Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#204923 05/31/13 11:26 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
A "dog song"! Who doesn't like a song about a dog!?!?
Well.. it's a love song, too. So that gives you something else to like... or not..
Okay, a friend does insist it's a bit corny. But, hey, sometimes I like corny... Hope you do, too...

CAN I KEEP HER

Here are the RealTracks -

RealTracks in style: ~~519:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~~522:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~~405:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 378:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming DoubleTime Ev 088 - halftime
RealTracks in song: 1945:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm GroovinFolk Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~685:Harmonica, Background Pop Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1264:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopShiningA-B Ev 120
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

The harmonies are a mix of me and the BIABettes.

Have at it. Comments encouraged...

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Here are a few observations:

1) I love the ol' switcheroo where you start singing about the dog and end up singing the same refrain to the girl in room 210. I bet you struggled to find words that would fit in both instances (they did! Good job!)

2) however, some of your audience may think like me, and wonder if the neighbor girl was a real dog. But you did head that off at the pass by saying she was a perfect angel (which I presume was a tie-in to "the heavens above" which is a tie-in to the parents that had to be asked if the boy could keep her...?)

3) regarding the corniness factor: we had a discussion before you were on the forum about songs that so blatantly tug on the heart strings that instead of having the desired effect they become corny instead. The 60's song HONEY (about a man's deceased wife) was thought by many to be emotionally manipulative. But an equal number of comments revealed that with some people it had the desired effect.

My conclusion about the "corn factor" is that all emotional appeal seeks a niche audience, and will be rejected by anyone outside that niche. I say "go for it" and let the chips fall where they may. Second guessing song ideas has only one effect, and that is to undermine confidence

4) a real interesting and unexpected turn might have been to team up with Boehm, and make the girl in room 210 a bionic female, and you have to ask a reluctant group of scientists if you can marry her. wink

As usual, I envy your talent. You should post something that sucks once in a while so the rest of us mortals take courage and venture into the arena without the pressure of hitting a home run every time.

Last edited by Pat Marr; 05/31/13 01:29 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Your songs always bring a smile to my face, and how can I not like a song that rhymes "keep her" with "deeper." The barking at the end is a nice touch - I like how it comes in with the beat, instead of waiting for the song to end.

You write these great songs that telegraph where they're going miles before you get there, but they're so well done (and sung with so much feeling) that they don't feel cliche. (Oooh. I see Pat's commented on that already).

And I like the changes over the chorus - I'm a sucker for maj7 chords. You do fun things with the rhythms, which makes the song interesting.

OK, minor nits. I understand the line "is that enough", but it somehow doesn't work for me. Maybe because when my kids tell me that, I know they've done the absolute minimum amount of work, no matter what they say.

The lyric "no one could ever love her any deeper" might make more sense the first time around as "no one will ever lover her any deeper". Then again, a certain forum member has suggested that changing lyrics to song choruses is a cardinal sin. smirk

Last edited by dcuny; 05/31/13 01:39 PM. Reason: Because I can.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

When I hear a song like "Can I Keep Her", it makes me realize just how far I still have to travel along the road of learning how to be a songwriter. This is such a good song! The story flows seamlessly and the chorus develops the emotional contour of the lyrics incredibly well. Added to that are a very professional arrangement, sterling vocals and a top-shelf production.

I was going to say that "this is my new favourite song of yours", but then I stopped and thought a bit more and realised that I like all your work and I honestly don't know which one I like the best!

"Can I Keep Her" was a pleasure to listen to this wet Saturday morning here in Melbourne.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Pat Marr #204959 05/31/13 03:06 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
You should post something that sucks once in a while

Pat, we're gonna be waiting a loooong time. Floyd: tremendous lyricist and story teller, authentic voice with intonation I wish I had, always straight ahead and-in-the-pocket. He seems biologically incapable of producing a bad song.

Aleck

dcuny #204961 05/31/13 03:10 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: dcuny
how can I not like a song that rhymes "keep her" with "deeper." smirk

My reaction exactly, when that lyric jumped out at me. Floyd just keep coming up with these lyrical gems over and over.

Aleck.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

if this is cliche then I like cliche.
I like the lyrics. (The dog's barking at the end
is my ringtone).
Great voice and wonderful Biabettes.
I'm still a fan.
Keep going on like this.
Nobody talks about the mix. It seems self-evident that
it is perfect.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey it's corntry - LOL! Just kidding - I couldn't resist that one Floyd. grin The "corny" concern reminded me of the old Hee-Haw set in that corn field. There's a great tradition of down home corniness in country that continues to this day. The trick is pulling it off which you do quite well with this story song.

Sweet little ditty. Well written. Well sung. Well mixed. Created nice images in my mind that made me smile.

Enjoyed it.

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd.

Everything is just as professional as ever, but it really is the lyrics which make this song work.

A very clever piece of writing and OK, some might say it's a trifle corny, but I think it's the perfect country song.

It did, however put me in mind of the saying -

"A dog is for life, not just for Friday night".

Ouch!

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks to everyone who has listened and commented. I think was good that I admitted to the "corn factor" up front...

Pat - You're song discussions are as entertaining as the songs themselves. Sometimes more so. When writing a song like this, you have to pretty much have it mapped out before you start writing. If you do that - and do it right, you can write that chorus aimed at both scenarios. It's actually harder to write the verses - and keep them interesting enough that the "obvious pay-off" doesn't become so much so that you lose the listener's interest.

David - I enjoy your song analysis as well... I think the "enough" line was previously qualified enough to not be "Dad, why do we have to rake the leaves..."
The difference of "will" verses "could" is a personal thing I think... either would work (for both choruses)... thanks for the thoughts and the comments.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Noel - thank you for such kind words. You always say the nicest things...

Aleck - You impress me with what you can do. I am pleased that I can return the favor...

Guenter - Thanks for that. The barking is actually taken from a YouTube video that goes on for several minutes. I search through it to find just the "dog speak" that I was looking for....

Josie - you gave me a chuckle... don't you miss that corn field.. I do... thanks for your comments..

ROG - Thank you - appreciate the things you say....

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Floyd !:)

I really hope
you gotta keep her !:) (lol) !
In my case it was about cats rather than dogs (lol) !
I still have two cats, a black and a white one (Naomi and Lady)
But back to your wonderful tune: It is just
very enjoyable and so well made, just don´t leave
anything more to ask for !:)

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Another good one Floyd. Ditto what's been said.

Regards,

Bob

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Excellent story development and fine production and performance, as usual. You should try and do 50/90 this summer along with the rest of us crazies! Doing 50 is not a requirement, though. I have done 50/90 five or six times -- but I only hit 50 once (and over half of those were just lyrics). I am more of a 15-20/90 type of guy. A lot of my favorite songs have come from the 50/90 experiences.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
nice work on the tune.

The mix sounds good.

I read all the comments and well..... I often write tunes just to write them. It's about writing somethings just for the sake of writing something. No commercial aspirations in mind.... just write a song.

I did a challenge to myself one year.... not unlike the 50/90 mentioned...it was 26/52 or basically one song in 2 weeks. Having a family and not being a songwriter who can devote much time to this, I thought that was a reasonable goal. I did exceed the goal.

I will struggle and fret over a line or two and even words... looking for the best, most natural way to say something. The last tune I wrote (soon to be posted) gave me fits over 2 lines....and that was after all the rewrites I did on the entire tune.

all in all a good song....corney, IDK.. but still a good exercise in writing. Having a look at the lyrics a bit closer and doing a lyrical re-write might solve that issue. The trick is to grab the heart strings and engage the listener in the emotion without being to obvious that that is your intention. Some of the co-writes I have done in the past have been quite extensive.... bouncing the lyric back and forth 7 or more times, deleting lines, words, entire verses and choruses and reworking things until we were satisfied that we had done all that we could to "get it right".....

I feel it's better to write something...anything... than to write nothing at all.

One more side bar note: Jeffry Steele..... hit country writer with well over 24 #1 hits... says he writes at least one song a day, every day and out of a full years worth of songs, about 1 in 100 are actually worthy to be pitched to artists. You gotta write alot of songs, and by doing so, you get better as you learn the skills..... it is obvious that you are working on that aspect ..... keep writing my friend.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dani - thanks so much for listening and commenting.

Bob - What DO I say to you? Ditto on all forthcoming sageness...!

Kevin - thanks for the listen. I thought about something like that when you guys were doing the February thing. There was a time when I wrote every day. For years. I like just doing it when it presents itself. Don't think I'm ready to try that pace again (yet). But I do look forward to hearing what you come up with (some of the last ones were awesome!)

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Guitarhacker (Herb),

I appreciate the advice. Although, I did think that this song was a pretty solid write. I'd be interested in what you think needs to be re-written and how you would go about it....

Here is the lyric:

walking home from school down by the railroad tracks
i found a treasure in a burlap sack
a half-starved, half-drowned, mixed-breed mutt
she licked my face when i picked her up
i named her "hobo".... she stole my heart
i took her home, cleaned her up, and went to mom and dad
for the hardest part

can i keep her
i'll do whatever i'm asked
i won't make the same mistakes
i may have in the past
she'll have tender care
when she needs me...i'll be there
no one could ever love her any deeper
is that enough
can i keep her

me and hobo... we're both now grown
found a place in town to call our own
hobo wandered off when we first moved in
she was rescued by the girl down the hall in 210
a perfect angel... we fell in love
it's so hard to believe.... every night ask
the heavens above....

can i keep her
i'll do whatever i'm asked
i won't make the same mistakes
i may have in the past
she'll have tender care
when she needs me....i'll be there
no one could ever love her any deeper
is that enough
can i keep her

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd.... I don't have any suggestions right off the top of my head for a rewrite of the lyric on this. To rewrite a song can be a major project, since it may alter the song in other ways....at least it does on many of my rewrites.

One thing that I struggle with in my writing is the rhymes. as in, making them good, unique, and not predictable or boring. To me, the perfect rhyme is one that fits like a natural BUT, you didn't see it coming until you're right on it.

We all know that there needs to be rhymes in certain places.... although more and more I'm seeing exceptions to this "hard and fast rule" rise to the top of the country charts. So when I'm looking for rhymes I am seeking more often, to use unpredictable rhymes.

It's when the rhymes are too predictable that the song ventures into the corny or sappy side of things. I did not mean to infer that your writing was not good, heck that's a great country song idea and you wrote about it well.

When I do a rewrite of things in my songs I tend to use the rhyme points as the basis for the changes. This often means rewriting at least 2 complete lines especially if I change the rhyme completely. Often I find that to be the only way to "break the pattern".

There are times when I can find a new and unique rhyme for the first or second half of a given rhyme pair, that fits perfectly and completes the idea as well without sounding like it was the proverbial square peg hammered into the round hole.

Some writers use rhyming dictionaries to find words, and while I have several, I use a program called MasterWriter which I purchased many years ago. It allows me to type the word I think I want to use and rhyme, and it shows in some cases over 40 pages of words that rhyme, as well as many pages of phrases that rhyme. (the path of least resistance) Many of the phrases are cliche's and of course, you want to avoid those like the plague as well, but often something there will spark an idea that takes me to a new direction for the line I'm looking.

I often "print" a rough version of a song to MP3 and listen to it repeatedly. By doing this, the corny, boring, trite, poorly written parts will stick out to me and I let my subconscious work on that problem for a few days. When I set down to write or rewrite, sometimes the new, better part comes easy and sometimes I have to dig it out with my bare fingernails.... each time is different in some aspect. If I'm writing with someone else, I will send a note telling them I don't like such and such line(s) and lets write something new in that place. Another person's POV, when focused on one trouble spot will get a totally new thought process happening.

So... without actually digging in to do a rewrite, this is as close as I can come at this point, by telling you what I look for and to some extent, how I write and then do rewrites.

It's a zen thing.... in the moment....one of those things as you know that you often just have to be there to experience.... just one of the joys of being a songwriter.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Priceless. Absolutely priceless. grin

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

don't rewrite or change anything.
It's great as it is.

Guenter

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195