Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#195903 02/24/13 10:06 AM
Off-Topic
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
An interesting perspective on the current state of the music business. The comments section is good as well.

http://diymusician.cdbaby.com/2012/02/wh...ional-musician/

90 dB #195904 02/24/13 10:19 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good article. Thx for the link.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Good article. Thx for the link.

+1 this guy makes some valid points in his reasoning.

Later,

Danny C. #195906 02/25/13 12:32 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Right, I've been talking about this off and on here for years. I'm in LA and that's the way it is. The idea that this guy who wrote the article thinks that trying to reason with a club owner is going to get him anywhere is wishful thinking. He's assuming there's an audience out there who gives a crap about what we consider to be live music. There isn't. Not anymore. Don't be fooled by a few friends and relatives who love our stuff. That's not a career or a following.

The reason the bands play for free is they need a venue to make a decent video that they can put up on their website and link to on Facebook and all the social media sites they use. Most here hardly know anything about that but that's the name of the game. I just mentioned a week or so ago my little story about a similar club owner who was in the club listening to us but insisted on our website and Facebook links so he could check how many "friends" we had. Since we're a bunch of old farts it's called Face what??

The restaurant that I used to do Friday night jazz gigs for over 5 years down on the pier in Hermosa Beach changed owners last year. It went from Sangria's, a good Italian place with sidewalk seating and a combination sports bar/lounge where we played to the American Junkie. Nice, eh? No, they're not referring to drugs they're referring to sports junkies. The place is absolutely packed on a Friday night. Who cares about a band?

What to know what's really happening now? Check out the Palms in Vegas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlMe5eeXqys

The Lounge at the Palms is one of the hippest places there. I just happened to see this just this morning surfing Youtube by accident. This video is from 2006 so I went to the Palms website and found this guy Stendek is the main Friday night's entertainment right now this week so he must be a hit. He's the 2010 Boss looping champion. Gee, I'm so impressed I can't stand it. I forced myself to look up that looping contest and there must have been 2000 kids there yelling and screaming. I'm not saying he doesn't have any talent, he can do a few things but Friday night prime time at the Palms? You kidding me? Anybody want to go to Vegas with the wife, make some reservations and go see this guy? At least they do have a kick ass band called the Fat City Horns in the rotation but on Monday nights. That's the absolute worst night of the week in Vegas but they are good so there's some real music going on there.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
jazzmammal #195907 02/25/13 04:48 AM
Off-Topic
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Pay to play has been an LA staple for decades. Back in '72 I accompanied an acquaintance (who managed a friend's band) to Gazzarri's once to drop off the “Pay” to the booker at Gazzarri's . It wasn't cash for tickets though. It was a more nefarious substance than that. Bands would kill to get onstage at Gazzarri's or the Whiskey back then. That was when the A & R people would actually go to hear shows. They were signing everybody with a pulse.

It was different at the Troub, though. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubadour_(Los_Angeles).

It was more open to new talent and musician-friendly.

As for Mr. Looper, my favorite comment was this:

“music, for those that dont know, is hard. very hard. this, this is a born gift gift of music! “

jazzmammal #195908 02/25/13 05:52 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

At least they do have a kick ass band called the Fat City Horns in the rotation but on Monday nights.

Is there any reference to a guy named Abe LaMarca with the Fat City Horns? He is from Cleveland and I know his band has SOME City Horns in it. It may be Tower City Horns though, as Tower City is a complex in Cleveland.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
90 dB #195909 02/25/13 01:27 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
90 db yep, so right. My sister did one of those at the Whiskey maybe 15 years ago. Maybe 6 or 8 years ago the bass player booked us as a trio with me playing organ bass at a nice coffee shop on Fairfax. They "paid" us $50 for the parking plus a sandwich and drink. We did 2 of those "gigs" and then we were told they weren't paying anything any more, not even free sandwiches. They told us they had so many bands asking about playing there for nothing, they figured why pay anything? And I don't blame them, as a business why spend if you don't have to? Nobody cared we were pro level jazz players either. Sure there's always a few jazz fans but not enough to matter. I remember a gig I did at a country club and we started out with some jazz but no, all they wanted was light commercial listening and dance stuff. The 22 year old bartender loved the jazz though and knew the original artists that did them. It was nice to talk to a young guy who was totally into it but it still didn't matter he was the only one who cared. We did Marqueritaville, Brown Eyed Girl and all that similar crap. Again.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
jazzmammal #195910 02/25/13 03:01 PM
Off-Topic
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Bob -

Is Dave Pike still kicking around there? We used to listen to him down at a little beach place in Newport.

Regards,

Bob

90 dB #195911 02/25/13 03:26 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
+1 for Dave Pike. Great vibes player; spent a lot of time at clubs in Albany.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dave is one of the things we really miss about SoCal. He is a monster on the vibes, and a nice guy as well.

90 dB #195913 02/25/13 04:27 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry, I guess I missed him, don't recognize the name. I just did a search for him in Los Angeles and the last thing I see is from the LA Times in 1996.

Bob

jazzmammal #195914 02/26/13 04:39 AM
Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
Would it be inappropriate to say that things are this way given supply and demand ? There are just so many people playing music out there, and wanting and willing to pay for free, that these less-talented people/bands are filling the needs of the club owners and crowds, and even willing to pay to play in order to do that. When the supply of musician's that can satisfy the typical restaurant dining crowd, then the pay will go up. There must be far more mediocre musicians out there than there were when you guys enjoyed your 'hey day' generations ago. And the availability of low cost, online lessons and practicing programs is fueling that. That's why I've often made a comment regarding "I don't know how anyone makes money in the music business today if you're not a pop superstar." DJ's can 'generate' enough music for a crowd, and to one of Pat's previous points - there are not enough musically educated, or 'educated' to the point of knowing, seeking out, and being willing to pay the the difference for a band that has mastered their instruments vs. a mediocre band that brings friends and family, or offers a one man show.

There was a time - I'm guessing early 1900's and before, where most people that played music did so in their home for the social aspects, entertaining themselves and their guests, and the joy of playing music. Now, with all the video games, flat screen TV's and great HBO series and movies (and don't forget Downton Abbey !) there's even less need for all the work required to learn to play an instrument (gratification is too delayed).

I think the only chance most above average musicians have in generating some decent side-money from music is in giving lessons - and there, you're also competing with a group of less talented musicians willing to do it for much less money than makes it worthwhile for an experienced, educated, musician.

Times have changed - and so has the model of making money in music, and the hardest hit are those talented musicians that are not superstars.

...IMHO, from my personal observations. That's why I'm glad to have my 'day job' and do music as a hobby - and that's why I don't prioritize more of my time to become more of an expert musician. It will come as the rest of my life and personal priorities allows time for it. And I might even be one of those guys that occasionally plays a gig for very little money - but probably at a place that doesn't regularly pay money anyway.

Joe V #195915 02/26/13 04:54 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In my opinion, the heyday of music performing opportunities had very little to do with businesses hiring bands to help their businesses. Although that did happen, the bulk of my performing opportunities came from another source:

There was a sea of postwar youngsters who had time on their hands, and society was trying to figure out how to keep us out of trouble. As I recall, most of the gigs I played were sponsored by organizations, not by businesses.

<broken record>

Which is why I think the phenomenon will repeat when that same group hits retirement and has time on their hands again. From a sociological point of view, what do you DO with a large demographic that needs activities?

Several of the performing musicians in this forum have pointed out that rest homes typically have a budget for entertainment. This is consistent with the past... organizations sponsoring ways to keep a group occupied.

IOt's also worth noting that such gigs are among the few PAYING opportunities that consistently show up in lists of venues that are available these days.

</broken record>

Pat Marr #195916 02/26/13 05:22 AM
Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
Quote:

There was a sea of postwar youngsters who had time on their hands, and society was trying to figure out how to keep us out of trouble. As I recall, most of the gigs I played were sponsored by organizations, not by businesses.

There is still a large group of youngsters that needs to be kept out of trouble...and music is a skill that requires a skilled professional to teach it properly and guide newcomers. So you would think there should still be such opportunities - but postwar youngsters did not have the technology, 2 kazillion TV shows from cable TV, video games, and (at least for those whose parents are involved) - homework requirements of today's youth.

But your points are well taken - organizatoins

Quote:

what do you DO with a large demographic that needs activities

How about putting some of them to work - even if it is a 'losing money' proposition. For example, in my opinion, every well-abled body person receiving a welfare check should be on-call for work. Now many of these people don't have the work skills, endurance, social skills, emotional intelligence, and motivation to work given the ease of obtaining that, e.g. unemployment check, for just sending out a few resumes and going on a few interviews (and how hard is it to fail at those if you like the work/reward ratio of an unemployment or welfare check - e.g. zero work / money is sent to you = zero over a number = INFINITE ration !!!)

Now - here's the problem - unions don't like the idea of somebody working and taking away some union worker's job that could be doing the same thing for fair pay. So we have our American stalemate - and we just give money out for no work.

How about this - to keep unions from going in a tizzy, and keep professional musicians employed. Everybody receiving a welfare or unemployment check is on call for 'music lessons'. The portion of welfare checks going to each person is slightly reduced AND they have to show up for music lessons where they are graded. Music to teach responsiblity, accountability, socialization skills, teamwork, etc. So if you receive benefits, you are on call to receive less benefits and be accountable to someone to keep a regular schedule, and do homework. Good for society, good for keeping up the work ethic and moral of unemployed/welfare recipients, and good for all of you professional musicians to teach not just music, but all those other things that go along with it ; )

Joe V #195917 02/26/13 09:36 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

There are just so many people playing music out there, and wanting and willing to pay for free, that these less-talented people/bands are filling the needs of the club owners and crowds, and even willing to pay to play in order to do that.

I would disagree with the term "less talented". Colleges and universities are turning out monster players by the thousands every year and all of them are chasing a handful decent paying studio jobs. No, less talented is not it, these people can play and that's the problem.

Bob

jazzmammal #195918 02/26/13 10:51 AM
Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Very interesting, Bob. Thanks for the link.

ROG.

ROG #195919 02/26/13 12:47 PM
Off-Topic
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
As a musician who makes my living from playing music I can equate to all points of view here, the chances are getting fewer to play (for me) being paid & obviously more for playing free. There is however one part of the industry that is thriving & that is synchronization for tv & film, its one of the last bastions where really making money is possible. Instead of crying over one's sort everyone should try & move with the times & search for new opportunities because they are there if you look hard enough & work hard enough to make it possible.

bupper #195920 02/26/13 03:35 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds good to me, please define what "syncronization for TV and film" is, what kind of experience are they looking for and how did you get a gig doing it.

Bob

jazzmammal #195921 02/27/13 03:36 AM
Off-Topic
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
Quote:

Sounds good to me, please define what "syncronization for TV and film" is, what kind of experience are they looking for and how did you get a gig doing it.

Bob

this explains what syncronization is:
web page

For my part, I got to do this by friends who were already doing it & its usually a case of "who you know" BUT there are plenty of opportunities, you could approach publishers with your music & also production music libraries(just google production music). There are whole libraries of every sort of music especially tailored for film & tv. The main thing is that your music should be deemed good enough (by them) & experience is not particularly necessary in the beginning but of course you will know more whats needed when you do gain a bit of experience.

bupper #195922 02/27/13 04:13 AM
Off-Topic
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,182
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185