Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Good Saturday BIAB friends!

**This topic may be covered extensiviely, would be happy to get some links** Thanks!)

Recently got the EVERYTHING PAK HD (Windows 2012.5) and when loading some real track tune (Jazz or Country) I notice piano riffs, comping and guitar rhythm tracks are slightly out tune to my own instruments. Any remedy to this? It is very discouraging.

My instruments are high quality, well intonated and I play in tune. I have a long history as a producer and professional musician (for reference). These real tracks are definitely slightly OUT of 440. I would not tolerate this type of mis tuning for a recording or a live performance.

Most Bass tracks seem great.

Any help or guidances, tricks, work arounds etc. would be appreciated. Can post clips if need be but I assume others have run into this.

Many thanks!! THR

Veteran
Veteran
Hi THR,

Welcome to the forums.

Sounds like your sound card is set to 48 kHz and the "Let application take control" option is not activated.

Realtracks are 44.1 kHz and, because of this, BIAB needs to control the soundcard. When the option I've highlighted is functioning, everything should work ok (it does for me at least).

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks Noel. I appreciate the reply.

For reference and with respect to your intent, I have a long history and much experience in music production. This is not something as extreme as 48khz vs. 44.1khz . Some instruments (not all) are literally .01% out of tune and it is discouraging, as if they were recorded slightly out (imagine a guitar note slightly sharp on the tuner, enough so you desire to flatten it) . Also, my sound card is a high-end interface that is accurate with a very stable digital clock.

These tracks are in tune at 44.144 khz. I suspect perhaps the speed/slow function of BIAB has slightly changed the tuning? Sounds that way. Doesn't happen in Nuendo or Cubase. Perhaps I should have bought the Audiofile edition to get the original tracks untouched? We see what I can do. Thanks again.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
More info:

If I go around a cycle of 4ths...I am in PERFECT tune with the bass and piano for SOME of the keys, however Ab, Eb, F#, B, E, A and D I am OUT... and this is true if I use a digital piano as reference also or any other guitar. This is definitely a .wav file tuning issue.

Anybody else experience this?

Thanks!~

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
If I DRAG and DROP the original audio files into Cubase and create the same tracks/song with those real band files, they play perfectly in tune in every key. BIAB interface/program has some slight tuning challenges with certain instruments in certain keys at certain speeds. At least the version I just got. Doesn't matter if I play it from the supplied BIAB drive or my computer.

The files played in Cubase are alive, they breathe, they sound like I would expect session players and quality recording to sound.

Thank you.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

The files played in Cubase are alive, they breathe, they sound like I would expect session players and quality recording to sound.

Thank you.

Yes, exactly has we would expect.

Not sure exactly what problem you were/are having but glad you found a workflow to get things moving fowared. Perhaps someone else can confirm your problem. I don't generally circle thorough differnt keys, and many of us do move over into DAWs with the RTs as soon as we rough them out in BIAB. Also I am afraid my ear may not well tuned.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Hi TexasHeartRush,

Something is amiss somewhere in your setup from what you report.

I am a stickler for intonation and can hear one cent difference easily. Not to brag, but just to let you know that this is not normal operation for Band in a Box at all. If it was, I wouldn't have stuck with the program all these years. <g>

So let's get to troubleshooting this report in an effort to solve your problem:

**I realize that you've already stated that these are all Realtracks that do this, but I need first to know for certain if these intonation problems are found strictly on RealTracks files (the tracknames would be Green for Realtracks) or if there are any MIDI tracks involved (MIDI tracknames are indicated in Yellow).**

If they are MIDI tracks that are out of tune, there is a method of handling that, depending upon what is in use for the MIDI synthesizer. This would be the situation I first suspect here.

If these are indeed all Realtracks that are going desafinado, I've never heard that happen here - yet - and am inclined to think that since the files import into another software and play just fine, BiaB may need to be reset to factory settings in order to have it rewrite a critical internal file that can sometimes become corrupted in the event of a crash, freeze or otherwise ungraceful exit of the program.

**In BiaB, under the Options menu, try selecting the SECOND "Return to Factory Settings" choice, because that one will also re-invpoke the Soundcard and MIDI Wizard, resetting parameters inside that volatile file.**

**Forgive if you've already stated this, but what VERSION of Band in a Box are you using? (use the Help->About to view the report) also please include the Update number reported there.**

**Visiting the BB Support pages and downloading/installing the last posted patch update for your version *may* also solve this problem. There is a link directly to the BB Support pages at the bottom of my posts in the dotsig.**

Again, intonation problems are NOT normal behavior/behaviour for Band in a Box Realtracks at all. This is to include the standard realtracks version as well as the "audiophile" version. The only difference I can hear if using the Audiophile Realtracks is a slightly heightened top of the frequency response curve, so slight that I'd bet the rent that a double blindfold would be quite revealing, if you know what I mean <g>.

Try those suggestions and let us know how it goes, amigo.

--Mac

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks JazzManDan and Mac! I appreciate the dialog and support.

Version: 2012.5 - Everything Pak HD

My System: Windows 7 Professional (64 bit) -Intel i7- 920 @ 2.67 Ghz- 16G ram (corsair).
My Interface: RME FireFace 800 using the internal clock.

Issue: SOME of the keys are out of intonation with string/piano instruments when playing)...and ONLY with real tracks. MIDI output is perfect.
Some country tunes the guitar/dobro/acoustic is out (tuned to about 44.144) but the bass seems OK.

When I cycle 4ths the first 4 keys are perfect...then it goes out slightly. But the SOUND QUALITY is great, just off intonation (challenge to the ear LOL).

And... when the same song is DRAGGED and DROPPED to Cubase 6.5, all is perfect.

MAc, I am willing to reset to factory settings. Question will I lose my saved .SGUs?

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Some suggestions:
- reset to factory as has been suggested
- change tempo to 140 or higher. You are stretching the tempo lower (140-130), which can introduce artifacts (Elastique stretching engine)
- try enabling Prefs-RealTracks-High Quality Pitch Shift
- (since you report that the rendered files sound fine) right click on combo, and choose "Render Song to Audio Track" - then you will hear a rendered version, which may have less artifacts.
- (since you report that the rendered files sound fine) Use RealBand, which renders the tracks first. RealBand will open your BB songs, you just run RealBand, choose File-Open and then press the BB button to generate the song.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
THR, no, you would not lose your .SGU songs.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Quote:

Some suggestions:

- (since you report that the rendered files sound fine) right click on combo, and choose "Render Song to Audio Track" - then you will hear a rendered version, which may have less artifacts.
- (since you report that the rendered files sound fine) Use RealBand, which renders the tracks first. RealBand will open your BB songs, you just run RealBand, choose File-Open and then press the BB button to generate the song.

I reset to factory settings. Seems about the same. When I open Real Band I have some issues unfortunately.

Real Band just crashes on me each time I open it (runs my CPU through the roof). I get multiple error messages constantly, audio gets fizzly and warbly. It is telling me it is not a valid install...etc. etc. Let em get a few screen shots.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
If it crashes when you open it, how do you get far enough to know that the "audio gets fizzly and warbly"?

If using ASIO, I'd recommend switching to MME driver.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Quote:

If it crashes when you open it, how do you get far enough to know that the "audio gets fizzly and warbly"?

If using ASIO, I'd recommend switching to MME driver.

With respect, I did not say it crashes UPON opening it, I said it crashes each time I open it (although it HAS crashed upon opening also). I have a great deal of experience with computer/audio programs Peter and RealBand is simply not functioning properly. That's why I am posting this. Your advice to use it prompted this post.

Also, there are no REAL TRACKs that play when I open standard BB songs. Only Midi tracks show up and REAL drums. Perhaps I misunderstood your post or the function of RealBand? Do I need to assign real tracks to bb songs in BIAB first?

Here are SOME of the screen shots (and CPU shot) I have gotten EACH time I open RealBand.
My system is fast and stable, my RME FireFace is also stable (ASIO is stable in all other audio applications as well)

Thank you,

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
First recommendation would be to install the fonts. There is an installer on the disk.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Quote:

First recommendation would be to install the fonts. There is an installer on the disk.

Peter, can you direct me to WHERE the font installers are on the disk (or send me to link). I can find installers in the folder PGMusic and it is Setup.Exe for RealBand and BIAB. Nothing in the RealBand folder.

Edit: Here is shot of EXACTLY what shows on the HD disk I received.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Run any of the installers. There is ReadMe that describes them. You can either install

1. - just the fonts (minimal <1MB)
2. - Fonts + theProgram (no RealTracks, no RealDrums) (about 5GB)
3. - Everything (Fonts + theProgram + RealTracks + RealDrums) (about 60GB)

Options #3 is best, because you could put the USB drive away then. But you need to have 60GB free.
If you don't have 60GB free, chooise option #2. Then you run the programs from your hard drive (c:\bb\bbw.exe and c:\realband\realband.exe). If you do this, you need to point BB to your RealTracks Prefs-RealTracks and your RealDrums folder: Prefs-RealDrums. If your USB drive is e:\ then these folders would be e:\bb\realtracks and e:\bb\drums

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Quote:

Run any of the installers. There is ReadMe that describes them. You can either install

1. - just the fonts (minimal <1MB)
2. - Fonts + theProgram (no RealTracks, no RealDrums) (about 5GB)
3. - Everything (Fonts + theProgram + RealTracks + RealDrums) (about 60GB)

Options #3 is best, because you could put the USB drive away then. But you need to have 60GB free.
If you don't have 60GB free, chooise option #2. Then you run the programs from your hard drive (c:\bb\bbw.exe and c:\realband\realband.exe). If you do this, you need to point BB to your RealTracks Prefs-RealTracks and your RealDrums folder: Prefs-RealDrums. If your USB drive is e:\ then these folders would be e:\bb\realtracks and e:\bb\drums

Thanks Peter. All this mentioned ^^^ had already been done last night. I re-installed just the fonts (using custom selection) and had same issues and troubles right now. I just uninstalled BIAB COMPLETELY and deleted all files. RE-installing fresh now. Will know more in about an hour.

EDIT: While reinstalling I ran into the same issue as last night. Files missing from my new BIAB 2012.5 HD. If I choose 'ignore' it will continue, but I will get these messages at least 10 times during the install process. Happened last night as well.

Veteran
Veteran
THR,

That's a most unusual message. After reading through this thread and a couple of questions came to mind.

1. What directory are you installing the program to? Is the default c:\bb? (On Win 7, problems will arise if the program is installed into Program Files as well as a couple of other Windows-protected locations.)

2. Is it possible that you have a couple of installations on your hard drive? This has happened in the past for some users and has created unusual problems.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
You should try the notation window in Band-in-a-Box to see if you've successfully installed the fonts. If you ran the installer, but don't have the fonts installed, then you'd be the only customer (out of thousands) that's been unable to install the fonts. In this case, it would likely be due to some anti-virus or firewall-type program blocking you from installing anything to the System folder. And of course reboot your system, since you've been reporting all kinds of problems (audio, disk copying, font installation etc.)

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Quote:

THR,

That's a most unusual message. After reading through this thread and a couple of questions came to mind.

1. What directory are you installing the program to? Is the default c:\bb? (On Win 7, problems will arise if the program is installed into Program Files as well as a couple of other Windows-protected locations.)

2. Is it possible that you have a couple of installations on your hard drive? This has happened in the past for some users and has created unusual problems.

Regards,
Noel

It is installed in the default location. This is the recommenced location by BIAB. No other versions installed.
I have full admin functions in Win 7 and run as admin if I have to. I have gotten around/through any Win 7 'protected' or admin obstacles for all my audio programs. I think I had a corrupt install last night. The disc HD kept giving me error messages. I just kept re-trying until I got it installed.

Here is a screen shot of BIAB notation after re-install (with a randomly chosen song file).

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,691
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200