Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Good tip on the real drums Noel and I'll check that later.

How have you set up your Motif 8 to receive Midi information?

Do you mean like local ctrl off sen channel all the Midi stuff?

Or something else?

I have to run this machine I use for Lyme Disease now called a Rife machine so I won't be able to go the music room PC for a few hours but I'll be back and also reading here from my laptop.

Thanks

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Steve,

I don't own a Motif 8 and so I'm not in a position to describe in detail how to go about setting it up.

What caught my eye was your saying that you get sounds but they all over the place. This simply suggested to me that your keyboard does not have the correct sounds assigned to the necessary midi channels for BIAB to play and/or some of the BIAB tracks have Realdrums and Realtracks present.

I've just done a search on the web and it looks like the Motif 8 has a General Midi (GM) bank of 128 sounds. It also has a GM set of drums. Have a look in your instruction manual for the instrument and see if you can find information on how to set the Motif 8 to receive GM data.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
There ya go.

Thanks Richard!

--Msc

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
I'll look at it all again but that is still my biggest problem. I don't understand the manual. So if someone that actually has a Motif 8 and knows how to walk me through the setup without referring me to the manual I would really appreciate it.

That's why I made the post looking for step by step instructions. I could and have read the manual for years and still do not understand it.

I appreciate all the help but telling me to read my manual would be a waste of time for me and you.

Veteran
Veteran
Steve,

I just did a search on Youtube and here's a clip that might help. It's a great video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY_KufYoon8

At around 4:30 onwards, the guy talks about setting sounds on individual channels. Even though he's using Cubase, the principle for BIAB would be the same since it's necessary to assign sounds to midi channels so that BIAB can play them.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Steve,

A word about the image I've posted a few posts up.

This list says ...

1. BIAB's Bass track is assigned to send MIDI information on MIDI channel 2. What this means from your keyboard's perspective is that it needs to have a bass sound set up on MIDI channel 2 if it's to produce a suitable sound.

2. Since BIAB transmits its Piano track data on channel 3, then your keyboard needs to have a suitable sound set on MIDI channel 3 so that the data sent by BIAB can play it and sound good.

3. The same is true for all other BIAB tracks. The channel given in the image indicates what MIDI channel on the Motif 8 needs to be assigned a sound.

It's certainly a very advanced and comprehensive keyboard. Have you been back to your Yamaha dealer and asked them to show how to set it up?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Steve,

The manual (BBW)can be a little daunting can be a little daunting at first because it covers a lot of ground with so many great features in BB. But, so is the Motif Owner's manual, as the MOTIF (even the classic first edition), but it contains both a Quick Start Guide, and all the details many don't want to know (but should know much of it to get the most out of this powerful synth).

I have a MOTIF (Classic, first edition) as well as a MOTIF Rack ES. A bit of background info first (I hope not redundant or patronizing for you). From here on out, when I say MOTIF, I mean your version (the Classic, first edition)

The MOTIF has GM sounds to be sure, but there are tons of sounds you can take advantage of (which is why the SONAR/Cakewalk instrument file, MOTIF.INS) is critical. This file has all the rest of the voices, performances, etc. I don't know if you have both the manuals and supporting info (refer to links in my previous response), but if not, I highly recommend you get them. They are free and in PDF form on both the Yamaha and Motifator sites. The two factory manuals from Yamaha are:

MOTIF User's Manual
Data List (has all the voices, banks, etc. and you need this also)
Yamaha Tools for MOTIF6/MOTIF7/MOTIF8

Additional guides are on both Yamaha and Mofifator sites.

Id you have at least the first two, great.

First, let me recommend that you do not limit yourself to GM sounds (although they are excellent). Second, the reason I'm going to offer this info is help avoid setting issues later on (although I can't possible go into detail features and steps here, because I would only be repeating the manuals).

Secondly, determine what mode(s) you want to use the MOTIF in (Voice, Performance for BBW use). There are others, but Voice vs Performance is significant).

Voice is the simplest (one voice per channel) vs Performance that has 4 parts.

Where I can, I'll refer to the MOTIF OWNER MANUAL (MOM)

So here is a loosely organized step-by-step (top level).

1. Get the instrument file (MOTIF.INS from motifator site)
2. Create the patch file per BBW manual (GM menu button/Convert Patch List form Power Tracks or Cakewalk, pg 554 BBW manual).
3. Determine if your MOTIF matches the patch file (at least for banks, modes, etc. you are interested in)
4. On the MOTIF, enter Utility mode then
4a. set the basic receive and keyboard transmit channels (ref page 258 of MOM). You can leave it at 1/1, or set each to something else (1-16) just make sure that BB is set correlate with the MOTIF.

Before I continue this, I'm going to grab some dinner. I'll come back to this in a while. But recommend you do the above first anyway.

Richard

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Thanks Noel

That's some great info and I'll check the video too. All this is helping me piece it together as I find it very complicated.

I bought this at least 8 years ago but never messed with any of the settings. I just would bring up a piano or bass ya know one instrument at a time and played it live and recorded into the 2480.

Now I'm having a harder time playing and the Motif some of the keys are getting sticky, I've already replaced two of them and that was a piece of cake compared to this MIDI stuff! Ha ha! Really!

Rich

Very cool, I did get those files and I actually have the Motif INS already to go on my music PC. I just have to read how to install that PAT and it did not look difficult.

I have the equipment down for the night but please post anything any of you can think of to get me through this. I have attempted to learn MIDI a few times and just got frustrated and quit but this time I will see it through.

I have the Motif manual right in front of me and have been reading it like daily but I say huh? A LOT!

Veteran
Veteran
I was typing (i'm very slow) in Word, and trying to find a Motif Manual and confirm settings but Richard seems to have this one

Once you figure out how to set it up in Performance mode (which as he said only has only 4 parts) you can then tackle/set it up in "song" mode and get 16 parts (all 16 midi channels - even though BIAB doesn't use that many). I was typing and trying to find a Motif Manual to confirm info btu Richard seems to have this one

I have a Motif XS7, and had a ES7 - while the GM bank is "ok" I never really use it or those sounds - the Motif sounds are a lot better than the GM set supplied but you have to select those better sounds for each BIAB instrument (preferably from a BIAB .PAT file or manually on Motif itself)

There is no GM "mode" on any Motif (like there is on most Roland, Alesis and other gear or dedicated GM modules like a Sound Canvas or Ketron SD2)
The MOTIF rack is SIMILAR but there is no "multi-mode" you have a song mode so this link is just given to aid you how to think about it

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musi...for_gm_playback

I can't seem to download any PDF files form the Yamaha Support site (something over there is screwed up) so I can't check the details of the Motif verses the XS (but they are probably the same) but again I think Richard will help here _ I also have to get off and do other work I'll check back later

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 01/09/13 06:01 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
Steve, you guys are getting way off track for this point in time. Just set it up for GM/XG like I said earlier. GM works automatically, no need for you to mess with setting up midi channels, figuring out patch maps, ins files or any of that stuff. Simply find out how you put your Motif in GM or XG mode (Yamaha's version of GM) and you're done. Biab sends all midi data in GM mode by default. Once you get that working then we can see about having you access the higher patches. If your Motif has a good sounding GM soundbank you may not care about the rest.

The big advantage of using a GM synth is you don't have to do anything, it's a nobrainer. The big disadvantage is some GM soundbanks sound weak and people start looking for better sounds.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Ok Bob

I'll try that one first thing tomorrow. I still like all the info though and will take it slow.

Thanks

R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Larry,

Here's Motifator's link to the MOTIF Manual:

http://motifator.com/index.php/support/motif_manuals/

Motifator has the manual, but does not have the data list manual. Yamaha does still have all the manuals, but now you have to register to download the manuals. It's free, but you need to create an account (Yamaha only).

All the other manuals/apps (voice editor, performance editor, etc. are available easily from motifator.

Also, it's not that the MOTIF has a GM mode (some keyboards do, but higher end ones do it all by bank selection (btw, the GM on the MOTIF is: MSB=0, LSB =0. but I'm talking about patch changes here, and that's all any sequencer (in this case BB) is going to do. You can certainly manually invoke the different banks via buttons,wheel, cursor, etc., on the MOTIF, but they will be overridden by the midi events (if in non-local control mode).

Anyway, I have some other things I have to get done, but will try to resume this thread tomorrow.

One more thing: While the GM voices sound really good on the MOTIF, many of the other voices available (non-GM) will impress many. To avoid these is missing out. One of these days, I'll upload (or provide links to) some excerpts from the MOTIF (e.g, flute, sax, etc.). Mac and Matt, being horn players can be the critics.

Signing off for tonight,

Richard

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Plenty to look at and I'll let you all know how I make out.

Looking forward to part 2 Rich. I know I will want better sounds but I also know Bob is right that I should get something anything working first and it sounds pretty easy.

I have the other stuff ready to go on my music PC and if this goes as quickly as I think I'll be able to move on to the better stuff quickly.... I hope.

Steve

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
My morning update....

I did Bob's suggestion first and.... I have sound! Yeah! I can see where it is and how to change it. I'll be messing with this for a while and then I'll be back.

Veteran
Veteran
Good, baby steps. Whenever you're ready you can follow the excellent info in this thread to access all of the other sounds.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Yep Bob

I agree. There is so much cool info here I'm sure I'll be back quite a few times. I'm also pretty sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks

Steve

Veteran
Veteran
I learned something myself about my Motif (and this is my second one ES now XS).

First time I got the ES7, obviously many years ago now, I sent GM from PTPA, or Cakewalk, or BIAB , or… (I must have been in Voice or Performance mode - doesn’t matter really) and since I wasn't in a multitimbaral mode (Pattern, song, …) I wasn't hearing anything so I must have filled it away as not being truly GM and never looked back. I don’t use the XS7, Alesis Fusion, or even XV-5080/Fantom XR in GM modes anyway. If I want a quick GM set I use SC-8850 or QSR/QS8 or Nanosynth when not using the PC VSTI/DXi synths.

In any case, last night put XS in Pattern Mode, called up Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4" .mid file I have, hit GM and play (from BIAB) and DING, DING, DING: Bob you right - MOTIF XS has a GM mode, while interesting, I won't be using it again :-) but I learned something about my own equipment!

Never to ashamed to admit I leaned something
Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hey

Anyone that wants to add to this please do. I can use all the help I can get. Shut down now fr the night but man I am happy.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
My advice is to spend at least several days using GM mode and getting to better know and undeerstand that first.

Loading Demo songs from the stylepicker and playing the files is also a good way to see the program in action, see what certain chord entries actually do, etc.

--Mac

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Ok Mac

Will do

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,624
Posts735,213
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185