Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#181834 - 12/07/12 09:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: In The Bleak Midwinter [Re: SpaceDog]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

The harmonies sound SO much better on this one. Good job David.

#181835 - 12/08/12 03:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: In The Bleak Midwinter [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi David,

I've never heard this song before. It's absolutely beautiful and your arrangement of it really does justice to its beauty. The Miroslav orchestral voices sound sublime. The oboe at the beginning was perfect.

Very, very impressive.

All the best,
Noel

#181836 - 12/09/12 04:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: In The Bleak Midwinter [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Thanks all for the feedback!

Re-doing the harmony vocals made a lot of difference. It was a bit embarrassing to solo the harmony tracks and hear what they sounded like in isolation. I took a cue from Steve Young and tripled each part, so there are about 16 vocal tracks.

It was tempting to line all the harmony tracks on the beat, but pitch correction already made it sound robotic, and making it "too perfect" sounds just like a cheap vocoder.

There are some really nice sounds in the Miroslav Philharmonic. I was doing a short cello instrumental (not BIAB) and found 23 VIOLINS TREM hidden deep in the violin ensemble section. It's a wonderful shimmering sound.

Now I need to find an excuse to use all those fantastic brass sounds...

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#181837 - 12/09/12 08:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: In The Bleak Midwinter [Re: SpaceDog]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

David....

Nice job. Trying to emulate a real instrument in midi is not the easiest.... hence the reason I use BB/RB... but they do not play exact melodies now...do they? So we have to play those parts any way we can.

For better pitch correction with less artifacts try Melodyne. It as transparent as you could want. I use it and hear no artifacts when it's used properly...

Again... good job.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#181838 - 12/10/12 01:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: In The Bleak Midwinter [Re: Guitarhacker]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Hi, Herb.

I used Melodyne (in demo mode) for a first pass of the pitch correction. It's a nice program, and I like the way it lets you modify the modulation, which is something I don't see with other pitch correction software.

My DAW uses the same algorithm that BiaB uses, so it sounds pretty good... As long as you don't pull the pitch too far out of range. It was useful for setting up the harmonies in the first place, but no matter what the algorithm, it'll sound better if you can sing the line in the first place.

The other problem with pitch correction is that when you line up a bunch of pitch corrected vocals, it sucks all the life from it - the pitch correction becomes the dominant sound, no matter how artifact-free.

What I really need to do is spend more time getting good vocals that don't need correction in the first place.

As far as playing "real" instruments goes, what really sells a performance is being able to bring in idiomatic articulations. For example, trills, swoops, falls... that sort of thing. In particular, the "big thing" in sample libraries these days is "legato" note transitions - smoothly connected notes. This can be simulated by suppressing the initial attack in the sample (I think GPO does this) - there's a Kontact library script that's supposed to be pretty good at this.

BiaB 2013 now comes with SampleTank. The reviews I've read for SampleTank are a bit underwhelming, but it provides a standard set of sounds. I suspect that it can be enhanced with custom libraries. If that's the case, I can easily imagine a lot of MIDI functionality could result. For example, imagine a custom sound set of guitar strums (up, down, mute) for different sorts of chords. Combine that with MIDI, and you've got a wide set of styles. Or if you've got a bunch of different violin articulations (staccato, détaché short, legato... etc.) you can combine them together to create a much more convincing performance.

So I can imagine BiaB moving in that direction, combining MIDI with custom sample libraries to move past the restrictions of RealTracks.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#181839 - 12/10/12 08:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: In The Bleak Midwinter [Re: SpaceDog]
Tommyc Offline
Veteran

Great Job David!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
Video Tutorial - Installing Build Updates to Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

We offer free Band-in-a-Box® patch updates throughout the year to enhance existing features and resolve any user-reported bugs.

If you're wanting to see how easy it is to update your installation of Band-in-a-Box® for Mac with one of these free updates, check out our video: Click here to watch it now.

Tips & Tricks - Entering Held Chords in Band-in-a-Box®

Ask a question here on our Forums, and you'll definitely get some helpful answers quickly!

Like this recent post, asking how to "end a bar with a slight tail off or fade" and then resume to the verse... within an hour there was a detailed and accurate response!

We love our helpful forum, packed with enthusiastic & experienced program users - it's such a great resource!

Find Your Style with the Song Titles Browser in Band-in-a-Box® 2020!

Looking for that perfect Style to start your Band-in-a-Box® project with? Don't overlook The Song Titles Browser in Band-in-a-Box®! We update this feature frequently, which allows you to search for a Style that matches a popular song based on title/artist when you type in your criteria within the StylePicker Window.

See this feature in action when you jump to the topic within our 2020 New Features video:
for Windows: 42:37
for Mac: 43:12

Didn't find the song you were searching for? Post your title request to our Wishlist forum: Songs to add to Band-in-a-Box® Titles database and alert our team to work on adding it with the next update - we think that the 3,400 new titles added with Version 2020 is proof that we're paying attention!

Rock Dojo... Top 5 Reasons Why Band-in-a-Box® Rocks!

Check out this nice review from Rock Dojo, Top Five Reasons Why Band-in-a-Box® Rocks!.

Brian, the founder of Rock Dojo, is a Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac user, and couldn't be happier with the program.

It doesn't matter whether you're a guitar teacher or a student guitarist, Band-in-a-Box (BIAB) is must-have software to take your teaching practice or your playing to the next level!
-Brian Parham

Thanks for the great feedback Brian!

Band-in-a-Box® Delivery Explained...

When you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® for Windows or Mac directly from PG Music Inc., you can choose to download your order, ship your order, or BOTH!

Having your Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK shipped? Choose between DVD installation or flash drive installation during the checkout process. Purchasing the UltraPAK or UltraPAK+? These ship pre-installed on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

Don't forget, just because you're order is shipping doesn't mean you can't download it while you wait - you can locate your online order records in your pgmusic.com account, within the "My Products" section.

Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac to the latest build 419 to correct any improper messages for Natural Arrangements, apply VST setting improvements, experience faster customized RealTracks and RealDrums Pickers, and fix a few other user-reported issues within the program.

You'll also receive the latest DAW Plugin version 2.12.15 update, with more than 30 additions and updates, including additional options within context menus, the ability to loop a set of bars by highlighting them, and more!

Learn more about this FREE update and download it here.

Let's Hear Your Band-in-a-Box® Songs!

Working on your first song in Band-in-a-Box®? Or maybe you've built up a great collection of songs... Make sure to share them to the User Showcase Forum where other program users post their original songs too! Receive feedback, build your audience, and connect with other enthusiastic program users - you'll be happy you did!

While you're there, make sure to listen to some of the other great songs posted!

Forum Stats
32905 Members
68 Forums
66265 Topics
563048 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Kevin H, gavonutube, DougB, Jamalud, mtu1250

32904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
eddie1261 164
VideoTrack 153