You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#209210 - 07/10/13 01:27 PM [User Showcase] Come back with me (repost)
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

This is my tribute to Steely Dan which I wrote in 1973/4 having heard their early albums.This is no where like the live version we used to "play" in the Band I was in then! partly because I can play guitar now, some opinions may vary!THe Band always played it last, on request, as it cleared the venue like magic LOL
I think I have removed the artifacts heard last time, sounds OK on my system.

Come back with me

there's a place I know
I have bin there
in my dre-eams
to describe in words
is impossible
I kno-ow

listen to me
the sun is rising hi-igh
no tomorrow
the week is all toda-ay
you can find it
come back with me
la la la la la
oh come back with me
please come back with me

smile a while and see
ooh it's a good trip
you will see-ee
worldly holdings fall
need no money
just bring yourse-elf

you can take it
don't even start to try-iy
but you can make it
as long as there's a smi-ile
then there is love
come back with me come back with me
la la la la la
come back with me
oh please come back with me

SOLO

I won't take you
if you don't want to go-o
'cos your the 1st one
I really want to kno-ow
now there is love
come back with me
la la la la la
oh come back with me
please come back with me

RealTracks in style: ~~921:Bass, Acoustic, Bossa Ev 110
RealTracks in song: ~923:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BossaFreeComp Ev 110
RealTracks in style: 924:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BossaGrooveComp Ev 110
RealTracks in style: ~~925:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Bossa Ev 110
RealTracks in style: 708:Guitar, Nylon-Elec, Rhythm Bossa Ev 140
RealDrums in style: BossaBrushes#1: a: Brushes b: BusyBrushes
RealTracks in song: ~~896:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Rhythm FolkRock Ev 100
RealDrums in style: BossaTerryClarke^4-a:Brushes, Busy , b:Shaker

I sampled the brush hit and added it in a few places to liven things up!Same with another RealDrum sample, forget which, in the solo. I used the Chord track for the arpeggiated sounds using Plex free and Proteus VX free. Extra bass notes courtesy of UVI workstation free.
I played some rhythm guitar and the solo which was the 1st and only take, after a few dry runs.
I was a Dental student in London and this song is about the competition we, the lads, had to see how many nurses, in a 15 week term, we could get back to our rooms for *cough* coffee whistle and it usually WAS coffee cry

#209224 - 07/10/13 05:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: Come back with me (repost) [Re: gibson]
gruverider Offline
Expert

I'm glad you told the background story. It grounded the song for me in a way that made it more personal. (and made me smile about the coffee). Thanks for posting

#209266 - 07/11/13 02:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: Come back with me (repost) [Re: gruverider]
gibson Offline
Veteran

Thanks,
All my songs usually have a story attached as "I write my songs to escape from life but my life is in the songs".

I like the pun "grounded" and "coffee" LOL

Alyn

#209267 - 07/11/13 04:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Come back with me (repost) [Re: gibson]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Alyn,

It's brilliant to see you posting songs again. Cool!!! You've certainly been very inventive with your use of Realstuff in this mix.

Like gruverider, I appreciated the background story. I listened before I read the story and, for what it's worth, the theme works on a number of levels and one of those is the innocence of the early days of a relationship and falling in love. It's a very universal theme.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to listen again.

Hope your recuperation is progressing well.

Best wishes,
Noel

#209288 - 07/11/13 12:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Come back with me (repost) [Re: Noel96]
gibson Offline
Veteran

Thanks for your comments,Noel.
My mini stroke has now been downgraded and the cardiologists say it is now stress related to my original heart attack and bypass in 2008....anyway!

I love your interpretation of the theme as I never remembered it in that innocent manner! ALTHO' I recently re-met one of the nurses from those days and we are now rekindling our appreciation of each other.She drinks tea by the way. smile

I will post many more songs with the stories attached over the coming weeks/months.
best wishes

Alyn

#209307 - 07/11/13 06:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Come back with me (repost) [Re: gibson]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hey Alyn.

Keep posting the songs and it might help kick that stress.

I love your lyrics and the song is very evocative of that time - I think I went through a similar period in my youth! And, of course, I was always going to like anything with LaLaLa in it.

Hope the recovery keeps going well.

ROG.

#209317 - 07/11/13 08:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Come back with me (repost) [Re: gibson]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Alyn,

I like the story and the song.
Your voice sounds young.
Thanks for sharing.

Guenter

#209319 - 07/11/13 10:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: Come back with me (repost) [Re: gibson]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Alyn,

+1 to what's been said already.

I always enjoy a feel good pop song. I like the way you put this together. Lalas and cutting loose with the adlibs behind the vox - cool stuff.

#209322 - 07/12/13 12:22 AM [User Showcase] Re: Come back with me (repost) [Re: gibson]
gibson Offline
Veteran

ROG,
Thanks for the comments. The stress I have is NHS related, you have heard the term whistleblower, well now you know/have met an accidental one....me vs NHS Wales! And boy, music is certainly a good tonic for my sanity....Thanks Peter G for BIAB..
Yes us musicians tended to have similar-ish periods in our youth... A few things I regret but not many tho!!!!

Guenter,
Thanks for the compliment that my voice sounds young, wish I looked young. I recorded the vox last year at 62.

Sundance,
Thanks I love doing the ad-lib vocals. A few years back a neighbour rushed round to check I was OK as she heard me screaming and shouting stuff and thought I was being attacked! I then made a mental note to close ALL the windows in my house before doing vocals LOL

Alyn

PG Music News
Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

NEW! Style-style-style Additions and Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

With over 64 new features and enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019, we've made sure to add to, enhance, and update some of the Style features within the program: StylePicker, StyleMaker, and Song Titles browser within the StylePicker!

StylePicker Enhancements:
-If the style list needs rebuild, it tells you that within the StylePicker, instead of a message that requires a response.
-The rebuild is faster than before by 75%. It takes 1/4 of the time now.
-While the style list is being rebuilt, you can see the progress inside the StylePicker.
-The style list can be filtered by a specific RealTracks/RealDrums/MIDI SuperTracks or RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks in a certain number range.
-You can filter the style list by a specific Xtra Styles PAK.
-The dialog to select an Xtra Styles PAK has a button to take you to the PG Music website that shows information about Xtra Styles PAKs.
-The StylePicker can list all styles (including N/A styles) in the default display.
-The Set number display is improved, including sort by type and Xtra styles.

StyleMaker Improvements:

-The new MIDI velocity offset allows you to make styles with altered loudness for MIDI tracks.
-Styles can be saved with information like a memo, examples, genres, and more, which will be displayed in the StylePicker.
-You can import information from another style. This is useful when you are making a similar style.
-A style can have a huge number of RealTracks (up to 70!) because the StyleMaker now supports RealTracks multi/medley feature, which allows a single track to have up to 10 simultaneous playing of RealTracks.

Song Titles Browser Enhancement

-We’ve added 300 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now over 10,600 titles.
-The chord density filter is available, and it’s also displayed in the memo.
-The chord complexity filter is available.

Review all the new features of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 here.

NEW! Traditional Celtic Tunes with Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you can add the 49-PAK to your order for just $49!

Among the great Add-ons included in the 49-PAK is our Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly, which includes 18 traditional Celtic tunes! You'll find beautifully performed songs like Boys of Bluehill, The Cliffs of Moher, Harvest Home, Rolling in the Rye Glass, and more!

The Celtic RealTracks backing up performances by Geoff Kelly sound amazing, and so do the duets with previous Artist Performance musician Daniel Lapp (on fiddle)! Listen to all the demos for these Artists Performances near the bottom of our Bonus PAKs page, here.

Here's a taste: Demo: Rolling in the Rye Grass

The Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Bonus PAKs!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you'll receive a FREE Bonus PAK overflowing with great Add-ons, including MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses with 6 MIDI SuperTracks, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 120 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks, and 15 new MIDI Styles!

Or, upgrade it to the 49-PAK for just $49 and you'll add 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" & Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, 6 more MIDI SuperTracks with Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion, 120 more guitar licks and riffs with Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks, 15 more MIDI Styles, and Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly!

Watch the video highlighting our 49-PAK here, or listen to demos and learn more here.

Free Bonus PAK Contents:
-Look Ma! More MIDI 1
-21 RealDrums Transcriptions
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses
-Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks

2019 49-PAK Contents:
-40 Bonus RealTracks!
-10 "Low Man" and Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks
-Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly
-Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks
-Look Ma! More MIDI 2
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes!

Get to know the new Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows with our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes! video: Click here to watch...

Forum Stats
28406 Members
58 Forums
55136 Topics
459179 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
ecnal, Jurassic, Derek Deatherage, poyol247, otcpub

28405 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 330
Pipeline 308