You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#175257 - 10/03/12 07:54 PM [Off-Topic] I forgot to mention this
Loc: Rio Grande Valley, Texas
silvertones Offline
Veteran

As y'all know I live in the NC mountains.The home of the once famous Moonshine trade. Well the History channel has been doing a documentary on this trade. A couple Fridays ago I was asked to play bass for a band at a local dance hall were they would be filming an episode.It was way cool.And there was a whole lot of shine to be had free of charge. I had a ball. Never did taste it though.We were playing inside but out in the back there were some boys gettin" down playing Bluegrass and Old time music and believe me THEY had had a taste or two. Had a nice barbecue dinner before hand as well.Watch for me on the History channel. The joint is called Jimmy's Pick 'N Grin. They have a web site. Andrews NC
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.Wintertexaninfo.com/Bands/JohnnyD.php

#175258 - 10/03/12 08:53 PM [Off-Topic] Re: I forgot to mention this [Re: silvertones]
Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Mac Offline
Veteran

Way cool.

Hey-- Gimmie a tug o' that good ole Mountain Dew now, heah?

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#175259 - 10/03/12 09:11 PM [Off-Topic] Re: I forgot to mention this [Re: Mac]
Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

John way cool! What does moonshine taste like anyhow?

#175260 - 10/03/12 09:45 PM [Off-Topic] Re: I forgot to mention this [Re: rockstar_not]
Loc: WV, USA
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Loc: WV, USA
Quote:

John way cool!

Ditto on that!

Quote:

What does moonshine taste like anyhow?

Really good moonshine is pretty smooth, ... but very rare. Most of it tastes like lighter fluid.

#175261 - 10/03/12 10:17 PM [Off-Topic] Re: I forgot to mention this [Re: bobcflatpicker]
Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Don Gaynor Online   content
Veteran

Dang, Bob! I was going to say naptha, that's lighter fluid. I've never tried shine but, while stationed in Germany, they had a drink that we GIs referred to as ***'s ***** and we could fill our Zippos with it. Probably 180 proof or more. It was sort of a daredevil challenge to drink it straight. Guido may have the proper German name for it but our translation is unprintable.

#175262 - 10/04/12 09:16 AM [Off-Topic] Re: I forgot to mention this [Re: Don Gaynor]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

I didn't dare taste it.There were a number of varieties though. From clear to a golden color.
15.6" Monitor

#175263 - 10/04/12 10:44 AM [Off-Topic] Re: I forgot to mention this [Re: silvertones]
Loc: Pensacola, Florida
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
I went to college in the mountains of North Georgia and you had to be careful about stumbling upon someone's still when hiking out in the woods.

Tried it once (supposedly from a reliable source) and it mixed nicely with lemonade and went down smoothly. But I haven't and wouldn't try it again since. I'm not that desperate. Plenty of affordable good stuff at the ABC store.

LaptopBeast HP Win7Pro64, 8GB
AudioBeast ASUS Win10Pro64, 16GB
VideoBeast HP Win10Pro64, 8GB

UMC404HD/Casio Kbds/BB-RB2019/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
http://www.sus4chord.com

#175264 - 10/04/12 11:30 AM [Off-Topic] Re: I forgot to mention this [Re: jford]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

I just wondered because a former neighbor out here makes really tasty beer and mead. I never really liked beer until tasting some of his stuff. The mead was outstanding but something about is didn't agree with my digestive tract. Wondered if folks are flavoring moonshine like they do withnother home brews.

#175265 - 10/04/12 11:58 AM [Off-Topic] Re: I forgot to mention this [Re: rockstar_not]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Most moonshine tastes like Corn Liquor.

There is at least one legal brand of Corn Liquor to be found in the stores, while not the greatest example of the best 'shine, it will give you some idea of the taste.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#175266 - 10/04/12 12:38 PM [Off-Topic] Re: I forgot to mention this [Re: rockstar_not]
Don Gaynor Online   content
Veteran

Scott,

If you learn to like great-tasting beers you might enjoy the micro breweries. Seattle has some of the best. It's a ho nudder sperience.

German beer (in Germany) was so much better than their watered-down 3.2% exports. A world of difference! I believe beer in Germany pushes 8% alcohol with 6% being quite common. In German beers you can taste the yeast, a sort of "liquid bread." I can't imagine what upset your digestive tract but possibly you weren't used to it.

I drank Danish Heineken while stationed in Germany so I eagerly bought some when I got back to the States to treat my friends, it was awful.

Germans drink (and prefer) their beer at nearly room temp while US brewers recommend 40F. Below 40F, the flavor is camouflaged and our taste buds begin to shut down. The 40F thing was taught me by my brother-in-law, former GM of Rainer Brewery in Seattle. Test for yourself which has the more flavor 40F (5C) or ice cold.

Cute story: Our landlord came one hot summer day to collect the rent. Seeing that he was miserable in the heat, my wife offered him an ice cold Kesselring from the fridge. She had been heating a baby bottle on the stove so he stuck his beer in the still hot water and warmed it thoroughly. LOL.

#175267 - 10/04/12 08:01 PM [Off-Topic] Re: I forgot to mention this [Re: Don Gaynor]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Scott,

If you learn to like great-tasting beers you might enjoy the micro breweries. Seattle has some of the best. It's a ho nudder sperience.

German beer (in Germany) was so much better than their watered-down 3.2% exports. A world of difference! I believe beer in Germany pushes 8% alcohol with 6% being quite common. In German beers you can taste the yeast, a sort of "liquid bread." I can't imagine what upset your digestive tract but possibly you weren't used to it.

I drank Danish Heineken while stationed in Germany so I eagerly bought some when I got back to the States to treat my friends, it was awful.

Germans drink (and prefer) their beer at nearly room temp while US brewers recommend 40F. Below 40F, the flavor is camouflaged and our taste buds begin to shut down. The 40F thing was taught me by my brother-in-law, former GM of Rainer Brewery in Seattle. Test for yourself which has the more flavor 40F (5C) or ice cold.

Cute story: Our landlord came one hot summer day to collect the rent. Seeing that he was miserable in the heat, my wife offered him an ice cold Kesselring from the fridge. She had been heating a baby bottle on the stove so he stuck his beer in the still hot water and warmed it thoroughly. LOL.

What hit my digestive tract weird was MEAD, made from fermented honey and other stuff. I now enjoy heffeweizen when at micro breweries. There are some fairly famous ones from Colorado, even Colorado Springs where I live.

-Scott

#175268 - 10/07/12 03:50 PM [Off-Topic] Re: I forgot to mention this [Re: rockstar_not]
Loc: Ireland
musiclover Offline
Expert

Loc: Ireland
Raisin a glass of Poteen to the ole Irish man Don,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXELvufFxEU

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 7 (32bit) and 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro,Band in a Box 2018 Cubase 5.0 and Cubase elements 7.0.

#175269 - 10/07/12 07:50 PM [Off-Topic] Re: I forgot to mention this [Re: musiclover]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Can't wait to see it John! Give us a shout out if you find out the air date.

#175270 - 10/07/12 08:05 PM [Off-Topic] Re: I forgot to mention this [Re: rockstar_not]
Loc: Sacramento CA
flatfoot Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento CA
I found my self in Charlotte No Carolina last weekend. Had a very nice dinner with some inlaws that I had not met before. Our hostess offered some shine that seemed of very good quality to me. The taste was smooth and complex, not a bit fiery or rough. Fine bouquet.

The only other real shine I ever had was in another family that was part of the same side of the family. Also very refined stuff. I am told that making shine is a long family tradition.

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab

#175271 - 10/07/12 10:58 PM [Off-Topic] Re: I forgot to mention this [Re: flatfoot]
carkins Offline
Journeyman

A few years ago I was visiting a friend in N Georgia and while listening to the local radio station I was surprised to hear an announcement about a conference being held there to train local,state and federal officers on How To Spot A Moonshine Still.
Guess it's still alive and well here in the South.
Wonder how far the taste testing went?

Carkins

#175272 - 10/08/12 08:22 AM [Off-Topic] Re: I forgot to mention this [Re: carkins]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Sorry. It's the Discovery Channel.
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/moonshiners/
15.6" Monitor

#175273 - 10/08/12 02:35 PM [Off-Topic] Re: I forgot to mention this [Re: silvertones]
Loc: Benoni, South Africa
CountryTrash Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Benoni, South Africa
Here in South Africa they make a version they call mampoer. The most popular is the peach derivative but they use different fruits at time. If they get your timing right and you drink some of that i swear your engine will start no problem.....really potent ....

I used to care, but things have changed (Bob Dylan)

BIAB 2019W + RB
M-Audio FastTrack C600, Rode NT2-A
Digitech VoiceLive 4

Epiphone Sheraton, Ibanez 12str, Washburn 6str, Cort 6Str Nylon
Yanagisawa Tenor Sax

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Build 614 Available

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows users... Build 614 is available!

Learn more and download now...

Summary of changes for build 614:
Fixed: Songs would not save plugins on tracks that had a Hi-Q patch selected previously.
Fixed: Hi-Q Patches would not load if the Sforzando VSTi was not in the VSTi plugin list.
Fixed: The Sforzando VSTi was not automatically being added to the VSTi plugin list during bootup (64 bit only).
Fixed: Loading the Hi-Q patch "Hi-Q 040 01 Synth, Analog, FatBass Sforzando" would cause an access violation error.
Fixed: Track Settings > Set Track offset [0] was not working properly.
Fixed: Importing MusicXML files was failing to include melody notes and lyrics.

DAW Plugin 1.10.4 fixes:
Improved: Generation is much faster, at least 4X.
Added: Notification dialog when generation is complete, and a setting to toggle this on/off.
Added: 32-Bit AAX plugin for Pro Tools 10.
Fixed: Soloist not generating on first attempt.
Fixed: MIDI tracks could be rendered at wrong tempo in the Master.
Fixed: Multiriff playback and bar highlighting
Added: Much faster MIDI renders: "No MIDI Renders" option in Custom Generate menu. If this is selected, any MIDI tracks will be left as MIDI and not rendered to wave which takes time.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows® Download and Installation Tutorial

If you've purchased Band-in-a-Box® and want to download it to get started right away - make sure you check out our latest video for assistance! Click here to watch...

RealBand® 2019 New Features Video!

Learn more about the new RealBand® 2019 features with our RealBand® 2019 New Features Overview Video: Click here...

RealBand® is included in all Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchases!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Build 612 Available

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows users... Build 612 is available!

It includes the DAW Plugin patch too!!!

Learn more and download now...

Summary of changes:
Fixed: Songs would not load or save VST data if larger than 1 megabyte, displaying flash message error "VST/FX data is too large to save".
Fixed: It was not possible to use the N key while entering note based lyrics in the Notation window.
Fixed: Recorded MIDI would be erased if also recording audio.
Fixed: The MIDI Driver dialog would not show the selected VSTi or DXi synth after choosing one in the Plugins window.
Updated: PDF and help file documentation.

Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin 1.9.28 fixes:
There are lots of significant fixes and additions in this patch, especially related to some single track operations not working.

Fixed: Right-clicking generate bass track generated all individual tracks
Fixed: StylePicker, RealTracks Picker, and other style and instrument selection windows would sometimes open behind the main window, requiring you to alt+tab to see them.
Fixed: Loading demo from StylePicker or loading a song when a special track was already present sometimes added an extra RealTracks (special track) to page 2
Fixed: Output directory error.
Fixed: BBW sometimes not receiving message when run as administrator. This would cause some actions to hang or not work at all.
Fixed: Skip grey bars when moving selector through chordsheet.
Fixed: Dragging tracks into Reason would sometimes give a 'Not found' error message.
Fixed: AAX Plugin was not being recognized by Pro Tools.
Fixed: Problem scrolling chord table when crossing PartMarker during highlight.
Fixed: Repaint problem in Reason (possibly other DAWs).
Fixed: Some opened BB songs with realcharts on a frozen track would cause an access violation.
Added: Detailed log file written in BB Data folder bbw4exe_pluginLog.txt.
Fixed: Generation of single tracks would hang the program if the bb folder contained the file MaxPluginsToScan.txt containing Max=0. This file should not normally be present except in rare cases where a DX plugin scan failed.
Added: VST2 FX 32-bit version.
Improved: Installer has options for installing all plugin types. All files are now digitally signed.

Video - the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 DAW Plugin for Windows® in Pro Tools®

Check out our latest video that demonstrates the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 DAW Plugin for Windows® in Pro Tools® - Watch now...

View all of our the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 DAW Plugin videos here, or check out the YouTube Playlist.

Video - the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 DAW Plugin for Windows® in PreSonus® Studio One®

Check out our latest video that demonstrates the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 DAW Plugin for Windows® in PreSonus® Studio One® - Watch now...

View all of our the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 DAW Plugin videos here, or check out the YouTube Playlist.

Video - the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 DAW Plugin for Windows® in Reason®

Check out our latest video that demonstrates the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 DAW Plugin for Windows® in Reason® - Watch now...

Forum Stats
28766 Members
60 Forums
56374 Topics
469956 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
FRANK WYBOUW, bjazzy, yanorz, Prodigital, Marc Baum

28765 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 330
RobH 309