Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
there is a difference between recording for the radio and live performance. The difference is in the balance and energy. This is especially noticeable at low to moderate volume levels.

(snip)

I ended up doing the songs from scratch with the help of BiaB on MIDI instruments so I could control everything.

I totally agree with your observation that the approach that makes a great studio master is not the same as the approach you need for live music. To me, live music is all about the energy!

When I watched you and Leilani perform it was obvious that you put a lot of work into making your sets energetic and fun. It was also obvious that your audience responded exactly as you programmed them to. You are the master of reading an audience and changing your set and banter to herd them onto the dance floor!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the kind words.

I couldn't have done those kind of backing tracks with karaoke files or even real tracks. MIDI is actually way superior for that.

With pre-recorded music, how can you
  • pump up the snare drum
  • add a timbale a few tics ahead of the snare to emulate the stick hitting the rim of the drum -- (the crack of the snare drum is very important in rock, fusion jazz, and Nashville music, but if recorded loud like it should be live, it would overpower the record)
  • pump up the cymbals or change them to something brighter (again, this would overpower a record, but add pizzazz to a live performance)
  • adjust the groove so the proper beats or sub-beats of the measure are a little ahead or behind the beat (live groove is always more exaggerated than recording groove)
  • change the bass drum to a harder sound with zero effects on it
  • change the sound of the bass itself to give it more presence
  • change the tone of some of the backing instruments (piano, guitar, etc.) to something with more edge, or change the instrument itself (example: grand piano to bright piano)
  • and so on???

I started playing in live bands in the 1960s, and have been lucky enough to play with some of the greatest rock musicians when their recordings were on top of the charts. We were the warm up or back up band for many concerts.

I've also done recording studio work. And I remember groups coming in with their own instruments and not getting to play in the session. The reason is that recording and live performances require different skills, and back in the 1960s and early 1970s, not many bands knew how to work the studio. There is a very different approach to playing your instruments to make a good record. The studio musicians know how to make good records, and the live musicians know how to get a good stage musical performance. You don't play the same way for both.

So when I started a duo with backing tracks (due to the economics of the day and need to continue making a living doing music and nothing but music) I wanted my tracks to have the energy level of a band.

I bought a couple of MIDI tracks back in the 1980s and didn't like any of them. They went from OK to laughably bad.

So I decided to make my own. Fortunately at that time I already played and gigged on drums, bass, rhythm guitar, keys, flute, and sax (I've since added a few more instruments) so I could record the parts in real time. It's the only way I know to get the proper groove.

I did the same when writing my styles for BiaB. The early styles used the drum grid, because it was the only way available to do it. I played everything else live into a sequencer and imported the parts into BiaB. Ever since "live drums" was introduced I also put the drums in live (with the exception of techno type styles where the drums need to be robotic).

There are pros and cons to everything.

While playing karaoke or real tracks might give you a better tone, the amount of editing is minuscule.

With a good MIDI sound module, you can get up to 95% of the tone of the 'real' instrument but have 1,000 times more editing power to add more expression and energy to the song.

If the tone is anywhere in the ballpark, the audience will respond more to the expression in the music than to the tone of the instrument.

If you play live and play a Karaoke track back to back with the same MIDI file, if the MIDI file is done right and you have a decent synth, the MIDI version will move the audience better.

It takes a more time to either record your own backing tracks or to buy pre-recorded MIDI tracks and learn how to make them right. You try things, put them up on the PA, figure out what else you need to do, and then do it again at first. But the skills you learn early on are not forgotten, so they get easier and easier to apply.

Music is emotional expression. It's not necessarily about tone, after all, if it was, Dr. John, Stevie Nicks, Leonard Cohen, John Lennon and scores of others would have never had hit records. But they all expressed themselves well, and the audience responds to expression and not tone.

So buy Karaoke tracks if you must, but if your competitor is good at making MIDI tracks, your competitor will sound better.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
N
N
i have been using midi karaoke backing tracks for years. i prefer them more than mp3 etc. the tracks have the dinamics of the live sound. uncompressed and better timing. i re edit them in a midi editor and use outboard sound modules. i use live bass and guitars. never had a problem. just use your ears. just added a Ketron module to the rig.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with Pat.
I have 300 songs. I've heard Pat's stuff. You're just lazy to learn the program.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with Pat.
I have 300 songs. I've heard Pat's stuff. You're just lazy to learn the program.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
First post December 2012, not bad.

What I've discovered in the last 5 years or so is Youtube has a ton of good backing tracks in lots of styles. Of course like any other free search what you find is what you get, it may work or not but I've found some really nice ones. I don't care about using them for live performance, I use them to practice my keyboard playing. Here's one I found last week, I Wish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL6WWrBojf8

This one has a really nice live quality to it and it kicks butt. I couldn't make this myself in RB without a whole lot of work especially the drums.

Earlier is this thread someone mentioned Cocaine as an example of a tune you can't do in Biab. He's right but here's a YT backing track I just found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N04yx-ABPU

I'm not going to get into whether or not somebody is lazy, lots of folks just are not tech oriented, don't play an instrument well or simply don't have the time to put stuff together from scratch.

Note's points are very well made and very correct. They're also way over the heads of lots of folks, they really can't hear or appreciate the difference between one of his creations to be used for live performance and a commercial midi or karaoke file.

My sister used to sing in large regional karaoke contests and they all use commercial files and they sound awesome going through a large FOH system. Those big contests also have professional soundmen running the PA and that is a huge thing.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,698
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 198