Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Some time ago Joanne Cooper (Jo131) contacted me to see if I could turn one of her folk songs into something more commercial, like a rock ballad. Well, I've been at this game too long to be scared off by the word "commercial" so I readily agreed and we eventually settled on her most recent post. If you missed it, here's a link to the original track -

Tissue Paper Child - The Original

Joanne sent us the wav file of the vocal from the original song and bravely gave us a free hand from there on. This is what we did -

Tissue Paper Child - The Rock Ballad

Credit must go to -

Lead vocal - Joanne Cooper.
Backing vocals - Jessie Lush, Courtney Ward and Josh Kenyon.
Guitars - Beth Thomas and Roger Jackson.
Bass - Alex Richards.
Keyboards - Roger Jackson.

Many thanks to Joanne for having the courage to set us loose on this one - we certainly had a lot of fun.

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I liked this song when Jo first posted it, and commented favorably on it at that time. But it was a very intuitive move on her part to offer you the opportunity to develop the idea in a new direction.

Whereas I really liked the original idea, this manifestation of it really shines! You've orchestrated her original idea with the professional backing it screamed for all along.

Kudos to all involved in the project! Great job all around!

And Jo.. I'm so glad you abandoned the "aspiring" adjective in your self-description. This song is all anyone needs to see you as a full-fledged song writer!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ROG, Joanne, (and "the kids")

This is SO VERY COOL. "the kids" are a great addition to this.
A nice production "wrapped around" the song. (The added lead was nice).

Nice.

floyd

User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Both versions are outstanding, the new version is definitely more dynamic. I felt like the original version fit the song better; it just seemed more personal. Can't go wrong either way. Thanks for sharing!

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Guys,

This is truly ...

From the very first note of the intro, I knew that this song was going to be well worth the listening journey.

ROG: You've done a really superb job arranging and producing Josie's work. I could never have imagined that her song could sound like this. I bet she was over the moon when she first heard it! What you've put together shouts "PROFESSIONAL" <--- left, right and centre.

Josie: I have to say that I've never heard you sing better. I was totally blown away by your performance and its showcasing by ROG's arrangement and backing. Hope you're feeling incredibly proud of this song! You've done a great job.

Jessie, Courtney, Josh, Beth, Alex: You guys are amazing how you keep on coming up with the proverbial "goods". You're a very polished team of musicians.

Best regards to all,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Joanne and Rog,

like Pat said: Kudos to all involved in the project! Great job all around!

Guenter

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Yeah +1 both versions are great, my preference is for the "unplugged" one though. Sorry ROG, great arrangement though smile

Dennis

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with Dennis (Joden)as I too prefer the 1st version myself as IMHO the title leans more to a "folk" ballad.
Nice solo tho'.

But all kudos to ROG and the gang for their trans-atlantic music making

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ROG,

I'll bet Joanne's feet haven't felt the ground since she heard this! My jaw dropped at the transformation.

Absolutely wonderful. I love what ya'll did with this song. The unplugged version is good but this is just beautiful - perfectly compliments Joanne's voice and makes her song sparkle with emotion.

Bravo! You and the kids get a standing O from me.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Just wanted to add for Joanne, You, and the kids that I played this for my husband who's a former career radio guy and he was super impressed (not an easy thing to do with him when it comes to music. LOL). He says "sounds like a hit" and "as good as Judy Collins" he thinks the arrangement sounds totally pro and if he was still on the air would play it. smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi All

What an absolutely fantastic job Roger and his team did on this song. I was completely blown away when Roger sent me the song yesterday afternoon. He did all of this with just a wave file of my vocal! Incidentally it was the same vocal as I used for my version so Roger worked his magic on this too.

Pat, Guenter, Floyd, Robert, Josie, Dennis and Alyn. Thanks for the comments and for listening. Floyd, thanks again for your input on the lyrics. Noel - LOVE the pic!

Josie, thanks for pitching back with your husbands comments. I agree that it is an absolutely professional job on the arrangement. Glad you both liked the song in general.

Best regards

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
What they all said. I really enjoyed both and appreciated the opportunity to hear two disparate interpretations. And building that around just a vocal file is an impressive piece of arranging and production!

User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Whoa! I'm overwhelmed!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to give it listen and for all the really nice things that have been said. Special thanks to Joanne for providing the excellent song and lead vox and for having enough confidence in us to give us a free hand.

Thanks also to everyone from "The Team" who never tire of people telling them how good they are! I'm just so lucky to be able to work with them.

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sundance
ROG,

I'll bet Joanne's feet haven't felt the ground since she heard this! My jaw dropped at the transformation.

Absolutely wonderful. I love what ya'll did with this song. The unplugged version is good but this is just beautiful - perfectly compliments Joanne's voice and makes her song sparkle with emotion.

Bravo! You and the kids get a standing O from me.

Big +1

Kudos to all, but Jo you sound super girl!

I love it!

Great production Rog!

Later,

User Showcase
Wow, so cool to hear two such different versions of one song!

Love both of them!!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
you have brought the joy of making music to a wonderful song. I enjoyed listening

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,514
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195