Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
W
OP Offline
W
Hello everyone,

I want to transfer some MIDI files from my PC to the internal memory of my Yamaha EZ-200 keyboard, in order to learn to play those pieces using the keyboard's Learning Mode. I connected the keyboard to my PC using a USB-MIDI cable, following the in-to-out out-to-in convention for the MIDI ports. The settings of Yamaha "MusicSoft Downloader" (the software used to copy files from a PC to a Yamaha keyboard) displays the connection as a "USB Audio Device", however I cannot browse the keyboard's internal memory in order to copy MIDI files over. This is without having installed any drivers yet, and without Windows prompting me to install anything upon connecting the keyboard to the PC.

I then downloaded and installed the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver (http://download.yamaha.com/usb_midi/index.html), however it says that no keyboard is connected. This driver is, however, meant to be used with a different cable than mine (http://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/en/instru...03?currency=USD), although the two cables seem to be essentially the same (1 USB port to 2 MIDI ports).

Was anyone able to make such a connection to an older keyboard? I am wondering whether getting this Yamaha "UX16 USB-MIDI Interface" cable would enable the software to access my keyboard's internal memory. I know the EZ200 *is* capable of having files copied to it, because it appears in MusicSoft Downloader's list of models! On the other hand, though, the keyboard appears to not have an internal memory, as there is no Record feature on it...

Any help with this would be tremendously appreciated!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wildetudor,

I see that this is your first post. Welcome to the BIAB community. It's a little early yet for most users, so be patient. Someone will probably be along to address your issue. Good luck, and have fun!

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Someone may be able to help you but does this have anything at all to do with PG Software? I am not seeing even a mention of BIAB or RB. It sounds like an issue for the people who made your interface or Yamaha.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Have a look at yahoo groups, yamaha users. I know there's some good yamaha forums out there. Google yamaha forums and you should come up with some pointers.
From experience I'm pretty sure that you can transfer midi files into your keyboard but only yamaha ez200 files will work with the learning mode. You can download these from yamaha but they can be pricey

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Will your Yamaha read files from a USB flash drive?

Years ago when I had a Yamaha keyboard, it could read floppy disks. I would create my song on Band-in-a-Box, save as a type 1 MIDI file, do some editing with a software sequencer, save as a type 0 MIDI file (that was the only kind the stone-age Yamaha could read) and use Windows Explorer to drag the type 0 MIDI file to a floppy disk. Then I'd use the floppy to load into the Yamaha.

If your keyboard can read files on a USB flash drive, this could work for you. (And a newer keyboard might even be able to read type 1 MIDI files)

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
W
OP Offline
W
Hi Eddie and Richard,

Thanks for your replies! You are right in that my question does not at all relate to any PG software products. However, when searching for a solution to this problem, I found a similar post on this forum by a user who had a slightly different problem, and who advised me to post here, since there might be keyboard players who have experienced a similar dillema and who might be able to help. I thought the "off-topic" section of the forum would be .. off-topic enough for a random question like that

I hope that's ok...

Best wishes,
Tudor

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
MIDI is MIDI, so it should be cross platform. When I did this in the past it was with my Ensoniq boards, and I used an intermediate software written for the Ensoniq ESQ-1. It was a drag and drop just like moving files in windows explorer. The trick was in the software, knowing how to make native MIDI fit the format of the sequencer inside the ESQ-1. All I had to do was assign it to a sequence name inside the synth. Sounds like you have something similar to that in your near future.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Quote:

I hope that's ok...

Welcome Tudor,

I hope that you feel free to return to our group for whatever question you may have!

Don S.

Off-Topic
W
OP Offline
W
I should also mention that I asked this question on more relevant forums (e.g. the Yamaha forum, and keyboardforums.com), and received no helpful replies. The EZ200 doesn't, unfortunately, have any other connections aside from those 2 MIDI ports, so transfering MIDI files that way would be the only option.

I was suggested to use a different cable (this one: http://www.amazon.com/EMU-XMIDI-1X1-MIDI...s=emu+midi+usb) , however at this point I am really doubtful the keyboard knows how to handle external MIDI files, much less store them inside its internal memory!

Off-Topic
W
OP Offline
W
Eddie: in my case, the software that allows drag&dropping MIDIs from the PC to the keyboard would be Yamaha Software, called MusicSoft Downloader, however it does not recognise the USB-MIDI connection, and cannot access the keyboard's internal memory.

If this turn out not to work in the end, I'll probably sell the Yamaha EZ200 and get a Casio LK-280, which *is* meant to take in files, as it has an USB connection, and also has the lighted keys that allow easy visual learning of the piano pieces.

Thanks again for your help.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I really doubt the cable is the issue. If you can communicate events to play notes, you should be able to communicate sysex data transfers. 5 pins is 5 pins.

I can tell you all about Ensoniq, including company history, but I don't know Yamaha keyboards at all. Does your synth even have a sequencer?

Once again, MIDI is MIDI. Internal, external, extraterrestrial... MIDI is MIDI. If the board is capable, there is a way to move stuff from A to B, and that "way" is called sysex (system exclusive). If your board can send and receive sysex data, you are home free. Your manual will address that.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I looked at the online manual for your keyboard and it just wasn't designed to do what you want to do. Your MIDI IN and OUT is going to allow an external program to record MIDI from a performance on your keyboard, and also let an external MIDI sequencer play back a performance using the sound module on the Yamaha. You have no capabilies that I could find to record MIDI files on the EZ 200.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

I looked at the online manual for your keyboard and it just wasn't designed to do what you want to do. Your MIDI IN and OUT is going to allow an external program to record MIDI from a performance on your keyboard, and also let an external MIDI sequencer play back a performance using the sound module on the Yamaha. You have no capabilies that I could find to record MIDI files on the EZ 200.

This is the correct information.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
>>>...I want to transfer some MIDI files from my PC to the internal memory of my Yamaha EZ-200 keyboard...>>>

I googled the EZ 200 quickly and it seems this model does not have internal memory. On my Yamaha DGX, the songs that come installed are completely inaccessible. They cannot be moved or copied.

>>>...The settings of Yamaha "MusicSoft Downloader" (the software used to copy files from a PC to a Yamaha keyboard) displays the connection as a "USB Audio Device", however I cannot browse the keyboard's internal memory...>>>>

I beleive that's the way Yamaha intend it to work. On my keyboard the Yam software enabled copying between a PC and an SD memory card. Very difficult to use.

>>>...This driver is, however, meant to be used with a different cable than mine...>>>

I would not be at all surprised if Yam made it so that only their won cable will work.

Are you able to have the keyboard play songs from a program on your PC? I can play a song in Band in a Box and have the Yam produce the sounds. Are you able to do that? From what I can see this should be allowed, but you may need the Yam cable to do it.

>>>...I know the EZ200 *is* capable of having files copied to it, because it appears in MusicSoft Downloader's list of models!...>>>

Try downloading a manual for this instrument and see what it says.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Okay, you may need to define "files". "Files" as in banks of presets that replace the factory presets, or "files" as in sequences? Huge difference there. I still have a Yamaha FB-01 module from the 80s that would accept custom designed sounds via sysex, but it had no sequencer. The banks of sounds are "files" too. I suspect you have something similar going on here.

Nothing says that you can't PLAY those sequences from another storage and playback device. That would come down to the capability of your synthesizer, i.e. how many voices is it. If it's an 8 voice, you are splitting those 8 voices between different instruments playing back on your tracks.

Again deferring to those more schooled on Yamaha, is his model higher end or lower end? If it has no sequencer, I assume it's the latter, particularly knowing how long ago onboard sequencers became the standard issue.

Off-Topic
W
OP Offline
W
The EZ200 definitely does not have a sequencer, as it is clearly a low end model - I just bought it because of the lihted keys feature. I am currently waiting for a response to an enquiry sent to Yamaha as to whether their USB-MIDI cable (http://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/en/instrument/Keyboard/EZ-200/category/Accessories/product/1013803?currency=USD) is able to transfer MIDI files from a PC to the EZ200. I am not putting my hopes up though, and have started shopping around for a Casio LK-280...

Once again, I really appreciate everyone's input, I'm pleasantly surprised at how this helpful the forum is.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I can tell you their answer, as you have provided it yourself. The board won't do what you want to do no matter what kind of cable you have. It is just not built to store sequences. It may be able to PLAY them, but again, it depends on the synth. My old Ensoniq was made that I could play different tracks back on different patch numbers. Yours may be that it will play piano, or strings, or organ, or brass, but only one of those at a time. On teh ESQ-1, I could play piano on one track, organ on another, strings on another....

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My old Yamaha had limited MIDI capabilities, but that was back in the early days of MIDI. Channel 1 only went in and out the MIDI port, but the floppy would get things in. I didn't keep it long as the MIDI resolution was 96ppq and the sequences I was making on the Atari computer at the time were 240ppq and I could hear the difference. (Remember Atari Computers anyone).

My suggestion would be to get a different keyboard or make mp3s of your BiaB or RB files and use a computer or iPod to play them back.

Here's how I do it: http://www.nortonmusic.com/backing_tracks.html

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

....the sequences I was making on the Atari computer at the time were 240ppq and I could hear the difference. (Remember Atari Computers anyone).

Notes

Oh yea, with my Atari 1040 ST, Dr. T’s software, my Korg DS-8 and a Casio MG510 midi guitar controller I was in seventh heaven! The only thing I have left from those days is my Casio MG510.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I still have two Atari computers. The one I used and another that a friend of mine gave me when he decided to go Mac. I don't even know if they work. I thought about selling them, but I don't know of anyone who would want them.

I have an old Mac too. I used to have two, but while cleaning out some storage space, I plugged in the old Classic (Motorola CPU) and it displayed nothing by gibberish on the screen. To the recycling center it went. I still have a giant IBM CPU eMac that I haven't turned on in years. Another orphaned dinosaur.

But I no longer have my DOS5/Win3.1 through my Win95 computers. I sold them for not much money, but just enough so that somebody wanted them. I figure it kept them out of the landfill for a while.

But the Atari and eMac went ignored on Craigslist. Windows has always had a good bit of backwards compatibility (like BiaB) so most old software still works on Win7 - I wonder if Win8 will change that? I hope not.

I've read some good and bad about Win8 in the PC magazines. I won't get it right away (the cutting edge is the bleeding edge) and time will tell if it becomes another Vista or not.

Notes

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,477
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195