Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#201749 - 04/27/13 09:12 AM [Off-Topic] Finding none jazz standard lead sheets for entry into BIAB
bowlesj Offline
Journeyman

Hi,

If I wanted to find the lead sheet to a (not so standard) jazz tune such as "Sweet Honey Bee" written by Duke Pearson for the purpose of entering it into BIAB for practicing, where is a good place to get this music at a reasonable price.

Thanks,
John

#201750 - 04/27/13 12:50 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Finding none jazz standard lead sheets for entry into BIAB [Re: bowlesj]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

I don't know. I looked for it in each fakebook index I have, and the tune does not appear. This song goes back to the late 60s. I remember it was fairly simple; it shouldn't be hard to transcribe.
BIAB 2019 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#201751 - 04/27/13 01:12 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Finding none jazz standard lead sheets for entry into BIAB [Re: Matt Finley]
bowlesj Offline
Journeyman

Hi Matt,

Yeah, I did several Google images searches with various search strings hoping I could see the sheet but the "Sweet Honey Bee" part of the search strings sure brings in a lot of unwanted extra images and I could not find that sheet. I was thinking there may be a publisher who supplies sheet music for download at a small fee who might have it (or any others I can not find that I would like to play). I could capture the melody by ear of course but I am not sure if I could get the chords (my ear is not that good). It is also a slow process doing that so I prefer a sheet. So I thought this forum may be the best place to ask about such publishers. I guess I could try some google searches such as "Sheet music suppliers" or whatever.

I checked the wiki on Duke but he passed away in 1980.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Pearson

I am betting only his former friends have it since I tried 2 online publishers and there is nothing in their database with the name "Sweet Honey bee".

Thanks,
John

Edited by bowlesj (04/27/13 01:28 PM)

#201752 - 04/27/13 01:25 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Finding none jazz standard lead sheets for entry into BIAB [Re: bowlesj]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

I already looked at some of the more common online sheet music publishing companies, and did not find this song.
BIAB 2019 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#201753 - 04/27/13 01:29 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Finding none jazz standard lead sheets for entry into BIAB [Re: Matt Finley]
bowlesj Offline
Journeyman

I checked the wiki on Duke but he passed away in 1980.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Pearson

I am betting only his former friends have it since I also just tried 2 online publishers and there is nothing in their database with the name "Sweet Honey bee".

Nice song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2DwQ4IAWRo

Edited by bowlesj (04/27/13 01:31 PM)

#201754 - 04/27/13 01:33 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Finding none jazz standard lead sheets for entry into BIAB [Re: bowlesj]
bowlesj Offline
Journeyman

I guess the only options is to transcribe the notes and make an attempt at similar sounding chords.

#201755 - 04/27/13 01:46 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Finding none jazz standard lead sheets for entry into BIAB [Re: bowlesj]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Yes, I think so.

I was looking at the composer's own track, from 1966: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaycK3XFnNo

Lee Morgan's pretty closely follows this.

#201756 - 04/27/13 01:50 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Finding none jazz standard lead sheets for entry into BIAB [Re: bowlesj]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

I have looked on line and all through my books and I can’t find it either.

I suggest that you get the album and burn the song to either a wav or MP3 file then have BiaB get the chords for you using the Audio Chord Wizard.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#201757 - 04/27/13 02:50 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Finding none jazz standard lead sheets for entry into BIAB [Re: MarioD]
bowlesj Offline
Journeyman

Quote:

I suggest that you get the album and burn the song to either a wav or MP3 file then have BiaB get the chords for you using the Audio Chord Wizard.

Thanks MarioD. I have not learned BIAB that well yet and did not realize it had this utility. It sounds like it would be a lot better than my doing it. - LOL. Great stuff.
John

#201758 - 04/27/13 02:58 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Finding none jazz standard lead sheets for entry into BIAB [Re: bowlesj]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

It will get you started, certainly. I would not expect the ACW to nail all of Duke's chords, though.

#201759 - 04/27/13 03:05 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Finding none jazz standard lead sheets for entry into BIAB [Re: Matt Finley]
bowlesj Offline
Journeyman

These people did a pretty good job of duplicating it (or finding the music).
Nice performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vzTkRnkwv4

#201760 - 04/28/13 09:55 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Finding none jazz standard lead sheets for entry into BIAB [Re: bowlesj]
bowlesj Offline
Journeyman

No luck on finding "Sweet Honey Bee" but here are some interesting ideas for finding sheet music.

It occurred to me that since there is a site called www.bookfinder.com (which is excellent by the way) there may be a site for finding sheet music so I did a google search "sheet music finder".

This one shows sites to search both free and paid. It lists the sites and you just click since your search string is already there. The free part is not as good.
http://www.sheetfinder.com

This is an online sheet music site that actually shows a music sample to verify against.
http://www.onlinesheetmusic.com

I found another YouTube link of a group playing "Sweet Honey Bee".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EFIwUlltRQ
Down a bit you will see that someone signed in to the link to ask where they found the sheet music for "Sweet Honey Bee" since he could not find it. They replied that they just learned it buy ear. So I guess this is one way to search.

Edited by bowlesj (04/28/13 09:59 AM)

#201761 - 04/28/13 11:35 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Finding none jazz standard lead sheets for entry into BIAB [Re: bowlesj]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

John, I just downloaded an MP3 version of the song. I am tied up this afternoon however hopefully I can get the chords for you either late this evening or tomorrow.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#201762 - 04/28/13 02:58 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Finding none jazz standard lead sheets for entry into BIAB [Re: MarioD]
bowlesj Offline
Journeyman

Thanks MarioD, I will check this thread either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Maybe selling rare sheets is a good business for the BIAB people.

John

#201763 - 04/28/13 03:05 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Finding none jazz standard lead sheets for entry into BIAB [Re: bowlesj]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Yes, I get paid to do transcriptions, but there isn't a large market for it, just the occasional job.

#201764 - 04/28/13 04:56 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Finding none jazz standard lead sheets for entry into BIAB [Re: Matt Finley]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Matt you have a PM.

#201765 - 04/28/13 04:56 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Finding none jazz standard lead sheets for entry into BIAB [Re: bowlesj]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

John you have a PM.

#201766 - 04/28/13 06:35 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Finding none jazz standard lead sheets for entry into BIAB [Re: MarioD]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Mario, that's very generous of you to offer to help John. Please, go right ahead; I'm too busy now with another project anyway. I'll be happy to check over the chart afterward, though.

#201767 - 04/28/13 07:48 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Finding none jazz standard lead sheets for entry into BIAB [Re: Matt Finley]
bowlesj Offline
Journeyman

Gee thanks guys. I have scheduled learning the Bossa tune "Wave" for this week in prep for some Jamming I have been planning with friends but I hopefully can get to lifting the Melody to "Sweet Honey Bee" in the next few weekends. Doing SE Income Tax filing, a surgery I am having in June most likley and the Jamming are on my list so hopefully I can squeeze it in.

#201768 - 04/28/13 08:53 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Finding none jazz standard lead sheets for entry into BIAB [Re: bowlesj]
Loc: Sterling, Va
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sterling, Va
Might as well give the chords to everyone for "Sweet Honey Bee".

|F-7///|Ab7///|Db7/C7/|Bb7///|C7///|C7///|F-7/BbF-7|F-7/BbF-7|
Repeat 1st eight bars
Bridge:
F7///|F7///|Bb-///|Bb-///|Eb7///|Eb7///|Ab7///|C7///|
Repeat 1st eight bars

You should be able to learn the melody just by a few listens. It's a catchy tune. I'll probably start doing on the gig myself. Later, Ray

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28446 Members
58 Forums
55264 Topics
460331 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
dewar, claytonkyra, Warren G, Raymond Carrasco, asdlz

28445 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 360
Pipeline 329