Print Thread
Go To
#190548 01/15/13 08:53 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
W
OP Offline
W
Hello

I am a new owner of BIAB 2013, and it seems like it may be some fun software – if I ever get it running.

First off – I am not a recording engineer or computer geek. I am a singer-songwriter-guitar player.

I have been recording successfully in a home studio using Cubase 6 coupled with a Lexicon Omega for several years. Cubase uses the ASIO drivers in the Lexicon Omega.

So I set up BIAB 2013 to utilize the ASIO in the Omega .. and every time I try to use BIAB I get the following admonishment.

“Error creating ASIO buffer Access violation at 00A06185 in module bbw.exe
Write of address 00000004 at 00A06185”

Then it doesn’t play at all and then freezes up.

Nice that it tells me I have an error, but I am left with no suggestion of what I can do to correct it.

If I switch the audio setting to MME … perhaps one track will play, MIDI seems totally absent.

Now fully realizing my technical short-comings I have spent some time in the PG help chat and been put through the cycle of reboot, change the drivers in Real Band (which I have yet to use at all) and reboot … change the drivers in BIAB .. reboot … this cycle is endless and accomplishes absolutely nothing.
PG chat support seems to be right there and well meaning .. but I am getting nowhere.
At the end PG support suggested that Windows itself is using the Omega ASIO and BIAB can’t operate if another program is using it. (Win7 takes control of an ASIO DAW) ?

This is a dedicated computer, music creation only.

The only productive programs on this computer is Cubase 6, BIAB and Real Band. No Microsoft Office, Email, or the other nonsense. All windows sounds are shut off, no onboard sound card, only the Lexicon Omega for vocal/guitar input.

My recording computer is: ACPI x64, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Intel Core i7 CPU 6 GB RAM
I am using the BIAB 2013 hard drive.

I am tempted to install an onboard Sound Blaster card .. but every home recording forum I frequent says “No, never, ever and don’t. Use a good DAW”. Which I think my Lexicon Omega is still pretty good.
Even swapping out the DAW or installing a sound card .. I suspect I may inherit the same dilemma.
I think I need a solution to the problem, rather than continuing to guess and/or buy equipment I may not need.

Any kind soul out there have any ideas as to a solution that a BIAB newbie might understand ? Or perhaps a suggestion on a proven BIAB-DAW setup ?

Thanks

Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the forum. I hope someone here has your setup and can help. Just curious, are you using the latest 2.7 driver for the Lexicon Omega?

And a few general questions that may yield some clues:

Are you running BBW.EXE as Administrator?

Do you have a virus checker running?

Did you disable any virus/malware program before installing BIAB?

You said you are using the BIAB 2013 drive. Are you running BIAB from the drive? Which of the four setup options did you choose?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Windy Mac,

Welcome to the forums.

Did you run the setup program on the USB drive before attempting to run BIAB? If so, which option did you choose? Also, what package did you get (e.g. ProPak, MegaPak, UltraPlusPak, etc.)

Personally, if your internal hard drive has enough space, I suggest fulling installing the program on your hard drive (this is not possible if you purchased the Audiophile version). Also, if you do install it on your hard drive, do not add it to Program Files. Keep it in a directory (folder) off the drive (e.g. d:\bb).

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Hi Windy Mac and welcome to the forum!

**When using any USB sound device with Band in a Box, it is important that the USB device be connected and recognized by the OS before starting up Band in a Box.**

Don't know if that is your particular problem or not, but it sure gets me quite often as I have other programs for recording that don't need to do it that way, they will recognize my USB appliances when I choose to plug them in to the computer. Cubase may be like that, don't know for sure.

HTH,

--Mac

W
OP Offline
W

Hi Matt and Noel196 – Thank you for responding, I very much appreciate it.

MATT:-
Yes I installed the latest 2.7 driver for the Lexicon Omega.
Yes I have virus checker running - Microsoft Security Essentials
Am I running BBW.exe as Administrator ? - I am running the windows system as Administrator.
Did I disable virus/maleware before installing ? - If the setup asked me to disable virus/maleware, I think I would have done so. If you are asking if I did - I cannot remember
Am I running BB from the drive ? - Yes I am running BB from the usb drive – choice of setups, I do not know short of running setup again.

NOEL196:
My purchase was BB Ultra Plus PAK
I ran the setup application on the BB hard drive
Noel you are suggesting I am better off installing BB onto an internal hard drive. As you see, I do have ample room on my E or F internal hard drives.
Drive C 148 GB ( 87.3 free )
Drive E 931 GB, ( 843 GB free )
Drive F 931 GB, ( 888 GB free )

So guys … Should I stop driving myself and you guys nuts trying to fix this and continue to run the usb, or cut my losses and aggravation and do a complete install on one of my internal drives ?
If so, am I doing a ‘copy’ over to the hard drive, or will it be an install ? If so … will the setup guide me through a clean successful install, or do you have any advice on ‘how’ and ‘where’ and ‘what’ to select. (Noel suggests a separate folder, not Program Files) Are there residual items on the C drive from running the usb that I should uninstall from the system before doing so ?

I know my status on the forum will be, ‘newbie pain in the ass’ for a while. It is a little intimidating as I can see by reading the forum most of the members are light-years ahead of me musically and BB engineer-wise. However; I am looking forward to the software, it seems everything a songwriter needs.

Thanks guys – pleasure to know you

W
OP Offline
W
Hi Mac ..

My usb sound device, Lexicon Omega is plugged-in prior to opening BB. My mics work fine through the windows sound with the Omega and in BB with the Omega. Its the ASIO that will not work. As to your question, and upon thinking of it, of course the usb BB hard drive and the Omega are plugged-in as required. Perhaps the sequence affects the setup.

It has been suggested I install BB to an internal drive and not use it as a usb device.

Onwards .. and forever sideways ...

Thanks mate

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Windy Mac,

Given that you have so much space on E: and F: drives, I encourage you to install the program on one of those. It will run a little faster. The USB drive then becomes a great back up. (The UltraPlusPak is a terrific purchase! You're going to love it once it's up and running.)

Regarding the install, there is nothing you need to uninstall before going for the full install. BIAB does not use Window's registry and only puts a couple of files (like fonts) in the Windows directory. BIAB will certainly guide you through a full install. All you need to do is to specify folders for BIAB and Realband: say something like e:\bb and e:\Realband (these are PG Music's default names). The install will take a little while because there's a great deal of copying to be done. If presented with the option to install Coyote WT (Coyote Wavetable), choose "yes".

A full install might not fix your problem but it will make it a little easier to troubleshoot because any potential USB problems are eliminated.

When you initially setup BIAB ...
  • Go to "Opt | Preferences | Midi Driver" (1).
  • Select Microsoft GS Wavetable synth (2).
  • Activate the check boxes (3).
  • Make sure that Coyote WT is selected as your VST/DXi (4).
  • Set the audio driver as MME.

This is a standard setup and the most likely to work. It's best to check this configuration out before playing around with other software synthesisers and other audio drivers.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
W
OP Offline
W

Ooooh-kay ...

As suggested .. installed BB on my F hard drive ...
No immediate ASIO warning on opening BB and no freeze up
Set 1,2,3,4,5, as you instructed .... MME driver
Songs play .... studio mic working ..
(holding my breath here) .... and will keep you posted.

Thanks for the help guys

D
DrT Offline
D
I have had this same problem (Win 7 x64) with BAIB 2013, ASIO4ALL, and external USB sound devices (ART and TonelabST-not Lexicon), and discovered that it would resolve if I started another music program which used ASIO4ALL (Reaper in my case). I played with both RealBand and BBW and discovered I could cause the problem by removing a device (internal sound device) from the ASIO control panel from within either program. Then I would get the same error you describe. Restarting the program wouldn't help. My first solution was to start Reaper and configure ASIO. Then the RealBand and BBW problems disappeared.

I discovered that the problem could also be solved by choosing an MME driver, playing something in RealBand or BBW using the MME driver, then EXITING (critical to exit) RealBand or BBW. When you restart BBW, you can choose an ASIO driver and configure it, and it works. Since you're using MME now, you could just restart Band in a Box, configure ASIO, and it should work. Your device may also be usable with ASIO4ALL if this solution dowsn't work with your ASIO driver. My TonelabST has its own ASIO driver but also works fine with ASIO4ALL.

It may later redevelop, which it will on my computer if I start RealBand or BBW without my USB sound device connected. Then ASIO4ALL defaults to the internal sound. If I then try to remove that internal sound device, the problem will always recur.`

You might try this and see if it works for you.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Windy Mac,
I have been working on solving this same problem. The problem doesn't seem to be in the BIAB or any of the platform issues. It's in the Asio and Soundcard. It will allow only one input and one output so you can only do one thing at a time. I found some help on this issue in a video when I googled "Windows 7 and Asio" I'd post a link but I don't know how to do that. In the video there were several ways discussed to work around the problem. I've tried them all and finally settled on getting a USB external soundcard to handle my other devices with extra in and out ports. Hope this works. I downloaded the latest Asio driver as a start and found the new panel to be a big help in selecting the in and out ports.
Good luck in your efforts.
Val

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Yes, typically ASIO is best when used with only one program that addresses audio drivers running at the same time. There are, however, examples where ASIO can be used in two programs at the same time. Inside BiaB, in the MIDI/Audio settings window, pushing the Audio button you should find a toggle, "ASIO Always On" that defaults to true. You can try unchecking that and see if it helps, although usually keeping it checked is what helps.

Also -- Any soundcard where the ASIO drivers can be set separately within the soundcard's control software to any bitrate and depth other than 44.1/16 can cause error messages when opening Band in a Box. This is because Band in a Box is designed only to work at 44.1/16. Band in a Box wants control of the soundcard to set it to that and some mfr's designed their software to allow manual selection of other bitrates. BB often can't change that. Try changing to that bitrate and depth inside your soundcard control software, or perhaps there is a setting there that allows any host program to choose when opened, that can work as well. This problem is typically only for ASIO drivers as choosing MME drivers will likely already be at that bitrate anyway.

--Mac

W
OP Offline
W
Thanks for all the suggestions ... all or some of which may have some answers - at least I am not the only one with this problem.

Noel - BB is noticably faster since installing on my internal F drive. I am up and running, albeit in MME. Guitar and vocals through the Lexicon are now showing up in BB. MIDI-track selections are not working well yet.

Mac - you may have a point with the 44 1/16 .. I always try to set at 44 24 to match my Cubase6 (did not know BB can't handle above 16)

Val - Thanks .. I will read up on Win 7 and ASIO

DrT - Your program switching and resetting may have been what PG chat was attempting to have me do while online. It did not seem to help, but I will consider another attempt. I have been afraid to select ASIO anything again in case I screw the whole thing up again. But .. for vocal and guitar I will low latency ASIO . . .

Thanks everyone . . . keeping the faith here ....

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,491
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195