You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#200151 - 04/04/13 09:46 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Jeruselum Ridge by Bill Monroe - anyone familiar with this song?
HowBand Offline

I've been trying to lay down a simple rhythm track to practice mando and guitar lead against. There is a pause between the 3rd and 4th parts (the part where it goes from Am/Dm/Am/E7,D/. It only happens that one time in the song. Don't blame me, Bill Monroe wrote it that way. Anyway, I've played with bar and chord settings, rests, shots, and I CANNOT get the timing right. Not saying that they are not the answer, but, I can't get it right. I'd say it's about 4 beats right before that Am (I may be wrong there). Has anyone worked on this tune that can give me a tip. I'd REALLY appreciate it. (BTW, I've downloaded a few Jeruselum Ridge SGUs that were shared on the WEB but noone has taken that pause into account.

Thanks you for your help...

How

Also, I'm using BIAB 2013

#200152 - 04/04/13 02:53 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jeruselum Ridge by Bill Monroe - anyone familiar with this song? [Re: HowBand]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi How,

Welcome to the forums.

I don't know the work "Jerusalem Ridge" so I went to Youtube to have a listen. The url for the version I listened to is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URA1q31UAGM

After listening to the above, I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say a "pause between 3rd and 4th parts". Could you please have a listen to the above url and let me know at what time (e.g. 1:58, 2:07, etc.) the pause you are trying to re-create occurs. When I can hear and properly understand what you're after, I'll be in a better place to help out.

Regards,
Noel

#200153 - 04/04/13 03:41 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jeruselum Ridge by Bill Monroe - anyone familiar with this song? [Re: Noel96]
HowBand Offline

Heyy Noel,

Thank you for taking the time to listen. When the song is played that fast it's very subtle (it happens at about 43 seconds into the song).

But, here is another youtube of the tune slower with Kenny Baker playing it (who played with Bill Monroe at the time) and he's old and playing it slower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBLNl1zCBiE

It occurs at about 44 seconds into the video.

Howie

#200154 - 04/04/13 03:43 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jeruselum Ridge by Bill Monroe - anyone familiar with this song? [Re: HowBand]
HowBand Offline

Sorry, that would be about 34 seconds into the video not 44.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBLNl1zCBiE

Howie again

#200155 - 04/04/13 04:16 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jeruselum Ridge by Bill Monroe - anyone familiar with this song? [Re: HowBand]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi again, Howie.

I understand what you mean, now.

You mentioned that you've played around with rests and shots but I'm not sure if that means that you've made them instrument specific. I write the below just in case you haven't.

What I'd be doing is to investigate rests and shots on one or two tracks only while all other tracks play normally.

To do this ...

1. Right click on the bar in question and select "Chord Settings" (#1)

2. Now set the beat (#1). I suspect it will work best on beat 3 but it would also be worth playing around with settings for beat 4. Select "Shot" (#2). If "Shot" doesn't work, it would be worth trying out "Rest only". Now select which tracks you don't want the effect to occur on (#3). In the picture below, the shot is only occurring on the Guitar track; all other tracks are exempt. It would also be worth playing with "Excluded instruments should rest" - especially if you put the effect on beat 4.

Hope this helps,
Noel

#200156 - 04/04/13 05:22 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jeruselum Ridge by Bill Monroe - anyone familiar with this song? [Re: Noel96]
HowBand Offline

Thanks again Noel...I will play with what you suggested and let you know.

How

#200157 - 04/04/13 07:31 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jeruselum Ridge by Bill Monroe - anyone familiar with this song? [Re: HowBand]
Loc: Fred'burg VA
megafiddle Offline
Apprentice

There is an extra beat in the song (both versions in the links above).

If you don't have that extra beat in there, that could be part of why you can't
get it to sound right.

An extra half measure is not unusual in bluegrass, and shows up in country music also.
In 2/4 time, this single beat would be an extra half measure.

Not sure though what the intended time signature is for this song. I hear it as 2/4.

If you could post the chords you are using where one part ends and the next part begins,
I think I can show you exactly where the extra beat is.

#200158 - 04/05/13 04:01 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jeruselum Ridge by Bill Monroe - anyone familiar with this song? [Re: megafiddle]
Lloyd S Offline
Expert

I did a bit of research on the 'net for this and it appears that Kenny Baker and Bill Monroe wrote this together, or at least Kenny helped Bill write it. If you pull up the "recorded" version here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URA1q31UAGM

(as opposed to the "live" version links above), you'll find that, as megafiddle says, there are several places in the song where there's an extra beat in the bar.

I pulled the version I've shown here into the ACW and the first "long bar" (i.e. 5/4 if you're counting in 4/4 time) is at bar 22 (I believe).

The ACW will let you set any bar to (almost) any time signature, so it's fairly easy to line up the .wav file with the BIAB chord sheet in the ACW. However, when you "send to BIAB", there's no provision in BIAB to create a 5/4 bar. You would have to create (say) a 4/4 bar plus a 1/4 bar to get things to line up.

Good luck!
LLOYD S

#200159 - 04/05/13 11:50 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jeruselum Ridge by Bill Monroe - anyone familiar with this song? [Re: Lloyd S]
megafiddle Offline
Apprentice

I also get one extra beat in bar 22, counting the 6 bar intro, in the "recorded" version.
It's immediately before the Am Dm E7 Am
(in 4/4 time, which does make sense for this song)

I added a 1/4 measure after bar 22, and at 123 beats/minute, I am able to sync the chord
display in BIAB with the youtube audio perfectly.
That's when I discovered an extra half measure (2 beats) right after bar 32.

#200160 - 04/06/13 08:04 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jeruselum Ridge by Bill Monroe - anyone familiar with this song? [Re: megafiddle]
Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
This is yet another reason why I'm always saying that COUNTING is the most important aspect of music making...

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#200161 - 04/12/13 10:45 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jeruselum Ridge by Bill Monroe - anyone familiar with this song? [Re: HowBand]
rich in ca Offline
Apprentice

Here is the info on the time signature change as played by Tony Rice (and some others).

Jerusalem Ridge for guitar in Am, 4/4 time (as played by Tony Rice)

The timing change occurs in 3/2 time described below:

2nd ending on part B consists of 1 bar as follows in 3/2 time,

16th Notes "E,F,C,G#", half note "A", quarter note rest, eighth notes "G,A"

2nd bar of Tag is also in 3/2 time consists of:

tied eighth and quarter note "hammer D to E", eighth note G, 16th notes "E,D,C,D", 16th notes "E,C,D,C"

I haven't yet put the arrangement into BB, but the two bars of 3/2 I suspect will be tricky (Peter?)

Richard

#200162 - 04/13/13 01:49 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jeruselum Ridge by Bill Monroe - anyone familiar with this song? [Re: rich in ca]
Lloyd S Offline
Expert

Rich:

Perhaps Peter or someone else will chime in here with a way to add the bars of 3/2.
In the meantime, since it's HowBand's stated request to just have a BIAB file that he can practice with, I think it would be easier to just use megafiddle's method above.

That is, just add a 1/4 measure after bar 22.
I guess you could also split up bar 22 into 2 bars, one bar of 3/4 and one of 2/4
or 2/4 and 3/4 depending on where the perceived accent beat falls.

LLOYD S

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows Online Manual - Chord List & Shortcuts

Visit the Chord List of our Online Manual, and you'll see all the chords that can be used within the program! The list includes a few Tricky Chords and Shortcut Chords that you may find useful too!

Tricky Chords:
C5b This is "C flat 5." It is spelled this way to avoid confusion.
C2, C5, C4, C69, C7alt, Cm7#5
You can type C-7 for Cm7 (i.e. use the minus sign) or C7-9 for C7b9.

Shortcut Chords
If you enter a lot of songs, you will appreciate these shortcut keys.
J = Maj7
H = m7b5 (H stands for Half diminished)
D = dim
S = 7sus

There's even information on how to add your own chord shortcuts - check it out!

Video Request Answered - Creating Intros, Bridges, and Endings in Band-in-a-Box®

Check out the newest support video created by Kent that explains how to create intros, bridges, and endings in Band-in-a-Box®! Click here to view...

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker Feature

If you have a folder of songs that you'd always like easy access to within Band-in-a-Box, make sure you familiarize yourself with The SongPicker feature, which access the folder that you choose and lock it to!

Access the SongPicker by clicking on the [Song] button next to the title of the song within the main screen of Band-in-a-Box. The first time the SongPicker is opened, you can choose the folder to use to create the list by selecting [Change] and navigating to your preferred directory. Once chosen, select [OK - Make Song List], and Band-in-a-Box does the rest... the next time you click on [Song], you'll be taken directly to your preferred folder!

Learn even more about this feature within Chapter 5 of our Online Manual, here.

Just Launched - The FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

If you have a question (or questions!) about Band-in-a-Box®, PowerTracks, RealBand®, or any other PG Music Inc. product - whether it be technical support or pre-sales, there's now an easy one-stop spot to find the answer - our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

Don't want to read through the 600+ posts? Use the Search FAQ option, and you can choose your key search terms to locate the topic and answer you're looking for!

Common pre-sales questions about our products, ordering, and delivery:
Pre-Sales

Technical support & troubleshooting by product:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Band-in-a-Box® for Mac
RealBand® for Windows
PowerTracks Pro® Audio for Windows
Other Products

There's even a Request New FAQs forum, if you didn't see your question answered anywhere!

Over 190 Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Today's the day we say "Happy Birthday" to Adolphe Sax, the creator of the Saxophone!
(Adolphe was born November 6, 1814 - 32 years later he patended his saxophone creation!)

We have more than 190 Saxophone RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box with the following RealTracks Sets - review the complete list here.

Check our our Saxophonist programs for Windows:
The Jazz Saxophonist
The Rock Saxophonist

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box®!

Here's some of the amazing feedback we've received lately, from program users just like you!

Arthritic fingers means I find it very difficult to play anything. This program is amazing - and it does use real musicians!
-Bob E.

The power of this program is just unbelievable! It's been a best kept secret for a couple of decades now. A song writer's dream!
-Mike D

This band can practice any time of day ...LOL
-William G

Band-in-a-Box works so simple you could teach a child to do it within minutes - the RealTracks are amazing. Doing an album as we speak. I challenge you to give it a try. I am 60 years old and even though I've played 50 years, I am no engineer. But as a song writer I needed some effective tools to create quality production of my work. This is IT! It's as easy as typing and filling in the blanks. The instructional videos allow you to change settings while watching the pro. I myself purchased every "RealTrack" I could get... Take it from me, don't let this overwhelm you. It is absolutely a writer and solo artist dream!
-John S

Best part of Band-in-a-Box is that it saves me having to program drums, the Real Drummer part of the software is brilliant and natural sounding. I then layer real instruments with guys from my band. As a songwriter, Band-in-a-Box has saved me so much time it's ridiculous.
-Andy B

Incredible Software. Great for ignorance and experts and for anyone who wants to deal with music. If you do not have a hobby and want to have one "Band-in-a-Box" is the best choice. Simple, but if you want to be an expert on it, you need to make an effort to master it perfectly for perfect use. The only disadvantage is if you do not want to become a musician, and use it, you will become a perfect musician. Therefore, be cautious. It's not a toy. ;)
-Ilija B.

Been a BIAB man since '92, such a comprehensive source for music making! So much more to offer than "loops", it allows actual music composition to be realized. Evolve from harmonic ignorance and find out what REAL music is made of!
-Don D.

A must for any musician who wants to improve on his own, or to share his musical ideas in a professional high quality rendition.. You just play with the best musicians and that's great ♪ :)
-Jean-Marie D.

I use Band in a Box all the time. I couldn't be more pleased. It's easy to use and it sounds super-big time!
-Max R.

An excellent tool for generating backing tracks. Saves me hours of MIDI programming. Combines the best of MIDI and live audio samples.
-Steve A.

Video Help - My Band-in-a-Box® Won't Open!

Our NEW I want a video that shows me how to .... forum is off to a GREAT start! We've answered the common question/issue of "My program won't open!" with the following video: How To: Return to Factory Settings outside Band-in-a-Box (Win).

Want to see a video about a particular issue your having with the program? Post your request here, we're happy to help!!

Forum Stats
28178 Members
59 Forums
54845 Topics
454516 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
exnavyabfc, Pimanpepper, Lasseens, LenH, Pokey53

28177 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 194
Rustyspoon# 131