Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The guitar work on this is all courtesy of Rodney Gene (TexasHeartRush).

I did a version of this song on my first CD about a year ago. That was before I had BIAB.
Since I had played everything on the original version, I thought I might be able to improve on it using the BIAB musicians.
That was working out pretty well. Some nice drums, bass and electric guitars that were WAY better played than what I can do. I recorded some acoustic guitars to give it some sheen.

Rodney had heard the origianl and suggested that if I ever re-worked it, that he might help out.
I sent him what I had, with the electric guitars removed so he could "work his magic".
He asked that I remove the acoustics (so they weren't in his way).
He then suggested that he lay in the bass track as well, so I removed the original of that, too.
Which left the drums and vocals.
He then asked if it was okay for him to "tighten up" the drums - well, yeah! (Not sure what that involved).

After all that, I added in some piano (RealTracks), and voila!

WRONG MAILBOX

Guitars by Rodney Gene (TexasHeartRush)
Bass by Rodney Gene (TexasHeartRush)

RealTracks in song: 1726:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm HonkyTonkJohn Ev 120
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleEven8^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

The harmonies are mostly me... with the BIABettes mixed in low.

Crank it up! Hope you enjoy it. Comments encouraged.

floyd

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
ha, ha, totally fantastic. It amazing how the smallest things can set big events into motion -- especially in a song. Super arrangement and that guy is some kind of guitar player. Great vocals in there, too.

They are bashing BIAB again over at JPF, I ought to send 'em your way!

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hey, what a great track - you guys are really rocking on this one!

Loved the story line and both the playing and vocals were well up to scratch.

As usual, a very professional mix and presentation.

ROG.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
so very tight, great mix. and the lyrics tell a wonderful story. from the vocals to the mix to the lyric... A+!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rocking mix. Great picking and singing guys. Floyd when's the movie coming out? grin

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
well Floyd,

if that song were a game of billiards, it would have been like sinking every ball on the break!

There are a bunch of ways a song can succeed or fail, and this collaboration has gotten all of them right.

The performances (your singing and Rodney's guitar playing) were not only in the pocket, but they were also very tastefully woven together into a mix that sounds like its supposed to be heard together (not all songs manage to accomplish that)

I was particularly impressed by the clever rhymes and even the way you chose words to create a very unique mood for the song. In spite of the fact that country songs are a dime a dozen, I can honestly say I've never heard anything quite like that. To my ears it is a highly original offering in a genre that has just about been exhausted for fresh ideas.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd and Rodney,

What an amazing piece of music! This has "success" written all over it on every aspect of the song - music, lyrics, production, singing, soloing, backing, mixing, etc., etc., etc.

Rodney: your playing is exceptional. Your tracks enhance Floyd's singing and lyrics incredibly well. To my ears, it's a "hand and glove" kind of perfect fit.

Floyd: I have to say that these lyrics are some of the best I've heard. Full stop (that's Aussie for "period"). They are absolutely brilliant, incredibly creative and must have taken ages to assemble. When I look at what you've written, I see a textbook example of how to use carefully considered alliteration to enhance the singability and memorability of a song. The thing is, when I listened to the song, I only picked up a bit of alliteration here and there and smiled at its quirky cleverness. When I read the lyrics though, I could see that alliteration is the cement that holds the song's brickwork together. Wow!!! And then all those inner rhymes! .... As I've already said, these lyrics must have taken ages to assemble.

I really hope this song goes places for the both of you. Do you have an account on American Song Space? It's free. The site is owned by "American Songwriter" magazine and is frequented by publishers. It might pay dividends to post there as well as here. I once had a song picked up from American Song Space by a publisher.

Ok. It's time to have another listen.

I'm awestruck!!!!!
Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 06/28/13 11:59 AM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd
I remember enjoying your video of this one pre-BIAB. Great song and the guitar playing is great!

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Holey Moley. Good golly Miss Molly. That one was a rippa!

Regards,

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hi Floyd and jane that was smokeing good guys super job and production thanks eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hey, what a great track - you guys are really rocking on this one!
Loved the story line and both the playing and vocals were well up to scratch.
As usual, a very professional mix and presentation.

I love your harmonies. And Rodney has really "tightened up" the drums. That's such a great sound in my Stax headphones.
I'm just going to my third listen.

Guenter

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks for posting it. Great tune smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Floyd !

Very pro all through !
I was especially taken by
the superb lyrics, but I
can also appreciate the
immense work you must have
put into the arrangement
and performance alike !
Admirable !

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey Guys,

Great job, excellent collaboration! Very tight, well arranged, good mix.
I thought it was outstanding! grin

Greg

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Great job Floyd!~ And thanks for the compliments all. Its easy to play well on a good written song and this is a fun tune!

I haven't heard the final version till now. The guitars are now more squished/compressed than I left them / handed them over haha! (Might be 2 BUSS compression) laugh As a tone sensitive guitar player its not my choice for 'tone' per se as it loses natural bite and dynamics to some degree. I notice a couple peculiar guitar track cut/paste creativeness in the end of the tune from what I think were original practice takes. Hmmmmm... smile Clever Floyd.

Actually the bass line was great fun to write and play. There is more happening here than can be heard. Cool stuff either way. Keep up the good work Floyd!

Cheers!~

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Actually going back to my original sent tracks, they were over compressed by error. I remember sending the wrong tracks during a busy week and having to re-render a couple days later. This is not the way they were meant to be heard. It would be great to correct this. 'Tone' is SO MUCH for country guitar and this is a classic 90s tone in its original form.

Its difficult to make this tune sound less than great though this version just sounds like Stereo Buss compression took the guitars tracks over the top. My fault with the original tracks. crazy

Cheers~

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow!

later,

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yep, super job all around. Amazing what a little "tightening up" can do. wink

The only nit I'd have is the line "put a letter in the wrong mailbox", not because it called Ye Olden Times (before email) but because it called to mind someone mailing a letter.

Something like "slipped a love note" would have clarified it.

But again... super job.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Mean.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Floyd: What version of BIAB do you have? Is it the audiophile edition? I am just looking for another reason as to why your stuff sounds sooooooo much better than mine! (Ha ha)

Last edited by Kemmrich; 06/29/13 05:54 AM.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,463
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195