Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Hi all,

Wondering who can point me or give the best explanation as to why the entire guitar is not consistently tuned in 4ths.

I'm back to the basics this summer - and learning 3 different fingerings for the common 1 5 7 3 voicing on continuous strings. It seems to me the advantages of all 4ths would be really beneficial.

Then again - not having ever played in a guitar tuned consistently in 4ths, I'm sure I would discover some advantages to that 3rd between G and B : )

Any thoughts on this ?

Last edited by Joe V; 07/20/13 08:32 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There is a long and obscure history here. I doubt if anybody knows the whole story. My opinion is that Arabic influence, via Spain, has a lot to do with it.

One might ask the converse: Why is the guitar not tuned to a G major chord? Strings 2,3 and 4 give a G major chord, so why not tune the whole instrument that way (DGDGBD)?

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Just to confuse things, multistring guitar basses are tuned in all fourths.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Well you can tune your guitar any way you like, IF you can deliver Strong Performance with it.

http://www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/tunings.htm

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mac
Well you can tune your guitar any way you like, IF you can deliver Strong Performance with it.

http://www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/tunings.htm

You can do that. You can even retune on the fly, if you're Adrian Legg, q.v. Bottom line--there are no rules.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've never found a definitive answer, but it seems pretty obvious that there was a practical reason for doing so.

It's not likely to be that much of an advantage for single-note playing, since patterns would be easier to learn, and movable across the fingerboard. It's not like the scales can't be played on that system - ask a bass player (a bass player who knows scales, anyway wink ).

It's possible that it was an engineering problem meant to reduce the tension on the top two strings. But I doubt that's why - the lute had a bazillion courses, and that held up in a smaller form.

That pretty much leaves the answer as being that it's easier to finger (some) chords.

It's not difficult to figure out the "open" fingering for a guitar using pure fourths (there's probably some errors, but whatever):

A: 0 0 2 2 1 4
B: 2 2 1 4 3 1
C: 0 3 2 0 0 2
D: 2 0 0 2 2 1
E: 0 2 2 1 2 3
F: 1 0 3 2 0 0
G: 3 2 0 0 2 2

Here are the minor chords:

A: 0 0 2 2 0 4
B: 2 2 1 4 2 1
C: 0 3 1 0 0 2
D: 1 0 0 2 2 0
E: 0 2 2 0 2 2
F: 1 3 3 2 0 0

One thing that I notice is that there are a lot of four-finger chords.

Edit: This is an issue because if you need four fingers to make a chord, you won't have any fingers left to use a barred version of the chord. That means that you can't "share" common forms, and have lots of shapes to memorize.

In "standard" tuning, with the top two strings a B and E, you've biased the guitar to playing in the key of E. The main chords using this system are E, A and D. They can be seen as variants of each other - the E is the "main" chord, with the scale degrees (from low to high) are Root, Fifth, Root, Third. It's easy to create variants of the chord by shifting the root on the fourth string to get a maj7 or dom7, and the third on the third string to get a minor third or a suspended fourth. All these variants (E, E7, Esus4, Emaj7, Em, Em7) fit nicely in the hand, since they only require three adjacent fingers to span no more than three frets.

E : 0 2 2 1 0 0

One particularly nice feature is that there's only one instance of the 3rd scale degree, so you only have to change one string to convert the chord to a minor (or suspended).

The A is basically the E form, shifted one string up (a fourth):

You can think of the high E "wrapping around" to the low E. Note that the only thing that changed was the note on the second string (because it's a third, not a fourth):

A : 0 0 2 2 2 0

It still has all the easy-to-finger convenience of the E chord (and variants). Shift it up the strings once again and you've got a D chord:

D : 2 0 0 2 3 2

Again, you've got all the convenient variants of the E chord in easy reach.

Shift again and you get an open G chord, which isn't quite as nice, because you've doubled the third:

G : 3 2 0 0 3 3

With the third doubled (on the second and fifth string), it's much less convenient to convert this "natural" form into it's minor variant. Shift again and you've got a C, with the same issues when it comes to the third scale degree:

C : 3 3 2 0 1 3

So the G and C are much less "friendly" than the E, A and D and their variants.

Shift up another string and you're on a F major, which is a barred E, and the circle is complete.

So... Having a B on the second string gets a finger-friendly E chord with lots of easy-to-finger variants. It also gives the A and D forms, which are almost as nice. Because they are three-finger chords with an easy reach, they lend themselves to barring if you need to create a different chord.

All in all, it's a pretty good compromise.

Last edited by dcuny; 07/21/13 09:04 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention why four-finger chords are less optimal.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I like to play in DADGAD as well as standard tuning; my classical guitar REALLY likes to be played in standard tuning but down 1 and a half steps.

This whole song is the classical (except for the drums), even the auto-wah part is on the classical.
http://rockstarnot.rekkerd.org/fawm2013/scott%20lake%20%20-%20detuned%20Edit%201%20Export%201.mp3

If you want to think about alternate tunings a little bit, I suggest looking into Jose Gonzales. His first album has about 4 or 5 different tunings and they really help create different moods in each song.

Another alternate tuning to play around with is the Open G tuning and Rolling Stones tunes. Brown Sugar, some play Jumpin Jack Flash this way, Start Me Up, etc.

Be careful, this can get addictive and you'll be sounding like Keef with all of your songs!

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: dcuny

Here are the minor chords:

A: 0 0 2 2 0 4
B: 2 2 1 4 2 1
C: 0 3 1 0 0 2
D: 1 0 0 2 2 0
E: 0 2 2 0 2 2
F: 1 3 3 2 0 0

Grab that Bm cry

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PRearden

Grab that Bm cry

Yesh! mad

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Ryszard

Unless it's a Fender Bass VI, in which case it is tuned like a guitar.

the Insolent Lad
Enough small empty boxes thrown into a big empty box fill it full. ~Carl Sandburg
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Originally Posted By: insolentlad
Originally Posted By: Ryszard

Unless it's a Fender Bass VI, in which case it is tuned like a guitar.

One of my friends here at work sold his Fender bass VI in order to fund purchase of his wife's engagement ring. They are still happily married, but he admitted to me that he wishes he still had that bass VI. Wouldn't trade his wife for it - but part of what he sees when he sees her engagement ring is his old bass VI!

My next electrified stringed instrument purchase will probably be one of the following:

Some type of baritone guitar. (maybe DIY turn my old Peavey Milestone into this with a Warmoth neck)
A 5-string bass, maybe fretless.

-Scott

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Breaking the 3rd at the B string means having the E string above it, moving back to the 4th break of the other strings.

And that creates the magnificence of the modern guitar's shimmer in chording.

It is also perhaps the reason that the guitar became so accessible to so many, learn a few simple chord patterns "by the dots" and yield an almost instant gratification in the resulting sound.

I've said this before on these forums, time to repeat it, "The guitar is singular in its ability to allow many to make what harmonic sounds quickly that any other instrument requires much more time, study and practice to accomplish."

Something else I've mentioned before:

"The guitar is extremely easy to learn how to play the basics, chords and strumming, but is also extremely difficult to continue on from that standpoint and actually master."

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have a feeling that the easiest instruments to get started on may be the most difficult to master.

Saxophone is like that too.

But that's just thinking out loud.

After playing sax, flute, wind synth and keyboard synth, what still makes me grin about playing the guitar is it's ability to effortlessly transpose. Modulate up a half step on most instruments, the fingering is completely different. Do it on the guitar, and just move it up a fret.

Well, when you get something, another thing often gets taken away. It's more difficult to read music notation on the guitar than it is on the sax or keyboard.

I wonder if a guitar tuned in all fourths would be as easy to make chords on, especially movable chords like barre chords.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted By: Joe V

Wondering who can point me or give the best explanation as to why the entire guitar is not consistently tuned in 4ths.

Any thoughts on this ?

Here are my thoughts. The first 2 strings on the guitar are tuned to notes on the chromatic scale that do not have a semi tone between those notes and the next higher tone. It is the B string that is the issue if you want the turnings to follow the circle of fourths (or the circle of fifths depending on your pont of view). Going from the B string upward, the turnings would have to be F#, C#, G#, D#. An adjustment needed to be made to keep the strings from being tuned to mostly sharps it seems to me.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,623
Posts735,196
Members38,520
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185