Print Thread
Go To
#193639 02/07/13 07:53 AM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
And now for something completely different...

This song came from a random thought about how a single event can alter the course of your life. It might be a day in your life, or just a moment in that day, but it changes everything completely and forever. Having got the idea for the song, I needed to give it a happy ending, because my wife complains that all my songs are too sad and I started to worry that she might leave me for someone more cheerful.

It's all done in PowerTracks and I thought for once I'd try to kick the reverb habit, so everything is dry right up to the fade where I slipped back into my old ways. Thanks once again to Jessie and Courtney for their contribution to the vocals.

https://soundcloud.com/music-prof/the-ballad-of-henry-mann

Henry woke up that morning
He was tired of life and living on his own
He didn't go to work, he walked down the block
Saw a sign, went in and bought a gun (oh no not a gun)
An old car, no gas in the tank (no gas)
No food and no money in the bank (no cash)
"Might as well shoot myself, I'll end it all
Or maybe go down the bank and make an unscheduled withdrawal".
Yes, I think I will.

(It's funny how life can get you down
It's funny how things can turn around).

When Henry got down to the City Bank
He couldn't get in, there was a queue at the door (Oh no)
He pulled his gun, he pushed his way through
He said "I just can't wait anymore" (I just can't wait)
Just then there was a punk running out
With a bag of money in his hand (It's a hold up)
Henry shot him down without a second thought
He said "It was always my turn to rob the bank.
You know it was."

Henry was a hero that's what everybody felt 'cos
No one knew he'd planned to rob the bank himself
He got a reward, 'cos he saved the bank that day
Henry laughed and said -
"Who says crime doesn't pay? You know it does!"

You may be happy to know that in the third verse, which didn't make it into the mix, the punk makes a full recovery, reforms and finds worthwhile employment as a Financial Adviser.

A strange song, but mine own...

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ROG,

I thoroughly ENJOYED this!! A "fun story". GREAT mix. The sound during the guitar lead was SWEET. The girls sound great, of course. Your vocal is cool - a "touch" of reverb wouldn't hurt.

A very unique sound... I like it!

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ROG
ROG meets a cross between Tom Petty and my mate Albert (he sounds a lot like you when he sings but is more angry in his solos) writing about a bloke I met last year who actually WAS a bank robber and spent a lot of time in Dartmoor amongst other high security establishments, 3/4 of his adult life in jail.

I like the backing singers, Jessie and Courtney, and the fact they contribute to the song. "HIT IT HENRY"
I enjoyed it, good work! I like your style of music a lot.

"finds worthwhile employment as a Financial Adviser" yeh right LOL

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I liked this a lot.
Fun story and good performance. Nice background vocals.
I only got a little confused with the chords during
the organ solo.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Funky funky British man. Like it. (although you don't pronounce "unscheduled" properly)

Regards,

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Pay no attention - "unscheduled" sounded perfect to me !
What a fun story - loved it!
Am I hearing you playing a Tele in the Mix there?
ACE!
chers
ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Rog,

What a fantastic sound and inspired arrangement!!!! The girls sound brilliant and your vocals are absolutely perfect for this.

You got my standing ovation!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Great! Another story song. The groove and the vocal riffs are nice, and your lead vocal is coming out front better.

Reminds me a little of my current UK hero, Richard Thompson, with maybe a touch of Knopfler -- maybe more than a touch.

Are those RealDrum tracks, or something else?

Brad -- My FAWM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great song and storyline Rog, and a great professinal sounding mix as well, but then ...what am I talking about you are the pro.

Vocal and backing singers are great, song reminds me a bit of Claptons I shot the sheriff

As a simple country music boy its good for me to hear differnet kinds of music, might pick up something from you.

As I know you do the lot mastering etc, just wondering what do you use Ozone or Tracks, and how do you manage to get a good loud mix without it going over the 0db?

all the best
Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice

ROG,

Fun story song and really nice groove. The production sounds fantastic. Enjoyed it a lot.

User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for all the positive comments.

Floyd - I WAS tempted with the reverb!

Alyn - Glad you liked the "Financial Adviser".

Guenter - I wanted that part of the solo to make people feel a bit uncomfortable, before resolving into the sweeter guitar section with the BVs, so I introduced a Scar beat and took the Hammond into places where I wouldn't normally go. The whole solo was supposed to represent life turning around. Perhaps a bit ambitious.

90db Bob - At least he had no "Gas" instead of "Petrol"!

sixchannel, Ian - Well spotted. Yes that was my old Tele throughout.

Noel - Always like your work and so really value your comments.

Brad - No RTs or RDs at all. The drums are samples which we made up ourselves, played back via MIDI programming.

musiclover - There's very little mastering involved on my songs, just a bit of limiting and sometimes a little tape saturation. The important part is getting the individual tracks recorded right before you start the mixing process. Perhaps this needs a separate thread which I'll try to get round to.

Austin - Glad you liked the production, thanks.

Thanks for listening, everyone.

ROG.

User Showcase
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C
ROG, bravo à nouveau pour cette chanson originale. J'aime le son, l'ambiance, la façon dont tu la chantes, le phrasé... Une réussite sur tous les points !

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nothing not to like with this project a very enjoyable listen.

The reverb verdict is still out with me as I could go either way with this particular performance.

Excuse me if you answered this question already, but who is/are the lady/ladies and did you use any doubling effect with their tracks?

It's all good!

Later,

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Just had to show this tune to a friend...are you really Tom Petty? Sure coulda fooled me. Jessie and Courtney add the perfect touch.

Wait a minute...just listened to She'll Never Know....you are Tom Petty right?

Last edited by MountainSide; 02/15/13 08:21 AM.
User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Fine piece of music, harmonies are perfect! Guitar work is exceptional! Well written and performed! Thanks for sharing!

My Fawm

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks guys.

Carolan - Merci pour les mots aimable.

pgfantastic - thanks for the comments - glad you liked it.

MountainSide - Been a Tom Petty fan for over thirty years, so perhaps I'm starting to pick something up. Wish I had half his money.

Danny C - The girls Courtney, Jessie and Ellie are our secret weapon. We're teaching them how to sing, write vocal and harmony parts and perform. At the moment, they sing with our "House Band" and do some session work. Up to now they've only done tracks for me and Eddie, but if you've got a project that could use them send me a PM.

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hey ROG,

what I liked most about this song is that it really *IS* something completely different! You took chances with the song and let it take on a personality instead of just making a boring genre knockoff.

I also liked the fact that you let your accent shine. Lots of music by British performers seem to favor a generic accent that plays well everywhere.

two enthusiastic North Carolinian thumbs up

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds great ROG. Especially liked the twist in the story. Very creative.

Like it.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Stunning. Rhythm tracks, guitars, vocals, and recording are all spot on, amazingly so. Great song and great delivery.

But. Am I the only one who finds the organ beginning at 2:00 until the guitar lead begins to be jarringly out of key? I listened twice and just can't get it to resolve harmonically. I felt like it should be transposed down a third.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Pat and Josie - thanks for listening and all the nice comments.

Ryszard - Not the only one Richard, Guenter spotted something similar. It was deliberate and if you read back to earlier in the thread I explained it to Guenter as follows -

Quote:

I wanted that part of the solo to make people feel a bit uncomfortable, before resolving into the sweeter guitar section with the BVs, so I introduced a Scar beat and took the Hammond into places where I wouldn't normally go. The whole solo was supposed to represent life turning around. Perhaps a bit ambitious.

I'm pleased that it appears to have worked on you if not on everyone!

ROG.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195