Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
PowerTracks Pro Audio
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi there.

I've been using PT for years, but for the first time I've just tried recording with effects using the input monitor. If I check the input monitor box in audio prefs everything is ok, but as soon as I check the box for allow input effects recording, all the tracks playback distorted. I'm using asio drivers and I've made sure that I'm recording line in, not the mix or stereo output. Even if I load a song which was recorded previously, as soon as the boxes are checked the distortion starts. Un-checking the box returns playback to normal.

Am I missing something obvious here? Anyone got any ideas, or had the same problem?

ROG.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
What soundcard?
What bitrate are you using?
Have you experimented with bitrate or buffer size?
What input driver?

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
PowerTracks Pro Audio
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi rharv,

On this machine we're running XP professional with PT 2010 and using the on-board Realtek audio. The drivers are ASIO4All 2.8. File type is 16 bit at 44.1k.

I've tried all buffer sizes from min to max with no change. Strangely, the same thing happens on two other machines which we've tried.

Basically, if you start with a blank template, the first track records ok, but when you try to lay down further tracks, the recorded ones play back really distorted making it impossible to record the new one. Weird or what? Any ideas? What happens on your machine?
I don't use this facility much, but it would be nice to know how it works! Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

ROG.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
I had the same problem - I unchecked the two boxes top right of the Audio Panel and the problem went away.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Lyn,

Thanks for the info - it's nice to know it's not just me. If anyone else reads this and can check it out on their machine, please post the results. It could be that we've found a bug! I've made tech support aware of the problem, so we'll see what happens.

ROG.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Are you doing it this way? Step 9&10 is what throws people.
1. switch to ASIO in the prefs audio
2. check,"enable IM monitoring"&"Allow IM effects recording.
3. click drivers tab
4. select the drivers you have
5. set buffers by clicking on "Asio control panel"
6. OK, OK OK until you're back to the main RB track view
7. Make the track RED that you'll record to & rt click to set it to an audio track.
8. Click FX tab
9. Tricky part here- click on the "track" drop down.
10. scroll to the bottom and choose "Input monitor insert"
11. click on the "plugin"drop down
12. choose your effects in 1-4 slots
13. Good luck

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
PowerTracks Pro Audio
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Hi John,

Yeah, that's the way we're going about it, except that we're on PT 2010 and you appear to be on RB. Still got the problem on three machines that we know of, plus LynB's post. It does start to look like a bug. No explanation from tech support yet. I'll keep you all up-dated. Thanks.

ROG.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi all,

Rob at tech support has just got back to me to say that this is a problem, but it only happens with ASIO4ALL drivers. Development are going to look into it further.

In the meantime, I suppose you can always record whilst listening to the effect and then render the track by going to EDIT - AUDIO EFFECTS - DIRECT X AUDIO PLUGINS. This works even with real-time VST effects such as amp simulation and loops the audio whilst you audition the settings. In some ways this is almost better, because you can, for example, play using overdrive and reverb, but only render the overdrive and leave the reverb until the final mix.

Thanks for the input everyone. Hope this is useful.

ROG.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
This problem iss not confined to ASIO4All.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi LynB,

I'm just passing on what tech support said. Rob could only get the problem to appear with ASIO4All so he assumed it was something to do with it being a wrapper and not a generic driver. I was looking to change my input path, so it's good to know that this might not make any difference, thanks. What system are you using?

ROG.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
I can say that on my system using native ASIO drivers & PT 12 all is fine.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Quote:

This problem iss not confined to ASIO4All.

I agree. I've used EMU 1212m & Tascam US1800 ASIO drivers & got the same buzz/distortions.

I too, am using PT2010. I did NOT have this problem in PT12 (Although both have other issues; e.g. terrible 'memory leaks' in XP SP3!).

My irritating but, play-thru effective 'buzz' work-around was

• to keep an "empty" track nearby (within an easy mouse click)
  • After I play thru, and my Buzz starts, I Solo the empty track & press play then stop & un-solo.
  • The Buzz stops & I can play/record again- until the play-thru ends. Then, I may need to redo the above.

In computer programming, this may indicate a Code Bug w/Win+ASIO. Some action is left UN-terminated (looped, etc), causing some Hardware to remain actively sending signals thru ASIO.

I'm curious, if PT2012 solved this issue.

"Everyday-Life changes, Sets get rearranges, & ALL the players change their costumes", Geo Benson's "New Day" (Shakespeare Paraphrase) * "Is all that we see or seem but dreams within dreams?" -Poe
PowerTracks Pro Audio
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Do you have RB? If so check it out and see it is also has the same problem. On my system PT is a little bit easier on the CPU than RB, but RB is still solid. I am on XP3 with M-Audio ASIO, and Tascam US 800 ASIO, neither have a buzz or distortion.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
PowerTracks Pro Audio
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
MoBuc.

Yeah, it's still the same on PT2012.

ROG.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Quote:

Do you have RB? ...

No. Not confident about venturing into it. I now, use my PTW for:

• some of the features that don't exists in another Sequencer that I have;
  • TC Halicon & a few other nice Plug-gins or tools;
  • Initial Quick & Dirty Drum ideas (MIDI & Real Drums);
  • And to export or render needed tracks saved in the .SEQ format.

It is relegated to a 'Tool' for me now. Sorry Pg. I ain't rich but I do need to get the job done.

"Everyday-Life changes, Sets get rearranges, & ALL the players change their costumes", Geo Benson's "New Day" (Shakespeare Paraphrase) * "Is all that we see or seem but dreams within dreams?" -Poe
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Quote:

MoBuc.

Yeah, it's still the same on PT2012.

ROG.

Thanks for the Heads-Up. I was gonna upgrade. I think, I'll continue as I am & monitor patches or PTW2013, or whatever.

Pity, I was attracted by many of the new features, cause they exists in my new primary DAW. Thus, a tiny learning curve.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
K
kje Offline
K
I have the same problem with distortion when "Allow IM effects recording (ASIO only)" is checked. This is annoying. By the way, BIAB should have direct input monitoring!

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
MoBuc, please take a few minutes and report this to support (even point them to this thread). You too ROG and kje. Between the three of you they will probably be able to narrow it down quite a bit.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
PowerTracks Pro Audio
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Reported this to support back in January and they're still working on it. To be fair to them, there are so many variables at work here, it must be a nightmare trying to sort it.

In the meantime, I posted a work-around earlier in this thread which involves an extra process, but also has advantages.

Looking forward to seeing what build 2 contains.

ROG.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
RB does not have this issue.On my system anyway. Just saying.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195