Print Thread
Go To
#201247 04/20/13 11:20 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Is there a way to stop BIAB sending a forced sample rate change to my Audio interface (i/f) ?

I need to hold the i/f sample rate at 48khz (using with a keyboard that is fixed at 48 - and if the i/f goes to 44.1, I get fuzzy sound)

I notice that each time a song with real tracks (audio) gets played it automatically resets the audio i/f to 44, so can this be blocked or stopped somehow? I know BIAB is locked to 44, but can I stop it controlling my i/f?

Thanks

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Band in a Box is locked to only 44.1KHz sample rate.

I don't understand what you are trying to say about having a keyboard that is locked to 48KHz. Doesn't make sense that this should bother BB at all.

If you give the make and model of keyboard, plus how you are connecting that keyboard to your computer, we can likely get to the bottom of this problem.

This sounds like a Setting in your Audio Interface is not set properly to use both BB and this keyboard. For example, use of ASIO sound drivers and a Setting in the Spound Device's Control Panel to lock at 48KHz is not the way to go with BB. Instead, a setting that allows host programs to control the rate should be used, or MME drivers.

And here again we need more information - Make and Model of the Sound Device would allow for posters to give you more specified information on how to get it all up and running properly.

--Mac

joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Mac...

Okay - 1, as you would know, if audio sample rates between two devices are mismatched you get all sorts of artefacts and digital noise. I am using the spdif out from my keyboard to the Presonus Firestudio M. The keyboard has a FIXED sample rate over spdif of 48, ergo the PFM also needs to be at 48.

2. I am using BIAB for the playback of songs only, NO recording...and in essence a wav/wma file at 44 will still play fine if a device is set to 48, or even 96. I can understand if I was recording audio but I am only playing back.

3. All audio interfaces can ONLY operate at one sample rate at a time - they cannot accept multiple sample rates concurrently as you would know, so both items (BIAB and the Keybaord need to be both at 48)

I did think of a work around last night though, as it is only playback I might be able to get by with using MME (as PG music seem to still be in the dark ages with audio - no WDM and no WASAPI) and then use the laptop headphone out port, but this is a "sticky" solution at best.

As I see it there is no alternative, at this stage, other than to look at an alternative to BIAB.

I did try Realband as it will allow both devices to run at 48, BUT it is horrendously slow at loading realtracks. Certainly not acceptable for using live....

I cannot use the normal analogue L/R out of the keyboard (Kurzweil PC3) as they are quite "noisy" at stage levels, and I think you will understand what I mean by that . The sPdif gives me a really nice solid and noise free output....

Cheers
Dennis

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Lot of assumptions going on there, Dennis.

I use the PC3's analog outputs to stage amps quite a bit and mine is not noisy.

If yours is, something is either amiss in your Gain Staging, Amplifier Input or the likes. How much noise do you get on them? There might be something in need of repair, or it might be one of the already mentioned things.

There is no real need to use the Spudiff output in live or even in recording. Sure it would be nice, but if the chosen software can't support it, I'd go with the analog outputs of the keyboard.

--Mac

joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I notice the noise when the i/f is ramped a bit...if I go from the PC3 LE outs straight to a powered FOH, it is not as noticeable I must admit.

I have sorted it in any case Mac, as I have gone a tweaked a few levels here and there to get the best s/n I can get, and it is quite acceptable.

One thing I did find out was using balanced cables with the Kurz is an absolute MUST!!

I suspect most of the noise was coming from the use of unbalanced cables, even though only about 3 feet long and not going anywhere near power cables.

So 44 is now not that big a deal, but it still would be nice to get 48. It would save the Presonus FSM resettting all the time when swapping from Sonar to BIAB

Thanks for you help m8

Dennis

PS: Do you happen to use the Soundtower editor? I am having lots of issues with it "dropping" the USB Midi after a few edits...I am speaking with ST now but all they seem to want to do is find something else to blame I am running the latest Kurz OS, and W7 is 100% UTD!! I even have USB selective suspend set to off as well...

Sonar otoh, is rock solid with using the USB midi connection with the PC3...

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

One thing I did find out was using balanced cables with the Kurz is an absolute MUST!!

I suspect most of the noise was coming from the use of unbalanced cables, even though only about 3 feet long and not going anywhere near power cables.

PS: Do you happen to use the Soundtower editor? I am having lots of issues with it "dropping" the USB Midi after a few edits...I am speaking with ST now but all they seem to want to do is find something else to blame I am running the latest Kurz OS, and W7 is 100% UTD!! I even have USB selective suspend set to off as well...

I have the full PC3 not the LE version and I've never had any noise at all but I did have some noise with my new Behringer B208D's that I use for stereo on stage monitoring. I switched to balanced cables and that went away. My main speaker is the EV ELX112P and while I never heard any noise, switching to a 10' balanced cable seemed to give me a bit more power. Not much but I noticed it.

I have the ST editor and it seems to work fine but I'm hardly an expert with it. Some of the pro's over at Sonikmatter say that it's buggy when using it for some deep editing but other than that it works fine. You might want to go over there and do a search before the site goes down forever at the end of the month. A lot of the regulars have already started posting at Keyboard Corner with Kurzweil questions so that may be a good option going forward along with Kurz's Facebook page.

Anyway to your main question I see no need for using spdif.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Bob I am already a member at Music Player and Sonikmatter. Most of the complaints are about editing bugs, not so many re the USB midi issue. It may even turn out to be something making a call on the same resource as the one being used by the USB midi yet..I am still to fully investigate...just making some queries JUST in case others with a PC3 have experienced it.

Re your last sentence, I came to the same conclusion after some tweaking here and there

Dennis

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
**ALL of the Realtrack "raw" files are 44.1, regardless of whether or not they are .wav or .wma format.**

The reason it takes so much longer for you to load Realtracks in RB at 48KHz is that RealBand is most likely having to CONVERT each Realtrack file to 48 from 44.1 on each loading attempt.

Perhaps PG will come up with a way to work it with other bitrates and bitdepths that does not require that conversion, or works faster, but unless and until that ever happens, it is what it is. They're always surprising me, though, with out-of-the-box thinking and design to solve other problems, maybe this will be one of them some day, don't know.

But FWIW - your complaint might be better heard if posted as a Wishlist Item on the Wishlist Forum.

--Mac

joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Mac it is more of an observation than a complaint really...As you say if PG do adopt 48 they do, if they don't...well

I have found a way to get it to sit nicely with the PC LE so back to setting up all my songs again - half way through B at the moment

Dennis

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,448
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195