Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#181909 11/30/12 11:33 AM
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
When changes are made in the chord chart, you need to regenerate to make them appear in the track, correct?

How about when you make changes in the track? What do you do to make the chord chart correct?

The song I am working on called for me to make 3 instances of a measure of 2/4 time and then right back to 4/4. That change, made in the track view, TOTALLY threw the chord chart out of kilter.

Can I make the timing change in the chord chart so it stays in sync with the actual track view? It was a MESS after I made that change! Part markers had moved, chords were all wrong.... I now just gave up on the chord chart completely for that song.

I have a LOT of trouble with the chord chart. Unfortunately, that's how you chart chords (hence the name - see how well it works out sometimes?) so there is no way to not use it,

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran

If you make a time sig change like that, you have to redo the chord chart in my experience.
In your example, you may have been able to use copy/paste to move the chords where you wanted, but you have to pay attention to the checkboxes during the procedure.
In Copy/Paste there is a checkbox for chords. In habit I highlite a dummy track when trying to copy/paste 'chords only' so I only change the chords and not change a track inadvertantly.
There is a pretty good chance you could have used copy/pasta for the chord progression and put it a measure or two later and saved some work. Then changed the couple measures that were left if needed.

Part markers I'm not so sure about. That may be the stickler. Seems I remember issues with that before too.
Probably not many of us actually go in and change time sig after having chord progression and generated tracks in existence already.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #181911 11/30/12 05:51 PM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I've complained about the part markers issue for ages and have given up.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Also Harv, when I executed that time change to add the 2/4 measures, it was in no way indicated on the chord chart, and I saw no way to make it happen, so the chord chart was 2 beats off for a while, then came back to sync the second time I added a 2/4, but then was out of sync again when I added the 3rd 2/4 measure. With cutting and pasting I have what I need musically, but what a drag that you in essence can't program "off measures" into the chord chart.

But the difficult thing was that the actual chords got hosed up. Suddenly there were refrains I didn't put there, parts repeated, 4 measure sections of a chord inserted themselves.... changing path partway through a song can't be that hard.

2. Send it to us.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie, I make a lot of changes after the chord chart has been done too. I frame out my arrangement in BIAB because it's faster since I've always done it that way. But I really flesh it out in RB. The style I start with has little to do with where I end up or what RT's I use by the time I'm done. And sometimes I have more than one seq file where I can try things and always go back to the original if need be.

It helps to watch the check boxes as mentioned. Like you I've had the chord chart beyond recognition before I noticed those checkboxes. I still manage to mess it up if I get distracted and forget. Sometimes I change it to generate one part and then change it back. It's a lot to keep up with what checkbox needs to be checked/unchecked if you're into heavy editing. But I'm not sure how the process could be made better.

What I wish is that just simply removing a chord symbol was as simple in the RB chart as it is in BIAB. Changing the chord symbol easy - removing one not - and I don't get why it's not the same....

In my experience just go back to the chord chart and manually fix it when you miss a checkbox and then save so regenerating another instrument matches or at least mostly matches what you want.

I'm glad you brought this up. I thought it was just me. Kind of nice to know I'm not the only one who's mangled a RB chord chart.

Edited to add - sorry have no clue how to make it show a time sig change.

Last edited by Sundance; 12/01/12 07:51 PM.
rharv #181914 12/02/12 08:55 AM
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

There is a pretty good chance you could have used copy/pasta

You can copy pasta????

The thing about this was that after I made the change at measure 31 to go to 2/4 and then back to 4/4 at measure 32 (and again twice later) I ended up with like 8 bars of the same chord entered at places in the song I never even came close to. At some random spot like bar 13 there was 8 measures of D. The chord sheet just got totally confused when I did that tempo change. And the only reason that mattered was when I tried to generate some guitar solo lines at bar 72, the chords it was supposed to play were completely wrong. I ended up saving as is, opening a new song, creating a chord sheet for those 8 bars of solo, generating 8 solos, cutting and pasting what I wanted, saving that as a WAV, and importing it into the original song. A workaround to be sure, but a Shaq sized PITA to get there.

2. Send it to us.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
You may know this already but here goes. If you're going to use RB as a regular DAW (sequencer) then basically the chord grid (grid, not chart a chart is a piece of paper you read) doesn't exist. Once you start with the track manipulation by moving chunks of audio around, you don't need the chord grid. Think like you're using Sonar. RB allows you to generate one track only or simply parts of a track like a 4 bar transition part for some strings or whatever. You can change the chord grid entirely from track to track. In RB I've created songs using 3 or 4 different chord grids. What you're asking about assumes you're using RB as if it were Biab. It's not.

I see this still isn't real clear, let me try again. For me anyway, I see RB as a real studio. In a studio, what are you doing? You're recording individual tracks individually. Biab records all the tracks at once in one shot. In a studio yes you can record a whole band in one shot but you're still recording individual players, and they go back and redo, overdub, whatever certain parts all the time. Each track stands on it's own. If you're thinking of the chord grid controlling the whole song, use Biab not RB. In RB I use the chord grid on a per track or part basis. I could care less what the chord grid looks like when I'm finished. If I need a chart of the whole finished thing I've done in RB, I'll load it into Biab to create the chart which I've done on several occasions. Sometimes it's fun after a project is finished to go into Biab and play around with different styles but the RB project is set in stone.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hmmm..... okay we obviously have user error here. Well, more like user not knowing how something works.

I an best ask my follow-up question by just describing a scenario. I lay out my 108 measures of chord progression, hit the generate. Real Band, and I am going to specify Real Band everywhere lest we get lost in a maze of Real Band vs BIAB, it generates my drums, my bass, my rhythm piano, my rhythm guitars..... I save. I do my singing, I save. I add some sweetening instruments that I play manually. I save. Now I walk away and have lunch. I come back and start Real Band again. I load that song. I look at the chord chart and it is totally pooched for some reason. The chords do not match what the song is playing. Now when I go to measure 72 to add a guitar solo, it generates over the wrong chords.

So at that point, if I understand what you are saying, I could totally erase that chord chart and create a new one starting at measure 72 to JUST generate the solo?

If your answer to that is "yes", you made my life a LOT easier.

2. Send it to us.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yes.
The other tracks are already audio, and the chord chart is used for only newly generated tracks or sections. Sometimes experienced users alter the chord chart to make a new solo generate a certain way, then set it back.

My question is, how did the whole chord chart get hosed in the first place?
I have seq files many years old that the chord chart is still good in.

Do you have the chord chart set to automatically refigure the chords when a file is opened?
Open chord window, right-click and see if the options are telling it to re-write the chords when it opens..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #181918 12/02/12 04:25 PM
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It started when I changed those 3 individual measures to 2/4 time and then right back to 4/4 time.

The next day I went to work on guitar solos, and without checking the chord chart (I had no reason to at that point) I selected my measures and generated. I did that 8 times on 8 tracks so I had many measure to cut and paste into a decent solo. When I hit playback on the first one, the chords were not what they should have been. The basic 7 tracks above it were fine.

So let's recreate in more detail.

I sat down with Excel and a guitar. I played the thing through to know my changes, entering them into a spreadsheet as I created. When I liked it, I entered it into the RB chord sheet. I generated drums, bass, rhythm tracks. Then I decided to make that one small timing change for effect, and I went to bar 31 and changed it to 2/4 time, reverting to 4/4 at bar 32. I did the same thing at bar 51, and then another one later at whatever bar number. Here's where it probably happened. To effect that one bar of 2/4, I snipped audio from somewhere else and pasted it in. In both places. So 2/4 and 2/4 = 4/4, or one measure, and that pushed my chord chart back by 2 x 2/4.

As I said, I worked around it, but I would like to think that since making a chord change in the chord sheet and regenerating reflects in track view, the other way around should compensate as well. This situation shows that I would be wrong in thinking that.

I take from this thread that once I have audio tracks and save I can eliminate that chord chart completely since I won't be regenerating the whole song again, and that when I want to create a small snippet I can do that by entering chords in the chord chart for just that spot.

(There's always a however.)

However, that chord chart does not show those 2 measures of 2/4, so how do I line it up? Can I make that chord chart show the meter change so the measures line up with what is in track view?

2. Send it to us.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,615
Members38,498
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications
38,497 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 192