Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#195717 - 04/15/13 11:13 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Gig playback options [Re: Notes Norton]
greg64 Offline
Enthusiast

I use a package called OnSong with my iPad2 which can also put out lyrics to the screen if you want; shows the chords and lyrics of course, and allows you to create "sets". You can also auto-pull back chords and lyrics from the web if you need a particular song. iTunes is useless.

This package was created mainly for people playing in churches I think, and so created specifically for playing your backing tracks.

It also always cues at 0 and and you have the option to stop and when it starts it starts automatically from 0 which is good.

Loads of other stuff.

The only thing I wish it included was EQ for individual songs, which would really polish it off, I've written to them about that.

Here is a link http://www.onsongapp.com/perform/

It also can be used with a foot pedal for starting and stopping songs which seems cool.

Cheers
Greg

Edited by greg64 (04/15/13 11:16 AM)

#195718 - 04/24/13 04:11 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Gig playback options [Re: pooch]
Douglas Kvandal Offline

I've been using an iPad with the ForScore app for a couple of years now.
ForScore can display a fake book page with the audio file already attached. Two birds, one stone.

#195719 - 04/26/13 01:16 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Gig playback options [Re: Douglas Kvandal]
Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
iPads are very cool and all that but Pooh is talking about cheapest. $500-600 is not cheap. I keep looking at them, lots of friends have them and I think they are cool and pretty useful but every time I think about it I find something else more useful to me for that kind of money. $200 or so I would probably get one but not six.

Bob

#195720 - 04/28/13 08:44 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Gig playback options [Re: jazzmammal]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Just to give some perspective I'll describe my system that is on the other end of extreme.For me I not only want to sound like a band I want to feel like a band.
I use a laptop with RB. My tracks are then setup to go to an ESI Gigaport HD+ that is a USB 8 channel Playback interface. These 8 channels then go into a 16 channel Hardware mixer. I use a TC Helicon Harmony GXT for vocals into 2 more channels and finally play bass through a Tech 21 VT Bass pre into another channel.The output of the mixer then goes to a 31 band mono EQ. The output of the EQ to a BBE Sonic Maximiser.Then to an active xover. The Freq. above 100 Hz goes to a 1000 Watt Crown and out to a pair of 15"& horn tops. The freq below 100Hz goes to a 1500 watt Crown and out to a pair of 15" subs.
I have pre built everything so that setup is about 20 minutes.
I also have a pair of 10" subs and 10" + horn tops that I can use instead of the big speakers for smaller gigs. All else stays the same.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.Wintertexaninfo.com/Bands/JohnnyD.php

#195721 - 04/29/13 06:44 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Gig playback options [Re: silvertones]
Loc: Florida
90 dB Offline
Veteran

John,

I believe that the TC Helicon Harmony GXT is designed to work from a guitar input. Does it work well with your bass signal for harmonies, or do you set the key manually?

Regards,

Bob

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#195722 - 04/29/13 07:57 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Gig playback options [Re: 90 dB]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Quote:

John,

I believe that the TC Helicon Harmony GXT is designed to work from a guitar input. Does it work well with your bass signal for harmonies, or do you set the key manually?

Regards,

Bob

I have built a style that is just piano playing chords in root position.I then convert this midi part into audio. This track is not routed through the ESI card but to the internal card in the lappy. The head phone out is fed to the GXT guitar in. Works real well.You never hear this part as I don't feed the guitar output of the GXT to anything.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.Wintertexaninfo.com/Bands/JohnnyD.php

#195723 - 04/29/13 08:17 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Gig playback options [Re: silvertones]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Interesting. Thanks.

I'm toying with the idea of using a GXT for my wife's harmony vocals, but she plays bass. Might work better for us to take my guitar output to feed the GXT.

And here I thought I had all the gear I would ever need!

Regards,

Bob

#201928 - 05/01/13 05:03 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Gig playback options [Re: 90 dB]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
In my opinion, using a laptop opens more possibilities than other systems that do nothing but play a track.

The Laptop lets you play from a sequencing program. Sequencing programs (Like Power Tracks, Real Band, Sonar etc) usually have the ability to work with both audio and midi, and also offer more routing possibilities. Routing options can let you do things like send the bass track to a bass amp, guitar track to a guitar amp etc

The MIDI can be used to control devices such as lights, volume, effects, patch changes etc all without having to stomp on pedals or distract you in any way.

Midi driven devices also include vocal processors, which can let one performer sound like many by providing harmonies in real-time.

A sequencer also lets you keep your songs divided into separate tracks... so if a friend wants to sit in for a few songs or the whole gig, you can must the instrument he plays. Or, if you use the tracks to flesh out the sound of a whole band, and the keyboard guy gets sick or quits before a gig, you can turn that track back on and never miss a beat.

And as Notes Norton said, it gives you enhanced ability to change songs on the fly

With a laptop You can play from chord charts and keep the lyrics on screen

and many sequencers include a "juke box" feature that lets you set up play lists, and then it plays the songs in order. There are also USB foot pedals available for not much money that let you control the flow of the songs hands-free

And these days laptops are often less expensive than "pads&pods"... its a case of supply and demand. Now is a very good time to buy a laptop... you can get a lot of functionality for not much money

Anyway, these are the reasons why I opt to use a laptop.

But, as stated earlier.. if I only wanted to play a backing track, I'd definitely use an MP3 player of some kind.

#201929 - 05/01/13 05:05 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Gig playback options [Re: pooch]
Loc: Ohio-USA
jcspro40 Offline
Expert

Loc: Ohio-USA
Quote:
I am looking for the simplest, least expensive product to play back MP3s - with a decent sized screen that I can actually read/scroll the song titles and obviously with decent quality... I am NOT interested in a phone... thanks.

Have Fun!
Intel Core2Quad 3.2Ghz, 8gb memory, 1gb nVidia dual monitor card, 1tb OS/2x 3tb Internal HDD, 12tb External HDD, dual LG 27" Monitors, E-Mu 1820 Sound Card, Win Vista/Win7 x64 Ultimate, BiaB/RB 2018, Reaper 4.75, Mixbus 32C, Focusrite Liquid Mix 32, ETC

#203444 - 05/16/13 06:00 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Gig playback options [Re: Pat Marr]
Loc: CA
Shastastan Offline
Expert

Pat, Notes and others make some excellent points for using a laptop. In fact in an earlier post,. I also extolled the laptop/netbook virtues. However, recently I've had problems with it. Initially, I thought it was the mp3 software player that I was using so I switched to Windows media player. It does the same thing with wmp also--sort of like some buffering process like when you send something to the printer.

The problem is this.....When I push play for the 1st song, it doesn't play and the little circle just keeps spinning. This only happens with the first song. I use playlists for the types of gigs we do. So far, the only way I've found to combat this is to get everything setup and then put the netbook to sleep. I wake it up when we get to the gig. I've had this happen twice and the last time was with an audience of a couple hundred people. Well, that's pretty embarrassing. I'm going to check and see if the same thing happens if I don't load up a player pgm and just double click on a tune in a folder instead. In the mean time, I've ordered a little Phillips mp3 player to use as a backup. There's really no time to futz with this kind of stuff in the middle of a church service. The sound quality is fine. I only use single play. My ears are wide open to suggestions. Oh yeah, I also have a Nexus 10 that I haven't tried for gigs since I'm not certain of it's reliability.

Stan

#204801 - 05/30/13 01:32 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Gig playback options [Re: Shastastan]
Shastastan Offline
Expert

I tried to find a standalone mp3 player that would do single play, but after hours of searching, they no longer seem to be produced.

Bob (Notes) way is the best and most practical for the types of gigs we do. We don't have any gigs where we play more than 18- 20 songs so we just have those songs in a folder in the order that we want to play them. To do this, we number the songs ( 01, 02, etc..). We use Win Media Player. With the folder open we just double click on a song. I use the mouse pad to go to the next song. We talk to the audience in between songs except at church.

I took most of the programs off of our ASUS Eee netbook. The wifi is set for manual connect only. I upgraded to a usb external sound card -- Creative Soundblaster THX which comes with a volume control and remote. The sound now is pretty good compared to no sound card which is terrible. Lots of good reviews on the THX which was only $56 on Amazon.

#205930 - 06/11/13 08:17 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Gig playback options [Re: pooch]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

"...but I am looking for the simplest, least expensive product to play back MP3s - with a decent sized screen that I can actually read/scroll the song titles and obviously with decent quality... I am NOT interested in a phone... thanks."

Laptop/Windows Media Player/MiniLyrics. Works great.

Here's the link for MiniLyrics:

http://www.crintsoft.com/

Free. Can't get much cheaper than that.

Regards,

Bob

#205981 - 06/11/13 05:59 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Gig playback options [Re: pooch]
Loc: on the edge of the sandbar
mrgeeze Offline
Apprentice

Loc: on the edge of the sandbar
I'm wood shedding now getting rid of the rust. I should be ready in a month or two for some guitar trio gigs with biab holding down the bass & drums & yours truly on the guitar.

I'm thinking of a lappie with biab & usb output. I think I'll run my guitar into a pod. I kind of like the thing.

For a portable PA rig I'm thinking of something like the Fender Passport 500 Portable PA.

Comments.
audioengine usb audio out
costa del mar sunglasses
honda element

#205987 - 06/11/13 06:41 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Gig playback options [Re: pooch]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

The Fender Passport is a toy. Better a small mixer and a pair of powered speakers on sticks.

#206090 - 06/12/13 03:30 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Gig playback options [Re: 90 dB]
Loc: South Louisiana
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
The Fender Passport is a toy. Better a small mixer and a pair of powered speakers on sticks.

90 DB is right on track with his advice.

I LOVE my 15" Mackie Thumps fed via laptop headphone/RCA jacks through a small mixer.

Break A Leg!

Later,

Edited by Danny C. (06/12/13 03:32 PM)
Edit Reason: added info

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
With Band-in-a-Box®, Making Music Has Never Been Easier!

We came across this recent post, Music Making Software: Record, Edit, Create and Share Your Own Songs, which includes Band-in-a-Box® in their list of software you'll need to record and edit your own songs!

One of our favourite products, and one that doesn’t seem to come up much in discussions about music making software, is Band-In-A-Box from PG Music. This is probably the longest established and certainly one of the most popular music making software packages of all time. Already packed with features, the latest version has added functions that in our opinion make this an essential buy for musicians in any genre, for keyboard players, guitarists, singers, in fact any musician looking for an outstanding tool to make the most of their creative ideas.
-www.musicrepo.com

The Download Manager - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

The "Download Manager" within Band-in-a-Box® for Windows is a great tool to confirm or help with the installation of your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows program!

What does the Download Manager do?
Automatically installs Band-in-a-Box® content (RealTracks, RealDrums, etc.) in the background, so you don't have to sit there the whole time! It can also confirm that you've completely installed your purchase.

How do you use it?
Within the program, go to Help | Utilities | Run Download/Install Manager now. Using your activation code, the program will analyze the installation folders, and list anything that still needs to be downloaded and installed.

Learn more about the Download Manager with this tutorial, or check out the topic within the Online Manual.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows Online Manual - Chord List & Shortcuts

Visit the Chord List of our Online Manual, and you'll see all the chords that can be used within the program! The list includes a few Tricky Chords and Shortcut Chords that you may find useful too!

Tricky Chords:
C5b This is "C flat 5." It is spelled this way to avoid confusion.
C2, C5, C4, C69, C7alt, Cm7#5
You can type C-7 for Cm7 (i.e. use the minus sign) or C7-9 for C7b9.

Shortcut Chords
If you enter a lot of songs, you will appreciate these shortcut keys.
J = Maj7
H = m7b5 (H stands for Half diminished)
D = dim
S = 7sus

There's even information on how to add your own chord shortcuts - check it out!

Video Request Answered - Creating Intros, Bridges, and Endings in Band-in-a-Box®

Check out the newest support video created by Kent that explains how to create intros, bridges, and endings in Band-in-a-Box®! Click here to view...

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker Feature

If you have a folder of songs that you'd always like easy access to within Band-in-a-Box, make sure you familiarize yourself with The SongPicker feature, which access the folder that you choose and lock it to!

Access the SongPicker by clicking on the [Song] button next to the title of the song within the main screen of Band-in-a-Box. The first time the SongPicker is opened, you can choose the folder to use to create the list by selecting [Change] and navigating to your preferred directory. Once chosen, select [OK - Make Song List], and Band-in-a-Box does the rest... the next time you click on [Song], you'll be taken directly to your preferred folder!

Learn even more about this feature within Chapter 5 of our Online Manual, here.

Just Launched - The FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

If you have a question (or questions!) about Band-in-a-Box®, PowerTracks, RealBand®, or any other PG Music Inc. product - whether it be technical support or pre-sales, there's now an easy one-stop spot to find the answer - our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

Don't want to read through the 600+ posts? Use the Search FAQ option, and you can choose your key search terms to locate the topic and answer you're looking for!

Common pre-sales questions about our products, ordering, and delivery:
Pre-Sales

Technical support & troubleshooting by product:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Band-in-a-Box® for Mac
RealBand® for Windows
PowerTracks Pro® Audio for Windows
Other Products

There's even a Request New FAQs forum, if you didn't see your question answered anywhere!

Over 190 Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Today's the day we say "Happy Birthday" to Adolphe Sax, the creator of the Saxophone!
(Adolphe was born November 6, 1814 - 32 years later he patended his saxophone creation!)

We have more than 190 Saxophone RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box with the following RealTracks Sets - review the complete list here.

Check our our Saxophonist programs for Windows:
The Jazz Saxophonist
The Rock Saxophonist

Forum Stats
28212 Members
59 Forums
54895 Topics
455269 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
RU3, devotrain990, layton, TomTowle, Dische

28211 Registered Users