You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#184074 - 12/11/12 08:18 PM [User Showcase] Interesting scenario
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

The forum rules state that we can't post links to previously recorded copyrighted material. However, does that include remakes of songs written by people here, on the condition that permission was given?

That situation is about about to happen and I want to make sure that this doesn't violate the rules.

Thoughts?

#184075 - 12/11/12 08:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: Interesting scenario [Re: eddie1261]
Kemmrich Offline
Expert

If someone is going to do a "cover" of one of your songs and you give permission, then no copyright laws have been broken. You are in charge of the "right to copy" for your songs.

#184076 - 12/11/12 09:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Interesting scenario [Re: eddie1261]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
I think the spirit of the law is that PGMusic doesn't want to host anything that even remotely looks like they endorse or encourage copyright infringement.

Posting a well known (C) song, even if you paid a fee to remake it on your CD, would probably be frowned upon, because nobody knows you paid for the rights, and others would jump on the bandwagon and start posting (C) songs too.

But if you're asking whether it would be problematic to post a remake of a song that has never been heard outside this forum, and you have permission from the original song writer...

... I'd start by getting that person to post their permission and approval in the same thread where you post the song.

I can't speak for PGMusic, but due to the extremely low likelihood of legal repercussions, I'd guess you won't get any flack.

-----------------------------
STANDARD DISCLAIMER :
if this goes wrong wrong all wrong, it was EDDIE'S idea, not mine! Under the bus he goes, faster than an ex-wife can take half your stuff!

#184077 - 12/11/12 09:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: Interesting scenario [Re: Pat Marr]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

if this goes wrong wrong all wrong, it was EDDIE'S idea, not mine! Under the bus he goes, faster than an ex-wife can take half your stuff!

In the future, please refrain from using "Eddie", "ex-wife", "half your stuff" and "under the bus" that close together in a paragraph.

Been there, been there, been there - done that, done that, and done that. And THEY got the t-shirt.

I gotta say though, they all have nice homes..... (and how'd you get away with losing only half???)

0___________________/_ 10
Too Close To Home-O-Meter

But on to the topic....

The particulars... it's my song, which I previously posted about a year ago with a link to Soundcloud (it is sitting on 155 plays), and it was redone by Rog and one of his young students. They took the song and remained very faithful to the original yet took it in another direction, and did a very good job on it. They had my blessing from day one so there are no copyright issues. It is copyrighted, by me, and he asked if they could redo it and if they could post it on Soundcloud, and of course I agreed.

Rog is a VERY fine musician and producer, and his students are quite talented. It's just great to see someone in our age range so involved with nurturing young talent. His producer ears hear places to put parts that my brute force in your face ears don't. I have always been in bands that played so loud that we blew your clothes back against your body and never learned finesse until recently. Though I still use a 16 pound sledge to kill an ant....

#184078 - 12/11/12 10:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: Interesting scenario [Re: eddie1261]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

My opinion is if ROG is using BIAB/RB to remake your song and has your permission it's fine. Otherwise, I'd think it goes in the OT forum.

For sure this discussion should have gone there.

Quote:

- Please limit the threads on this forum to the User Showcase postings. Off-topic threads will be moved to the off-topic forum

Above quote from Users Showcase Info and FAQ.

#184079 - 12/12/12 08:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: Interesting scenario [Re: Sundance]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Eddie -

It doesn't look like there's a problem here, but to be on the safe side, why don't you post it and just link to the track on our Soundcloud page. You know both me and Jess and how it's all put together and you own the copyright.

How easy is that?

ROG.

#184080 - 12/13/12 04:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: Interesting scenario [Re: ROG]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Quote:

Been there, been there, been there - done that, done that, and done that. And THEY got the t-shirt.

Now, if you change that to:

Been there, done that, and she got the t-shirt.

You've got a nice inner rhyme, and a twist on an overused phrase.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the song!

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28441 Members
58 Forums
55257 Topics
460255 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Corrie, BBMaestro, truffaldino, JuliaHolmes, wellington

28441 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 365
Pipeline 329