Options
Index
#198395 - 03/16/13 10:18 PM [User Showcase] Artificial Voices
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Stimulated by DCuny's post about voice synthesis I started experimenting
with Sinsy and wrote a little song. (Thank you once again for the motivation).
Suitable for the subject I used Trance style and produced in FL Studio.

RealTracks are:
RT1771_Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkMovinMuted Ev16 130
RT1444_Sax, Alto, Soloist JazzFunkGroovin Ev16 110
RT1273_Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopUplift Ev16 120

As I happened to get a trial version of Vocaloid's Megpoid (Gumi) I made a second
version with that voice.
I personally prefer Sinsy because it sounds really artificial. Gumi is a little
too 'human'.

http://soundcloud.com/boehmusic/artificial-voices-sinsy
http://soundcloud.com/boehmusic/artificial-voices-gumi-version

I suggest good speakers or better headphones to get the
subsonics and panning effects.

Guenter

#198396 - 03/16/13 10:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: boehm]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Guenter,

Very impressive! I didn't catch all the words on either version but the aural texture of a human voice is clearly recognizable on both. Personally, I preferred the Gumi version.

Once more I'm amazed by what you do!

All the best,
Noel

#198397 - 03/16/13 10:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: boehm]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Guenter,

As exceptional and interesting as everything else you have done. The music is beautiful and thoroughly enjoyable. The instrumentation - great - as always - the sax and guitar are quite tasteful and... tasty.

I actually preferred the gumi version, because... I could understand some words (quite well). Some I could not. That made it like some secret message that I might figure out if I listen enough.... intriguing. (the sinsy, I could not understand much...)

Cool stuff. I am a fan. Uhg... Guenter... good...

floyd

#198398 - 03/17/13 06:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: floyd jane]
PeterGannon Offline
PG Music Staff

Thanks for posting. One question, with these voice synths, how do you control the pronunciation, for example, if you want them to say amen, how do you control whether it is ahh-men or ayy-men ?

#198399 - 03/17/13 07:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: PeterGannon]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Guenter !

I was mighty impressed with your artificial
voices indeed !:)Soon we old singers will be
completely replaced by artificial ones (LOL) !

Cheers
Dani

#198400 - 03/17/13 09:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: dani48]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Guenter,

in my opinion this is an excellent piece of work even before the artificial voices enter the equation!

You have a real knack for assembling interesting instrumental parts into one cohesive sound quilt. What's your musical background? Surely you aren't just a hobbyist. Hobbyists tend to make nice songs that sound like other nice songs they've heard before; but all of your creations have an air of originality that I don't often see/hear on hobbyist sites.

Very nice work! It would be an understatement to say that I enjoy your songs.

#198401 - 03/17/13 11:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: Pat Marr]
boehm Offline
Veteran

Thank you all for your nice comments.
@Noel and Floyd: I think it's not important to understand all the words. But here are the "lyrics":
"Looking up, looking down
illusions all around.
Artificial voices
Supernatural sound
I'm flying to the sky
I'm soaring way up high"
@Peter: In Vocaloid there is an English Dictionary with a phonetic transcription which you can customize.
For example: I wanted "natural" to be pronounced as 2 syllables. So I made up the words
"natch" n@tS and "ral" r{l.
So amen could start with eI or Q@.
In Sinsy you must experiment with the writing of words. I could try it with "armen".
@Dani: Don't bother. We won't experience that.
@Pat: Yes, I'm a hobbyist. I started learning the piano at the age of ten, with sixteen the bass and later drums and saxophone.
For twenty years I played in a band (mostly in American officers' clubs), and for another twenty years I ran a sound studio.
But that was all hobby beside my actual job of being a teacher.
(Although one of my subjects was Music for about twenty years).
Now I am retired and only want to be creative. That's why I experiment a lot. I just love the process of creating.
And it's great fun to find out that some people like my stuff.

Guenter

#198402 - 03/17/13 12:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: boehm]
Loc: Homosassa , Florida
GDaddy Offline
Expert

Loc: Homosassa , Florida
Carl...

Swingin' Electronic Music...

Stationed in Ansbach, 1957-58, I played gigs around the 7th Army and for Fasching.

I've played synth guitar (Roland GR-303) and have enjoyed my toys...some listed below,

for many years.....but it must swing, right???
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3

#198403 - 03/17/13 12:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: Pat Marr]
Loc: South Louisiana
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
Quote:

Guenter,

in my opinion this is an excellent piece of work even before the artificial voices enter the equation!

You have a real knack for assembling interesting instrumental parts into one cohesive sound quilt. What's your musical background? Surely you aren't just a hobbyist. Hobbyists tend to make nice songs that sound like other nice songs they've heard before; but all of your creations have an air of originality that I don't often see/hear on hobbyist sites.

Very nice work! It would be an understatement to say that I enjoy your songs.

+1 Pat said it all for me, you are indeed an original.

Also the Gumi version was my favorite.

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#198404 - 03/18/13 07:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: Danny C.]
Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Okay, we know the Real Tracks--but how did you do that bass line? This track is comparable to the best of Stevie Wonder without being derivative in the least. I can think of no higher praise. I bow before Meister Boehm.

Srsly, this thing rocks! I love the electronic setting, and the voice just fills out the palette. Mehr, bitte.

R.

#198405 - 03/18/13 09:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: Ryszard]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Yes, I'm a hobbyist. I started learning the piano at the age of ten, with sixteen the bass and later drums and saxophone.
For twenty years I played in a band (mostly in American officers' clubs), and for another twenty years I ran a sound studio.
But that was all hobby beside my actual job of being a teacher.
(Although one of my subjects was Music for about twenty years).
Now I am retired and only want to be creative. That's why I experiment a lot. I just love the process of creating.
And it's great fun to find out that some people like my stuff.

your musical resume exceeds what I would call a hobbyist. It may not have been your primary career, but the time span during which you were continuously engaged in performing or recording (presumably for pay) puts you (in my opinion) in the pro or semipro category. And it shows in your musical sensibilities... you have the kind of feel for song construction that can only be learned through extended refinement of your ideas and experiments.

You are one of several people posting here whose music really impresses me, and the common denominator among all those masters is the time spent on the craft. A newby with great software can make a really good sounding song using the built-in automation.. .but to create the songs you (and some others here) create requires a LOT of musical sensibility. By that I mean the ability to differentiate between what sounds good and what sounds PERFECT

And you do an AWESOME job of assembling those perfect parts into a song

#198406 - 03/18/13 12:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: Pat Marr]
Loc: WEST MIDLANDS, UK
sixchannel Offline
Expert

Loc: WEST MIDLANDS, UK
Hi Guenter
what an amazing piece of work!
I'm not into electronic music but this is AMAZING and may have changed my mind!
I dont think the voices HAVE to make sense - a bit like Carl Jenkins with his "Adiemus" suite.
You manage to blend in so much into a cohesive whole.
cheers
ian
BTW - did I say it was Amazing?

BB2019Plus,604,RB2,Cakewalk GTPro2(2003),Adobe Audition1.5(2003),WindowsXPPro and Win7

http://app.box.com/s/p7lirbbuvjae03dsd4v5

for tracks that use BIAB specifically-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel

#198407 - 03/18/13 01:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: sixchannel]
boehm Offline
Veteran

Thanks GDaddy, Danny, Ryszard, Pat and Ian
for the nice words.
@GDaddy: It's nice you call me Carl. But there has never been anybody named Carl in my family. You're right, it must swing (or rock).
@Ryszard: That's too much. You make me blush. Stevie Wonder wouldn't like that.
@Pat: Ok. Call me a semipro. Thanks a lot for your compliments.

Guenter

#198408 - 03/18/13 02:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: boehm]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Online   content
Veteran

Like Noel said, the Gummi version is a bit nicer, because it draws less attention to itself. When I hear something spoken, I automatically want to try understanding it. With the Gummi version, I can just zone out with the music.

And as Pat said, the bass like really makes the song.

Are there still any demo versions of Vocaloid available? It would be useful for my not-so-secret coding project.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#198409 - 03/18/13 02:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: dcuny]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Guenter
A very impressive piece.

#198410 - 03/18/13 04:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: Ryszard]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Ryszard -

Thanks for the tip on boosting the bass line in Estate. I did it, and, sure enough, it sounds better. My guess is you're a bass player, because you asked exactly the question of Guenter that I wanted to. Namely, where the ,,, did he get that superkickin' bass line? Is the answer somewhere in this list of responses?

Aleck Rand
Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)

#198411 - 03/18/13 04:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: aleck rand]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

WOW!

Guenter, I've been looking in this list for the source of the bass lines. Who - WHAT- did that?
Du bist ein Monster mein Freund! Und damit meine ich nicht einen Mann in einem Gummianzug, die du siehst in den Filmen! Du bist WIRKLICH beängstigend.

Aleck Rand
Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)

#198412 - 03/18/13 09:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: aleck rand]
boehm Offline
Veteran

Thanks David, Joanne and Aleck for your nice comments.

@David: Here you are: https://www2.ssw.co.jp/download/dl_trial_en.aspx
Where do I get information about your coding project?
@Aleck: Here is the source for the bass line:
Who --> me
What --> Sytrus synth (in FL Studio)
I have been a bass player for 50 years (first bass guitars and for some years on keyboard) and that bass track wasn't that important for me. I'm glad so many people like it.

Guenter

#198413 - 03/18/13 11:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: boehm]
dcuny Online   content
Veteran

Hi, Guenter.

Thanks for the link!

My goal is create a free Vocaloid-like program that can sing reasonably well in English.

I'm focusing on the rendering engine, rather than the GUI. For one thing, I think Sinsy shows that it's possible to get reasonably good output if there's some built-in intelligence about phrasing and such.

There's already a free editor for Vocaloid/Utau written in Java called Cadencii, so there's no need to reinvent that wheel.

I've done some proof-of-concept work. The pitch detection and pitch shifting code seem to work reasonably well. Here's an example. You can ignore the "buzzy" sound - that's part of the original recording. The important thing is that it (more or less) preserves the character of the sound without introducing the "chipmunk effect".

I'm creating a sort of "melodic backbone" of frequency information that includes preparation, portamento, overshoot and vibrato, and while it's pretty rough, it shows promise. Right now, it only renders the melody as a sine wave. Here's an example.

I'm currently in the process of gluing these parts together into a simple rendering engine that can take phonemes sung one one pitch, and follow that melodic curve. Once that's done, I'll can have it start singing "La, la, la".

I've also experimented with cross-fading phonemes together, both with simple time-based crossfades and more complex harmonic-based crossfades (like in Vocaloid). I can't hear much difference between the two. When I add that, I should be able to render simple melodies like "do-be-do-be-do".

If I can get it that far, I'll need to start building a sung database of phonemes. I'm not looking forward to that, because English requires a ton of phonemes. I expect to record blocks of blends in VCV format, like "ahtah ehteh ihtih ohtoh uhtuh aytay eetee ietie ohtoh ...", much like UTAU does. Each of the blends can be used for VCV blends ("...ahtah..."), VC endings ("...aht") and CV beginnings ("tah...").

It's being coded in Java mainly because I'm comfortable coding in it. I suspect it would be fairly straight forward to convert to C or C# when it's done.

I'd considered trying to do this with the UTAU engine, but there's no documentation on it that I can find. Also, it seems to require Japanese localization, and that's a bit of a pain.

If you've got any additional questions, let me know, or shoot me an email - I PM'd you my email address.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#198414 - 03/19/13 09:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: dcuny]
TexasHeartRush Offline
Apprentice

This is a terrific composition. Well produced.

I love the cross-pollination of soft synths and Real Tracks. BIAB is so unique and makes it so fun add real samples/phrases to electronic music as you can literally write out the progression and the real track 'musicians' will follow suit. Extract those...and you have a well played...pre-played track to add and manipulate. The RT Sax really worked well with this. Soft and yet driving. Great work!~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

NEW! Style-style-style Additions and Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

With over 64 new features and enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019, we've made sure to add to, enhance, and update some of the Style features within the program: StylePicker, StyleMaker, and Song Titles browser within the StylePicker!

StylePicker Enhancements:
-If the style list needs rebuild, it tells you that within the StylePicker, instead of a message that requires a response.
-The rebuild is faster than before by 75%. It takes 1/4 of the time now.
-While the style list is being rebuilt, you can see the progress inside the StylePicker.
-The style list can be filtered by a specific RealTracks/RealDrums/MIDI SuperTracks or RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks in a certain number range.
-You can filter the style list by a specific Xtra Styles PAK.
-The dialog to select an Xtra Styles PAK has a button to take you to the PG Music website that shows information about Xtra Styles PAKs.
-The StylePicker can list all styles (including N/A styles) in the default display.
-The Set number display is improved, including sort by type and Xtra styles.

StyleMaker Improvements:

-The new MIDI velocity offset allows you to make styles with altered loudness for MIDI tracks.
-Styles can be saved with information like a memo, examples, genres, and more, which will be displayed in the StylePicker.
-You can import information from another style. This is useful when you are making a similar style.
-A style can have a huge number of RealTracks (up to 70!) because the StyleMaker now supports RealTracks multi/medley feature, which allows a single track to have up to 10 simultaneous playing of RealTracks.

Song Titles Browser Enhancement

-We’ve added 300 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now over 10,600 titles.
-The chord density filter is available, and it’s also displayed in the memo.
-The chord complexity filter is available.

Review all the new features of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 here.

Forum Stats
28430 Members
58 Forums
55208 Topics
459765 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
paulpno, Ixion, Justin P, thierry.inconnu, drolander

28429 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 341
Pipeline 314