Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#201222 04/20/13 03:32 PM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
When you record a baritone, what EQ settings would you use to bring out the depth in the voice, especially the low end?

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Hard question to answer - it's dependent on the singer. I would start with...... nothing, other than high pass filtering the singer right at the mic, if the mic has a HP switch - use it.

I personally don't think you can make EQ recommendations for voice to 'bring out' any particular tone. You have to be really careful with it because the vowel formants will really light up if you cross into some area where you've boosted frequency content.

How about record and post first then ask if folks have some EQ recommendations for the particular voice/song?

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Yes, I have lit up a few vowels in the past, not to mention creating some funky F's.

I will try to post a clip.

Veteran
Veteran
It's not difficult. Find a decent parametric EQ, dial in a narrow Q, sweep the frequencies and boost/cut the desired freqs. Cutting is better than boosting. Rather than boost the low mids you are trying to accentuate, try cutting adjacent freqs. IMO, boosting low mids is never a good thing.

Regards,

Bob

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
To add to Bob's tips, if you do end up boosting (which I agree with him is not recommended practice), dial the Q down so it's not so narrow. Narrow cuts work well, narrow boosts are usually a bad idea from a sound quality standpoint. Try it yourself and you'll hear the difference. You can apply a fairly broad boost successfully without it 'honking'. This idea is found in lots of tip forums - here is one link that summarizes things fairly well: http://www.hometracked.com/2008/02/07/vocal-eq-tips/

Also, you will probably want to high-pass filter everything with a cutoff between 80 and 200 Hz - adjust to taste. Do the cutoff frequency adjustment while auditioning the vocals against the other elements of your mix. Dial up the cutoff frequency until the vocal sounds 'thin', then dial down the high pass cutoff frequency just a hair from wherever that 'thin' point is.

That article addresses high pass filtering to some extent, without getting into the method of where to set the cutoff frequency.

Bob, is there a parametric EQ in RB/BIAB? I don't recall there being one. I'm not sure where to buy one either. I use the one that's shipped with my DAW software. Long ago, I bought a parametric EQ DX plugin from the maker of N-Track, even though I don't use N-Track.

There are a few available in the freebie part of the plugin database but I don't have any experience with any of those that are there.

easy to use high pass filter available here:
http://www.gvst.co.uk/downloads.htm

ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Scott.

Just jumping in here.

RB/PT has a good parametric, but unfortunately it's not real-time. That is, you can only render with it.

I tend to use the Antress Modern Deep Purple quite a lot and find it very effective. Antress do quite a few EQs and you can see the range here -

http://www.gersic.com/plugins/hosted/antress/index.php

Hope you find this useful.

ROG.

Veteran
Veteran
Scott,

I usually use the little Cakewalk parametric in Sonar. It's simple, but functional.

Rog,

Thanks for reminding me about the Antress plugs. I love their Modern Compressor on vocals! Gotta try the Deep Purple.

Regards,

Bob

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I'll have to check out Deep Purple as well, though I'm fairly spoiled by the parametric EQ's that are in my host DAW software.

I did take some time to peruse the KVR plugin database, and BlueCat has one that is a freebie, with a nice graphic display of the computed frequency response. It also has high and low shelving filters. You can just leave these alone if you like or at least use the low end shelving filter to zap unneeded low frequency content.

-Scott

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks guys,

The Antress stuff is 32 bit so will not work for me. However, I am mixing in Sonar X1 PE, so I have plenty of tools.

Here is an example of a song I wrote and recorded with a voc that I feel needs some help.

Rollin' On

The voc was recorded Shure SM7B. I removed the harmonies, so you can hone in on the lead.

Notice how the it seems a bit "stuck in the mud"? I've have an HPF on both the voc and electric guitar.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Robb,

Here's my opinions for what it's worth:

1. The electric guitar has no high end - that's why it sounds 'stuck in the mud.

2. The snare has a distortion sound to it that makes too much out front in the overall song's spectrum content.

3. On the vocals, I think you could probably raise the HPF cutoff another 50 to 100 Hz and the muddiness that is present at times (it doesn't sound muddy to me the whole way through like the electric guitar does) will start to fade. The vocal is also very dry. A tad reverb wouldn't hurt it at all, AFTER you cut some more low end out of the vox.

I'd love to have an opportunity to re-mix this for you - if you can save off the individual tracks as high bit rate .mp3 files (to keep the overall project size small), and identify what is squirrelly with that snare first, I'll take a crack at re-mixing the song for you.

-Scott

Last edited by rockstar_not; 05/08/13 09:46 PM.
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Scott!

I'd like to take you up on the offer. Give me a while to post the separate tracks.

The drums are RealDrums Country Train 8
The guitar is RealTrack #384 Southern Rock
The bass is RealTrack #288 Metal Ev

I'll check my settings to make sure I didn't do anything to mess them up. I'll post them dry.

I've sliced a diced the others tracks from various sources.

Isolated, you can hear my kids on the current voc track. It is a rare treat for me to record in isolation (6 kids).

Would you like the harmonies?

Thanks again for your help!

-Robb

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
No harmonies - just the lead vocal. I may have to back off my offer.

Tonight my oldest daughter was using our Samsung RV511 lappy (the same one I have my recording software on) and after awhile she says to me - "Dad, the laptop won't power on".

Sure enough, no combination of battery in/out, AC adapter plugged in/not plugged in, holding power button down, etc. will bring this thing to life.

No sign of death beforehand.

power light lights on indicator of whether AC adapter is plugged in or not, but no come to life with the power button. Methinks the mobo is gone. So, it stays plugged in tonight, with a hope and a prayer for real, to see if she powers up in the AM. If not, there's a few of them for sale on e-Bay that I might be able to snipe.

I'm having some bad luck with lappys - I bought expensive with a Thinkpad and had nearly this same issue, and this one I bought on clearance at Best Buy - and I've received about a year and a half life out of it.

I'm a hair shy of simply saying hang it all and going with a Mac.

Veteran
Veteran
I know this sounds simplistic but take the battery off and try powering up just with the ac. Weird but it works with my crummy old hp

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Originally Posted By: jo131
I know this sounds simplistic but take the battery off and try powering up just with the ac. Weird but it works with my crummy old hp

Thanks, been there and done that - I know that routine well from a previous laptop. Running memtest86 when I get home tonight.

Veteran
Veteran
You may want to check the voltage output of the power adapter. The adapter may have bit the dust and is no longer charging the battery. I've had that happen a few times and had a bad ac power chord to the adapter.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Well, memtest86 revealed about the whole 4GB range of the single DDR3 module as bad.

I'm not sure what would have caused this to happen - but I suspect flexure of the cheap plastic case on this thing may have somehow allowed too much voltage to hit the memory module - if it's even bad.

BIOS shows that the module is present and accounted for.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Got some 2 GB mem sticks from local Craigslist, installed last night, after Windows repair and restore of a recent restore point, I'm typing this on the previously defunct lappy.

I'm still nervous about this laptop, but it's alive right now! I think it could have been case flexure, that allowed something bad to happen to the single 4GB DDR3 module. So, it's no longer to be used on someone's lap. Transport only happens with power off, etc. We'll see if that keeps it alive.

So, robb, I can take the tracks. High bit rate .mp3 or .wav compressed to monkey's audio first. I do have a dropbox, but I don't remember my password for it. Send me a PM if you want to go forward with it and we'll work out a way to get the tracks to me and my mixdown back to you.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I'm glad you got your computer working again.

I have exported individual tracks and tucked them inside of a .zip. You can download it here:
Rollin' On zip file

On the vocal track you can hear my toddler playing with Duplos in the background; it disappears in the mix. At least the parrot was quiet.

Thanks again for the effort.

Last edited by RobbMiller; 05/20/13 01:30 PM. Reason: updated .zip
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Can you convert to .mp3, 320 kbps then zip the file?

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
The .zip file now contains .mp3 files encoded @320 bits.
Rollin' On zip file

I'm excited to see what a fresh ear brings.

Thanks again,
Robb

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,564
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200