Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#203443 05/16/13 02:43 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
A few weeks ago, something reminded me of my high school girlfriend (it was a long time ago). One thing lead to another, and I got to thinking about people having regrets, about "the one that got away" and wanting to turn back the clock. Guitar..chords..thougths...mumble, mumble... song.

TAKE ME BACK

Here are the Real Tracks:

RealTracks in style: ~520:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 691:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBright Ev 120
RealTracks in song: ~544:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Dreamy Ev 165
RealTracks in song: ~407:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 408:Guitar, Resonator, Background Allis Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1540:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopBelieve Ev16 065 (Half-Time)
RealDrums in style: NashvilleSkip^03-a:SideStick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat

Simple stuff. Hope you enjoy it..

Comments encouraged.

floyd

floyd jane #203453 05/16/13 04:17 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I only have a couple of seconds -- so here's my challenge. Can you please do a "bad" one, so the rest of us won't feel so lousy. Ha, ha -- just kidding. I always enjoy your vision of what a song should be. You got a lot of real deep down talent.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
floyd jane #203457 05/16/13 05:56 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd, that's bodacious, my friend! I am finding my vast (or half-vast) reserve of superlatives running short in describing your songs. CUT THAT OOT! (Canadian).

Seriously, you, Sir, have songwriting skills poochin' oot all over.

I constantly look forward to each new offering.

More please!?

floyd jane #203458 05/16/13 06:21 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A real pleasure to listen to Floyd. The story drew me in and I love the way you handled the chorus. Beautiful arrangement and production. It really captures the wistful vibe.

Well done.

floyd jane #203476 05/17/13 12:40 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

I really enjoyed this one. Come to think of it, though, I really enjoy ALL your songs. As others have already said, you're an amazingly consistent songwriter, singer, arranger and producer!

Heading back for another play!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
floyd jane #203481 05/17/13 02:45 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Floyd,

Reminds me of when I was 16 (Many,Many,MANY moons ago) when I fell in love with a girl.

Family moved and we lost touch.

Bumped into her a little while ago and I was instantly transformed into that 16 year old blubbering wreck. Funny how that works after decades of separate lives.

So your song certainly worked for me.

Best regards

George

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

Noel96 #203490 05/17/13 07:19 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Floyd,

I really enjoyed this one. Come to think of it, though, I really enjoy ALL your songs. As others have already said, you're an amazingly consistent songwriter, singer, arranger and producer!

Heading back for another play!

Just beautiful.

Guenter

floyd jane #203492 05/17/13 07:25 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Another keeper Floyd. Very nice.

Regards,

Bob

floyd jane #203511 05/17/13 12:24 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Floyd,
I have to agree with Noel, your consistency is pretty scary!
Just another really fine job all around!
This mix seems a little dryer than others... Thats neither here nor there, just an observation. grin

Great Job,

Greg

floyd jane #203524 05/17/13 03:20 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Kevin - thanks. stay tuned... sooner or later there's bound to be a bad one....

Don - Thank you so much for such kind words. I thought I was under the Gaynor radar. Glad you've noticed....

Josie - Thank you, too. I really appreciate your comments. I know you've been there...

floyd jane #203525 05/17/13 03:25 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Noel - you are always... so kind. About time for another from you, isn't it?

George - thanks for the listen.

Guenter - Appreciate it. Time for you, too, I think...

Bob - I know you're just stashing then all away.... (and where is your next one???)

Greg - Not sure what "dryer" might mean... I have been leaning towards "simpler" lately.... Thanks for the comments...

floyd jane #203590 05/18/13 11:37 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Floyd,

You need only read the preceding comments. Sweet and in-the-pocket. You never miss.

I really wanted to comment on your comments. You know, people have told me regularly that they don't like Jazz. No problem, it's what I expect. What makes me suspicious are nonmusicians who claim to like Jazz. I never ask them, but I'm sorely tempted to ask, "Exactly what is it about Jazz that you like?" I used to characterize Jazz as "music for musicians." But even that needs modification to "music for some musicians."

In your case, I've received the answers without asking the question.

(1)Lyricism. As a superb lyricist and singer, you want and expect lyricism - music that has the potential for supporting emotionally laden lyrics. Simple chords (and not too many of 'em) work best, and country guitar is an art in itself. If you can get lyricism in a Jazz solo, great, but there are competing goals. For me, the purpose of a solo is to illuminate the chord changes in new ways, build excitement, throw some surprises, etc. If your solo isn't as interesting as the melody itself, why bother with it at all? Just play the melody over again instead.

(2) Chaos. This really jumped out at me in your comments on Moody's Mood. You explained why you didn't like it and used the word chaotic. I think that pins it down for those not drawn to Jazz - lots and lots and lots of notes. Incoherent, chaotic notes. Jazz is disorder that hides deeper order, but no one said that perceiving it is easy, immediate, or for most folks even possible.

Aleck

aleck rand #203636 05/19/13 08:13 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: aleck rand
Floyd,

You need only read the preceding comments. Sweet and in-the-pocket. You never miss.

I really wanted to comment on your comments. You know, people have told me regularly that they don't like Jazz. No problem, it's what I expect. What makes me suspicious are nonmusicians who claim to like Jazz. I never ask them, but I'm sorely tempted to ask, "Exactly what is it about Jazz that you like?" I used to characterize Jazz as "music for musicians." But even that needs modification to "music for some musicians."

In your case, I've received the answers without asking the question.

(1)Lyricism. As a superb lyricist and singer, you want and expect lyricism - music that has the potential for supporting emotionally laden lyrics. Simple chords (and not too many of 'em) work best, and country guitar is an art in itself. If you can get lyricism in a Jazz solo, great, but there are competing goals. For me, the purpose of a solo is to illuminate the chord changes in new ways, build excitement, throw some surprises, etc. If your solo isn't as interesting as the melody itself, why bother with it at all? Just play the melody over again instead.

(2) Chaos. This really jumped out at me in your comments on Moody's Mood. You explained why you didn't like it and used the word chaotic. I think that pins it down for those not drawn to Jazz - lots and lots and lots of notes. Incoherent, chaotic notes. Jazz is disorder that hides deeper order, but no one said that perceiving it is easy, immediate, or for most folks even possible.

Aleck

Aleck,

You make good points and I think this topic is worthy of group discussion. I want to comment, but I don't want to hijack Floyd's thread. Please post these same observations on one of the discussion forums and let's see how the participation goes.

Last edited by Pat Marr; 05/19/13 08:32 AM.
floyd jane #203637 05/19/13 08:31 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

This is getting ridiculous. I've run out of fresh ways to offer praise for your songs! You're like the basketball player who swishes every shot. dang!

Anyway, that one reminded me of something, but my aging memory can't remember what. I can say for sure that the way you crafted the guitar solo, it reminded me of CSNY

You and a few others have really developed recognizeable styles. If you posted a song anonymously, It would be easy to know you had made it, and that's a (very) good thing.

As one who plays covers, I'm more of a chameleon so I'm fascinated by the elements of personal style. I would characterize yours as having the following recognizeable traits:

1) your voice has its own unique accent and depth

2) your themes tend to revolve around every day topics that might get discussed at dinner or a family reunion

3) the way you phrase your verses is highly individual... I haven't heard anybody else on this forum who uses pauses and run-on sentences to better advantage... the result of your phrasing is that your lyrics are less "sing-songy" and more conversational.. which is consistent with the theme of everyday topics.

I could say more, but I have to save something for your next song. ;-)

floyd jane #203656 05/19/13 12:34 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hi Floyd great production and mix Is cystal clear plus +10 thanks eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
floyd jane #203681 05/19/13 03:43 PM
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd.

As usual, I've arrived here too late to say anything original.

Suffice to say, well up to your usual high standard.

ROG.

floyd jane #203705 05/20/13 01:50 AM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Floyd,

I was commenting on the mix and the overall reverb or FX just seemed a little "dryer" or not as "wet" grin...I could have been impaired at the time though. tired

Greg

floyd jane #203734 05/20/13 06:20 AM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Darn good song nice clean production and a memorable voice.

floyd jane #203763 05/20/13 01:25 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
aleck - appreciate you droppin' by for a listen...

eric - thanks for that.

ROG - thanks - that was original...

Greg - gotcha

Steve - so nice to have you drop in. thanks for the kind words.

floyd jane #203768 05/20/13 01:49 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Pat,

That's some awfully nice stuff to say. I truly appreciate it.
Now that you mention it, that guitar lead IS very CSNY-ish...
Nice that you think I have a "style". I stopped dreaming of being a performer (artist) YEARS ago (I think it coincided with hair loss).
I've "quit" and come back to music a couple of times (10 year layoffs) and
writing is always what brings me back.

I believe strongly that lyrics should (for the most part) be conversational. Natural. The words should roll easily and naturally from the singers mouth and, more importantly, fall naturally on the listener's ear. Writing is pretty easy if you (the writer) keeps one rule in mind... If you put down a line that you would never actually say in conversation... erase it and start over. And when it's sung, it should sound natural - the same way it would sound if you were to simply speak the line (not some awkward cadence to fit an existing melody - if that happens, you erase that, too).

And I find most of my titles or ideas in everyday kinds of stuff. Things that come out of the blue, but were right there in front of you all the time.

So I'd say you did a pretty good job of "defining my style".

And, again... thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.

floyd

Last edited by floyd jane; 05/20/13 01:51 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,477
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195