Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#204474 05/26/13 11:08 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Been a while since I posted any new work. I was/am learning songs for a tribute band and have had very little time to work on my own stuff. Hope you enjoy it. It is long, as all my songs are, but I write to tell my stories and not to fit some corporate songwriter's handbook. Pink Floyd did okay with long songs.....

This is one about wanting someone from afar and fully understanding that it's likely a waste of time. Rog has it and his group of outstanding singers will be replacing the vocoder BGV with what I expect to be a HUGE chorale kind of sound, but they can't just drop their lives to come running and do it.

Wasting My Time

Song File Name: Wasting My Time
Tempo: 68
Key: C
Time Sig: 4/4
drum fill - this was just a tap on the drum machine
RealDrums-NashvilleEven8^1-SideStick,Ride
RealBass 1592 Bass, Electric, Pop16ths Ev 065
RT1410 Piano, SynthLayer, Rhythm Soul70sA-B Ev16 100
RT841 Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopBalladSlowGritty Ev 065
RT876 Guitar, Electric, Rhythm NorthernRockFuzzyQuarters Sw1
RT665 Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm SouthernRock Ev 085 (B Strum)
Vocals - obviously live
BGV - from my trusty vocoder - I just LOVE that thing!!
Sax intro - Eric Marienthal
sax solo - Eric Marienthal
sax outro - Eric Marienthal
guitar sweeten - just some extra gritty guitar I played in live
cello - from my trusty ESQ-1

On the sax parts, I cut and pasted and chopped so much to make something I liked that I have no idea which RT it was. I think 1442 rings a bell. (Get it? A sax has a bell...) This is like 5 different sax tracks generated and I cut and pasted for about 2 hours making the pieces fit.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Eddie!
Glad to see you posting again (both musically and also in the discussion forum)

lots to say on this one:

1) first of all, I really like the concept. You have a real knack for taking a theme that lots of people can identify with and turning into a song.

2) super job on the hooks. I probably sound like a broken record, but the people who play live seem to consistently add hooks to their songs. You incorporated the recurring passages that made the song "familiar" right away. To me, that is one of the most important yet perhaps the most commonly overlooked parts of a song

3) and the time you spent doctoring the sax paid off. Sounded perfectly natural and just right for the song

4) I am intrigued by the subtle differences between the ways you and ROG approach the same song, and I can't wait to hear his version. I also think it's flattering to you that he picks your songs to cover.

5) having said all that, my final observation is that I'm glad I don't have a barn.... because if I did, I'd probably go out behind it and shoot myself after listening to just about any of your songs. You have a way of zeroing in on life's disappointments. But, seriously, good song writing depends on the writer's ability to put identifiable emotion to music.

all in all, I really like this song. You're a talented guy Eddie! Good job!

on a different note: You may have already said who your band is paying tribute to, but I missed it. Who?

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I don't want to hijack your thread, but I can't resist the urge to project how other forum participants MIGHT have done this song:
------------------------
SUNDANCE (Josie)
She would have developed the disappointment for the 1st half of the song, but the 2nd half would have been about a new perspective and how she learned from the experience and successfully moved on with her life

NOEL96
Noel would explode if he tried to write this song. It would be like placing two incompatible chemicals in the same container.

BOEHM
It would be about a robot who developed emotions that he wasn't programmed to deal with. There would be an underlying track of a well-known classical piece that fit perfectly with your chords. All the embellishments would be stuff that none of us would have thought of. When we heard his version, we would all spontaneously want to get up and dance to it

PAT MARR
I'd do a straight note-for-note cover after importing your ripped MP3 into RealBand, extracting the chords, then merging your original song with a combination of real tracks and my own playing.

ROG (and company)
He'd turn it into a full-blown 80s production with lush backing vocals, highly processed effects and superbly mixed tracks. When we heard it, there would be an inclination to wonder if the singer might be Phil Collins

JANICE AND BUD
it will become a bluegrass song, and the roles would be reversed. Janice would be singing the girl's perspective of why she's unattainable to the guy. After hearing this totally believable version, the audience will understand completely why its obvious that such a girl would not date that guy. The backing tracks will be masterfully assembled by Bud to create the desired mood. It will sound like a killer band playing, and even people who don't normally listen to bluegrass will love the song.

FMM
hah! Who needs lyrics? this song should be an instrumental with lots of killer guitar licks

FLOYD JANE
It would be a "down home" country version, portraying a middle aged son telling his mother over dinner why he isn't married yet. There would be some discussion about why she shouldn't be looking for grand-babies anytime soon. Mama won't understand

KEMMRICH
I don't know. Kevin always surprises me. But I'm pretty sure it would have a 70s feel to it, and hearing his version would make me think of Neil Young

90db
He'd make it an historically accurate portrayal of an impossible liaison between the queen's gardener and his regal objet d'amour. Style would be Celtic and the singing will be awesome. The gardener gets his head chopped off in the end for daring to love the queen.

STEVE YOUNG
it would be a spiritual metaphor with the concluding point that family values and faith in God are what make life worth living. Production would be as good as or better than anything on any CD you currently possess.

DANNY C
very similar to the original, but there would be mention made of cajun cooking. And he'd end up playing it live at least 50 times per year.

CUBANPETE
the scenario for the song would be a French Bistro, and the players would be a lonely American businessman in Europe on business and a lovely waitress who's out of his league. Too much french wine, too much time on his hands, too much regret, too little romance. But you'd only know that from the CD liner notes, because the song would be an instrumental jazz piece. The background noises will make the setting totally believable.

ALECK RAND
Awesome chordal jazz guitar playing, so far removed from the original song that unless you knew it was supposed to be the same song you'd never guess. But the signature licks would be interwoven into the guitar tapestry, and if you really paid attention you might notice that it bears some resemblance to Eddies version. Pat would feebly try to disguise his guitar-envy by ineffectually challenging him on some moot point.

RSDEAN
He and Josie would portray both roles and turn it from 1st person narrative into a real-time dialogue between both characters. At the end of the song, the listener won't know whether the girl ditches the guy or stays. Unresolved conflict is a powerful way to keep us interested.

-------------------
(sub)standard disclaimer:
this is just a lame attempt at humor, with the true intent being to pay homage to a few of the many contributors to this forum who have repeatedly and predictably WOWed me with their submissions. Although it might look like I'm stereotyping your styles, I'm really just trying to note something recognizeable about you and something you've posted in the past. I hope you find it amusing and not offensive

Apologies to anyone I omitted.. there just isn't time to skewer everybody. wink

Last edited by Pat Marr; 05/28/13 01:55 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I approach songwriting from a perspective that is based on this statement:

A song is a story set to music.

Given that, then you have to focus in on a story. Sometimes stories are about adopting a puppy. Sometimes they are 14 years later when that puppy dies. Point being, depending on the catalyst, songs are happy or sad.

The first batch of songs, which included The One That Got Away, Do It All Again and Lie To Myself, were born after a girl I was quite fond with dumped me after a short but intense relationship. There are not a lot of ways to tell that story "happy". The batch in the middle, which included Believe and Good Things Come, WERE "happy". One was intended to be motivational, the other was "The future will be brighter".

This last could, From A Distance and Wasting My Time, are about wanting something and not being able to have it, and you have to accept it and watch from a distance. Again, how can I tell that "happy"?

The one in the hopper now is Even If I Did. It's about "well, it doesn't matter even if I did" tell you something. More upbeat tempo, but lyrics born from frustration.

I'm glad you don't have a barn too.

I think part of the Rog connection is that we are very close in age and taste in the music we draw from. I came up listening to "stadium rock" kind of stuff like Pink Floyd and ELP, very elaborate production, drawn out storytelling.... I absolutely hated what commercial radio did to Pink Floyd music, cutting their songs into short chunks because music is, after all, just what you listen to between the commercials. I don't listen to the radio because of that. Rog also has an amazing well of talent and he is willing to let others drink from it. I get quality work, his kids get more experience, and everybody wins.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
I don't want to hijack your thread, but I can't resist the urge to project how other forum participants MIGHT have done this song:
------------------------

KEMMRICH
I don't know. Kevin always surprises me. But I'm pretty sure it would have a 70s feel to it, and hearing his version would make me think of Neil Young
-------------------

And it would be exactly 3:34 and have no reverb....

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,

I agree, there is no way to tell those stories without the connected emotion. But why would you? Its that very emotion that drives the song! And you do that so well! What may have come across as a criticism is really sideways praise. As I've said many times, you are a talented guy.

And I couldn't agree more about ROG. I love everything he submits. His interpretaion of your compositions always adds something new without taking anything good away from the original. You two are a good team.

I'm glad you're back. You add something irreplaceable and highly entertaining to the forum. Your verbal wit is legendary.

Quote:
And it would be exactly 3:34 and have no reverb....

wink

In defense of Kevin, he's been hanging in a bunch of songwriter's forums for quite a while, and he has zeroed in on his own set of techniques. I'd say his formula works well for him.

Last edited by Pat Marr; 05/27/13 10:43 AM.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Pat: I thought your scenarios was very well done and very funny. You are a keen observer of folks' style. I never can hear the Neil Young connection, but since many folks say it, it must be so. I always try and sound "modern", but I am afraid that I sound like 70's music because that is what I was "imprinted" with!! I guess the only way to get away from that is to co-write with young whippersnappers!

Eddie: I happen to think that 3:34 is on the long side now. My goal nowadays is under 3 minutes! Without the lyrics, I can't tell if you succeeded in telling the story effectively or not. I did listen all the way through, though! By the way, I use reverb on almost every track in my songs (mine and the RT's).

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Kemmrich
Pat: I thought your scenarios was very well done and very funny. You are a keen observer of folks' style. I never can hear the Neil Young connection, but since many folks say it, it must be so.

I only said it because its been said before. The depth of your presentation is bigger than that... but I gotta find SOME foothold on which to comment.

Quote:
I always try and sound "modern", but I am afraid that I sound like 70's music because that is what I was "imprinted" with!! I guess the only way to get away from that is to co-write with young whippersnappers!

NOOOOOooooo! Don't change! what I like about your stuff is that it appeals to my idea of what a good song should sound like (which idea was formed in the 70s, but song characteristics today still have many of the same elements)

casual observation about anything tends to be like snapshots... they capture one moment in a fluid progression and freeze it that way... which can create the false impression that the single frame is the full summary of the subject

I hope it is obvious to everyone that I see far more to all of your styles than the snapshot I portrayed for the sake of caricature. Caricature purposefully exaggerates and oversimplifies its subject in order to make something complex seem simpler and more understandable

I'm certainly not poking fun... it's more my way of expressing my admiration for the ability of y'all to create a recognizeable style. I envy that since I don't have one yet.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Kemmrich
Eddie: I happen to think that 3:34 is on the long side now. My goal nowadays is under 3 minutes!

I couldn't say because I really haven't listened to commercial radio in at least 10 years.

You made it through all 6 minutes? grin

User Showcase
Journeyman
Online Content
Journeyman
Eddie,

Nice job! I found this to be some very fine songwriting, ok a little long, but who cares! wink
If I had one critique it would be where the sax comes in at about 4:55 to 5:20... to me it's walking on the vocal and detracting from the vocal line during that time, it's working ok after that where it comes in about 5:30. JMHO so take it for what it's worth!

Good Song.

Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
You know, I fought with myself about bringing that sax back in under those vocals. I thought if I did it in a subtle manner I could reintroduce the sax to set up that outro scat sax part. I think I may remix it with that underlying sax part farther back in the mix. I won't worry about it until I got the Rog tracks though.

What is funny is that when I compress it to MP3, the save at 128 and the save at 320 are SO different to the ear.....

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yo Eddie,

If there is such a thing as a guy torch song man this is it! You painted a very clear picture of a lonely guy who just can't seem to make that connection.

Good hook, good song!

PS: Pat I am glad it ran six minutes, gace me time to heat up the gumbo!:>

Later,

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Danny C.
Yo Eddie,

If there is such a thing as a guy torch song man this is it! You painted a very clear picture of a lonely guy who just can't seem to make that connection.

Good hook, good song!

PS: Pat I am glad it ran six minutes, gave me time to heat up the gumbo!:>

Later,

Thanks Danny. A true story, too. I tried to write it with no gender so a female could sing it as well. One will do so next weekend here in my studio.

I may do another one this week that will be just enough time to microwave the gumbo.... Now, if you need one to MAKE the gumbo, that's a whole CD there....

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Danny. I tried to make it genderless so a girl singer could do it to, and in fact one will do that next weekend here at my studio.

6 minutes for the gumbo? Let me do a short one so you can microwave it.

Now if you want one to MAKE the gumbo, that'd be a whole CD there.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Eddie,

although you neglected all my posts so far I want to say
that I like your song. Good lyrics, vocals and arrangement. I'm looking forward to ROG's version, although I like that vocoder part, too.

@Pat: Your charactarization of the forum members is a
keeper. You really have a good deal of humour. I liked that
a lot.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I've neglected you? Not deliberately. Thanks for the kind words. Or more appropriately, danke.

Last edited by eddie1261; 05/29/13 06:26 AM.

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
An epic track from my pal Eddie!

The SEQ file ftp'd it's way across the Atlantic a couple of days ago and we're starting to assemble some voices for the massive choir which Eddie asked for. Pity that it arrived at the start of a holiday week and in the middle of the exam period, but we'll get onto it pretty soon.

I love Eddie's songs, particularly his lyrics, which I believe are part gift and part due to an interesting life. He suggested it couldn't hurt for me to get divorced a few times to collect material for this type of song!

It's a real privilege to be asked to help out with this quality of material and I hope that those of you who are waiting for the up-dated version won't be disappointed.

I think Eddie's right in that we are both from the same era and have a lot of music in common, which is probably how we've become good friends, even though we've never met. One of these days, one of us is going to have to get on a plane...

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The melody in the chorus is quite nice - melodic and catchy.

ROG #204676 05/29/13 06:25 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Pity that it arrived at the start of a holiday week and in the middle of the exam period, but we'll get onto it pretty soon.

Hey, damn those exams. There's music to be made. grin

I love Eddie's songs, particularly his lyrics, which I believe are part gift and part due to an interesting life. He suggested it couldn't hurt for me to get divorced a few times to collect material for this type of song!

Interesting is a quite polite way to say it. If you only knew....

One of these days, one of us is going to have to get on a plane.

It'll likely be you.... I am so poor they won't even let me browse the airline web pages.

I am equally eager to hear what that amazing group of vocalists he has will do with this song. I have taken the songs that my British pals have worked on and put them side by side with the original versions, and the dozen or so people who have reviewed them all said the same thing, which is pretty close to the suggestion that I duct tape my mouth shut and let them sing my stuff.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You won me over with the lyric "...my heart stopped with a screech." smile

The ending has a very Eagles-esque ending, especially with the harmony.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,475
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195