Print Thread
Go To
#190160 01/13/13 03:09 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I saw this thing at Best Buy today.

This is the best machine I've seen for a band in a Box solo guy with a computer on stage.

Windows 8, Touch Screen, but has a keyboard and mouse.

Skinny. Needs a nice carrying case.

This is the real deal, and if I was younger and looking to gig outside, I'd have one in a heart beat.

As it is, I just hope for the heartbeat part tomorrow.

However, I see potential written all over it. Especially as a band in a box computer.

When I've said before it would come, I thought last year. But its now for sure.

It has a battery, 20 inch screen, and you 'tap' it.

No hum! No a/c. No idea on battery life.

Not a laptop, those are bad on a 'music stand'. This should just fit fine. I'd even cut a traditional Manhasset to fit I think.

But, I've 3 standing invites to play, 2 hotels and 1 high end Seniors residence. The former pay a little, and I don't use anything but me and a few books like the Frank Mantooth books, and usually a really big bible (ie. Jazz book with lots of tunes) in case of an odd request. Like last week, Love for Sale. Dang I've heard it, but you think I could visualize that one?

Grab the book, no problemo.

Oh well, my 2Cents worth on a dreary wet Sunday with grey grey skies.

Don't know why, there's no sun up in the sky, it's Winter. In Ontario it's a bummer. Oh Oh, there goes Engine and Truck 9. Used to be, even 1 km away I could hear the actual alarm inside the station when it's wet out. Now the hearing is gone, but I hear those wind up sirens! I don't miss driving in that traffic though. They almost make my heart rate rise. Almost. Just saw too many fatalities out of that station. (Station = Hall in Canada, Fire Hall.) So much for today's lesson from the attic of the USA.

Take Care, and have a look...

http://allthingsd.com/20121213/sony-vaio-tap-20-fun-filled-family-computer/

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Way koo, Johan!

Please let us know if you like Win 8. Reviews are still quite mixed. What about performance with BIAB, eh?

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm a Mac guy now. Mostly. A win 7 lappy is on my main piano. My win 7 HP media is downstairs in the studio with my lighting and Korg keyboard, horns etc.

My upstairs office, where I 'live', is an iMac 27", photography, lenses, camera gear and books.

BUT as I said, that little PC, touchscreen, would in my old world, run Band in a Box. And I'd gig.

Geez, I spend MOST of my time in various bathrooms trying to get a dribble. Then I wake up 4 hours later. Not to worry about like the old days when one's legs went to sleep so to speak. Mine are always that way. What feet?

So it goes. I stagger from one attempt to the next trying to find 'fun'. You get it right?

I wanted a nice nurse. Pretty, slender, young, with the white dress.

My nurses were nice, gay, over six foot, and they floated around. Lisping. Nice enough guys, but NO DON"T mess with that buddy. I might be disabled but...:) And skinny! How does 150 pounds sit on a six foot 4 frame?

No more nurses except at the clinics. Those ones are nice. When I wanted a great 'bath' in a chair I never dreamt... ah you get it.

Oh Oh, here comes the water flush. It will gush from my fingertips. Better go get a towel and not fall down on the way. sigh....

We went to see Reacher last night. I even understood 30 percent, a new record. But I read the book first.

Back to my chicken stew I'm making for my Mom. She does 4 steps up to my place once a week to stay in shape. 84 and in a wheelchair. She gets a nurse 3 times a week so my Dad can go shopping and Mom gets a bath in a chair. Seen this show before right?

BTW, what's MIDI? LOL. (Pot stirred, stew pot next)

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
EnJOY, John, sounds great!

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good find - thanks!

Not being a "touch screen" kind of user, and for other reasons I'm not a big Win 8 fan, and Apple will never get a nickel of my money, knowingly anyway, but this does look very promising nonetheless.

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
"Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other is gold."

Here's my prediction, based on past experience.

There will come a day when Microsoft will release an operating system that is new and likely different from the way Win8 operates.

And on that same day, people will sing praises for the now familiar Win8.

They will also say negative things about whatever the new kid on the block is named.

Microsoft has delivered some gems, also have delivered some really bad stuff. Windoze Millenia anyone? Din't think so.

It will take more time before anything said about Win8 good or bad will mean anything important to me.

But I typically like to wait until I see at least the first Service Pack before taking the plunge in a serious fashion. That doesn't mean I would pass up a good deal over the installed OS, though.

--Mac

Mac #190166 01/13/13 06:05 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I said no Mac for John. Then my wife got an iPad. I had an android tablet. Her ipad was and is amazing. So I got the Mac. Again it is unix and works.

The need is for a musician to use one finger on the screen to run band in a box. Not a desktop computer. This vaio is the first of many you will see. I have kept my old systems that work, two run Linux like the acer we took to the uk.

Everything is networked 2 printers, 7 computers and a 2 tb my drive.

A hobby of sorts.

Like my 2000 gmc full size pickup 6 mo old lab and bird feeders.

Me and my toys.

Tottering on for now...keep your head up. Unless they shoot.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Now, if they make the screen "non-reflective" (I don't know the proper English word, so I made one up.) this could be something for a stage. Anything shown on a "screen with a built in mirror" might be hard to identify in certain lighting situations.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
GHinCH #190168 01/14/13 09:26 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
http://www.radtech.us/Products/ClearCal-Displays.aspx

Just buy this film. I didn't check if they have one that is good for 'finger prints'.

That's my beef with the iPad, it gets dirty quick and I'm always cleaning the thing.

There has been lots of work on running band in a box remote with an app.

My argument has always been that very soon technology will make that redundant.

Now once the price for this hits 499$ it will fly off the shelf. In the mean time tablets are getting both smaller and bigger. I think they realize that many of the older generation can turn a page, but you can't see the little print.

My cell is a monster size. That's so I don't have to pull out spectacles just to see who beeped me. Find the phone, find the glasses, drop my teeth, my cane hits the floor, and all heck breaks loose.

SO, as stated, give us a nice 20 plus inch screen, a hard drive big enough for all the RT's pg can make, and make nice with the output from the device. Next let's have a secondary box for an eq, song list. Hey this is the app I wanted PG to write. A player, plain and simple, with a list on the right. My gig stuff, and a library of all the songs we can find. For requests.

Keep it simple. I don't need to enter chords on a stage right? Well I might not be found on a stage much anymore...sigh.

John Conley
Musica est vita
GHinCH #190169 01/14/13 09:38 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Now, if they make the screen "non-reflective" (I don't know the proper English word, so I made one up.) this could be something for a stage. Anything shown on a "screen with a built in mirror" might be hard to identify in certain lighting situations.

Why Oh Why have most laptops and even monitors reflective screen, deeper colours they say, but I really hate them.

If I want a mirror I will buy a mirror, but a matt screen for me anyday.

musiclover

GHinCH #190170 01/14/13 09:40 AM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Have you ever tried it?

Screens that emit their own light don't often "mirror". Regardless of "stage lighting" or not.

The only problem with standard illumination computer screens is daylight. It is a bit much to expect the internal backlighting of the screen to compete with the kind of light Old Sol emits. Still, today's backlighting is more Daylight Viewable than standard screens of a few years ago, often working quite well in Daylight environments. There was a time when those who had a need to use computer screens in daylight environments had to spend more money on a "Daylight" screen, which typically was the same screen in front but with a more heavy duty backlighting situation in which not only the intensity but the frequency of the light tubes was different than standard. That may just soon be a thing of the past entirely as many of the laptop and touchscreen pads of today are indeed Daylight Viewable.

Mirroring, never encountered it except with the old glass front CRT monitors.

--Mac

Mac #190171 01/14/13 09:58 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I have not tried this specific monitor. I have had a laptop with a glare display. While I could set it up most often so it did seem not to reflect ambient light -- there were still some reflections I had to filter out with my brain or turn up the brightness of the screen.

Working with it in daylight often resulted in a light headache. So when it quit working I bought another one with a matte surface. It is, imo, much more convenient to work with - ymmv.

GHinCH #190172 01/14/13 10:18 AM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
How long ago was that?

As I said above, such issues have improved considerably in the last few years.

If concerned, not too hard to check one out at a brick 'n mortar store in advance.

The iPads are working fine in all kinds of lighting environments, to include daylight.

So do most of the laptops and flatscreens offered today.

This problem is wellknown to me because of day job stuff in which computers are placed on the bridges of ships, on the dockside, inside airplanes and helicopters, land vehicles, etc. There was once a time when we had to open up screens and modify them to be "Daylight Compatible" at extra cost to the customer. Not so much today as the screens coming out now are very capable in these respects.

The laptop I'm typing this on is a rather long in the tooth HP nx6125. It has a matte finish screen that is daylight viewable. Purchased in 2003.

But just because a screen may have a shiny finish does not mean that it isn't daylight viewable or may have a problem with light reflection onstage. Don't be concerned about light reflection when the screen is in the off state. Turn it on and then check it out in the lighting situation that you will be required to use it in.

It really has gotten a LOT better than in the past.

But that's not to say that someone wouldn't run into a screen that has the problem, especially in the lower priced models. Check it out beforehand to be certain it can do the job you will require of it.

--Mac

Mac #190173 01/14/13 10:36 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I wish I could see the sun for a day or two. In this neck of the woods we often have no sun for weeks, then just a glimpse. That lasts for months.

Take a good vitamin D. And like Mac said.

That anti reflective film might be the best idea if you have a problem. 30 bucks or so...

Not to worry. Find the answer!

John Conley
Musica est vita
Mac #190174 01/15/13 01:45 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

How long ago was that?

I have bought that laptop, a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pa 2548, with the glare screen Easter 2008, the graphics unit quit early summer in 2011.

Guido

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,735
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191