Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here's One That My Head Nurse Just Loved

They found a naked dead body of a nurse washed up on the shore today.
How did they know it was a nurse?
She had an empty stomach, a full bladder, and her butt was chewed out.

MODERATORS: POSTED IN WRONG THREAD - SORRY!

Last edited by Don Gaynor; 02/17/13 10:38 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Josie said:
Quote:

Sounds like a good idea. I think mixing and songwriting suggestions would be helpful in it's own forum.

+1

It became apparent shortly after the introduction of Real Tracks that users of PGMusic products were actually finishing their songs, and the problems they were addressing pertained more to mixing and mastering than to song creation. As such, a forum dedicated to answering the questions that this group is most likely to have seems like a VERY good idea

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

move the educator forum to pg music forums listing page then promote it in schools and at conferences with a yearly contest awarding software for best practices lesson plans

http://www.pgmusic.com/educators/forum/postlist.php?Board=general

another +1

Considering the fact that there are so many ways to use this suite of products...
1) education/ music lessons/ school curriculum
2) auto accompaniment
3) practicing
4) recording
5) mixing/mastering
6) performing
7) collaborating / help my song
8) 3rd party add-ons

the "how do I " questions should fall under specific headings. This would account for the fact that everybody is at a different place in the learning curve. The person who just bought the software doesn't need to get overwhelmed by wading through "how to" posts about mastering. Likewise, the advanced user tends to get impatient with the same never-ending newbie questions

plus the usual product specific forums that answer questions about how to setup and use the software

9) BIAB win
10) BIAB Mac
11) RealBand
12) Power Tracks
13) extra content (how to use all the other cool stuff that comes with BIAB)

it makes sense to have specific forums for each of these uses

and the forum itself has taken on a clubhouse persona, in which many of us congregate here for social interaction. It might keep the information/ how-to forums more searchable if the social stuff were dedicated to a specific area. For example:

14) CLUBHOUSE (members only) <-creates an incentive to buy and register the product)
__14a) Gear for sale or trade
__14b) Reviews (what's the best/worst ______?)
__14c) Humor (jokes, tall tales, gigging stories etc)
__14d) Links of interest (check out this band, product, idea)
__14e) General Discussion

Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Quote:

But if you're saying that the ownership of the song quickly becomes a legal mess because the co-writer is automatically part-owner of the song, that's a different story. I've heard plenty of stories where people have claimed "co-writer" credits on a song because of some minor suggestion, and I agree that's problematic.

This would not become a mess because the person who creates the song initially is the "First Copyright Holder" any suggestion or change is covered in Copyright Law under derivative works i.e. if I changed the lyrics to "Dancing Queen" to "Jelly Beans" popular ABBA song I cannot claim a new copyright and I would still have to pay dues to the writers.

Online collaboration seems like the way forward people are uploading songs on Soundcloud and remixing each others work, as long as you have the consent of the "First copyright holder" and you agree to a final collaborative new "second Copyright jointly with the other writer there is no issue.

When it comes to proving copyright most patent attorneys agree that it would be a body of evidence rather than one single piece of evidence that would determine a case and the while side with the deepest pockets could determine the outcome this would not necessarily be so.

Darren

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Quote:

I belong to a couple songwriting sites where there is peer-to-peer critiquing, suggestions and assistance going on all over the place. It is not that big of a deal to be worried about. None of these songs are going to be radio hits (ha, ha). It doesn't mean the songs aren't any good, it just means that they are folk just like us. If they were on the road to "hits", they wouldn't have time to hang out in songwriting forums.

I am neither for nor against a songwriting section -- but since there are more dedicated sites to this endeavor, it might be a case where it isn't needed. However, maybe some folks use this as a their primary internet site and it would be useful. It would take a while to gain traction, though.

Yes, if one of my songs ever became a "hit", it wouldn't surprise me to get sued by someone on an internet forum claiming to have "helped" me during the creation phase. Of course that person will be someone that didn't really help at all (ha, ha). It is a low probability risk, I do believe, though.

As a songwriter, I enjoy helping other songwriters (aspiring and otherwise) improve their songs by doing critiques and offering suggestions where I can. 90% of the time my opinions are ignored, because the songwriter wants to do what they want to do -- I am OK with that.

Kevin, you are dead right! For these types of conversations we tend to always worry about the most unlikely things! Yeah, it is possible a hit could come outta here but highly unlikely! So let the 99.999999% have a good conversation and learning experience and don't worry too much about the highly unlikely. Want another good example? Since Feb 1, 2013, as of this writing, there have been 5,329 new songs posted over at FAWM.org and many of those are collaborations between two or more people. No one there seems very concerned about song theft or ownership issues. We write the songs, post the songs, collaborate, critique and learn!

Off-Topic
L
Journeyman
Journeyman
L
Quote:

Be careful, though, too many of something tends to cheapen all...

--Mac

Having a single "Off-Topic" forum is messy, but there are advantages for the visitor.

I assume PG MUSIC has already thought about this, but this requires more moderation. Potentially, you'll begin to see more, "I'm posting here on "Off Topic" because nobody visits "..." threads. People tend to get surly with the moderators (depends on the moderators, but...). Once threads get moved, you'll start seeing threads like, "What happened to the thread about...?"

I'm understating what I've seen elsewhere.

More moderation! (man-hours)

After you subtract core post types from the Off Topic forum, what kind of future does the OT forum have?

Off-Topic
L
Journeyman
Journeyman
L
However, Peter's first sentence says "We are planning on adding some additional forums..."

1. How Do I...?

This is a staple of the "Off Topic" forum. The big question is whether someone who is capable of answering such a question will venture onto a forum that will largely contain "newbie" type questions. In the "Off Topic" forum, there have been 100's over the years who would help out of the kindness of their hearts, but they were already on the "Off Topic" forum.

2. Help My Song

This is another staple of the Off Topic forum. BiaB is a tool for the songwriter. I think it is logical to break the "critique my song" and "fix my mix" topics out in their own forum.

I absolutely share Josie' misgivings about writing from scratch. (I'm NOT talking about general comments during song creation like "try switching to a minor chord here", etc.)

3. Add on's for BiaB

I see a commercial advantage for PG Music in doing this.

This is new turf, because these folks have largely been excluded from the Off Topic forum, at least for commercial purposes.

I have one MAJOR misgiving. About the only one currently present on the Off Topic forum is Notes Norton. Some forum members have been upset that he included even a tag line about his styles. It's never bothered me, ever. I've thought he has kept a good balance.

For me, Notes Norton has been in the top handful of Off-Topic forum posters over the years.

When I see Norton's name attached to a thread, I read it. It's almost always worth my time.

If he's both places fine, but anything that causes him to leave the "Off Topic" forum is BAD.

I think Alyn's ("Gibson's) suggestion about making some forums read only for PG product non-registered posters has GREAT merit.

n. Reviews

I think Pat Marr's idea about a "Reviews" forum is a fantastic idea!!! But if and only if people would actually post reviews.

There's a problem with it though, (and also forum idea #1). Many years ago, we used to be able to search 5 years (or more) back. Now posts seem to be unavailable after a couple of years. (I haven't checked this lately.) If someone reviews a microphone, for example, I may be very interested, but not able to seriously shop (purchase) for a couple of years. Then the review's gone.

This is a forum that should be read-only for non-registered! That cuts out (or greatly reduces) the phony troll-type reviews.

n+1. Jokes

I disagree strongly about a jokes forum. Don's thread took off, but through the years one of the things that has given the "Off Topic" forum its flavor was the occasional joke post.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

There's a problem with it though, (and also forum idea #1). Many years ago, we used to be able to search 5 years (or more) back. Now posts seem to be unavailable after a couple of years. (I haven't checked this lately.) If someone reviews a microphone, for example, I may be very interested, but not able to seriously shop (purchase) for a couple of years. Then the review's gone.

as I see it, one of the best advantages of having more specific forums is to keep the INFORMATIVE posts from scrolling away so quickly. It's the mingling of social posts with technical posts that bloat the forums and make it difficult to find the good information that is there.

Yet, it's the social aspect that keeps people coming (and while they're here they answer questions)

Even if its the social forums that actually generate good information (and that's the way ideas often happen) the info can then be copied or moved to the information forums where they will be easy to find later when somebody wants that information.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I assume PG MUSIC has already thought about this, but this requires more moderation. Potentially, you'll begin to see more, "I'm posting here on "Off Topic" because nobody visits "..." threads.

one low-cost way to address this would be to give trusted volunteers moderation permission. Whereas the employees at PGMusic have other work to do, many of the forum members are retired or bored and have time to read the posts daily, copying or moving posts to other forums as necessary.

A free upgrade for a retiree on a fixed income who might not be able to buy otherwise would be a good deal for both parties.

And to keep people from burning out, the moderator could be changed every 6-12 months. This would keep diligence at a maximum and would allow more fixed-income retirees to have the most recent version.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
regarding MEMBERS ONLY forums...

I think the friendly banter is a drawing card for new customers. When potential customers visit the site and see the supportive community, they want to belong to it. Therefore, I think everybody should have READ access, much like now.

WRITE access is currently also available to anyone, they just have to sign up. (Which makes it easy for spammers to join and post)

But if write access required a registered version of the product, I think it would not only keep out bots and spammers, it would also encourage people who may be using a "borrowed" copy to buy and register a legitimate copy.

Also there are probably some who are on the fence about buying, and the option of joining the community will push them over the edge.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
“But if write access required a registered version of the product, I think it would not only keep out bots and spammers, it would also encourage people who may be using a "borrowed" copy to buy and register a legitimate copy.

Also there are probably some who are on the fence about buying, and the option of joining the community will push them over the edge.”

I am reluctant to comment, being a mere 'Journeyman', but I think that restricting write access would actually lose potential customers.

As for “CLUBHOUSE (members only)”, I would have to agree with Groucho Marx on that one. A bit too elitist for me.

Regards,

Bob

Last edited by 90 dB; 02/18/13 01:18 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think there is a place for a users-only forum. Propellerhead (mfr of "Reason" DAW/soft synth) think so, too. They have four. The General, Suggestions, and Music forums are open to all, the User forum to registered owners only. There is a great deal of overlap between the General and Users forum. The General forum deals more with prospective owners and basic questions, the Users forum more with experienced users and advanced subjects. I think there may be a small amount of status involved, but I don't think it keeps anyone away; in fact, it may be an incentive to join and get in on the fun stuff.

Just my two centibucks' worth.

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Been thinking about this a lot since the thread was put up. And there have been a lot of good points brought up.

While the Off-Topic forum does, at times, seem kind of a "jumble", I would hate to see it broken into too many pieces. There are many times that I think a thread will not interest me, but I "take a quick peek", end up reading the whole thing and learning things that I would otherwise not have learned.

This is the only forum that I have ever participated in. It has a great "community/family" feel to it. Would hate to see that change because "some of the kids have started hanging out with elsewhere" (...other areas of the forum).

I did spend a lot of time reading posts in another forum (but never "joining"), years ago at pizzamaking.com - learned everything I know about pizza making there - it was (and probably is still) a terrific forum - filled with everything you could ever want to know about making pizza. At the time, it was similiar to what this forum is now - just a few "main heading" forums. Reading the main one regularly provided information on every type of pizza and every brand of ingredient and what work for people and what didn't.... it was interesting, informative, and entertaining.

Then... they decided to "make it better" by categorizing. The different types of pizza all got their own area. So did each of the ingredients. Suddenly,, you had to go to 20 different forum areas to "learn" the things that you used to get all-in-one.

I quit going.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Peter,

This is YOUR, or at least your company's, forum to do with as you see fit. But the current status quo is bad because? is limited how? Even the one that apparently inspired this in you has not been hampered by only using the OT for general "music" related topics that I can see.

And since you put it out there:

#1 - if done CORRECTLY each Q&A would end up as "sticky" at top of that particular forum (so there would lots of 'em at top of forum) or better yet end up as FAQ with "monographs" within each topic specialty (which I suspect 95+% of anything anyone could ask is already somewhere else on the web, or on this forum, in other forums, …)

#2 - my crystal ball sees problems there but I have no dog in that fight: I wouldn’t be participating on that on at all (safer that way)

#3 - isn’t that what the wish list forums are for?

My tone above is simply "to the point" it is NOT meant to be caustic or sarcastic I respect you, your company and I LOVE your products - best value in music SW going!

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Some other forums that I frequent have sections and/or stickies for beginners. Maybe within the "How do I.....?" forum have a section on "Getting Started" or something similar. I think that some of the existing videos would be great for adding to the "stickies" as well. Or, if not a forum for beginners, there could be one for "Advanced Users". No, sadly I do not consider myself an advanced user.

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi Peter,
I would like to see a forum with access to tutorial video's, both yours and users (that have been vetted first)
The forum could have links to all relevant video's.
This would provide a one stop place for beginners and also more advanced users to assist with the ins and outs of Band In A Box and maybe Realband.

Yours
George

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
to me more forums is one thing getting information out of them is another

i would like to see maybe a forum or page dedicated to efficient searching the forums using the default search option and something other than the default search option if that option doesn't provide the desired results

the objective is example search scenarios

power searching google
http://www.google.com/insidesearch/landing/powersearching.html

advanced power searching google
http://www.powersearchingwithgoogle.com/course/aps

How To Create Your Own Custom Google Search Engine
http://www.howtogeek.com/124703/how-to-create-your-own-custom-google-search-engine/

Last edited by pghboemike; 02/19/13 01:28 AM.

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My thoughts:
  • I very much like the idea of a "How Do I...?" forum. It could start off with a sticky or three aiming people toward the Tutorials and Videos, and maybe every month or three we could combine and organize the best questions and answers into a new Forum FAQ (Read This First), or perhaps FAQs by general subject.
  • I also like Help A Song. I suspect subject lines should start with a very broad keyword, e.g., Songwriting, Mixing, Mastering. I do agree that the "songwriting" aspect should not be collaboration; the entire thing should be based on Technique, and maybe that's the heading to use for the forum.
  • I'm good with a Yard Sale forum or somesuch, for people wanting to get rid of old gear to a good home, as long as it is explicitly clear that PG Music is only putting up the electronic whiteboard and has nothing whatsoever to do with the gear, the transaction, or the after-effects. (Cue Wash in Firefly: "Curse your sudden yet inevitable betrayal!")
  • An Add-on forum would be fantastic. Notes Norton needs someone to keep him on his toes.
  • Dunno if a new Style forum is necessary; maybe the User Showcase could become something like "User Showcase: Files and Styles".
  • GIVE DON HIS JOKE FORUM NOW PLEASE I WILL HAS AN ENORMOUS SAD IF THE CHICKEN DOES NOT DANCE
  • A "New Gear Reviews" forum would also be great, encompassing both hardware and software.
  • I think the Styles Wishlist should be incorporated into the general BIAB Wishlist, just for convenience. If we have a few right at the beginning with the subject line (e.g.) "STYLE REQUEST: Classical Strings", with elaboration in the body, I think the format will catch on quick.
  • I very much DISLIKE the notion of a Users Only forum. One of the unique strengths of BIAB is this community. We help with pre-sales, we ease people in, we make 'em feel welcome. Having to register your product to get to a special forum defeats the entire purpose, I think.
Whew! Didn't expect to go on so long. My 49 cents, I guess.

Best,
Tom Smith
Win10/64 • i7-8700K • 24 GB RAM
BIAB 2024 • Reaper 7 • Izotope MPS
AKG C1000S • IK iRig I/O Pro
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
We need a forum for the sounds that are part of PG Music, yet are neither Band in a box NOR Real Band.

When I have something to share about Real Tracks or Sampletank, I don't know where to put it. It is not specific to RB or to BiaB. It is not "off topic" either - most questions and comments about RTs and Samples are directly related to music production in one of these programs, sometimes both.

I have thought a lot about this, and still don't have a good idea for what a good descriptive name for such a forum might be. Still workin' on that one...

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I see no need for a separate joke forum. If there is a problem with the joke threads that are currently active, I dont see it. Works fine for me.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,590
Posts734,781
Members38,502
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
cucahack, mandella, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365
38,501 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 189