Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#191177 - 01/21/13 03:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Brallan]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi again, Brad.

Quote:

I beg to differ, Robert. The "and," IMO, serves to bring the listener immediately into a continuing story.

As mentioned above to Robert, Sheila Davis, in her book - "The Songwriting Idea Book", says almost exactly what you say. For me, the word was the spring board that launched me into this song.

Thanks for the Tom Waits link. He's certainly a songwriter who stamps a huge signature on his material. If I had 0.1 of his ability, I'd be very happy!

Regards,
Noel

#191178 - 01/21/13 03:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: boehm]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Guenter,

I appreciate your thumbs up. Thank you for having a listen.

All the best,
Noel

#191179 - 01/21/13 03:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Tano Music]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Tano,

Good to see you! The two phrases you isolated came about because I wanted the music to do something different at that point. Then, when I had an idea about how the melody should go, I played around with words for a few days to try and get something that worked. They were the end of result!

In relation to the song's "carpet", I can only take a little bit of credit there. PG Music's BIAB and RB deserved 95% of the credit for that. As you know, this software is a songwriter's dream-come-true.

Kind regards,
Noel

#191180 - 01/21/13 04:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Achordocaster Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Noel,

Some quality songwriting there! Wonderful mix on the bed tracks! Also great vocal by Jason.

A BIG two thumbs up from me!!

Greg

#191181 - 01/23/13 04:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Achordocaster]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Greg!

Thanks for those thumbs up. I spent a long time on the mix for this one. It was also the first song I used Ozone to polish the final mix. I have to hand it to the iZitope guys, they really know how to make a mix shine.

Thanks again!
Noel

#191182 - 01/23/13 07:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Noel,

This is a terrific song. Simple and complete at the same time. Sounds like a hit to me. A true "accomplishment" of songwriting. To be able to keep the lyrics of a song simple, at yet, MEAN SO MUCH. Splendid.

The tracks and mix are perfect. The vocals are spectacular - even if you did "cheat" <tee hee>. I would have liked a link to your original....

Keep 'em coming!!!

floyd

#191183 - 01/25/13 01:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: floyd jane]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Floyd,

I had to cheat!!!! I don't sing anywhere near as well as you do and so it was necessary to call in the professionals. Thanks for the kind words! Do I owe you anything?

When I write a song in AABA, I always keep in my mind that The Beatles managed to have a gigantic hit with "Yesterday" by using only 84 words. Maybe one day I'll discover how to make 84 words work like that for me *laugh*. In the meantime, what I do is to write lyrics and then go through them and try to streamline them by reducing the word count by around 10%. It's always an interesting exercise!

One again, thanks!
Noel

#191184 - 01/25/13 02:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Noel96]
WSE1 Offline
Enthusiast

Great song. You're a great singer.

#191185 - 01/25/13 07:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Noel,

All I can say is outstanding! Great song, and really shines with the vocals on it! Very impressive!

Steve

#191186 - 01/25/13 07:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Florida, USA
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Loc: Florida, USA
+10 to everything said. Exquisite!

#191187 - 01/26/13 03:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: WSE1]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Great song. You're a great singer.

Hi Sal,

Thanks for having a listen! I'd love to wear the compliment "great singer" but, at best, I'm only somewhere around "enthusiastic person who tries hard" *laugh*. I called in a professional on this one.

Once again, thank you.
Noel

#191188 - 01/26/13 03:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: cubanpete]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Mike (Cubanpete),

I appreciate your taking time to drop by and listen to "Always There". I've never have a "+10" before. Thanks for that. It's a perfect start to the day

All the best,
Noel

#191189 - 01/26/13 03:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Steve Young]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Steve,

I have to agree with you, the Jason's vocal is certainly the polish that shines the song's shoes. If you heard his version side by side with mine, you'd understand just how shiny his work is! Thanks for have a listen.

All the best,
Noel

#191190 - 01/26/13 04:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Quote:

I'm not quite sure how to interpret your last sentence but I guess it's a good thing for songs I write to have my mark!

Yes, it's a good thing. You like to use asymmetrical constructs, and unusual rhythmic choices. A lot of your songs are "meta" in the country and broadway style, in the sense that the singer makes sophisticated word and rhyme choices that show that they're aware they're singing, instead of going for a more "speaking" voice.

Quote:

Hope all is sailing along well for you and your family

Thanks! We're doing well, but there are several waves of illness still sweeping across the country, so we've got our fingers crossed.

Cheers!

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#191191 - 01/29/13 01:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: dcuny]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi David,

Thank you for giving me this additional insight. You've really made me think about my music from a whole new perspective and I appreciate that. I know I'm going to be pondering your thoughts as I drive to work this morning.

Best wishes,
Noel

#191192 - 02/01/13 05:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Noel,

I almost missed this one. You have a great tune here - excellent all the way. Love the mix as well.

Bob

#191193 - 02/02/13 06:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: rsdean]
Loc: Ireland
musiclover Online   happy
Expert

Great song and mix Noel and fantastic vocals as well, I think a song like that would go down well with a boy band as they have lots of lady fans. Boybands seem to be the rage in the UK and Ireland for the last few years, dont know about Australia.

Noel I know that you use Ozone in your mixodwn I think you said before that you use one of the cd master presets.

Just interested to know did you use the same preset in this song as sometimes I find that my songs are lacking volume when I mixdown and obviously there is a way to get that as you have proved.

Keep it up Noel, one of these days I'm sure some big star is going get hold of one of your songs.

All the best.

Musiclover

#191194 - 02/08/13 05:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: musiclover]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Bob,

I've been so busy at work that I nearly missed seeing you telling me you nearly missed this one! LOL! Sounds like there's a song in those words just waiting to escape

Thanks for taking time to have a listen and for the words of encouragement. I appreciate the Saturday-morning smile you've just given me.

All the best,
Noel

#191195 - 02/08/13 06:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: musiclover]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi musiclover

I'm awfully sorry for taking so long to get back to you and to thank you. Work has been evaporating all my time and there's been little left over for much more than offering a few people help in the other forums. Thank you for all your positive comments. I really appreciate them.

Regarding Ozone ...

I used the below preset with "Always There" without any alteration.

Also as a general part of my work flow ...

After I render the final mix, I open the song in Goldwave and then maximize the waveform. When I do this, I raise the volume past the normalization value so that I chop the tops off some of the waves that have greater variation. This is another way of "limiting" the signal and can be done in most wav processing software. (Ozone does have a limiter that will do this but I have yet to learn how to drive it properly. So until I manage to figure that out, I'll keep doing it this way!)

The image below shows what the finished wave form for "Always There" looks like.

As you can see, it's like someone has used a pair of scissors and has chopped off the tops and bottoms of the waves to make them flat. I do this by maximizing the sound to 1, 1.5 or sometimes even 2.0 rather than simply normalizing it to 0 or -0.3. One needs to be careful limiting the waves because if too much is applied, it causes noticeable distortion of the sound.

Hope this helps,
Noel

#191196 - 02/09/13 07:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Noel96]
musiclover Online   happy
Expert

Thank you very much Noel for taking the time and the trouble in helping me with this. Its really appreciated.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 7 (32bit) and 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro,Band in a Box 2018 Cubase 5.0 and Cubase elements 7.0.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28443 Members
58 Forums
55257 Topics
460267 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Corrie, BBMaestro, Nightmare, truffaldino, JuliaHolmes

28442 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 365
Pipeline 328