Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
K
kristen Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
K
Has anyone tried Per Bristow's Singing method Sing with freedom , and his forum The Singing Zone? I really can't find any reviews other than those that somehow "appear sponsored" .
I am looking for real people who can say what they think of his method.

Super K

Kristen of "Blues Matters"
http://www.motagator.net/bluesmatters
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

...I really can't find any reviews other than those that somehow "appear sponsored" .
I am looking for real people who can say what they think of his method.

If you find such to be the case after a good search, that factor alone may already have answered the question.

If you are really serious about vocal training, why not look for a qualified private tutor or instructor in your area? Local music schools, colleges and universities, even asking at local music stores might get you some leads.

And there really is nothing that will outdo such a personalized approach.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I'd be interested in this as well. I viewed a video of his a while back and still get regular reminders about the method in the mail. If the course is half as good as his marketing then it should be ok. Maybe you could try over in the Reaper forums or one of the "more professional musician's forums". No offense intended, but this forum doesn't seem to have too many professionals in it (people who have to earn a living by making music), so they are all pretty happy with their singing.

Chris
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Maybe you could try over in the Reaper forums or one of the "more professional musician's forums". No offense intended, but this forum doesn't seem to have too many professionals in it (people who have to earn a living by making music), so they are all pretty happy with their singing.

Well I do have to admit you made me smile with that critique of our little home crowd . But really, professionals over in the Reaper forum... you may be giving those guys a little more credit then due!

And of course - no offence taken....

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
So just for the halibut, I entered his name into Youtube.

This is the first of his videos that came up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vbKjySV5Ko

Maybe that was just a bad example or something, I thought, so I clicked on the second one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHMrnL0amjE

If his own vocal examples here are any indication, I'll pass.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi Kristen,

I totally agree with MAC, you need to find a teacher. You can't learn to sing properly from watching videos or reading about techniques. If you are already training with a teacher, and have an understanding of vocal production, then it's interesting to look up this additional info.

When you are training with a professional teacher, they are watching for many things, such as, your breathing and support, how you are shaping your vowels, where your tongue is and so much more. This is one reason I don't offer advice on forums (I had 16 years of classical vocal training and now teach a few young singers). A teacher needs to see what you are doing, even a thing like having your weight forward and not back on your heels makes a difference.

As Mac said, you need the one on one personalized approach.

All the best!

yjoh

[i]Music...a joy for life.
Off-Topic
K
kristen Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
K
I did have lessons a while back. Very expensive and I am not really a serious enough vocalist anyway. i would much rather buy a guitar or update BIAB with my money. I have my own style and just want to try and improve it a little. I will check out some other areas.

I am surprised that I didn't hear many reviews though, positive or negative. I would think if it was bad there would be quite a few negative reviews out there (usually people will complain publicly if they are really angry. I wonder if there is a way to "squelch" bad reviews on the internet? But that's another topic altogether.

Super K

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi Kirsten,

A quick post, this site has a lot of useful info and good advice if you want to check it out. (Professional lessons are still the only way to go though, they are worth the money in the end)

http://www.vocalist.org.uk/index.html

All the best!

yjoh

[i]Music...a joy for life.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
yjoy,

Kristen didn't ask what was the best form of instruction available. She asked about one instructor and possible options, (as I recall).

Kristen,

A good home course is available from Homespun:

http://www.homespuntapes.com/Instruments/Vocal/singing-basic-vocal-technique

I have it and used it years ago, back when it on cassette. It's a good course.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I said "or" one of the more professional forums I guess I should have used a comma there. There are voice training forums out there somewhere.

I just found this forum, could be of interest
http://themodernvocalist.punbb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?id=4168

Last edited by sinbad; 12/12/12 03:36 AM.

Chris
Off-Topic
K
kristen Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
K
Thank you all. Gonna hold off on this .

Super K

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Thank you all. Gonna hold off on this .

Kirsten, The singlemost important thing you can do right now to improve your singing abilities is to work on your ear.

Learning to NAIL the Major Scale intervals, correctly and IN TUNE.

Use of the old, "Do-Re-Mi" is a plus IMO, but not entirely necessary.

Being able to keep the tuning of the tempered scale, by being given a starting note, the Tonic, and then being able to sing through a simple tune without deviating from the tuning of the scale is the first thing any singer should aspire to "own" and that is done by practicing doing same daily.

All the rest, breathing, learning to sing with power, vibrato or no vibrato, etc. will be to no avail until that Major Scale is firmly locked into the brain and thus the vocal chords.

The Major Scale is the basis for all Western Musics. From there we branch out to minor (the natural minor scale is actually inside the Major Scale, from the 6th to the 13th, which is where we get that "Relative minor" jazz from) and the all-important Major and minor Pentatonic scales.

Until we can nail them, staying in tune, by ourselves, by practicing singing them along with a well-tuned instrument and then gradually removing the well-tuned instrument from the sessions until only the voice is able to carry the tune, all else is a wash.

I listened to your recordings and am just trying to help out here.

Inside Band in a Box are Ear Trainer, plus a few other music games designed to help with all of this, it is well worth ten to twenty minutes a day of your time and the ears can and will start to lock onto these issues if you spend the time with it. The time involved is not all that long, either, for most people.

*Practice singing those simple "childhood" songs by yourself, trying to keep all the notes right where they belong after getting a note from the instrument for the Tonic. This can be *any* western simple song that you happen to remember, but you can also find many webpages that list these kind of songs for the purpose of ear training, improvisation, etc. Most will be centered around playing a musical instrument, but always remember that your voice IS a musical instrument, matter of fact, the human voice is the FIRST musical instrument.

Sing these softly, just enough power to be able to control the pitch and always try to sing them "musically" -- as if each one was a performance. If you make a mistake, don't keep going, stop and start over again from the beginning. That way we practice much more efficiently by not "practicing the mistake" with the thing.

The EAR is the thing that controls what comes out of the mouth...

Training that ear, then, is the most important factor.

All the rest is icing on the cake.

One more important thing about all of this to incubate: "Deep Desire"

--Mac

Off-Topic
K
kristen Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
K
Thanks Mac. Maybe YOU should make a singing book!

Super K

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Ofcourse, as Mac said, it is very nice and importand to keep in tune. But believe it or not; that is not the hardest part of singing. Singing requires you to train and control a whole lot of muscles. Knowing wich muscles and how to control them is the real trick.
When you have a good technique you will be able to sing in tune easilly (that is, if you have a trained ear...)

You may want to look into these two world renown and proven singing techniques: EVTS and CVT

There are some excellent books out there on these techniques, but be warned: you can not learn the techniques properly without some sort of vocal coaching. A vocal coach (or singing teacher or whatever you want to call it) can see, feel and hear if you are doing things the proper way. The proper way is the way that will not hurt or damage your voice! This may vary from singer to singer. Even if you would take a few lessons you would be pointed in the right direction and you might be able to actually feel if what you're doing is what's discussed in the books.

Last edited by Mike sings; 12/13/12 04:05 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Kristen,

Have a look at the below link for Renee Grant-Williams. I was at a seminar of hers once and I found her very very helpful (I've still got a long way to go before I reach the outermost edge of the word "good" but Renee did help me on my way!)

http://www.myvoicecoach.com/index.html

I bought the DVD that you can find under "Products" (US$60). I've just discovered that she has free online lessons, too!

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Kirsten,

When I read bobby's above post, the first thing that sprang to mind was...

"Hmm... It seems bobby specifically signed up to the forums to answer your question."

Even though he says he's not affiliated with Per Bristow, his post seems to be very 'sales pitch' oriented. I may well be wrong but in the world of www, I've found it's always better to be cautious.

Just an observation.

Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 02/22/14 03:33 PM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah, my spammy senses were tingling.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Kristen,

Check out the Born To Sing offerings by two LA teachers. I used to use their original tapes years ago for warm ups and practice. They've been around a LONG time and won't break your bank. Not as glitzy marketing as some but very good exercises.

http://www.amazon.com/Born-Sing-Beginners-Advanced-Voice/dp/0934419345/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397143153&sr=1-2&keywords=Born+to+sing

http://www.borntosing.com/

Josie

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Kristen !

If you like singing but you
are not ready to pay a lot for it
I would recommend joining a barbershop
chorus in your vicinity ! :)) That way
you would get to train your singing
and tuning abilities practically for
free !!:))

Cheers
Dani

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hmm...

It's interesting that the people who keep reviving this post only make a single post. Also, it seems that that single post is devoted entirely to reviving this thread. Have a look at Vrinda, amyrose, massiwippi, marklame, bobbybro.

It makes me wonder if Per Bristow is working behind the scenes to keep his name in the spotlight; a bit of free advertising and self-promotion.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199