You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#206292 - 06/14/13 03:30 PM [User Showcase] Interesting co-write! Singin' Along/Blue Skies
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

This was another really interesting song-writing co-write experience for me. I composed this song called Singin’ Along using BIAB. It was composed in response to a request for a song for an advert. They wanted a happy-go-lucky acoustic song about friends hanging out on a summer’s day.

Singin' Along

The lyrics are on soundcloud, real tracks are

RealTracks in song: ~1205:Bass, Acoustic, GypsyJazzBallad Sw 110 ('A' Only)
RealTracks in song: 606:Guitar, Nylon, Chet Fishin' Sw 120
RealTracks in song: ~1142:Ukulele, Strumming FolkSwing Sw 110
MIDI Drums :1 Standard Drum Kit (1)

I took the song to a friend of mine who is a professional singer-songwriter and asked her if she wanted to collaborate on it. She has a lovely voice that I thought would be perfect for the concept. She agreed and here’s what she came up with. The name changed to Blue Skies because she recommended something with a image in the title. Absolutely wonderful what she managed to do with the song and an excellent lesson for me! Now If I could only sing like that!!!

Blue Skies

#206315 - 06/14/13 05:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Interesting co-write! Singin' Along/Blue Skies [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Joanne,

I thoroughly enjoyed both versions. I listened to "Singing Along" first. You certainly managed to capture the sound of "happy-go-lucky on a summer's day". Kudos for that.

It was good to hear that your vibe set the tone for the co-write. Your colleague took the song to a whole new place and it sounded terrific on every level - performance, production, arrangement.

It didn't matter which version I played, I found that I couldn't stop smiling while I listened!

Regards,
Noel

#206320 - 06/14/13 07:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Interesting co-write! Singin' Along/Blue Skies [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Joanne,

you totally reached the aim of a happy-go-lucky acoustic song. Enjoyable listen. Beautiful voice and nice harmonies.
But I'm sorry to admit that the second version has blown me away. No wonder she's a professional.

Guenter

#206325 - 06/14/13 09:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Interesting co-write! Singin' Along/Blue Skies [Re: JoanneCooper]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hi Joanne,

I enjoyed both versions. The chorus is universal and so infectuous. Feels good, easy to sing along. Your co-writer's lyric changes and production are a fab fit for an ad - sounds totally young hip and today. Absolutely love it. I think ya'll should do very well with that and would be surprised if you don't get a placement. It stayed with me and I sincerely give you both the highest compliment I can give you on this collab - which is - dang, I wish I'd written that one! grin

#206333 - 06/15/13 12:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: Interesting co-write! Singin' Along/Blue Skies [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: Kentucky
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
Another fine piece of music, well performed and produced. Love the harmony in the chorus. Thanks for sharing!

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#206369 - 06/15/13 10:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: Interesting co-write! Singin' Along/Blue Skies [Re: JoanneCooper]
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Noel- Thanks for the comments. I must say it was very satisfying to see how she used my song as a base and improved on it. I think the addition of the simple but catchy pre-chorus was a major one.

Guenter - no need to apologise that you preferred her version. So did I! It really was a great experience and something to aspire to.

Josie - Thanks for the highest compliment. We are holding thumbs!

Robert - Thanks for the kind words

#206389 - 06/15/13 12:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: Interesting co-write! Singin' Along/Blue Skies [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: USA
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: USA
I liked both versions but IMHO the later version vocal seems to be the style I am hearing on the radio more and more from young female singers these days. I guess it is because that is what is hot at this point in time.

Good Song!

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#206424 - 06/15/13 03:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Interesting co-write! Singin' Along/Blue Skies [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Big quotation marks around everything that has been said already, followed by an equally big exclamation point!

Both versions of the song really hit the mark for giving the listener a "shoes kicked off and nothin' much to do while a cool breeze accents an otherwise sunny day" feel.

The main difference to my ear is stylistic. Like it or not, we all tend to model our performances on some static point in music history. Whereas most of your songs sound remarkably like the female singers you probably listened to for most of your life, your collaborator does too... except she has been listening to different singers.

Its worth noting that by the time a "style" becomes recognizeable, it is already cliche-ridden. In that sense, your collaborator's approach is not more innovative than yours, it just appeals to a cliche that is still being imitated.

Having said all that, I want to ask why your signature still says "ASPIRING singer-songwriter" ??? Such wording implies that you HOPE to sing and write songs some day... but you are already doing both. (I think it should just list your name, and let your work speak for itself)

#206436 - 06/15/13 05:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: Interesting co-write! Singin' Along/Blue Skies [Re: Pat Marr]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
A Big +1 to everything that has been said!

I real feel good toe tapper.

Both version are good but I favor the second version. With your song writing skills and her vocals and arranging you two could go far IMHO.

PS - why not sing harmony with her?

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#206552 - 06/16/13 01:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: Interesting co-write! Singin' Along/Blue Skies [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Joanne -

Both versions are nice. You did a great job of "setting this up" and your reading of it has that wonderfully unique "Joanne sound" to it. Your partner did a great job of adding touches that took it to a new place (that pre-chorus is an excellent add).

Keep it up. You are on a roll!

floyd

#206765 - 06/18/13 01:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: Interesting co-write! Singin' Along/Blue Skies [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Great collab -- enjoyed it. I agree with Floyd re the pre-chorus being a nice touch. The evolution of the tune is fascinating....my only tiny nit? For ole pharts like me who've listened to the ABB's "Blue Skies" for decades it's hard to get their melody and intro out of my head.

#206803 - 06/18/13 09:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: Interesting co-write! Singin' Along/Blue Skies [Re: JoanneCooper]
FLCntryGuy Offline
Enthusiast

Nice sounding versions. Almost sounds the latter version from the Apple Commercial singer. :-)

Nice base for the second to build on. Great job!

Win8.1x64, BnaB 2015 415, ProTools 10/11, Digidesign 003

www.smearedmustard.com

#207046 - 06/21/13 09:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Interesting co-write! Singin' Along/Blue Skies [Re: JoanneCooper]
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Hi Guys
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. My internet connection has been (and still is) painfully slow and I wanted to listen all the new submissions before replying….but my patience with my internet connection has run out..

Danny. I am glad you were finally able to listen. And thanks for commenting.

Pat. Thanks for such thoughtful comments. I appreciate it. It made me think about the style of female artists I have been listening to all my life and I am definitely going to go through my CD collection and pull out those artists and really analyze WHY I like them so much. BTW. I have removed the “Aspiring” from my signature.

Mario –thanks for listening. I did offer to do the harmonies but time was not on our side so it was easier for her just to do them

Floyd – glad you liked it. You have inspired me to compose “happy” songs

Bud – Thanks and I tried to listen to AAB Blue skies but my internet connection is not allowing me to do much…will let you know what I think when I can finally watch some youtube again!

Jim – Thanks for listening and commenting

Edited by jo131 (06/21/13 09:29 AM)

#207056 - 06/21/13 11:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: Interesting co-write! Singin' Along/Blue Skies [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Joanne !

I just loved this performance !
I think this is what they call
a " cracker" ? Superb in every way !:)

Cheers
Dani

#207690 - 06/27/13 03:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: Interesting co-write! Singin' Along/Blue Skies [Re: JoanneCooper]
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Hi Dani
Thanks for listening and for commenting.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2021 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 für Windows® ist hier!
Wir waren fleißig und haben 80 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 202 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI-SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles", RealDrums Transkriptionen, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10 und vieles mehr!

Was ist neu? | Paket

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows - New Intro Options!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2021 there are additional options for generating an intro!

Within Band-in-a-Box, choose Song Form | Generate Intro to see all the different options available:
-All Instruments
-Drums only
-Bass and Drums
-NEW! Bass only
-NEW! Bass then Bass & Drums
-NEW! Drums then Bass & Drums
-NEW! Piano Only
-NEW! Guitar Only
-NEW! Strings Only
-NEW! Custom - you pick!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac Update Available!

We've updated our Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac to enhance Big Sur and M1 capabilities, improve the notation window, resolve AIFF rendering errors, as well as addressing a few other user-reported issues.

Using Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac? Update for free today.

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2021!

Already purchased PowerTracks Pro Audio 2021? Make sure you update it for free today!

Our development team has been listening to user feedback, and applied some updates to address user-reported program concerns.

Learn more...

Band-in-a-Box® Guitar Features!

Today* is Get Out Your Guitar Day!

Band-in-a-Box® has many features for guitarists, whether you're learning or on your way to being a pro, or you are a pro!

Are you using an UltraPAK+ or own the Songs & Lessons PAK? Lessons from our Master Solos Series can be accessed right in the Practice Window! (Alt Shift L)

Use the resizable Guitar Window to follow-along with the on-screen fretboard, which is customizable to displays alternate guitar tunings, notes are highlighted as the song plays, and includes many more useful features for to help you learn!

The Woodshedding feature is perfect to help you progress while learning a song along with Band-in-a-Box®! This feature speeds up the song every time the song loops to the beginning, and you can also choose to loop a highlighted section within the song to really focus on the you could use a little more practice with.

Most of our guitar RealTracks include RealCharts so that you can see the notation and tab, allowing you to see exactly what the pros are playing!

A Band-in-a-Box® 2021 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition includes over 1,400 guitar RealTracks contributed by more than 50 different REAL musicians!

There are so many things a guitarist can do with Band-in-a-Box® - what's your favorite guitar feature? Do you have a "go-to" RealTracks Guitarist Artist you use for most of your songs?

*February 11, 2021

Big Sur & M1 Compatibility Added to Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac today!

Here at PG Music, development never stops! If you're using the 2020 version of Band-in-a-Box® for Mac with your Big Sur or a Mac M1 computer, download the latest update which adds support for macOS Big Sur, and is compatible with Apple Silicon (M1) Macs!

This update will also resolve any color display issues within the program, resize the windows without unexpectedly closing the program, add notation enhancements, and resolve a few other user-reported issues!

Download & learn more about the updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac.

Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows for Free!

Using Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows? Download the latest free update today!

With this latest update, notation display in Japanese has been enhanced, improvements have been applied to Bar and Song Settings, the MIDI volume change events will now be included in exported MIDI files, you can now import the lyrics with your MIDI files, export Utility Tracks notation as video, and we've resolved additional user-reported issues.

Make sure you download your latest Band-in-a-Box 2021 for Windows update today!

Tip: Head to Help | Check for Update... to put a checkmark beside "Automatically check for updates every..." and choose your day count to always stay up-to-date with your installation of Band-in-a-Box®!

Forum Stats
33973 Members
67 Forums
68369 Topics
586179 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
musicalriver, RFairchild, dbpetit, hippias, Wes37

33972 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 217
dcuny 191