Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi all,

Brenda and I wrote "Dancing and Dreaming" a few years ago. When I listened to the original version again recently, I thought it needed a bit of polishing. So I got out BIAB, Realband and Reaper, and set to work.

If you get a chance to have a listen, all thoughts are welcome about any aspect of the work.

...link to song on Vimeo (video/audio)

Regards,
Noel (and Brenda)

PREVIOUS SONG: ...link to "I Can See Tomorrow"

BIAB DETAILS

RT 587 Sax, Tenor
RT 938, Guitar
RT 920, Piano
RT 921, Bass

Strings: Dimension Pro (1st violins + 2nd violins 8va)

Realdrums: BossaRock Percussion

LYRICS

Dancing And Dreaming
© 2013 Noel Adams & Brenda Smith. All rights reserved.

Dancing and dreaming
In gentle arms
Dancing and dreaming
The music charms
I don't care what tomorrow brings
Right now it's springtime

Dancing and dreaming
I'm like a fire
Dancing and dreaming
And burning higher
This is all I want to do
Dreaming and dancing with you

Can this be love?
I'm spinning around
Can this be love?
I'm floating way above the ground

Dancing and dreaming
Tonight's divine
Dancing and dreaming
My valentine
It's a really spectacular view
Dreaming and dancing with you

[TAG]
A really spectacular view
The night, the music, and you
And you

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 01/19/17 11:29 AM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel, nice work. You are one(two) talented dude/mate/buddy/pal/bloke/cowboy/friend/amigo/com padre/kemo therapy/ad infinitum. More please?

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Noel & Brenda !

What a sweet song !
I enjoyed it very much !:)

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Noel!

Now it's my turn - I'm blown away! A terrific song. Nice, compact lines. People (meaning writers) often overlook the power of short, tight phrases. You (and Brenda) have done that so very well all the way through. This is my all-time 2nd favorite of yours (ha! - as Kevin would say...)

The production/instrumentation is PERFECT. The strings are tasteful and perfectly placed - used to full advantage. It all fit the song to a t.

The tag is delightful!

But let's talk about that vocal. OMG!!! It's spectacular!!! You need to write in that range all the time! When you started singing the verse you were immediately dressed in a tuxedo a drink in one hand the other hand resting on the grand piano - a wink to your piano player.... Who knew??? I've always thought you could sing. Now I know you can REALLY sing!!

Blown away.

floyd

User Showcase
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Noel:

I really enjoyed this one. Nice tight lyrics and the music fit it mood very well. Good Job.

How did you do the graphics for the video?

John

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd's comment about the tuxedo resonates here too... the song is just so dang CLASSY, and you pulled it off like a pro!

I can easily see this song being licensed for a movie!

The backing track sounds very natural too.. you did a great job of selecting the most appropriate RT snippets for each part of the song.

And, is that an original chord progression? Very nice, and appropriate to the mood of the song.

<rubber stamp>
     another winner from Noel...no Surprise
</rubber stamp>

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I remember this one - sounds great Noel. Cool graphics on the video too.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel,

It's all been said, I like everything about this production.

Later,

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Michael B eat your heart out - great tune Noel, well vocalised, well written and well produced. Methinks you do hide you light under a bushel wink . Post more of these.

Dennis

User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Don,

Thank you for having a listen and thank you, too, for the kind words. I can see Brenda smiling when she reads them. Also, it's great to see you back on deck. You really are an inspiration, you know. Not just because you're oirish, either wink

May good things come your way!
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Dani,

It's always good to see your thoughtful looking avatar pop up in a thread. Thank you for having a listen. Appreciate it. I'm glad you liked it!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Howdy Floyd,

I'm not quite sure what to say! Your comments have taken me by surprise.

Firstly, I'm not so sure that I'm really a singer. Unlike you, I still need to manually tune an odd note here and there. I guess that rules out taking my show on the road! I'd better keep the day job smile

The thing is that if I want to get my songs out and about, I need to sing them. Since people judge a song by its singer, I also need to sound ok - enter ReaTune (a Reaper plugin) and Nectar. I don't use these plugins to drastically modify my voice, just to polish it up a bit. I guess it's the ladies' equivalent of putting on make-up to go out. What really, really gets me enthusiastic is the writing, the arranging and the mixing!

It's interesting that you mention the range. Surprisingly, the range is not so different from what I usually sing; it's just that it's got more black notes in it than usual. The key is Eb. I have to say that I like this key because my voice definitely feels comfortable in it. Maybe that's what it is! It probably comes from being a piano player. I've found that the key of Eb sits nicely under the fingers and it's one of my favourites to play in.

Thank you for your uplifting comments. Who knows, I might be a singer yet!!!

All the best,
Noel

P.S. Brenda will be over the moon when she reads your thoughts! We actually chose to keep the word limit down in these lyrics. It seemed to work better with the style we were chasing.

P.P.S. I don't know if you've ever read Philip Furia's book, "Poets of Tin Pan Alley". If not, it's worth reading. While it covers some music, the book mostly looks at the major lyricists of this genre and gives a valuable insight into their creativity.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi John,

Thank you for having a watch and a listen. Your comments are much appreciated!

In relation to the video ...

I'm always searching the 'net and looking for royalty free graphics (images and video clips). When I find something, I save it for later use.

The video was assembled using Open Shot - a Linux-based, multitrack video editor (it's opensource freeware). I used it to put some video clips together and simply dissolved from one clip into the next. So that the clips would be the right length for the song section, I had to slow most of them down to 1/2 or 1/3 speed.

I'm a firm believe in Freeware smile I'm not sure what free video editors are around for Windows but if you are looking for one, make sure that it is non-linear and that it has multiple video tracks.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Pat,

Once again, "Thank you!"

Maybe after all these years of 'trying' to be a singer, things are starting to happen!!! I'm not quite sure that I'm ready to do away with the odd spot of manually tuning my vocals here and there yet, though. One day, maybe.

This song was started with a chord progression from a BIAB demo song for the midi-based style BosaNew.sty. In this case, the style's tempo was also used. I modified the progression to suit the song as it developed. Have a look at the graphics below and you'll see where and how I changed the progression. (You'll also see that I prefer to use a 1-chorus, linear approach to songwriting rather than BIAB's '3x Chorus' default. I mention this in case any new users are reading this post.)

Fig 1: Initial chord progression - obtained from the demo for BosaNew.sty

Fig 2: Final chord progression.

Once I had the chords in place, I changed to another style (as you can see) to get a sonic basis for the song that included some realtracks. I then played around with many different realtracks before I settled on those listed.

Hope this helps give some insight into the songwriting process used! I have to say that BIAB's demo songs can be a great starting place . They're a real asset for a songwriter when inspiration is needed.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Josie,

Thanks for commenting on the song again! That's going above and beyond the call of duty.

I'm finding that musically I'm in a very different place these days and when I listen to some of my older work, I often hear room for improvement - hence these "new productions" that are popping up smile

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Danny,

Once again I thank you! I know that if Brenda was a member of these forums, she'd also be thanking you. Your visits are always appreciated. Drop in anytime!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Dennis,

Good to see you. Thank you for the positive comments. This is a period in music history that really appeals to me. It was an incredibly defining time in popular music development. If you ever get the chance to read "Poets of Tin Pan Alley" (see the PPS in my reply to Floyd), you'll get an amazing insight into the lyric genius that helped to create this genre.

Best regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey Noel, yvw. The comments were well deserved smile

Yes I will try and find that title and have a read. Those stories always have lots to tell.

Cheers

Dennis

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I can't fault the song, production etc etc.
It is nice to see, in the later post, that you work as I do...but we don't half get different results!!!!

The writers of Tin Pan Alley were my musical diet as I grew up, with a side order of Rock and Roll, as my Dad's cousin was a guitarist in a Big Band and he gave me some lessons and some sheet music. I failed many exams thanks to the sheet music blush

enjoyed the song, Did Brenda write the words??

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Noel,

It's all been said. I like everything about this song.

Guenter

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,469
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195