Veteran
Veteran
Chuckle!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
C'mon, Clem won't move to Cleveland?

What's even harder is I don't have any cards to play here. The closest I come is that I kinda sorta know the guy who plays keyboards for Sara Evans, though I have not seen or spoken to him since he moved years ago to play with Trisha Yearwood, and have the same distant friendship with Taylor Swift's guitar player, and I know his cousin much better than I know him. (Ran sound for his band for a while.) And still a 3rd 21 years old friendship with a girl who is down there now on CD #4 yet still doing songwriters night at the Bluebird Cafe. Not really a lot of leverage there.

If I just knew which dumpster Clem was in these days.... didn't he used to be right across from The White Horse Saloon?

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Quote:

Imagine this scenario.

There's a kid named Clem. He can sing. I mean REALLY sing. Clem isn't on a label yet because he can't get a good listen from anybody who can get him there.

I'm not sure this is a real scenario any longer. As far as I can tell, A&R types are paying very close attention to YouTube 'unknowns'. The internet has leveled this playing field significantly. Anyone with a smartphone that can REALLY sing can get on YouTube to show their chops.

As have the 'you name it' talent shows on TV. Nearly every person on those shows as finalists these days are totally unknown. There's one lady on one of them that has been a backup singer for pop/R&B acts, but the rest of them are unheard of for the most part. They've even let some freaky looking folks through because they can sing and perform. There's a dude on one of those shows right now that looks like the sax player from the Muppet show band. A cartoon in real life, but the dude can sing and make like Joe Cocker in a way, though that didn't go very far for the last Joe Cocker wannabee from American Idol - whatzhizname? Taylor something or other - guy with the salt and pepper hair that didn't catch on with the public.

It sure seems like YouTube is where unknown talent gets discovered these days. That's what is getting people on radio, TV, etc. There are no barriers there - or the barriers are incredibly low. Lots of independent artists are getting their material picked up for hip TV shows via social media.

Look at how the folks from Canada that did the cover of "Somebody I Used To Know" made THAT song popular, because of their clever YouTube video that they re-enacted at least once on several of the different talk-shows. What's their name? Fall Off The Earth or something like that? Just checked - Walk Off The Earth. Then the REAL artist got popular here in the US.

This isn't made to rain on anyone's parade, but ye olde 'get discovered' thing is very much different now than even 10 years ago. Fishing in the country music pond for a song to get picked up by a REAL artist is likely shoulder to shoulder with professional fisherpersons, perhaps even more than other genres because of the perception that there's more artists using others' songs in that genre than elsewhere.

If we could figure out how to fan the viral flame, then we would be on to something.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Joe Cocker wannabee from American Idol - whatzhizname? Taylor something or other - guy with the salt and pepper hair that didn't catch on with the public.

Taylor Hicks, who to date has exactly one Ford commercial under his belt. Meanwhile, Daughtry, who was out with 5 playaz yet to go, is a star.

As I have stated before, the very reason I refuse to watch it anymore. It is apparently not about talent when the strongest contestants leave early so the babe with the best cleavage can stay, or people who feel some sort of convoluted pride if a stranger who resides somewhere in their state is in the running ring the phone off the hook voting.

The format of the whole thing stinks. Have a panel of (random number) 25 people who actually KNOW good from bad and let them decide, not a public who has no clue.

Underwood should NOT have won. underwood NOW is better than Bo Bice, but when they were the finalists, he blew her off the stage. He is also an ugly greasy haired dude, and oh, by the way, she is hot. Boom.

You guys who live in the major music towns know the drill. I was in LA for 6 months and did not meet ONE bartender, carhop, gas station worker or retail salesperson who was not a singer, player, dancer or actor. Not one. And every one of them was better than me, and that was when I was at the height of my talent years. I was in a little Italian restaurant and this girl singing was amazing. Then she put down the mic, picked up her tray and went back to work waiting tables. And I lost count of how many times that happened. Lots of talented people out there.

I went to audition for a 4 piece loung act playing sax. I was number 93! For a 4 piece lounge act, THAT many people showed up. One of the other guys was Lon Price, who toured with Al Jarreau. When a guy of that caliber is auditioning for a 4 piece lounge act....

Meanwhile, me and Clem have something we want to say and no choir to sing it to!!!

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Just got home and checked my machine. No call from Clem. Hope he's okay. And that they didn't empty his dumpster....

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Eddie,

Which way are you looking for to win the big song? It seems these posts are contradictory at best.

You want to win with a pop country song, but yet the current and even past system is unfair favoring looks over other stuff.

What is the compelling reason for Clem to pay any attention to you versus doing a cover on YouTube and making it popular? How do you find Clem?

I suggest finding the unsigned YouTube country pop-tarts or thumb in hats and sending them your copyrighted material. See if you can get just one of them to sing for you.

You won't be getting a call from Clem on your machine. You'll get a text or an e-mail.

Don't miss out on your local songwriters circles either. Maybe you'll find Clem there. But you are going to have to win the social media viral contest, IMO, if you don't want to go traditional record company way - who are sponsoring the tv talent shows to a great extent. Easy money for them.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
BTW - if I recall correctly when Carrie Underwood won, there were plenty of other cl*****e contestants. Her face melted the hearts, not her body.

Daughtry had a better story than Taylor Hicks and a more marketable sound and stage presence. Which one is gonna get the backing of the record company? A guy who can wrangle a guitar with machismo with a modern sounding voice, or a guy blowin' on a harp and channeling Joe Cocker from 40 years in the past?

Only a couple of the American Idol winners have truly had staying power. That's what pop music is all about, isn't it? The next Beatles are not going to be discovered on American Idol/The Voice/X Factor. But YouTube - that's where it will be. My guess.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Okay Scott,

You win the "Stump The Old Fat Guy" contest!

What is "cl*****e" ? Maybe you guys in Colorado have a term I'm not familiar with.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
thanks to Kevin, Floyd, Scott and the rest of you for a really interesting conversation! the chances of "making it" in the music business indeed seem pretty slim but it sure helps to have an accurate understanding of the challenges as a starting point! the point about how many good songs are written and shelved is eye-opening to say the least.

one of my favorite singer/songwriters is John Prine. his story is so cool. playing his songs in Chicago bars and getting discovered by a star. and then spending a lifetime doing his music at a level of stardom less than he had hoped for but a good career to say the least. but I have played around Chicago in 2012. and I have met some damn good singer/songwriters (arguably some better than Prine). but few (none?) of them will be discovered and get their big break like Prine did. and most of them seem to think if they keep doing it like it was done in the past they will get their chance.

the ideas discussed here about social media are great but that window may also be closing as millions of people have figured it out and are using it to great effect! hard to go viral when there are thousands of others already viraling! generally, by the time your friends hear about something it is already too crowded to get in on it!

my thought is the more things change the more they stay the same. just like your songs, you need a hook. you need something different. a different sound. a different look. a different story. The Beatles could have been just another doowop 60s band but they did something new. rap and hip hop music didn't even exist when I was a kid. when music videos first came out I'm sure there were bands who used that to achieve their stardom. so what's your hook?

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
@bob I was avoiding a potential "warning sign" word. There are some a e v and g letters in there.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

The Beatles could have been just another doowop 60s band but they did something new.

They did something new MUCH later. When they were first signed, they were playing Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry songs.

I still TOTALLY admire every note of what they did (Sgt Pepper? C'mon now! Maybe the best album ever in my ears.) and they were the first concert I ever went to. Yet for all of what they did at a performance level, for me it was their writing that set them apart. Total genius.

Just because, 10 albums I will always own. A couple of cliches in here but still on my list.

Beatles - Sgt Pepper and Rubber Soul
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Sting - Bring on the Night
Zappa - Joe's Garage and Overnight Sensation
Todd Rundgren - Back To The Bars
Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell

Of course I HAVE everything The Beatles, Sting/The Police, Todd Rundgren/Utopia, Tower of Power, Average White Band and Earth Wind & Fire ever recorded, and several others like Spyro Gyra, Lee Ritenaur... but that 10 is the list of CDs I will always own.

But back to topic, I am sure there is a "Clem" (or a "Clementine") somewhere in the area who is "that" good and needs some material. I just need to find him or her. I know a lot of singers. Churches everywhere are full of good singers, and if they sing well in church choir with all those harmonies, they get a look. (I know... recruiting in CHURCH???) Finding one with the same goals that wants to bother is the thing. Most of them just want to sing in their cover band and make their $100 a gig and have no desire to try and get commercial. The upside is that it's not like I am betting my house that I can get a song on the radio. If it happens, I'll check it off. If not, it won;t be because I didn't try.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The material has to match the artist.
She won't be interested in singing something for the rest of her life if she doesn't 'love' singing it to begin with.
Gotta catch the right artist at the right time with right song.
Crux of the bisquit.
That's the luck part.

Beatles; how many songs did they do that they didn't write? (Hint: They liked what they did). That's a large part of the formula.

and Yes, churches do indeed hold a ton of talent, excellent resource when seeking artists

/my Zappa choice would have been different, a couple others I'd much prefer over Joe's Garage

// topic said it was *opinion*

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
All of you that didn't watch The Voice tonight missed a great performance of Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On?" by Nicholas David - the guy who looks like the Muppet Show band sax player.

Stellar.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Cleavage?

You're using *****'s to spell cleavage? ... Jimminy Freakin' Christmas!

P.S. It onlt takes one * to avoid a "warning sign word".

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
@Bob - I was at work.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Quote:

Quote:

The Beatles could have been just another doowop 60s band but they did something new.

They did something new MUCH later. When they were first signed, they were playing Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry songs.

my point was they could have chosen to stay the same band that played like everyone else but to break out they did lots of VERY NEW stuff. by doing their NEW stuff they assured their place in music history along with fame & fortune of course!

And I have to agree with most of your album choices! But you've hurt your cred by including Meatloaf!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

And I have to agree with most of your album choices! But you've hurt your cred by including Meatloaf!

Most of it written by Steinman, played largely by Rundgren's people, and produced by Rundgren... Mr Loaf was just out front. Steinman and Rundgren are 2 of my favorites.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,

I've read this discussion pretty closely. If your goal is to have a hit song, I missed it. But if your goal is, as you say, to have ONE song on ONE radio station ONE time, I think you can do better than that, doing what you are best at and doing whatever it is that you love. The magic word is--COLLEGE stations. SOME DJ out there will play what YOU write, and not just as a novelty, but because it resonates. Who knows, you could screw up and actually sell some CDs. At the very least you will get some royalties from airplay.

Write what you think is good. Have it copyrighted. Find or create a list of college stations that have that genre somewhere in their rotation. I'm guessing there are at least dozens out of the hundreds that exist. Send 'em a CD (with contact info, of course). Somebody WILL like it and play it. When that happens listeners want to know where they can hear more. Prepare for at least a minor impact.

Just a thought.

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It keeps coming back to beautiful people making it big in the biz. Seems like if you're not outstandingly gorgeous you're just spittin' into the proverbial wind. Bobflatpicker listed Zak Brown as an exception but even Zak has a certain macho stage presence. On the flip side, I've heard a lot of extremely talented folk who are not getting anywhere because of their "average" looks. Emmylou Harris underwent a total body makeover to be more commercially appealing. However, it did absolutely nothing to enhance her beautiful voice or intrinsic talent. She already had those attributes.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

@Bob - I was at work.

That made me giggle.
/We're currently building a website for a company that sells bras ... only bras

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199