Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Randy29 Offline OP
OP Offline
I am new to digital music and music software. Is anyone currently using Band in the Box 2013 for Windows with a Casio Privia PX-130?

R
Expert
Expert
R
Rather than wait for a 'yes', what do you need help with?

Randy29 Offline OP
OP Offline
I do not want to purchase the software only to find out that it does not work with my Casio Privia PX-130. I have no reason to believe that it will not work.

R
Expert
Expert
R
A brief look at the Casio indicates it does not support GM midi commands. Although BIAB defaults to GM, patches are easily changed. In fact, there a number of patch maps available for Casio in the support area found HERE.

Randy29 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you Rachael but I must confess I didn't understand much of what you provided. I do no expect everyone to educate me on what for me is a new music experience. At any rate, I think you told me that it is ok to purchase BinaB 2013 because I can download software that will make my Casio PX-130 useful. Is this correct?

Journeyman
Journeyman
That Privia is not a complete "General MIDI" sound module, because it contains only a limited set of commonly-used keyboard sounds. It has no pretensions to the full set of 128 instruments that BiaB can use. It is, however a competent and unusually nice-feeling MIDI keyboard that can work with a program like BiaB. The chances are that you won't be relying on General MIDI sounds much anyway, since the BiaB Real Tracks replace them.

So, although the Privia may not be the perfect match with BiaB, it will do very well. If you ever need a more fully compatible MIDI sound module, you can add one later, after you figure out what all that means. Plunge on.

There's a fair amount to learn, but it will be fun to do.

Larry
______
Journeyman
Journeyman
By the way, Randy... don't know if you have researched it yet, but there are several other Casio Privia keyboards that are very affordable, very light, sound good, and do have midi GM implacability suitable for use with BIAB or other computer software. The great thing about these keyboards, IMO, is that they feel really good to play, as Larry has pointed out.

I have a Privia PX-3 )now PX-3s, and currently being discounted), and I love it -- it does habe general midi compatibility. The main thing, as I see it, is to decide if you need speakers in the unit, or you want outboard speakers or an amp... the Px-3 doesn't have speakers, but is very easy to hook up flexibly in any number of ways.

Brad -- My FAWM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Even though your CASIO piano does not contain the full 128 instrument General MIDI voice bank, you can still attach it to your computer and use it with Band in a Box.

Use of one of the *software* MIDI synths, such as the DXi or VSTi synths that are available, some of which are included free with Band in a Box, as the Output selection inside BB, plus selecting the CASIO as the Input selection will allow you to play the keyboard along with Band in a Box on the Thru track as BB plays the accompaniment tracks, using the software voices with the CASIO if so desired. You can also just use the CASIO's internal voices alternatively, by selecting the CASIO as MIDI output and play its great sounding piano voice, for instance, along with Band in a Box all Realtracks songs.

This all may seem formidable at first, as there are likely new terminologies and issues about MIDI that you will have to deal with, but the good news is that there are lots of us here to help you get it up and running once you have the marvelous Band in a Box software in hand and installed on your computer.

The CASIO Privia PX-130 WILL WORK FINE WITH BAND IN A BOX.

--Mac

Randy29 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you all for the great information. I have copied and pasted it into a word processing document so that I can study it after I receive my purchased copy of BinaB.

The primary reason I purchased the Casio Privia PX-130 was for the excellent keyboard response. I honestly cannot feel any discernible difference from an acoustic.

Thanks again!

Journeyman
Journeyman
I didn't realize you had already bought the 130 -- sorry. I am sure it's a great machine, and am glad you are as impressed with the "touch" as I have been. Mac is absolutely right, you can easily use it with BIAB and RealBand, using the softsynth option which is built in to the software and which works well... search our extensive forum files to see a lot of discussion about which softsynths sound best, which are free, where to get them, etc.

And if you ever need a peripheral that does General Midi, there are lots of good ones available.

Brad -- My FAWM
A
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
Randy 29: I'm curious to know how this worked out for you.

Also, to everyone on this thread:

My church owns this computer and wants to do sound replacement from a sequencer software and have it play out to the keyboard as an audio instrument sound (they basically don't like the factory installed sounds on the board). I'm skeptical that it's possible: 1) because the general midi language issue and 2) because the jack is a midi/usb port.

I've had one person at Casio tell me it's not possible to use a virtual instrument replacement on this board... as well as a expert at Sweetwater sound. Still, I'd be curious to know if, once you use the driver maps offered above, if it's possible to utilize sound replacement during performance. Note, that I'm not intending to "download" any sounds onto this board itself.

Based on the outputs of this keyboard and it's midi values... also considering the upload of new driver mapping... Can I replace the sound or not. I'd be looking at using EZ Keys.

Also, the "technical support" guy at Casio had no clue what actual midi values were used/other types of midi language. I'm not familiar with the older versions of midi, so if anyone knows the name of what actual midi set is used on this keyboard; I'd be greatly indebted to you.

Thanks for any help!

Vr,
Amy Elizabeth

A
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
there is no audio out port other than the headphone jack, and it's hokey.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi Amy,

Quote:

My church owns this computer and wants to do sound replacement from a sequencer software and have it play out to the keyboard as an audio instrument sound (they basically don't like the factory installed sounds on the board). I'm skeptical that it's possible:

You're right. It's not possible. You can't play virtual instruments like Kontakt thru a keyboard. You can however use a computer as the virtual 'guts' and use your keyboard for it's midi keyboard function, with all the sounds coming from the computer. Lot's of churches and pro keyboard players use a computer on stage for just this function. Your keyboard connects via midi to the computer and then the computer is hooked into the sound system. The computer must be equipped w/ audio and midi function. You CAN use the computer's built in soundcard for the audio, but it might not sound a good as a dedicated sound module.

If your keyboard doesn't have a midi output, it's a cheap keyboard and probably wouldn't be considered adequate by many for church use.

Peace,

Ian

Last edited by Ian Ferrin; 04/25/13 07:06 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Amy, let's try to clarify what you're trying to do here. First I'm assuming when you say EX Keys you're talking about the softsynth from Toontrack.

Second, when you say you want to use a software replacement and have it play out to the Casio...you have it backwards. Your Casio is a controller that is playing the software EZ Keys that is IN your computer so the Casio is sending midi OUT to the computer (NOT audio), the computer is generating the sound using EZ Keys. You use your audio outputs from the computer, the audio outs of the Casio are irrelevant.

Here's how all this works. The casio has a USB midi out. You take a USB cable and plug it from the Casio to your computer using any of your computers USB ports. The computer should now recognize the Casio by displaying the "Windows has found new hardware" window. You shouldn't have to do anything, now the Casio is recognized. That's step 1. Step 2 is to open your DAW, since this is PG's forum, I'll use Real Band. RB is known as a DAW or sequencer. EZ Keys is a plug in that requires a host or DAW. It might work without a DAW (in Standalone mode) but I'm not seeing that in the advertising but it could be there. Once EZ Keys is installed, RB should find it. That process can be a bit tricky, lets leave that for later if there's a problem.

Here's where the confusing part is. First is the computer a new powerful PC or is it a typical donated antique thing? If it's old and slow, this may not work. If it's newer and fairly powerful it'll work fine. Next is the interface. If you don't have a separate interface and you're just using the PC's internal soundcard you'll get unacceptable latency when you try to play the keyboard. Latency is a delay you hear when you hit a key. You hit the key and a half second later you hear the sound. You'll come screaming back here yelling I can't play this!! Help!! You need a good interface that has a good ASIO driver. Again, I'm not going into details about that right now, just look it up. ASIO will reduce the delay down to the point you won't notice it. A good interface will also have good audio output plugs and a good software mixer. Run the audio out from the interface to your house PA and you're good to go.

Final point going back to the top. In this scenario the Casio is merely a controller that is controlling whatever software synth you have selected inside whatever DAW you are running inside your computer. The internal sounds of the Casio and some possible conflict with general midi have nothing to do with it. You make sure the Casio is set to the same midi channel as your EZ Keys and everything will be fine.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
A
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
Hey Bob and Ian,

I have to apologize for saying "My church owns this computer".. I obviously meant.. that my church owns this keyboard. It was late and I was tired.
I am familiar with midi and how it works, but the church wanted to use the keyboard as the "thru".
When i said sound replacement, we were hoping to not be coming out of the computers out. And how would you do that anyway?
Headphone jacks out again?

I'm already not happy about the keyboards only actual feasible audio out being headphone jacks either. That loses some sound quality, as I understand it... to go all the way from 3.55mm to xlr. Yikes.

In our situation, we have the cpu (brand new computer mbp) at the back of the church and a decent 300 foot to the front of the church.... a usb cable that far will have latency. While midi use is advisable in these scenarios... we are still unsure about this particular keyboard as even the Casio technicians can't seem to tell us how many values sets that it does use, so as to use the proper map patches as needed. So frustrating.

In the end, the church has decided not to use this keyboard..... as work with any amps/speakers/outboxes will require the use of the headphone jacks as outs to those items... and the headphone outs are running an unbalanced pre-amp out of it in them...and puts noise on the line, even with a TRS connector. If we by-pass the unbalanced pre-amp to the headphone.. we lose volume. This particular keyboard is a menace.

Still, for my own knowledge, I'd like to know how all these bigger churches go from computer to speakers?

Sorry, I'm not a novice to midi, but using headphones as outs.. well, that's just not what I'm used to.... and I've never done sound replacement outside of a interface based studio.

Thanks for the help!
-Amy

Last edited by amynelson; 05/01/13 03:38 PM.
A
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
Ian,

What if the keyboard has neither midi or audio, but only one usb in/out? Just checking.

Also, It is my understanding that newer workstation and arranger keyboards and some stage pianos can use the midi in and out to "grab" a VSTi sound and uses the keyboard as the thru, so as to accomplish sound replacement....not that you are downloading, but you are using the intrument software to play a VSTi, and then because midi can go back to the keyboard, and some keyboards are actual interfaces themselves..that it can play out it's own RCA or 1/4 inch outs as if the keyboard is the "thru". Is that not right?

Last edited by amynelson; 05/01/13 03:44 PM.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: amynelson

I'm already not happy about the keyboards only actual feasible audio out being headphone jacks either. That loses some sound quality, as I understand it... to go all the way from 3.55mm to xlr. Yikes.

With the properly wired adaptor, there would be no audible difference. Electrically, the headphone output is an unbalanced line level signal.

So that part is nothing to worry about, just rather inconvenient in hookup.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: amynelson
It is my understanding that newer workstation and arranger keyboards and some stage pianos can use the midi in and out to "grab" a VSTi sound and uses the keyboard as the thru, so as to accomplish sound replacement....not that you are downloading, but you are using the intrument software to play a VSTi, and then because midi can go back to the keyboard, and some keyboards are actual interfaces themselves..that it can play out it's own RCA or 1/4 inch outs as if the keyboard is the "thru". Is that not right?

Amy, your understanding is kinda, sorta almost there. A keyboard doesn't "grab" anything and I have to go back to Bob's basic mantra: "Midi is not audio, audio is not midi, oommmm".

Midi is computer commands telling a synthesizer what to play. It's the synth that is generating the audio so therefore where do you plug in your audio cables to go to your PA? The audio cables go from the synth. The next question then is where is the synth? It could be the internal synth inside your keyboard, it could be a hardware synth module or it could be a software synth inside a computer. If it's software inside your computer then where do you plug in your audio cables? Obviously the audio has to come from your computer. Do you want to use those stupid little mini plugs coming from your motherboard on the back? No you don't, you use a separate audio/midi interface that has proper 1/4' audio output jacks just like any other piece of stage equipment. Yes, some keyboards do act as interfaces but most of those are not appropriate for what you need.

You need a standard audio/midi interface that plugs into the computer using USB. So that means the Casio plugs into a USB port and the interface plugs into another USB port. The computer sees the Casio as a midi device (controller) and it also sees the interface. You play the Casio's keys only NOT it's internal synth, the computer generates the sound using a software VSTi through the interface and the audio cables go from the interface to your PA. Simple. Forget these words "grabbing", "thru", "downloading". They're confusing the issue. The Casio's internal sounds or lack of audio output plugs are completely irrelevant.

If the computer you're talking about is 300 feet from the stage then no, that is not going to work. IF you want to use VSTi's for your sound then you need a laptop right there on stage with you next to the keyboard. If using a laptop on stage is not possible then your only option is to use a hardware synth module that you control from the Casio and the audio output goes from that to your PA or you need another keyboard that has the sounds you like.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
A
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
While I am not interested to argue just for arguements sake, but I believe headphones are similarly either unbalanced or balanced based on the amt of rings on the jack. For ex: a TRS (tip+ring+sleeve) is balanced and a TS (tip+sleeve) is unbalanced. Just like on guitar cords (unbalanced 1/4 outs with TS) vs typical speaker 1/4 outs that are TRS. And, of course, a TRRS is also unbalanced. yada yada yada...

A
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
Why would buying a keyboard that *is* an interface, not be appropriate as a stage piano? It seems to me, that this is becoming more and more the way to go... and yes, I've considered an interface (actually in our case) between the cpu and the board... Though I appreciate the clarification about the interface outboard of the cpu outs. I figured that was the case. We want to stay away from a computer rig on stage, due to small stage and no booth near the stage.. Ours is the traditional, in the back of the house, booth. smirk This keyboard does not have a midi out. So usb latency out is an issue.. as it's a live performance.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195