Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Lately I've been posting some pretty arcane stuff: PREDATORS, with Boehm, is not exactly what you want in your ear after a stressful day on the job. MOODY'S MOOD FOR LOVE is real jazz esoterica - putting lyrics to horn solos isn't done any more and it can sound pretty bizarre even to experienced Forum members. Some of them have been thoughtful - and brave - enough to tell it like it is, of course in a civil way. Far from being offended, I'm grateful for such guidance. And I'll second the observation that one of the commentators made about the Forum being such a civil place.

Keeping this feedback in mind, let me first introduce the crew. I really hope you'll visit these links even for just a few seconds to hear how these guys sound on their own.

Keyboards: Jeff Lorber http://www.lorber.com/
Guitar: Dwight Sills http://www.dwightsills.com/live/
Bass: Vernon Barbary http://www.vbass.com/
Drums: Franklin (Third) Richardson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF4nrnQEuwk

Aleck Rand wrote the horn and string arrangements, as well as replacement lyrics, plays rhythm guitar and Rhodes piano (intro only), and does the vocals. Drop a comment if you can identify the original source. And all comments are welcome, especially the truthful ones.

Listen to: FLEET LIFE https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/fleet-life

Lyric:

Verse (Intro)

I'm still down here on earth, hangin' round for what it's worth
It's not a blessing, not a curse, but that music in the night
Once meant everything's alright, now it's all that's left for me ...

Chorus

I've lived a fleet life, because time goes by so fast
Fleet life, I've go no snapshots of the past
Fleet life, you're stuck in hyper-mode
Fleet life, there [are] no forks in the road

I've got no time to waste, I've had myself a taste
Of nectar of this world, served from a golden bowl
I've never had much school, I'm still nobody's fool
You'll find out when you're old, when your sense of taste's grown cold

(Interlude)

Fleet life, there's one thing that I've learned
Fleet life, no escape from getting burned
Fleet life, no matter how you thrive
Fleet life, no one makes it out alive

I don't let it get me down, I take a ride downtown
[I} watch all the lonely souls, wear their collective frown
I get it when I can, stickin' [a]round's not in the plan
You don't collect much dust, living in a cutthroat town

(Interlude)

Fleet life, you might luck out and be saved
Fleet life, you could escape unscathed
Fleet life, find it and be brave
Fleet life "slow" [is] another word for "slave"

Floor it and get low, don't look back, just go!
Don't slow down and think twice, just take my advice
It's a tunnel, it's pitch black
A tunnel with no track, you'd better not look back
Someone's gaining on you, Jack

(Interlude)

Fleet life, it's my nature to go fast
Fleet life, it's all present and no past
Fleet life, I've satisfied the need
Fleet life, for that extra dose of speed

(Interlude and fadeout: Lorber, Sills, Barbary, Richardson)

Link to the famous original sung by Randy Crawford from the soundtrack of the movie "Jackie Brown" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH0T0mgE2c8

Last edited by aleck rand; 04/23/13 06:22 PM.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Sounds good to me! There is no need to credit the realtrack players -- they really aren't actually playing on your song. Those are samples manipulated (in a really good way) by PG Music. I did the same thing at first (every one does), because you just can't believe the sounds coming out!!!

Take a bow! very cool tune.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
It is SO nice to see a drummer dancing on the kick like that with a single pedal.....

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Some nice jazz. Like Kevin said, cool tune!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Aleck,

I really enjoyed listening to this it's exactly the kind of jazz that really really appeals to me. I have to hand it to you, you've assembled a top notch arrangement. Very classy! I also found myself captivated by the lyrics. You should be proud of this one.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
aleck,

Awesome! Super Cool! Loved everything about this. The opening works really well. The tracks sits so nicely on the ear. Terrific mix. Your vocals sound like one more instrument set perfectly in the mix - what a jazz vocal should be...

The low harmony might be my favorite part! Keep that dude handy!

The lyrics are EXCEPTIONAL! (you should post them here - I think they would be a very interesting read).

The best way "to keep jazz alive" is to make it "accessible". You have done that admirably!!!

Bravo.

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Aleck,

your cool voice alone makes this version unique.
I like the arrangement.
It was a good idea to post links to the musicians. I followed
them all. It was great fun to listen to your song and visualize
the performers.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I guess no one has identified the tune yet? That's surprising, as it was very popular in the late 70s. "Street Life" by Joe Sample.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Matt,

I think everybody has identified the tune.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, you're probably right - I went back and saw the link at the end of the lyrics. Was that there before?

Anyway, I was responding to the OP when he said, "Drop a comment if you can identify the original source.".

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Whoa! Thank you, Kevin, jcspro40, Steve, Noel, Floyd, Guenter. I think Floyd has it nailed with his comment, 'The best way "to keep jazz alive" is to make it "accessible".' Surely I must have known this at some point, but at my age I may have to write it on a sticky note pasted to my forehead to help it sink in.

As requested, I've edited the original post to include the lyrics, as well as a link to the famous original, which I think Guenter has correctly observed would be well known to members.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,553
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199