Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#200924 04/16/13 04:44 PM
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
This is my absolute first BIAB tune. I'm a 'seasoned' musician but am an utter BIAB newbie. I'm really interested to know what you would have done different with BIAB?

All the tracks are 100% BIAB except the piano and vocals. I rendered the tracks separately from BIAB and mixed (and recorded the piano and vocals) in cakewalk sonar.

I'm pretty good about repaying critiques. I enjoy listening critically to stuff as it seems to help me as well as you. So if you're not interested in constructive feedback, please let me know!
Thanks!

Honk if You Love Jesus (at soundclick)

Lyrics by Nathan A. Baker
Vocals, Piano, Arranged and Produced by Ian Ferrin

Verse 1
Judi was a tree hugger
She had brown eyes and auburn hair
Drove a vintage Volkswagen camper
It was slow but it got her there
Her van covered in bumper stickers
Psychedelic art and sayings grand
She and a guitar picker
Set off to see the land

Chorus
“Kindness makes a difference”
“Think before you speak”
“Honk if you love Jesus”
“Let’s clean up Copper Creek”

Verse 2
A few hundred miles a day
Between strip malls parking lots
Traveling on what they made
Busking in the market spots
They ate at road side diners
Tasted their way west
Guitar pickers like cheddar
Judi liked Gouda best

Repeat Chorus

Bridge
They worked away their summer
Hauled old tires, pop cans and trash
If love was a raging fire
Judi’s heart would have been ash
For twenty years she saved the forest
And became that guitar picker’s wife
Twenty years of conquest
Until a sudden totally unexpected and
random and crazy sicknesss...
took her life

Repeat Chorus

“Honk if you love Jesus”
“Let’s clean up Copper Creek”

Copyright 2013 Baker and Ferrin

User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
HONK, HONK, Superb inaugural BIAB tune. Look forward to hearing more!

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Ian,

I agree with Robert. what a superb inaugral tune. The arrangement and mix have a very professional sound.

I'm perfectly comfortable with giving (and receiving) constructive feedback and, if I could offer anything of value in this instance, I'd do it without hesitation. Within the scope of my hearing, there's nothing that I'd change musically at all. You've got it right as far as I'm concerned!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Ian
welcome to the Showcase. I'm a bit of a Newbie here too - scarey isn't it.
I just love the total variety of music that our Showcase presents. You don't have to like it all but you can't fail to be impressed with what folks can do with BIAB / RT.
Excellent song although I was a bit saddened by the last two lines of the bridge - kinda took the "happiness" out of it and left me feeling a bit down after being quite UP there with the words and the thoughts. Just my opinion.
The BIAB choice of instruments is great and that Piano, standing forward of the others, is just SO right. (Dunno why, it reminded me juts a tiny bit of Joshua Kadison's style with "Jessie". But this is top class in in its own right.)
Some of us post up the Instruments chosen for the BIAB mix - see my post below or many others. That way WE can learn how certain tracks go together.
Looking forward to more.
cheers
Ian (another one!)

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ian,

Welcome to the forum!

A truly enjoyable song. An interesting, intelligent lyric - and a wonderful story. Loved how the chorus was simply "bumper stickers" - that was a great idea and worked surprisingly well. Tell Nathan "great job".

The production is top-notch. The muted electric against your piano works really well. A very full sound without being over-done. Everything sits right where it should be. And your vocal is cool - a great sound.

One thing (since you asked...). Just a touch of electric lead would be nice. In between chorus and verse. Perhaps behind the chorus as well. To "balance" that very nice piano. To take the focus off the piano for just a moment - and then the piano would "grab you" again. Maybe one of the PopPromise leads or one of Brent's - not overdone - a spinkle here and there. (After all, Judi took up with a guitar picker).

Great stuff. Truly.. looking forward to much more!

floyd

User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Robert, Noel, Ian and Floyd,

Thanks very much guys for the props! Very much appreciated.

Ian - All the instruments are the default instruments in the "praise shining" real set (I think that's what it was called) I didn't change anything. I actually rendered out a fiddle track and a resonator guitar track, but didn't use them. IMO this tune is pretty solidly in the pop-country category even though I didn't use any overtly country sounds. I was thinking I'd "countrify" it, but I liked it with the more pop oriented sounds so I just left it as is. If this tune catches on at all, I might do a more countrified remix.

Floyd - I like that idea of a lead guitar. I don't know if you noticed but the piano plays the same melody in the intro, interlude and ending. If I were to put a lead guitar in there, it would have to play that same melody. How difficult is that to accomplish in BIAB? Can you make one of the 'real' BIAB players track a midi melody or would I have to use a midi track?

Thanks for the helpful feedback!

Peace,

Ian

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey Ian,

Welcome to the forum,
I liked this. Good vocals and production. For some reason I hear this song as a track for a musical.
I agree with Floyd about the guitar part.
In my opinion an excellent first BIAB tune!

Check out my most recent song "Walk In The Light". It's a little ways down on the list.

Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Ian,

very clever lyrics.
And good piano and arrangement.

Guenter

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Ian,

Clever and well done. I agree with Floyd, impressive use of the bumper stickers. Not much to add to the other comments. Nice song. Enjoyed it.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi,
I think this is one great song. The vocal timing is good - it really emphasises the meaning.

The mix is good.

If I had one constructive criticism I would change the title! Since the line “Let’s clean up Copper Creek” is the final line of the chorus, I'd use that. You make the point on the site that the song is a love of life, not a religious tune, and “Let’s clean up Copper Creek” I think invites a listener in more.

I haven't posted that much original stuff yet but I more than welcome constructive criticism.

Best wishes

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ian,

I certainly understand your intent - going for a signature lick with the opening melody. Always a great idea. In this case, you need to "change something" for that to work. Don't get me wrong... the playing is stellar... but...

I missed "the lick" (melody) when I listened (entirely) - and I listened several times because I enjoyed the song so much. So "the lick" lacked the punch it needed to make it recognizable (that "The Way It Is" lick/punch - I assume is what you are after).

So... (imo) you need to somehow "add some punch" to that "lick" or find something different - like an electric lead (which would be my choice - for the reasons stated before). Again... the piano is GREAT - I just feel that it would be nice to have attention drawn away from it for a moment to truly enjoy it when it returns...

You cannot make the RealTracks play something specific (you can use midi for that, with an outside sound source - I'm not a "midi-guy"). You have to work "the other direction". Generate tracks until you hit on a lick that would work as a signature and use that (cut n paste) wherever you need it. (Apparently, from feedback, I need to go find one of my own for my current post...)

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
It's been said....but I really like the chorus made up of the stickers, the mix, the overall production and the vocal. I came from the 60's VW era and your imagery is great.

Regarding how to make a RealTrack work with the melody my approach is to continue to regenerate tracks until I get one that is melodic "enough" to complement the melody lick/vocal or at the least not distract from it. Some times I will create another SGU file with just the measures for which I'm interested in and regenerate the RealTrack many times and then transfer them to my DAW where I'll paste up the licks that I like in my primary track. Often if I hit on a good signature lick I'll use it several times in the song. It's really impressive as to how many variations can be generated from one RealTrack.

Welcome and thanks for posting.

User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Greg, Guenter and Steve - Thanks very much and thanks for checking out the tune!

Phil - I originally thought the same thing as you about the title, but it's grown on me. The 'hook' melody is, at least, intended to be "kindness makes a difference" which is then pretty much repeated with "honk if you love Jesus". "Honk if you love Jesus" is by far the most 'real' and classic of the bumper sticker slogans. Also it has the hook melody. I get what you're saying, the only even slightly religious bit in the song is that one line, but in a way it kind of gives it an edge. IMO the only other real alternative is "Kindness makes a difference" and that just doesn't have much of a ring to it IMO. Plus - Nathan would have to be on board with it and I have a feeling he likes the Jesus line.

Floyd and Mootsman - Thanks for the good info on using realtracks for a melody part. You got me thinking. Floyd - I purposefully didn't mix the piano out front. The melody I'm playing is basically the 'kindness makes a difference' melody. It's OK w/ me if it's kinda subliminal and not all that noticeable. IE 'under the top'...

I still get what you're saying. I'm thinking about it...

Thanks guys!

Ian

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the Users Showcase Ian. Nice first post. I also liked the bumper sticker chorus. Enjoyed your vocal too.

Quote:

I was a bit saddened by the last two lines of the bridge - kinda took the "happiness" out of it and left me feeling a bit down after being quite UP there with the words and the thoughts

I had the ssme reaction as the other Ian. Not saying that's good or bad just how it made me feel. I'm assuming you wrote it with that emotional effect in mind.

You can use the generate riffs feature also to find musical phrases.

User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks Josie,

This is Nathan's lyric. I like it though. He actually had her dying of cancer. He initially said the 'C' word which I wasn't to excited about....

I sorta feel the same as you, but I dunno any kind of story arc that'd work better?

Peace,

Ian

User Showcase
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
Welcome Ian,
You could not have picked a better product, or family, to build your writing repetoire with.

On that thought, it was a lot of fun working with BIAB isn't it? You get to pull out instrumentalists that may not be in your reach and create a sound that is beyond what a single songwriter can build.

For me, every song is a new song. There are so many genres and styles to this product that I want every song to reflect something different than the last. Hence, it is a new experience every time. I want to encourage you to do the same. Explore the many avenues that come with BIAB. It will get you to think (and write) outside of the box. Then, a year from now, you can look back on all the recordings that led up to where you are and be amazed as to how much you learned.

The folks here on the board will give you all the feedback to tweak things as you go. It will make you better! In the past few years I have seen a lot of people here improve tremodously. After being away for a while, I am amazed as I listen to some of the folks out there and the developments that have been made.

For the song, I would pull back the voice & keys to balance with the rest of the band. How I do it is, I turn the master track down to the lowest possible volume. And I listen for what jumps out and what is lost. I modify to taste. Then, I master it in a DAW that helps enhance overall sound and it is ready to go!

Hope that helps.

Cheers!
RickeG

P.S. HONK!! HONK!!! HONK!!!

Last edited by RickeG; 04/21/13 08:19 PM.
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks Ricke,

I really appreciate the critical feedback. I ALWAYS want to know what people are hearing.

I basically agree w/ you about the vocal level. What I did was after I'd mixed the tune, I used ozone and compared sound (a-b-c) in my 3 sets of speakers. I got something that sounded decent in all three speakers but ozone boosted the mids where my voice lies and essentially made my voice louder.

On the other hand I think of this as a country tune and I'm not sure my mix has a louder voc than many country mixes? To my ears, country has considerably louder vocal mixes than some other genres?

Nevertheless, I'll pay close attention to the vocal level if I remix.

Thanks!

Ian

User Showcase
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
I never really caught that before about country music. Interesing. Next time I listen to a country genre I will keep my ear out. It almost makes sense as historically the emphasis was on the lyrics hence the vocalist. Normally, when I think of country the songs that come to my mind are from bands like Diamond Rio, Restless Heart, Roy Clark, Alabama, & some Brooks and Dunn. Yeah, I am out of touch! I admit it!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,560
Posts734,404
Members38,491
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
VIPBET사설토토, GlebeGreg, michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE
38,491 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 184