure Joe and Sally appeared here, in repeat probably. We were good at that. Heck the local radio for Zoomers (boomers with zoom as Mr. Znaimer calls us) has a show from Scotland every week. The old one use to be Scotland calling or some such thing, but for me it's background music while making the family Sunday supper (used to be dinner but too many churchies make it hard), so all come here for my homemade bread/rolls and whatever roast beast or fowl I make, 10 to 20 people, it varies, making merry, and then some homemade music with flute and keys to follow, (maybe).

But Joe, you live on in Youtube, and I listen to that and grin awhile. Trews, 'ach aye, nay'.

#174825 - 10/01/12 08:56 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Integrity has its price? How I missed the Ed Sullivan Show! [Re: Don Gaynor]
Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Mac Offline
Veteran

Well, "back in the day" when Mr. Zimmerman's songs were hot stuff that was not only on the charts with his own versions but being covered by hot acts from both sides of the pond who enjoyed success with Dylan's songs as well, Bob himself was telling people openly that he was NOT A SINGER.

Bob Dylan always said that he was a POET.

And so he was.

As for more modern technologies, such as the use of Autotune, I can only quote Mr. Zimmerman concerning the matter:

"The times they are a-changin'..."

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#174826 - 10/01/12 08:57 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Integrity has its price? How I missed the Ed Sullivan Show! [Re: Mac]
Mac Offline
Veteran

"Look out kid, its somethin' ya did, God knows when but yer doin' it again..."

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#174827 - 10/01/12 10:18 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Integrity has its price? How I missed the Ed Sullivan Show! [Re: John Conley]
Joe Gordon Offline
Journeyman

Hi John, I maintain that I have "an oblique sense of the ridiculous" .......Sally says I have "a really weird sense of humour!" I'm comforted by telling her....."If you think that my sense of huomour is weird.....wait till you read some of John Conley's posts!" Keep well my Canadian friend. Joe G.

Edited by Joe Gordon (10/01/12 11:40 AM)

#174828 - 10/01/12 10:54 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Integrity has its price? How I missed the Ed Sullivan Show! [Re: Joe Gordon]
Loc: Scottish Highlands
furry Offline
Veteran

Loc: Scottish Highlands
Joe I think most of us Scottish musicians have a weird & sometimes sick sense of humour, I know mine can be realy sick

Whenever I have a problem, I just sing, Then I realize my voice is worse than my problem.

#174829 - 10/01/12 03:12 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Integrity has its price? How I missed the Ed Sullivan Show! [Re: furry]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Here's that long Luther Perkins intro that I taught Bob Dylan. The video has a false start but otherwise the audio is pretty decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u77UHNS1q2o

#174830 - 10/01/12 08:57 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Integrity has its price? How I missed the Ed Sullivan Show! [Re: Don Gaynor]
Loc: South Louisiana
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
Great story Don.

Very enjoyable thread.

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
Video Request Anwered - Creating Intros, Bridges, and Endings in Band-in-a-Box®

Check out the newest support video created by Kent that explains how to create intros, bridges, and endings in Band-in-a-Box®! Click here to view...

Holiday Hours - Monday, November 12th

Remembrance Day is Sunday, November 11th. In recognition of this day, our hours will be:

Sunday, November 11: Technical Support closed. Sales & Customer Service will be open from 8am - 4pm PST.
Monday, November 12: Technical Support closed. Sales & Customer Service will be open from 8am - 4pm PST.

Our regular hours resume Tuesday, November 13. Review our hours and additional contact information at https://www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker Feature

If you have a folder of songs that you'd always like easy access to within Band-in-a-Box, make sure you familiarize yourself with The SongPicker feature, which access the folder that you choose and lock it to!

Access the SongPicker by clicking on the [Song] button next to the title of the song within the main screen of Band-in-a-Box. The first time the SongPicker is opened, you can choose the folder to use to create the list by selecting [Change] and navigating to your preferred directory. Once chosen, select [OK - Make Song List], and Band-in-a-Box does the rest... the next time you click on [Song], you'll be taken directly to your preferred folder!

Learn even more about this feature within Chapter 5 of our Online Manual, here.

Just Launched - The FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

If you have a question (or questions!) about Band-in-a-Box®, PowerTracks, RealBand®, or any other PG Music Inc. product - whether it be technical support or pre-sales, there's now an easy one-stop spot to find the answer - our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

Don't want to read through the 600+ posts? Use the Search FAQ option, and you can choose your key search terms to locate the topic and answer you're looking for!

Common pre-sales questions about our products, ordering, and delivery:
Pre-Sales

Technical support & troubleshooting by product:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Band-in-a-Box® for Mac
RealBand® for Windows
PowerTracks Pro® Audio for Windows
Other Products

There's even a Request New FAQs forum, if you didn't see your question answered anywhere!

Over 190 Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Today's the day we say "Happy Birthday" to Adolphe Sax, the creator of the Saxophone!
(Adolphe was born November 6, 1814 - 32 years later he patended his saxophone creation!)

We have more than 190 Saxophone RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box with the following RealTracks Sets - review the complete list here.

Check our our Saxophonist programs for Windows:
The Jazz Saxophonist
The Rock Saxophonist

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box®!

Here's some of the amazing feedback we've received lately, from program users just like you!

Arthritic fingers means I find it very difficult to play anything. This program is amazing - and it does use real musicians!
-Bob E.

The power of this program is just unbelievable! It's been a best kept secret for a couple of decades now. A song writer's dream!
-Mike D

This band can practice any time of day ...LOL
-William G

Band-in-a-Box works so simple you could teach a child to do it within minutes - the RealTracks are amazing. Doing an album as we speak. I challenge you to give it a try. I am 60 years old and even though I've played 50 years, I am no engineer. But as a song writer I needed some effective tools to create quality production of my work. This is IT! It's as easy as typing and filling in the blanks. The instructional videos allow you to change settings while watching the pro. I myself purchased every "RealTrack" I could get... Take it from me, don't let this overwhelm you. It is absolutely a writer and solo artist dream!
-John S

Best part of Band-in-a-Box is that it saves me having to program drums, the Real Drummer part of the software is brilliant and natural sounding. I then layer real instruments with guys from my band. As a songwriter, Band-in-a-Box has saved me so much time it's ridiculous.
-Andy B

Incredible Software. Great for ignorance and experts and for anyone who wants to deal with music. If you do not have a hobby and want to have one "Band-in-a-Box" is the best choice. Simple, but if you want to be an expert on it, you need to make an effort to master it perfectly for perfect use. The only disadvantage is if you do not want to become a musician, and use it, you will become a perfect musician. Therefore, be cautious. It's not a toy. ;)
-Ilija B.

Been a BIAB man since '92, such a comprehensive source for music making! So much more to offer than "loops", it allows actual music composition to be realized. Evolve from harmonic ignorance and find out what REAL music is made of!
-Don D.

A must for any musician who wants to improve on his own, or to share his musical ideas in a professional high quality rendition.. You just play with the best musicians and that's great ♪ :)
-Jean-Marie D.

I use Band in a Box all the time. I couldn't be more pleased. It's easy to use and it sounds super-big time!
-Max R.

An excellent tool for generating backing tracks. Saves me hours of MIDI programming. Combines the best of MIDI and live audio samples.
-Steve A.

Video Help - My Band-in-a-Box® Won't Open!

Our NEW I want a video that shows me how to .... forum is off to a GREAT start! We've answered the common question/issue of "My program won't open!" with the following video: How To: Return to Factory Settings outside Band-in-a-Box (Win).

Want to see a video about a particular issue your having with the program? Post your request here, we're happy to help!!

Forum Stats
28174 Members
59 Forums
54831 Topics
454417 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Pokey53, JoaoC, guyph7, em2c, dfmaker

28173 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 192
Matt Finley 130