Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
A whole bunch of high horse riding in this thread, as well as contradiction. On one hand some are saying that nomination and entry should be talent based. Then questioning whether someone is worthy because they didn't have hits.

Hip Hop is full of hitmakers, Public Enemy being one of them. Hit makers in the extreme. So which criteria is being applied here? Talent, hits, both? It's hall of fame not hall of talent.

Here's a challenge. Try rapping in a way that is rhythmic and creative. Use your own words. Use your own style. Try it. I don't know that I've ever heard ANYONE ELSE on this forum post some raps of their own attempt. I'm putting mine out here for your ridicule.

Until you try it, and see how hard it really is, then quit with the 'play a beat and say a rhyme' is something anybody can do.

I'm serious about this.

I've tried it. It's harder than made out here. Here's my efforts, where are yours?

Could Have Been Me: http://rockstarnot.rekkerd.org/fawm2010/Scott%20Lake%20-%20Could%20Have%20Been.mp3

Supermarket Shoppa: http://rockstarnot.rekkerd.org/songs/newer/0707%20rockstarnot%20supamarket%20shoppa.MP3

By the way, this last one won a KVR monthly song contest - tied for 1st place and the person to whom the whole song refers is the guy who used to run the contest. We had to take samples from his previous songs and use them in some creative way. Out of all the entries, I won his vote (and he hates rap).

So, hop down from the horse for a bit and give it a try. Your perspective may change.

Do I normally rap - absolutely not - I'm a folkie if anything. But I'll be the last person to say someone else's job is easy until I give it a try myself.

Don't give me any of that "It's below me" type of attitude either.

-Scott

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I would think that it should be more than sales (fame) that gets someone into the Hall of Fame.

Movie Oscars don't go to the best box office, if they did it would be Spiderman and Hangover Part 2 up this year, instead of Lincoln and Argo. If you look at the 100 top grossing movies, it's hard to find many that belong in the top 100 "best" movies from an artistic perspective. http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/ Kung Fu Panda is # 59, should that be in the Movie Hall of Fame?

Is it a stretch to say that the same thing applies to music? The biggest consumers of both music and movies are teenagers. They put rap and Justin Bieber at the top of the charts.

If sales of rap were dismally low, would you still be saying that its artists should be in the Hall of Fame? I wouldn't. Sales don't sway me. I'm with Ray Charles on this one...

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I would think that it should be more than sales (fame) that gets someone into the Hall of Fame.

Movie Oscars don't go to the best box office, if they did it would be Spiderman and Hangover Part 2 up this year, instead of Lincoln and Argo. If you look at the 100 top grossing movies, it's hard to find many that belong in the top 100 "best" movies from an artistic perspective. http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/ Kung Fu Panda is # 59, should that be in the Movie Hall of Fame?

Is it a stretch to say that the same thing applies to music? The biggest consumers of both music and movies are teenagers. They put rap and Justin Bieber at the top of the charts.

If sales of rap were dismally low, would you still be saying that its artists should be in the Hall of Fame? I wouldn't. Sales don't sway me. I'm with Ray Charles on this one...

Amen Peter. Well said.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Curious to know a couple of things Scott.

What kind of town did you grow up in? And where do you live now? What is the racial demographic?

And you are what, middle 30s?

I don't like rap or hip-hop for some simple reasons. It isn't my culture. I did not grow up listening to it because it wasn't around yet, and I did not assimilate into the hip-hop culture because I have never been into an establishment in a part of town where that is the music of choice. When I do go out to see a band (very rare event) it is a band that plays what pleases me. Oldies or Motown.

I also don't take a shine to Celtic, bluegrass, old school cryin' in your beer country, Klezmer, chamber..... I have been exposed to everything having been a music student, and I appreciate the talent it takes to play anything, but I don't have to like it just because I appreciate it.

The town I live in, as well as the city I grew up in, is extremely polarized to a level where if you go to a neighborhood you don't belong there is a good chance you will not leave with your car, wallet, cell phone, money, and teeth. In some cases, your life goes on that list. I am sure there are areas in your state like that, but I have a feeling you don't live in one of them.

The point is, as PG said, the most sales doesn't not constitute quality. Add to that a working definition of what a Hall of Fame in ANY area of endeavor is supposed to be for, and that adds up to my assertion that there are acts in the rock HOF that should not be there either because they are not rock or because they did not contribute to the maturation of the art.

Hall Of Fame, by definition, should be reserved for those who excelled at their craft. I pass the Pro Football HOF twice a day, as it is between where I love and where I work. I have never been in there. The place has been around for so long that in order to have a big MONEY MAKING induction weekend every August, the membership is really quite diluted to a point where there are more just above average players in there than true standouts. Remembering that there used to be far fewer teams that played fewer games with smaller rosters than today, before money was the bottom line, the old guard are the true greats of the game. Joe Namath racked up truly average numbers over his career, but based on that one year where his team shocked the world with a Super Bowl win in a game nobody said they could win, he is in the hall of fame. The same holds true for baseball and basketball. And sadly, music as well.

I remember when the rock hall started, when there were at least rough guidelines about how long a band or artist had to be "retired". IMHO it would mean more if the honor of being in the HOF if the award came after a band really retires like the sports halls do it. Of course it isn't apples and apples since you can play music into your 70s where you can't play football into your 70s, but you get the idea.

That's a whole different soapbox though about old guys who continue to play with one original member from a 6 piece band and misleadingly use the name. I call those "Man, I really need the money" tours. I remember going to the farewell tour of The Who. in 1982.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Scott,

I actually considered your rap, (aka hip hop), challenge. I even wrote a song to use.

It's called "Redneck PG Rap". (Copyright Bob Chapman 2012)

Redneck PG Rap

Rockstar_not says I can’t do this song
He’s the kind of homie that thinks I’ll get it wrong
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, opinions in the balance
Scott says it’s numbers, it ain’t about talent

So us old farts weigh in with our yays and nays
I said to myself, this could go on for days
Scott’s a hip hop boy, said you don’t know what you’re missin
I thought to myself, boy you be a pissin
In the wind
It’s a bad assed wind

Eddie’s high brow rock with a band like Rush
Danny likes the blues, probly’ even likes Tush
Mac says Ray Charles on Tonight Show sang
Said the hip hop boys can’t teach a single thang

Jazzmammal’s got the formula, got the definition
Your Rock and Roll song will then be a’ bitchin’
But he wants to lock me up in a room full of speakers
In a hip hop world, man that guy’s a tweeker
Of pain
A room full of pain

So I thought “What the hell, I’ll give it a whirl
But a hip hop song needs lots of pretty girls!”
I went down to the club where the ho’s are exotic
Mac told me boy, they’re sometimes psychotic

In a hip hop world is where they wanna be
Shakin’ their booties on MTV
Cause a dollar a pop for a single mutha
The other thangs they do, this country boy’d druther
Not say
I don’t wanna say

So I gave up on the girls, went back to the styles
Gotta find one that would make it worth my while
Writin’ a hip hop song, I guess I’d be a virgin
But the Colorado cat’s still earnestly urgin’

Can’t take the country route, rhyme drinkin’ with thinkin’
Cause in a hip hop world, the skanks they be a’ stinkin’
As a West Virginia boy, I’ve got a problem with that
If we ain’t got soap, we’ve got Borax
It’s a wrap
A Redneck PG Rap

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C

Don S.

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Well done Bob!

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Got the lyrics now for the recording...

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Fwiw of course talent is important but with music how can you judge it? Sports is easy: who scores most, etc

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Scott,

Go ahead and put it to music! LOL.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Quote:

Hey Scott,

Go ahead and put it to music! LOL.

Well thats the challenge. You basically wrote a poem with a bunch of the topics that are so criticized in the thread. See my pm for other comments.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Scott,

Isn't "hip hop" supposed to punch a few buttons?

I'm not a fan of the genre, ... but didn't you ask for input from forum members?

If I can get to it, I'll try to put some music to it. But in all honesty, it will take the back seat to some other things considering the season.

Later,

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

I think Todd did a lot on the innovative side is why I believe he belongs. A Wizard, A True Star was one of the earlier albums to be that heavily involved with synthesizers, and by the time he got to No World Order he was doing white boy hip hop as well. I saw that show performed live and it was about a dozen racks of sound modules in a circle with him running around pulling fronts
o
when a note stuck. His rockier stuff was both earlier on and then with Utopia, so maybe Ut
opia belongs. He is such a great writer I really believe he belongs.

I'm not attacking Todd I'm defending Procol Harum.

WSS

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Quote:

Scott,

Isn't "hip hop" supposed to punch a few buttons?

I'm not a fan of the genre, ... but didn't you ask for input from forum members?

If I can get to it, I'll try to put some music to it. But in all honesty, it will take the back seat to some other things considering the season.

Later,

What I challenged was to try to make a rap and record it - post it here. Until then, quit saying that it's just talking over a drum beat. Writing a rhyming poem is perhaps 10% of task. One of my friends that truly does rap constructs the poems and rhymes on the fly - topic specific - on demand. Kind of like that guy who can pull of a song-appropriate killer guitar solo just by a look and a nod.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
OK I have a question for you guys and gals. Who did the first speaking a rhyming poem over music?

The first I can remember is Johnny Cash in “Get Rhythm”.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert

Chris
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I remember Jimi Hendrix's 1967 tune If 6 turned out to be 9 ( a little rap part around the 1:33 and 3 min marks). It was in the movie Easy Rider. But I am sure there are others in early rock. I remember this conversation coming up before somewhere.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The first bluegrass rap tune?

Go for it!!

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

OK I have a question for you guys and gals. Who did the first speaking a rhyming poem over music?

The first I can remember is Johnny Cash in “Get Rhythm”.

I'm sure Woody Guthrie did some talking blues, and equally certain that he wasn't the first.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,605
Posts735,026
Members38,514
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian, michael07716
38,513 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 188