#186418 12/26/12 09:31 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
G
Gravel Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Can anyone tell me if there is a systematic training program for BIAB? I would like something that starts with the basics (and doesn't assume the student knows the terminology) and progresses to most of the advanced processes.
I have looked through youtube and PG Music's website. While there are a lot of good tutorials out there, nothing is laid out systematically. I also feel I am trying to learn a foreign language!

Thanks!

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If Music Terminology as used (properly, I might add which is a great thing about Band in a Box) is new to you, things like Fake Chords (Use of letters and numbers to denote a chord, such as "Cm7" or the likes), or certain terms about Rhythm and Time Signatures, or perhaps "Feel" as in SWing feel vs EVen feel, perhaps looking into the various reading resources that are readily available concerning the subjects would help.

And -- You've hit the nail on the head by noticing that it is like trying to learn a foreign language, for it IS another language, the Language of Music.

However, this particular language uses an alphabet that consists of only 12 letters, A thru G. Think of it that way and it does not seem nearly so daunting.

Also consider the idea of getting some personal music lessons near you, that can surely help the novice to wade thru these things in some sort of orderly and bite-size fashion.

I hope this is what you are referring to, if not, please elaborate.

--Mac

Expert
Expert
Mac's correct in that music is another language, after years of study I can barely say "Hello!" LOL

If you are referring to something along the lines of a "How To Use BiaB" like creating Styles, Cut-Copy-Paste Parts around the song, etc, I have not run across any that go thru the program like this. You can piece together a set of tutorials from around the net, but most are out-dated. Even the supplied BiaB Tutorials range from 2006 thru 2012, and they are not "All Encompassing" either....

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Funny thing, everybody asks for a book on the subject, awhile back many seemed to be trying to push yours truly into writing said book, but when I investigated the issue, come to find out that the included .pdf manuals from PGMusic for Band in a Box are exactly what everyone seemed to be clamoring for. A book on how to use the program.

That, and the fact that there are typically two upgrades a year, with "over 50 new features" deems any book that I could put together obsolete before it could be published...

In short, the .pdf Manuals and Upgrade Manuals that install inside your BB folder are a wealth of information.

But don't expect the study of them to be a quick process. Band in a Box is much like a musical instrument in that you cannot expect to dazzle people with your playing in the first month of owning your first guitar.

But, a John C. pointed out awhile back, if Band in a Box could be fully learned in a couple of sessions, the program would not be worth the trouble.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Gravel,

In addition to what's been said above, and just in case you haven't yet stumbled across these, there's also a whole heap of video tutorials found at the link below.

http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

If you scroll to the bottom of the webpage, you'll find some older, archived tutorials as well. Even though these might not say 2013, they are still relevant to today's version and worth watching.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
I think the OP was referring to BIAB "How To" and not music theory.

That being the case, there are few who are greater admirers of BIAB in every respect than I am.

But I would have to say that a SYSTEMATIC....Square 1 through Square whatever...video tutorial library would be a MAJOR addition to PG's customer support.

I for ONE...and only ONE...would prefer that PG spent its time evolving such a SYSTEMATIC AND CONSOLIDATED video library rather than adding a SINGLE new feature.

I'm sure you "pros" will SHRIEK at such a suggestion. But remember, everything is easy when you know what you're doing!!! But new users...the life blood of PG's FUTURE don't know JACK...and trying to parse the manual and fairly "unconsolidated" library of video tutorials is just flat DAUNTING.

SUGGESTION:

Get a brand new IT type employee who knows NOTHING about BIAB...but who is at least somewhat knowledgable of music to spend a few hours a week with an in-house PRO...going through Page 1 of the Manual to the end and evolving a video tutorial as they go.

Even go outside the company if need be to find such a person for what would be...I would imagine...about a 3 month project.

AND I for ONE would be FINE with PAYING EXTRA for the "UPGRADED VIDEO TUTORIAL MANUAL"!

How much? $50.00 in a heartbeat. For all other more intrepid souls...there will be MONTHS of FUN....AND FRUSTRATION as you try to "go deep" with the software.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim

G
Gravel Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
My issues are more of the "how to" in BIAB. For example, last night I wanted to have a four measure (bar) ending to my song. BIAB makes it easy to add a 2 measure ending complete with fading the dynamics (velocity?) and holding the last chord. But, "how-to" add two additional measures, and change the chord pattern, to the inserted ending while maintaining the fade and hold properties eludes me! Pretend you know nothing about BAIB, then try to find instructions on making endings longer than 2 measures. I still haven't been able to find the solution to this specific problem.....

While I am not an expert in reading music, I do know, or at least I am familiar with, music terminology if you take the "computer" out of it. It is terms like "DAW", "Nudge", "event", etc. that have me searching forever.

Actually, since writing the above post, I have found that much of the terminology seems more related to the world of music software/hardware in general rather than BIAB specific. I have gotten some help in the area of terminology by reading midi glossaries on line.

However, like Jim, I would be willing to pay some extra money for a well written systematic teaching program for BIAB. The learning curve on the program would be greatly reduced for people like me!

Like, I am willing to bet, a lot of you, I work full time and play gigs on the side. After adding in family life and practice time with band mates, there just isn't a lot of time left over to be spent on the learning curve for a piece of software. Therefore, anything that considerably reduces that curve is very valuable to me.

BTW: I bought BIAB in order to create backing tracks for my live playing. I am more interested in playing live music then learning programing! All that said and done, I will admit that BIAB is "suggesting" new possibilities for this old dog!

Tony

Veteran
Veteran
Gravel,

I'm not sure if you are aware of this so I'll mention it just in case you have not yet found them. Under the "Help" there are also a number of very useful tutorials. I found these useful when I was starting out.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I have never understood the viewpoint that use of the computer for music endeavors as anything other than some sort of easy "one-button-and-its-a-great-finished-product" is problematic.

**The day you bought or were given your first instrument, could you just pick it up and instantly make wonderful music that other people applauded?**

Or did you have to spend some time learning a few new things, new names, nomenclature, etc. before you could play the doggone thing?

Band in a Box is much the same. Treat it like a brand new musical instrument that is indeed rather complicated as compared to any single instrument. After all, most are suddenly encountering aspects of playing instruments *other* than the instrument that they've been trying to master. The Drummer may have some things to learn about the Melodic Instruments, the player of a Melodic Instrument may have to learn a few things about Drums and Percussion, all may have to learn about things such as MIDI, at least to the extent that the foundation behind Band in a Box, whether you choose all Realtracks or not, is MIDI-based.

Along the way, Band in a Box will make you a better musician...

The key to getting there as fast as possible lies in spending an ordinate and typically small amount of time with the program on a daily basis.

Didn't learn to play the Piano, the Trumpet and then the Guitar overnight.

But, in the process I've learned to enjoy The Journey.

--Mac

Expert
Expert
Quote:

Even go outside the company if need be to find such a person for what would be...I would imagine...about a 3 month project.

Groove3 would be a good one for this, out of all the "video instruction" companies out there I find their instruction the best...at least IMHO...

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=216747

Ray Thomas has a "BIAB Made Easy" available on DVD for $5.00. I have one & it is an excellent Tutorial for anyone starting out with Band in a Box..
Check it out.. It is a DVD started by Rick Campbell, & was sold, but now available for free, but the $5 covers cost of the disk & shipping..

A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
Quote:

Ray Thomas has a "BIAB Made Easy" available on DVD for $5.00. I have one & it is an excellent Tutorial for anyone starting out with Band in a Box..
Check it out.. It is a DVD started by Rick Campbell, & was sold, but now available for free, but the $5 covers cost of the disk & shipping..

Great tip...THANKS. The only issue is that it must be at least a year old.

SUGGESTION #2

PG might consider acquiring the rights for a nominal sum to the DVD Ray Thomas is giving away and then update it...and continue to do so as changes are made.

Doing so would save PG at LEAST 75% of the cost of developing the sequential...all in one place...Video Tutorial Manual.

Personally, I think that it is decidedly to PG's advantage to get their user base to go as deep as possible into BIAB's functionality. Do so would just make people REALIZE how superior the product is and widen the competitive "moat" surrounding the software.

(-:

Jim

(-:

Jim

Veteran
Veteran
PG Music have these add-ons for sale, too. I haven't seen them but from reading through the description, they sound excellent.

http://www.pgmusic.com/addons.tutorials.php?os=win

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
The "Band In A Box Made Easy Free DVD" can be seen on You Tube in 16 Parts....

https://www.youtube.com/user/tenic/videos?query=BIAB+Made+Easy

Hope This Helps!!

G
Gravel Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
True, I did not learn to play my guitar overnight. But, I did have a music instructor who taught me in a systematic manner. My instructor first taught me the basic nomenclature of the guitar. Then he started teaching me how to hold the guitar. Then how to fret one note and get a clean sound. Each lesson was followed by a lot of practice!

I hoped my new "instrument" would also have a systematic (the key word - systematic) learning system provided by the makers or a third party.

I have used all the help sections mentioned in this thread (and greatly appreciate the help!), but there is nothing systematic about them.

I will check out the DVD as mentioned!

Thanks to all.

J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Quote:

Quote:

Great tip...THANKS. The only issue is that it must be at least a year old.

SUGGESTION #2

PG might consider acquiring the rights for a nominal sum to the DVD Ray Thomas is giving away and then update it...and continue to do so as changes are made.

Doing so would save PG at LEAST 75% of the cost of developing the sequential...all in one place...Video Tutorial Manual.

Personally, I think that it is decidedly to PG's advantage to get their user base to go as deep as possible into BIAB's functionality. Do so would just make people REALIZE how superior the product is and widen the competitive "moat" surrounding the software.

(-:

Jim

(-:

Jim

Actually it isn't Ray Thomas that made the DVD. It was Rick Campbell, & all credits should be given to him.. He had this DVD for sale for a nominal price, & after he recouped his costs he made it Public Domain. Ray Thomas then made this DVD available for the cost of the disk plus S&H which is $5.. I did buy it when Rick had it for sale, & well worth the money for any body starting with BIAB.. Yes the DVD is available on You Tube, but for $5 it's nice to have it at your fingertips, & saves the hassle of downloading from you tube, then burning it to DVD..
That's about the price of a drink at a Club..

Expert
Expert
johnnyo34, is the DVD in a higher quality format? YT has it at 480p tops, and judging from the title of the sections they were originally in the .wma format.

The reason I ask is because I have grabbed videos before from YT or Viemo, liked them a lot, and ordered a copy just to get the SAME bit/frame rate as the download.

G
Gravel Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
I have watched most of the Rick Campbell videos on youtube and found them very helpful (and systematic!).

Has anyone used the "add on" that Noel mentioned? I agree with Noel, the descriptions sound very promising, but it would be nice to hear from some who has actually purchased and used these tools before I spend more money.

J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Quote:

johnnyo34, is the DVD in a higher quality format? YT has it at 480p tops, and judging from the title of the sections they were originally in the .wma format.

The reason I ask is because I have grabbed videos before from YT or Viemo, liked them a lot, and ordered a copy just to get the SAME bit/frame rate as the download.

I think the Video is in WMA... Mine is good quality.... I'll dig it out & let you know.. I'm in Tx now for the winter & I think I have a copy of it here too.. Will post later when I find it..

A quick email to Rick or Ray would confirm ..

Last edited by johnnyo34; 12/28/12 08:07 AM.
J
jt3 Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
J
I was lucky got started with 2004 ver. and a freind who gave me probaly 1000 songs or ver. of some of the same songs. with that i saw how others were doing things I found styles that I liked. I rearanged songs for my liking. I would like to see if we could share biab songs that we could download them. just a thought?
John

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,630
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234
38,498 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193