Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
H
HowBand Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I've been trying to lay down a simple rhythm track to practice mando and guitar lead against. There is a pause between the 3rd and 4th parts (the part where it goes from Am/Dm/Am/E7,D/. It only happens that one time in the song. Don't blame me, Bill Monroe wrote it that way. Anyway, I've played with bar and chord settings, rests, shots, and I CANNOT get the timing right. Not saying that they are not the answer, but, I can't get it right. I'd say it's about 4 beats right before that Am (I may be wrong there). Has anyone worked on this tune that can give me a tip. I'd REALLY appreciate it. (BTW, I've downloaded a few Jeruselum Ridge SGUs that were shared on the WEB but noone has taken that pause into account.

Thanks you for your help...

How

Also, I'm using BIAB 2013

Veteran
Veteran
Hi How,

Welcome to the forums.

I don't know the work "Jerusalem Ridge" so I went to Youtube to have a listen. The url for the version I listened to is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URA1q31UAGM

After listening to the above, I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say a "pause between 3rd and 4th parts". Could you please have a listen to the above url and let me know at what time (e.g. 1:58, 2:07, etc.) the pause you are trying to re-create occurs. When I can hear and properly understand what you're after, I'll be in a better place to help out.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
H
HowBand Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Heyy Noel,

Thank you for taking the time to listen. When the song is played that fast it's very subtle (it happens at about 43 seconds into the song).

But, here is another youtube of the tune slower with Kenny Baker playing it (who played with Bill Monroe at the time) and he's old and playing it slower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBLNl1zCBiE

It occurs at about 44 seconds into the video.

Howie

H
HowBand Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Sorry, that would be about 34 seconds into the video not 44.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBLNl1zCBiE

Howie again

Veteran
Veteran
Hi again, Howie.

I understand what you mean, now.

You mentioned that you've played around with rests and shots but I'm not sure if that means that you've made them instrument specific. I write the below just in case you haven't.

What I'd be doing is to investigate rests and shots on one or two tracks only while all other tracks play normally.

To do this ...

1. Right click on the bar in question and select "Chord Settings" (#1)

2. Now set the beat (#1). I suspect it will work best on beat 3 but it would also be worth playing around with settings for beat 4. Select "Shot" (#2). If "Shot" doesn't work, it would be worth trying out "Rest only". Now select which tracks you don't want the effect to occur on (#3). In the picture below, the shot is only occurring on the Guitar track; all other tracks are exempt. It would also be worth playing with "Excluded instruments should rest" - especially if you put the effect on beat 4.

Hope this helps,
Noel

H
HowBand Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thanks again Noel...I will play with what you suggested and let you know.

How

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
There is an extra beat in the song (both versions in the links above).

If you don't have that extra beat in there, that could be part of why you can't
get it to sound right.

An extra half measure is not unusual in bluegrass, and shows up in country music also.
In 2/4 time, this single beat would be an extra half measure.

Not sure though what the intended time signature is for this song. I hear it as 2/4.

If you could post the chords you are using where one part ends and the next part begins,
I think I can show you exactly where the extra beat is.

L
Veteran
Veteran
L
I did a bit of research on the 'net for this and it appears that Kenny Baker and Bill Monroe wrote this together, or at least Kenny helped Bill write it. If you pull up the "recorded" version here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URA1q31UAGM

(as opposed to the "live" version links above), you'll find that, as megafiddle says, there are several places in the song where there's an extra beat in the bar.

I pulled the version I've shown here into the ACW and the first "long bar" (i.e. 5/4 if you're counting in 4/4 time) is at bar 22 (I believe).

The ACW will let you set any bar to (almost) any time signature, so it's fairly easy to line up the .wav file with the BIAB chord sheet in the ACW. However, when you "send to BIAB", there's no provision in BIAB to create a 5/4 bar. You would have to create (say) a 4/4 bar plus a 1/4 bar to get things to line up.

Good luck!
LLOYD S

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
I also get one extra beat in bar 22, counting the 6 bar intro, in the "recorded" version.
It's immediately before the Am Dm E7 Am
(in 4/4 time, which does make sense for this song)

I added a 1/4 measure after bar 22, and at 123 beats/minute, I am able to sync the chord
display in BIAB with the youtube audio perfectly.
That's when I discovered an extra half measure (2 beats) right after bar 32.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
This is yet another reason why I'm always saying that COUNTING is the most important aspect of music making...

--Mac

R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Here is the info on the time signature change as played by Tony Rice (and some others).

Jerusalem Ridge for guitar in Am, 4/4 time (as played by Tony Rice)

The timing change occurs in 3/2 time described below:

2nd ending on part B consists of 1 bar as follows in 3/2 time,

16th Notes "E,F,C,G#", half note "A", quarter note rest, eighth notes "G,A"

2nd bar of Tag is also in 3/2 time consists of:

tied eighth and quarter note "hammer D to E", eighth note G, 16th notes "E,D,C,D", 16th notes "E,C,D,C"

I haven't yet put the arrangement into BB, but the two bars of 3/2 I suspect will be tricky (Peter?)

Richard

L
Veteran
Veteran
L
Rich:

Perhaps Peter or someone else will chime in here with a way to add the bars of 3/2.
In the meantime, since it's HowBand's stated request to just have a BIAB file that he can practice with, I think it would be easier to just use megafiddle's method above.

That is, just add a 1/4 measure after bar 22.
I guess you could also split up bar 22 into 2 bars, one bar of 3/4 and one of 2/4
or 2/4 and 3/4 depending on where the perceived accent beat falls.

LLOYD S

Hi, sorry I'm so late to the party grin

The song to my Covid-bound ears seems 4/4 all the way through with three ¼ beat rests added per run-through.

Iimmediately before the Part C there is one rest, and at the tail of Part D, including the repeat, there is also the rest. I've tested my perception multiple times, with and without coffee, and it comes up consistent.

I'm basing this on the 1975 Kenny Baker recording. When Bill comes in with his mandolin, he is playing a high note through the rest but if you count the rest then begin with 4/4 again, it works out perfectly all the way through.

Bill and Kenny were tricky guys. Brilliant phrasing. vThere is nothing to imply a 3/2 measure or a 5/4 measure. Just the plain ol' ¼ beat rest thrown in there.

It takes some getting used to, but if you count 4/4 and throw in the extra beat at those moments, it all works out consistently.

Love the F# Kenny plays in the first measure of Part A. Naturally, as it should be sharp I'm sure. that is the way I play it.

Great to be here. Sorry I'm late. - The Woodman

Veteran
Veteran
Welcome, Woodman.
Thanks for the in depth appraisal of the song structure, and the discussion on how the artists delivered the phrasing. Good info there.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
To change the time signature at ANY bar:

"Edit" > "Set Time Signature (range of bars)...".
Quote:
This dialog offers you a way to assign a specific time signature at any bar and apply it to a range of bars.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi HowBand smile

You wouldn't have the feature since you're using an older version (I believe it was included in 2017). But in the top right hand corner of modern StylePicker windows, you can enter in a popular song title or music artist and it'll give you suggestions.

I typed in Jerusalem Ridge in my newer version and it gave me some results - try out the Styles:

_BLUG2BT
_BLUEGRSF
_BLUGRSM
_BLUGRGS

Last edited by Deryk - PG Music; 04/21/20 03:00 AM.

Cheers,
Deryk
Expert
Expert
You could work from an imported existing midifile, or edit the melody manually into the Melody track too, for guidance.

Melody midi channel use in BIAB is normally ch 4, in the downloadable session files below it might be ch 1.

Midifiles and printed stuff:
http://www.bluegrassbanjo.org/e-k.html
https://thesession.org/tunes/1812

PS using Halion Sonic SE (free) as Midi sound goes, this VST might give you a better sound source.

In Monroe's recording with Kenny Baker there are also some slight tempo slowdowns on the breaks, you could do that via Bar settings (F5?)
Otherwise the BIAB realtracks are great for backing with Andy Leftwich as sparring partner especially.

PS saves you work?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD1Z4xIGzmc
you'll make a better one wth BIAB's realtracks however ..

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195