Go To
#208497 07/03/13 04:44 PM
User Showcase
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Surfing in NY

Surfs up in Upper Western NY! Of course the waves on the Erie Canal aren’t much to look at much less to try and surf in. However there is some surfing in Lake Ontario and in fact there is a surfing club in Rochester NY.

Based on another thread that talked about surf music it dawned on me that I had not played a surf song in years. So I thought I would give it a try again.

I used BiaB style CC_Hive-Ev. 8th Alt. Rock Gru for this song.

I deleted all but the drums, which I heavily modified to better fit the song. I am playing the bass, rhythm and lead guitars and the farfisa organ. The Farfisa organ is a free VSTi that I found. I played it via my MIDI keyboard controller.

I tried to make this sound like a live recording. The lead guitarist is using the normal ‘lots of reverb’ sound that was popular in the mid 60’s.

Let me know what you think.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #208501 07/03/13 06:02 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Terrific tune Mario smile Only comment from me is there is a tad too much rev over the whole track..it is good on the lead guitar, but for my taste it would be better to be pulled back on the rest, drums rhythm guitar and bass. That way the main lead is a standout.

Still a great listen over morning coffee - good job. Wish I could play guitar an bass (real ones I mean wink )

Dennis

MarioD #208527 07/04/13 03:42 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Tubeular tune, brah. Gnarly guitar there. Totally stoked dude.

Regards,

Haole

Last edited by 90 dB; 07/04/13 03:44 AM.
MarioD #208532 07/04/13 04:49 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
coupla thoughts:

1) the reverb reminded me of playing in a high school gymnasium. I know that sound!

2) I was afraid you wern't going to use the whammy bar, but about halfway through I got my wish

3) you sure managed to squeeze in many of the period's cliches

I bet a set of Ventures songs would go over quite well at old car shows and other places where retired boomers would be in the majority. Its fun music to hear, and it takes you right back there in a heartbeat.

Fun listen Mario! Thanks!

MarioD #208546 07/04/13 07:27 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Mario,

"I tried to make this sound like a live recording."
Mission accomplished. But recording techniques have changed since then. It would be good for the song not to use so much reverb over all.
I liked it though. That shows how old I am.

Guenter

MarioD #208642 07/05/13 05:31 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Mario -

You captured the style/sound perfectly. And the "live vibe" you were after.

The energy builds through the song. (cool drums, too) Enjoyed it.

floyd

MarioD #208671 07/05/13 09:00 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Mario
I enjoyed it and I think the reverb adds something to the whole atmosphere of the song.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanx all for listening and the very kind comments.

About the reverb, I tried to capture the sound of a live band playing in the mid 1960s, thus there is a lot of reverb. At least that is how I remembered it. Mr. Marr hit the nail right on the head when he said it sounded like a band playing in a high school gymnasium! In the early to mid 60s I played in a lot of high school gyms and that must be the sound I remembered from that era. We did play a lot of the current surf songs back then with full reverb on the guitars.

On a side note I played in area schools at just about every dance. Thus I never learned how to dance as I was always playing! This is something my wife still complains about!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #208699 07/05/13 02:59 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Thanx all for listening and the very kind comments.

About the reverb, I tried to capture the sound of a live band playing in the mid 1960s, thus there is a lot of reverb. At least that is how I remembered it. Mr. Marr hit the nail right on the head when he said it sounded like a band playing in a high school gymnasium! In the early to mid 60s I played in a lot of high school gyms and that must be the sound I remembered from that era. We did play a lot of the current surf songs back then with full reverb on the guitars.

On a side note I played in area schools at just about every dance. Thus I never learned how to dance as I was always playing! This is something my wife still complains about!

that's why I never learned to dance too! We must have lived parallel lives, Mario! The same vacations, the same kinds of gigs, the same taste in music...

Regarding the reverb, I understand exactly what you were trying to replicate, and it worked for me! I would have pursued the same goal in the same way.

MarioD #208711 07/05/13 04:20 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I was there -- in high school during the early 60's. I was a surf music nut complete with bleached hair and a board. But then the Beatles changed all that....

The reverb was part of the scene from the amps to the halls it was reverb everywhere. this tune is super cool -- everything about it. And, hey, a band I worked with had a Farfisa along with about every local band we ran into. Paul Revere and the Raiders sure sold a lot of those!

Great production, picking and summer time vibe. Thanks!

User Showcase
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanx Janice and/or Bud for the extremely kind review!

Pat Marr #208723 07/05/13 05:45 PM
User Showcase
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Pat, if DannyC, my twin from another mother forum member who is so like me or maybe I’m so like him-don’t know which way it is, comes in and says the same thing then we may be triplets from different mothers!

MarioD #208731 07/05/13 06:47 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great and cool drums too.

MarioD #208751 07/06/13 12:44 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Mario,

From the first note, I felt like I'd stepped into a time machine. You've captured so many of the musical motifs of the era that 60s memorabilia swam around inside my head. I think that that means that your song did its job remarkably well.

Loved it!

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,500
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195