Options
Index
#208437 - 07/03/13 08:48 AM [User Showcase] Nobody's Fault But Mine
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

NOBODY'S FAULT BUT MINE

Nobody’s Fault is based on a 19th century, likely slavery times, African-American spiritual for which countless derivatives have been performed by everybody from Led Zeppelin to Johnny Cash. I think the reference to being “taught to read” helps confirm the slavery period origins of the song given that slaves were forbidden to learn reading skills.

We added some chords, wrote some new lines, put it in a minor key and produced this interpretation featuring a Celtic rhythm section.

“Nobody’s Fault is in the public domain; consequently, we own all rights to this interpretation, i.e., it is not a ‘cover.”

Janice: Vocal, Rodes NT1 mic interfaced via Blue Icicle to my iMac
Mixing/Effects: Garageband
Drums: Celtic Bodhran
Bass: Celtic Hornpipe 1411
Rhythm Guitar: Celtic Hornpipe 1412
Dobro: Western Swing Double Time 1870
Rhythm Mandolin: Bluegrass 599 Double Time
Lead Mandolin: Western Swing Double Time 1864
Rhythm Fiddle: Western Swing Double Time 1296
Lead Fiddle: Western Swing Double Time 1873
Banjo: Rock Ballad 1035

The solo Fiddle, solo Mandolin and bass tracks were cut and spliced from multiple BIAB regenerations.

Thanks for listening!

Bud & Janice

Recent songs:
TRYIN'
STATE LINES
THE HEARTACHE LINE

Edited by Janice & Bud (07/03/13 04:59 PM)
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#208439 - 07/03/13 10:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: Nobody's Fault But Mine [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Love it Bud!

You couldn't find much better of a PD song to showcase Janice's mournful blues. And your musical sensibilities about what to leave in and what to cut out are very well honed. You cut with the precision of a song surgeon!

Hey, Didn't I ask you to submit something that sucks??? Jeez!

If y'all keep raising the bar, I'll NEVER have the nerve to lay my musical neck on the chopping block...

#208440 - 07/03/13 10:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: Nobody's Fault But Mine [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Janice and Bud,

This is brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I have no idea how the song could possibly sound any better than it does right at the moment. Janice's vocals hypnotise and are a perfect fit. Also, I've got to say that the arrangement of the backing is one of the best and most musical compilations of realtracks I've heard. It sounds like quite a bit of effort has gone into getting them 'just right'.

One thing is for certain. You guys NEVER disappoint smile

All the best,
Noel

#208447 - 07/03/13 10:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: Nobody's Fault But Mine [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Florida
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Another wonderful trip back in the Merritt Time Machine!

I love your clean, uncluttered recordings.

Regards,

Bob

#208456 - 07/03/13 01:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: Nobody's Fault But Mine [Re: Janice & Bud]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

very nice.... I'm gonna check out those double time western tracks...

some sweet fiddle playing on them.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#208463 - 07/03/13 03:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: Nobody's Fault But Mine [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Kentucky
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
Excellent, and so true! Janice great vocal as usual. Music masterfully crafted. Thanks for sharing! Can hear this one playing on the radio.

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#208476 - 07/03/13 04:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Nobody's Fault But Mine [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Janice and Bud,

This is brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I have no idea how the song could possibly sound any better than it does right at the moment. Janice's vocals hypnotise and are a perfect fit. Also, I've got to say that the arrangement of the backing is one of the best and most musical compilations of realtracks I've heard. It sounds like quite a bit of effort has gone into getting them 'just right'.

All the best,
Noel

A BIG +1

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#208482 - 07/03/13 04:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Nobody's Fault But Mine [Re: Janice & Bud]
gruverider Offline
Expert

an excellent version! I really enjoyed this and "Fire..."

another of my favorite versions is by Blind Willie Johnson. Robert Plant mimics some of the vocal phrasing nearly exactly. If you've never heard of B W Johnson you may be interested in "The Complete Blind Willie Johnson". Amazon has it.

#208487 - 07/03/13 05:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Nobody's Fault But Mine [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
seeker Offline
Veteran

Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
Janice & Bud,

Quote:
The solo Fiddle, solo Mandolin and bass tracks were cut and spliced from multiple BIAB regenerations.
You have really refined this technique. A strong accomplishment that adds even
more performance realism.
Quote:
You couldn't find much better of a PD song to showcase Janice's mournful blues.
Quote:
I love your clean, uncluttered recordings.
Big +1, your specs appear complex, but sounds, simple and powerful.
These sounds and story, your arrangements, and Janice's voice
really deliver.

Thanks to you both for hard work an sharing!

Edited by seeker (07/03/13 06:00 PM)

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum

#208540 - 07/04/13 09:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: Nobody's Fault But Mine [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Janice and Bud,

Janice's vocals hypnotise and are a perfect fit.

Your arrangement has a real life feel to it.
I enjoyed listening.

Guenter

#208577 - 07/04/13 04:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Nobody's Fault But Mine [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Achordocaster Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Hi Janice and Bud,

All the best,
Noel

I'll 2nd Noel! Loved it!

Greg

#208582 - 07/04/13 04:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: Nobody's Fault But Mine [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Excellent . . . period!

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#208622 - 07/04/13 11:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Nobody's Fault But Mine [Re: Janice & Bud]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Really like this one guys. Love the phrasing Janice. It's short but love the feel.

#208804 - 07/06/13 06:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Nobody's Fault But Mine [Re: Janice & Bud]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Janice and Bud....

IT DOESN"T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS.

I think I say that about each new thing you do. You should both be on staff at PBS. And NPR. And the Smithsonian.

You BOTH should be winning Grammys for your individual talents.

Really.

floyd

#208835 - 07/06/13 10:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: Nobody's Fault But Mine [Re: Janice & Bud]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Janice and Bud,

When I read what Floyd said ...

Quote:
You BOTH should be winning Grammys for your individual talents.

... I had a strong urge to second him! Your work is every bit as professional and outstanding as multi-Grammy winning Gillian Welch's work.

When it comes to commenting on each new song you post, I ran out of superlatives ages ago wink

As Floyd also said ...

Quote:
IT DOESN"T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS

A fan for life!
Noel

#209071 - 07/08/13 04:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Nobody's Fault But Mine [Re: Janice & Bud]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Pat: Thanks, we always appreciate your perspectives/

Noel: Thank you. We certainly admire and listen a lot to Gillian -- that is quite a compliment.

Bob: Thanks and we certainly enjoy your time machine journeys.

Guitarhacker: Some of the better acoustic picking is in those Western Swing tracks for sure. Thanks.

PgFantastic: Thanks! Glad it worked for you.

MarioD: Glad you noticed and appreciated the RT work. It's tedious but pays dividends in the end. Thanks for listening!

gruverider: Thank you. We had listened to the Blind Willie version and should have mentioned it. We listen to a lot of the blues masters.

seeker: We work real hard on the sparse sound. Thanks for noting it!

boehm: Thanks a lot. We played live a lot in the past and do try and recreate it.

Greg: Glad you enjoyed it!

DannyC and Sundance: Thanks! Glad y'all enjoyed the listen.

Floyd: From a songwriter, singer and arranger like you that is a heckuva compliment. We deeply appreciate it and your encouragement.
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

PG Music News
#MusicMonday - Share your Latest Band-in-a-Box® Song!

Let's hear your latest Band-in-a-Box® song! Don't be shy - post it as a reply, or head to our User Showcase Forum to share it there!

New to Band-in-a-Box® and unsure of how to get started? We have a few resources to help you out!

Forums - packed with helpful program users!
Online Manual - specifically "Chapter 2: QuickStart" (Mac users, click here.)
Support Videos - sorted for easy searching! All of these are also shared on our YouTube Channel.

Of course, you can always reach out to our team directly too! www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

#TBT The Band-in-a-Box® 2010 "Plug-in" Mode!

Did you know... the "Plug-in" mode was first launched with the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2010 for Windows!

With the 2010 "Plug-in" mode, Band-in-a-Box® opened as a small always-on-top window, and acted as a plug-in for your favorite DAW/sequencer, so that you could Drag-and-drop MIDI and audio (WAV) tracks from Band-in-a-Box to your favorite sequencer. You could work in your favorite sequencer, type a progression in Band-in-a-Box, and then simply drag the track from Band-in-a-Box to your sequencer’s track at the desired track and bar location.

To learn more about the new features that were launched with Band-in-a-Box® 2010 for Windows, check out Band-in-a-Box® 2010 "Plug-in" mode feature highlighted in our Band-in-a-Box® 2010 New Features Video at 10:50!

The "Plug-in" mode development didn't stop there - With Band-in-a-Box® 2019 we introduced the "Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin" which now works DIRECTLY INSIDE YOUR DAW (Cakewalk, Reaper, Pro Tools, PreSonus, etc.). Learn more about this feature here.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac - No Sound with MIDI?

Have you ever experienced a No Sound issue when you're working with MIDI in Band-in-a-Box® for Mac?

We have an online tutorial that can walk you through some troubleshooting to resolve this, but why not check out our newest YouTube video instead?

Click here to watch...

Of course, you can always reach out to us directly if you're in need of assistance with the program!

#TipTuesday - The Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Feature Browser!

Don't underestimate the power of the Feature Browser added with Band-in-a-Box® 2020! This is a GREAT resource when you "know that you knew a feature" but just can't quite remember how to find it!

Simply click on the [?] at the top of the program (near the Mixer on the right) to launch this feature. From there, simply type in your query, or choose from the long list that appears in the Feature Browser window. If you're typing it in, you'll see that list change to only show the results that could fit your search - once you find what you're looking for, you can read more about it when you choose [Manual], if there's a video for the feature you can choose [Video] to view it, OR - if you don't need to read about the feature and just want to USE it, choose [Do it] and you're all set!

Watch this new feature in action when you jump to the subject in our New Features video:

10:19 - New Feature - Feature Browser

Give the Gift of Music with Band-in-a-Box®!

Did you wait too long to purchase flowers, a card, or book a restaurant for Valentine's Day? Or, maybe material gifts just aren't your thing?

Why not whip together a song in Band-in-a-Box? It's as easy as typing in some chords, choosing a style, and pressing play!

Or, take it a step further with the help of the Audio Chord Wizard and our StylePicker Song Titles Browser feature!
How???
-Use the Audio Chord Wizard to analyze their favorite song and provide you with the chord progression
-Take that chord progression and start a new project in Band-in-a-Box (choose "Erase the Audio WAV file in BB" | Enable style)
-Head to the StylePicker window, search for a style for that song using the "Song Titles Browser" Feature (top right)
-Choose from the list provided
-Press Play!

Like what you hear? Save it, and viola!

Holiday Hours - Family Day (Mon, Feb 17)

Monday, February 17th is Family Day!

Our hours on this holiday will be:
Customer Service: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST
Technical Support: Closed.

Regular hours resume Tuesday, February 18th.

www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Get Out Your Guitar with Band-in-a-Box®!

Today is Get Out Your Guitar Day! To celebrate, "they" recommend gathering up a few friends with guitars to ROCK!

But, what if you're unable to round up your crew? That's where Band-in-a-Box® comes in!

There are more than 1,100 Guitar RealTracks available in Sets 1-352 by over 50 RealTracks Artists! Jam along with any of them when you create your own song using Guitar RealTracks, or play one of the demo songs for any Guitar you choose in the RealTracks picker dialog - simply choose your Guitar and click on the [Song Demo...] button within that window.

OR take it even farther when you head to the Soloist within Band-in-a-Box® and choose "Trade" when generating a Guitar Soloist track - choose between 2, 4, or 8 bars!

Learn more about the Trade option within Band-in-a-Box in Chapter 9 | "The Soloist" of our Online Manual.

Forum Stats
31235 Members
63 Forums
62493 Topics
528773 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
dBirch, Ery, peterindc, eligilbertbanjo, Ray170644

31234 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 138
Pipeline 133