Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat,

Sounds like it worked out for you and the karaoke went really well. That's interesting about the songs. I'd like to hear more on that too.

If the video pegs the meter maybe you can capture a still shot so we can see you all set up. smile

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat,

There is an enormous item to mention. That gig will be remembered
by so many families for years to come. That in itself is invaluable
thing to have, those wonderful memories.

Glad it worked out well for you, and the Audience karaoke was a stroke
of genius.

Thanks for sharing!

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:
Also curious - which songs went over best, and which were you expecting to go over better that did not - and why do you think that is, in hindsight ?

I've always heard from other musicians that James Taylor goes over real well; but his voice has a quietness to it that is hard to reproduce unless you have a LOT more vocal control than any of us who were singing. The songs that went over best were naturally those that we pulled off the best, and all of those were sing-along songs that you can sing with gusto. Pretty much anything by CCR, John Denver etc. VEHICLE by Ides of March went over best... partly because it came at the end of the evening after folks had been drinking for 2 1/2 hours... but that song was also a good match for my voice.

As expected, Margaritaville was well received. Shambala by 3 Dog Night also went over real well.

Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
Here's the million dollar question - did the experience instill confidence and inspire you to want to do more ?

I am a hobbyist musician that has always had a fear of performing and not being well-received. Aside from the fact that it's hard to hold a day job, have a 'life' with your family, and also be an accomplished performing musician (I know many here do that) - I also attribute that fear to:
-- my strong love of music and fear of not doing justice to the songs that inspired me so
-- the unrealistic desire to live up to my own unrealistic expectations, and
-- the strongest of desires to please the audience, and the fear of not doing so

...just sharin' one person's neurotic fear of performance.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Joe V
Here's the million dollar question - did the experience instill confidence and inspire you to want to do more ?

I am a hobbyist musician that has always had a fear of performing and not being well-received. Aside from the fact that it's hard to hold a day job, have a 'life' with your family, and also be an accomplished performing musician (I know many here do that) - I also attribute that fear to:
-- my strong love of music and fear of not doing justice to the songs that inspired me so
-- the strongest of desires to please the audience, and the fear of not doing so

Joe V,

Anyone ever tell you "you think toooooo much"? just aim and fire man . . . pull the trigger man! You'll be glad when you do.

Later,

Later,

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
And do note the order there.

Ready, Aim, Fire.

Far too many do thus:

Ready, Fire, Aim.

--Mac

Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
regarding thinking too much...you're absolutely right

...I often say...I wish I could shut this thing off : )

You're advice is well taken, and slowly incorporated each and every day; thanks for reminding me.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Don't try to shut it off, Joe - work towards disciplining it.

A little each day.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

I think these are legitimate questions each person has to answer for himself. Based on forum discussions about performing, I know there are many opposing opinions about what the goal should be (artist? performer? entertainer? something else?) and also many different opnions about what is "good enough"

For me there is no "good enough" (to stop trying) but there *is* a sense of doing the best I can *today*, while continuing to improve for the next gig.

And, as Graham said in his own "first gig" thread... it isn't that we don't care anymore as much as we understand that forgetting the words or flubbing a chord change is NOT the worst thing that can happen.

Rational fear leads to preparation... Irrational fear leads to abandonment. Pick your path.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
regarding the idea of not being well-received:

I think it's fair to say that no performance is universally praised. Even professionals get bad reviews.

I view the audience's opinions as though they were plotted along a circle. No matter where you are on the circle, there's somebody diametrically opposed to you that will hate what you're doing.

But there will also be people on your side of the circle, and they will like what you like. Play to those people and accept that the others have a right to their own opinions.

But remember that their opinions reflect on THEM more than on YOU

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat,

You said . . . "VEHICLE by Ides of March went over best".

I would love to hear, if indeed it was done in BIAB, what and how you did that arrangement in BIAB of this classic song.

Later,

Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
"VEHICLE by Ides of March went over best"

Now I couldn't recognize that song by title, after a quick YouTube search - I have heard it before, and I love it.

Anything with an energetic horn section has a good chance at being a good crowd-pleaser, and this song of course rocks. I can see that one going over big.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Danny C.
Pat,

You said . . . "VEHICLE by Ides of March went over best".

I would love to hear, if indeed it was done in BIAB, what and how you did that arrangement in BIAB of this classic song.

Later,

Due to the fact that most cover songs with horns tend to have very specific horn arrangements, I check karaoke suppliers before I spend a lot of time trying to reinvent the wheel. My backing track for VEHICLE came from a supplier I just discovered recently. (When you buy a song from them, you get individual tracks which you can rearrange/remix any way you want. I typically omit the guitar so I can play that myself.)

here's a link to the place
http://www.karaoke-version.com/custombackingtrack/

here's a link to their version of VEHICLE:
http://www.karaoke-version.com/custombackingtrack/the-ides-of-march/vehicle.html

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

No secret here, this is a favorite site on my play list.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
"VEHICLE by Ides of March went over best"

Now I couldn't recognize that song by title, after a quick YouTube search - I have heard it before, and I love it.

Anything with an energetic horn section has a good chance at being a good crowd-pleaser, and this song of course rocks. I can see that one going over big.

because most bands play songs that contain guitar, drums, bass and keyboard, these classics with brass haven't been played to death like so many other songs. Since backing tracks provide the ability to play ANYTHING, it makes sense to focus on such songs and bring something to the crowd that's different yet familiar.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

No secret here, this is a favorite site on my play list.

Gee Dan! Ya shoulda SAID something a long time ago! The ability to remix a song with all of its tracks is a real advantage... especially if you are already accustomed to working with songs at that level (as everybody here is)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat, I tried to do a search to see how many years ago and how ofter this site has been called out by me and others here in the forum. But search does not work well. So you have to trust me on this one.

So yes the site is indeed very cool, For $1.99 USD you can have a note for note multitrack backing. But, to tell you the truth I prefer rolling my own in BIAB - just gives me so much more flexiblity with the tune.

And I have never been able to really integrate the individual tracks (to get those song specific licks) into a BIAB version. Just real hard to match tempo and timing. I would love to hear what you can do with it if you try to incorporate some tracks along with BIAB tracks.

Last edited by jazzmandan; 06/10/13 05:59 PM.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Pat great site.

Later,

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,627
Posts735,222
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Steve Smith, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185