Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Matt and John recent meeting revived my interest re: this topic.

I stated a few years ago that a get together with forum members would be wonderful. My wife and I had the pleasure of meeting and dining with (my twin from a different mother and father) Mario and his bride a couple of months ago. Great get together to say the least.

How great would it be to have say a regional get together maybe every few years? And a bigger national meeting once every ten years or so?

Hurry up as that ten year meeting is starting to be a real stretch for some of us.

Now I'll ask for your opinions, but before you give them let me say we all know why this would be tough to organize so please dwell on the positive with your thoughts and suggestions and not why it won't work.

Thanks,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Danny,

you're a mind reader! I was just thinking the same thing.

I agree that putting it off for too long is risky, given the average age of the forum regulars. But making it too soon would exclude some because of existing vacation plans.

I think if we set a date and place about 1 or 2 years out, people will have plenty of time to plan for it. June 2015, for example, would be good for me because I will have just retired and neither time nor money would be an obstacle yet.

A good location for a SouthEastern USA meeting would be Atlanta, which is the home of at least one forum member, and in reasonable driving distance from Fla, Lousisiana, North Carolina etc.

Or, we could include the entire East coast, in which Case NC would be almost the middle. There are at least 4 or 5 forum members in NC

Other Ideas:

1) plan a cruise, and anybody who wants to come could make reservations on the same cruise. That would open it up to a much larger attendance

2) rent a beach house or mountain cabin and extend an open invitation to the forum. (it would be a good idea to get a head count in advance so the rental could be appropriately sized)

3) Maybe PGMusic would host something. I'd be willing to attend on my own dime if the official nature of the event lured a larger crowd. But it would probably be most workable for the West Coast contingency

Any of these ideas should include some provision for jamming or at least entertaining with our own trax

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I know of four members in the Atlanta area, including myself; I've met two and corresponded with the other. The only reason a meet might not work for me would be travel expenses, but I'd do anything I could to attend one locally.

It would be worthwhile giving some consideration on how to promote such an event outside of the forums, or they could be mighty small meetings. PG Music might or might not be willing to provide space on their site. Would craigslist be a reasonable choice?

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'd prefer to keep it going this way, via posts on the forum, where it would be accessible to all forum members.

I think Craigs List could get weird... besides which fact, 90dB might cross post our thread and make fun of us

wink

Last edited by Pat Marr; 06/15/13 01:07 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
I'd prefer to keep it going this way, via posts on the forum, where it would be accessible to all forum members.

I think Craigs List could get weird... besides which fact, 90dB might cross post our thread and make fun of us

wink

I agree. Who knows whom we will get if this is put up on Craigs List.

I would suggest this take place next year. It might be held in a large hotel with a dining room and maybe a conference room. Reservations would not be an issue if the city and place is chosen early enough.

Also maybe one meeting in the East at the same time one is held in the West, possible for both the USA and Canada. Couple this with conference rooms and Tele-conferencing this might include more of us.

Just a though.

Last edited by MarioD; 06/15/13 01:49 PM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Also maybe one meeting in the East at the same time one is held in the West, possible for both the USA and Canada. Couple this with conference rooms and Tele-conferencing this might include more of us.

hey that's a great idea! If the two get togethers were held at places with WI-FI, a laptop at each event plus Skype would be a very inexpensive way to make it happen!

What this idea needs is someone to assume responsibility for the project (on both coasts) so things actually happen instead of just being discussed then forgotten.

A solid date is the first thing to nail down so people who work can schedule vacation time well in advance. Location can come later

We should also collect a list of potential attendees. That number would decide pretty quickly whether we'd need a coliseum or a beach house for the meeting.

Put my name on the list as an attendee (but I'm a terrible planner)

Last edited by Pat Marr; 06/15/13 03:08 PM.
Off-Topic
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
Just a suggestion:

I see that the month of June was mentioned.
The Canadian kids are still in school that month.
Perhaps July or early August would work better.

Oh, and count me in.
I'm also retired and always on the lookout for an adventure <grin>.

LLOYD S

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Skype is the only possibility for me but count me in.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor

I'm not a skype user so I don't know its capabilities...

is it (or any other such app) capable of connecting multiple people at thes same time? Maybe we don't even need the expense of a physical trip to meet each other. I'm imagining a Brady Bunch / Hollywood Squares interface in which we all have our own little corner of the screen, and we can throw paper airplanes at each other.

wink

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor

BUT....
what if the party came to YOU? Hmmm? what then?

We could gang up on the bad-ministrator and dump him on the floor

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I realize that the subject line says "forum members," but I immediately thought of BIAB users in general, which is why I made the craigslist suggestion. Would there be interest in opening meetings up to the larger community and, if so, what would be the most effective way of spreading the word? (I have no objection to limiting it to forumites, I'm just raising the question.)

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ryszard
I realize that the subject line says "forum members," but I immediately thought of BIAB users in general, which is why I made the craigslist suggestion. Would there be interest in opening meetings up to the larger community and, if so, what would be the most effective way of spreading the word? (I have no objection to limiting it to forumites, I'm just raising the question.)

I can only speak for myself, but the main incentive for enduring the expense of a trip would be to meet people I feel like I know due to the many hours of interaction on the forum.

I would probably not allocate precious vacation time or travel money to meet strangers just because we use the same music software.

But the people on the forum have made me laugh, made me think, encouraged me when my wife died, made me say WOW to their music... I do want to meet some of them before I'm on the other side of the grass, and I'm willing to spend time and money to do so.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
http://www.guidingtech.com/8397/liveminutes-web-conferencing/

a free web based multi-user video chat service
(web based would make it accessible to all operating systems such as Windows, Mac, Ubuntu, Android, iPad etc, so nobody would be excluded)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It seems to me the center of the Universe (at least here in US - is Chicago grin), hay, that is where I live crazy. So sounds like some weekend gathering at my place is in order. hehe.

[img:center]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eyfeypkpv1wibmw/biabusermap.JPG?
[/img]

BIAB User Map]Signup on the BIAB user map!

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well now we have a real problem - the "insert image" is apparently not working in the new forum! Anyone had success with this feature? cry

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
So far so good, however there are a few of us in the UK or other countries outside of America where travel to America becomes a nightmare or just impossible for financial or other reasons.
In our cases though either skype or other web based conferencing may well be a possibility, but do bear in mind time zone differences!
Such things as early morning West coast America, is afternoon here in the UK, and by the time you over there are having an evening drink with friends, I will have been in bed for some time.
Just thought I would throw in my two pence/cents worth.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Some great ideas and thoughts . . . my favorite is to get something booked no later than 1 year or so away. You know attention span :>

I really like the regional ideas depending on the number of users who would attend.

Anyway some great ideas as thought starters, as pointed out (by I think Pat)I guess the 1st thing we need is a leader or leaders to take charge.

Personally with enough notice I would attend anything within the Atlanta area, or even any of the adjacent states. Keep the ideas coming.

Thanks all for your interest.

Later,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
so far it looks like the following ideas are in general agreement:

1) July, August or Sept 2014 would be a good target time frame

2) small regional meetings interconnected with skype or other multi-user video chat program would greatly increase the number of participants

3) European participants may be able to access the multi-user video conference remotely, and/or have their own regional get-together

4) Atlanta works as the South Eastern meeting place

5 to be determined:
a) meeting places for other parts of the country and Europe
b) a more specific date
c) software to be used for video conferencing
d) person(s) to assume responsibility of coordinating the details for each location (preferably someone local to the site)

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
so far it looks like the following ideas are in general agreement:

1) July, August or Sept 2014 would be a good target time frame

2) small regional meetings interconnected with skype or other multi-user video chat program would greatly increase the number of participants

3) European participants may be able to access the multi-user video conference remotely, and/or have their own regional get-together

4) Atlanta works as the South Eastern meeting place

5 to be determined:
a) meeting places for other parts of the country and Europe
b) a more specific date
c) software to be used for video conferencing
d) person(s) to assume responsibility of coordinating the details for each location (preferably someone local to the site)

Pat,

I know you put a lot of thought into this (here comes da but) but what I was thinking just an informal whoever can make it type get together. No conferences, no skype hook-ups, nothing formal. Just a time and place to shake the hand and hug the ladies of the forum. Or at the most a planned big group lunch or dinner.

I suggest start with a poll for us here in the Eastern or even South Eastern Region to determine the number of people who would attend, choice of location/city and date.

As far as a coordinator is concerned I would hope someone from the destination city would step up and call a few shots or at least be a point man or lady.

By using the outcome of the poll we can determine where, when and who is coming.

Then each individual will be responsible for handling their own travel and hotel plans. Other than that we can play it by ear to determine what is done with any free time if available.

I'll start by placing the following poll on the forum:

Please rate your interest in attending a regional informal get together with other Forum Members sometime within the next 12 or so months.

Hey who knows, we may end up with a very small luncheon for two or two hundred. Either way I am in if the dates and destination work.

Make sense?

Later,

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,514
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195