You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#205223 - 06/03/13 10:51 AM [User Showcase] At The Same Moment
Kemmrich Offline
Expert

Most songs that I try and post here, I sort expect to be "finished". Of course, they never are (ha, ha). Recording-wise, this one has a ways to go, but I thought I would post an "early" version in case anyone has good ideas. I think the lyrics are done, but one never knows.

This one has its genesis as a 50/90 song skirmish, where you are given a title and you try and write and record a full song in an hour. The lyrics are close to the original (it just seemed to flow that day). In fact, it was hard to create the "freshness" of that one hour take in BIAB. We do the best we can, though. Feel free to comment as you wish.

*********************************************************************************

At The Same Moment
(c) Emmrich 2011

(verse)
across the crowded dance floor
at smokey's bar and grill
celebrating cindi's divorce papers
you were sitting there with her and Jill
we both looked up at the same time
and I know there was a spark
but considering the situation
there was no doubt you were on guard

(CHORUS)
At the same moment
we caught each other's eyes
and although you were toasting failure
you thought about love and that's no lie

(verse)
So I snuck away from my friends and
you slipped away from yours
both had been burned by love before
but we couldn't deny the allure
so I ordered light beer for me
and you wanted a fancy white wine
I changed my order right then and there,
had to get used to these things you liked

(CHORUS)
At the same moment
we caught each other's eyes
and while toasting new beginnings
we thought about love and that's no lie

(break using 1 chorus)

(Bridge)
like a phoenix from the ashes
heartaches can give way to passions
and maybe it was just an omen
that we saw each other
at the same moment

(First CHORUS Again)

(TAG)
At the same moment
while toasting new beginnings
we thought about love and that's no lie

Kevin: Vocals, guitars
BIAB: drums, bass, acoustic guitar, piano, harmonica
Title: At The Same Moment
File:At The Same Moment.SGU
Key=D , Tempo 81, Length (m:s)=2:54
4 bar intro, 53 bar chorus, from bar 5 to bar 57.
Style is =CURR_R.STY (Nash Rock, res.guit (88 RT))
Style MIDI Instruments are : Finger Electric Bass (34),
RealTracks in song: 1725:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryBalladJohn Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1037:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm NorthernRockBallad Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 626:Harmonica, Background Travis Ev 085
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^7-a,b:Snare, HiHat

Edited by Kemmrich (06/05/13 03:26 PM)

#205225 - 06/03/13 11:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: At The Same Moment [Re: Kemmrich]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Love the song's concept, Kevin.. and you had some interesting/clever rhymes which worked for me. I don't know if the rhyme police will buy them or not.

Was that you playing the guitar?

#205264 - 06/03/13 07:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: At The Same Moment [Re: Kemmrich]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Kevin,

nice story and arrangement.
Like the guitar.
I was distracted by some handclaps on the left from
1:15 on. Were they deliberate?

Guenter

#205317 - 06/04/13 11:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: At The Same Moment [Re: Kemmrich]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi Kevin.

It sounds good already to me.

If I looked really hard for something, I might bring the drums up in the mix a wee bit. Otherwise great.

ROG.

#205340 - 06/04/13 02:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: At The Same Moment [Re: Kemmrich]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Kevin,

A lot to like about this one. A very interesting idea to handle the title. A hour really? That's impressive in itself!

That piano works really well. Your guitar is a great addition. Loved how you used nothing but drums in the bridge (I may have to steal that idea from you for something!). And the bridge lyric is nice. I would agree with Guenter - lose the clapping.

"I changed my order right then and there" - loved that.

floyd

Edited by floyd jane (06/04/13 03:24 PM)

#205412 - 06/05/13 08:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: At The Same Moment [Re: Kemmrich]
Kemmrich Offline
Expert

... any one have issue with point of view (~2nd, past tense) used and the stating that it was a divorce celebration and knowing all the the names? I've got a couple of folks telling me that since the singer couldn't know what was happening at the table and the people's names, the story is shot down from the start.

I figured that since it was past tense, those facts could be known. Of course, it could be 2nd person with a touch on omniscient thrown it!

Pat: Yes I am playing that short lead part, it needs another take or two, though. Thanks for taking time to listen and comment.

boehm: I threw those claps in there, to see what I thought about them. I either have to take them out or add to them. Thanks for the visit!

ROG: I'll try that on the drums, thanks for stopping by and the suggestion.

Floyd: It's hard to make the bridge different all the time, gotta keep trying stuff. Piano could be a tad loud here and there, I need to tame that a bit. Thanks for listening and commenting.

#205434 - 06/05/13 10:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: At The Same Moment [Re: Kemmrich]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
As someone who is learning about bridges, I took notice and liked what you did with it. I particularly like "toasting failure." That's a clever way to describe a separation. Good tune. Thanks for posting.
J&B Website

#205447 - 06/05/13 01:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: At The Same Moment [Re: Kemmrich]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Quote:
... any one have issue with point of view (~2nd, past tense) used and the stating that it was a divorce celebration and knowing all the the names? I've got a couple of folks telling me that since the singer couldn't know what was happening at the table and the people's names, the story is shot down from the start.

I figured that since it was past tense, those facts could be known. Of course, it could be 2nd person with a touch on omniscient thrown it!

Kevin,

You can get around that by changing “you” to “she” which would be you talking to the listener after the fact obviously knowing all the details. But whether you change it or leave it as it is you should definitely change “I know” to “I knew”. Yes you know now but you knew then. smile

#205463 - 06/05/13 02:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: At The Same Moment [Re: Janice & Bud]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
I particularly like "toasting failure." That's a clever way to describe a separation. Good tune. Thanks for posting.

even more than a way to describe a separation, it could be seen as a positive way to start over from any disappointing conclusion. That's a highly marketable addition to any song, since at any given time there are so many people who are experiencing some kind of disappointment, and they can use a reminder that this moment is a chance to start over...

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28441 Members
58 Forums
55253 Topics
460230 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
BBMaestro, truffaldino, JuliaHolmes, wellington, wetzelbuddyspear

28439 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 362
Pipeline 329