Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This is an original song I wrote in memory/tribute to some of the wonderful "Nawlins Musicians" I had the pleasure of working with back in the day . . . Soiree The After Hours Bar

I hope it brings back fond memories to the rest of you cats who played these late night jam sessions wherever they might have been. If it does please share some of your past jam session experiences with the rest of us.

This is what I used to put it together:

Style - PopFunkyTexas Solo-Accompaniment Piano RealTracks
1630 Dixieland Background Trumpet
1970 Dixieland Trombone Soloist
1455 Bass GypsyJazzLatin
Real Drums Rumba Sticks Ride
My guitar background rhythm
My vocal
Cowbell (can't seem to get enough off) Loop

Here's a little story bout a ninth ward bar way down in New Orleans
way back when the joints were rockin at the height of the live band scene Soiree' was an after hours club because it only opened late and this is where the cats would go to bring their late night dates

When the regular gigs were about to end
on any given Saturday night
This little bar way cross town
was about to come to life
cause Soiree is were the bands would go
when their gigs were through
Where they'd all meet to un-wind
and jam a song or two

Now our gig would end bout two am
and we knew it wouldn't be long
So you'd pack your ax head for the door
but you weren't going home
The crowd showed up close to three
they grab a table near the stage
Then watch the door cause here they come
like a second line parade

Here come Bob O'Rourke and his trombone
both of Blue Room fame
Murphy Campo from the Famous Door
always at the top of his game
Big Black Tom and his B3
will surely rock this bar
Charlie Little on the skins
and me on my guitar.

The cats are wearing their gigging threads
from tuxedos to ruffled shirts
and they were coming from their gigs
to play for all it's worth.
Soiree is were the cats all met
as they came from near and far
Where they'd all met to un-wind
at Soiree after hours bar (X2)

Later,

Last edited by Danny C.; 07/31/13 08:48 AM. Reason: song not sang!
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Danny,

What a great fun story you have told us all. During my "wilder" early
days remember(most of the time) some of the late bars, but. Never
had any contact with folks like this.

Your vocals tells this story with your "Nawlins" really nicely.
Felt like I was there. The video and music tribute, excellent.

Thanks for sharing some of your work, part of you life and great music.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Danny, fun tune and very interesting how the different style of instruments mix together sounding like they are part of the same set. Maybe a dumb question but, any relation with the "Campos" in your song?

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Frank,

Thank you so much for the listen and kind words. Music wise those were indeed the good old days for me. I just wish I had more photos and information regarding the musicians of that era.

Later,

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Mike,

Regarding the instrument mix, yes BIAB to me is my local grocer where I shop for the ingredients to make a good old fashion Gumbo, "food reference". (Pat take note)

The two other Campos in the credits are brothers and 2nd cousins of mine. Murphy was an excellent trumpet man who played clubs from Vegas to New York and of course New Orleans. His last gig until his passing was with Pete Fountain's group playing locally in Pete's Club and gigs throughout the country. Pete would always introduce him as the man who "puts the fire in his band".

Phil Campo his younger brother and I played together for quite a few years. he is also a fine trumpet player but also doubles as a very solid drummer. He is currently playing clubs in New Orleans and an occasional cruise ship gig.

Thanks for your time to listen and of course to give me the opportunity to tell a little about these wonderful musicians.

Later,

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Danny,
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
fun tune and very interesting how the different style of instruments mix together sounding like they are part of the same set.

+1

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Regarding the instrument mix, yes BIAB to me is my local grocer where I shop for the ingredients to make a good old fashion Gumbo, "food reference". (Pat take note)

LOL!
wink

Danny,

this is a fascinating song from an equally fascinating personality. I hope to meet as many of the people from this forum as possible before I die, and you're on the bucket list.

Thanks for posting! Very cool song!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Danny,

This is terrific! A real story with real music - sung from the heart.

It doesn't get any better than that!

You got me "listening to the song" - not listening to offer comments. That's not easy.

Loved it.

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool story and video Danny.

Enjoyed it.

User Showcase
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
MOST excellent Danny. Only thing I'd be tempted to add is a horns break... gotta blow man ;-)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Danny,

How cool was that!! You had me hynotised. I sat here listening, totally wrapped up in the music and the lyrics. What a great story to be able to tell. (I'm heading back to watch the video now.)

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Danny.

Wonderful song and great video to match.

I gotta visit there one day!

ROG.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Danny,
Great story, song and video. Thanks for sharing.
SD

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Don R
MOST excellent Danny. Only thing I'd be tempted to add is a horns break... gotta blow man ;-)

Gotcha! 1.04 mark Trumpet Solo

Thanks for the listen.

Later,

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Please excuse the blanket token of appreciation:

Gunter,

Re: the instrument and style mix. New Orleans music, culture and it's people represent such a diverse mixture in itself I guess it just sort of works. I almost said like a good "Sauce Piquante", but I have already used my allotment of food references for this thread . . . someone is counting.:>

Thanks for the listen.

Noel,

Thanks you so much I “was” trying to hypnotize you ma man! It worked.

I appreciate the listen and comment.

Pat,

Thanks for the listen, comment and for keeping count of my food references . . . sorry got to go now it's lunch time!

Floyd and Space Dog,

Thanks for the listen and kind comments. Re: the story, writing and performing this song brought me back (in my mind anyway) to that stage with such vivid memories that for a second or two every now and then I could actually smell that joint. I just wish I could remember the names of all of the musicians who walked through the door and blew their you know what off on that same stage.

Josie,

Neighbor I thank you very much for the listen and kind encouragement.

Rog,

Thanks for the time to listen and you kind comments.

Although New Orleans (in my mind anyway) is not the same place it was in years gone by it is still a wonderful place to visit. So come on down I'll be your personal guide!

Later all,

User Showcase
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Heard that one... quite tasty. I guess my thought was more oriented toward verse three and beyond... maybe bring up the bone a bit right behind the O'Rourke reference and a Hammond Hit splashed behind the Black Tom phrase. I tend to gravitate to brash vamping to close too... there's nothing like a horn train wreck to close a set (LOL) probably just my taste.

Still, think it's a fantastic composition and it spins a nice story... Well done!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Don R
Heard that one... quite tasty. I guess my thought was more oriented toward verse three and beyond... maybe bring up the bone a bit right behind the O'Rourke reference and a Hammond Hit splashed behind the Black Tom phrase. I tend to gravitate to brash vamping to close too... there's nothing like a horn train wreck to close a set (LOL) probably just my taste.

Still, think it's a fantastic composition and it spins a nice story... Well done!

You are right on! In fact I tried to do that but had issues with my movie maker audio capturing those variances in the audio . . . GOOD EAR!

Later,

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great story!! Playing a different genre but, man, does this remind me of closing time at the end of a three night gig, packing up for home -- and some how we end up at another venue and play on.......

Thanks for posting this.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Great story!! Playing a different genre but, man, does this remind me of closing time at the end of a three night gig, packing up for home -- and some how we end up at another venue and play on.......

Thanks for posting this.

Very kind comment, as if my music can bring back a memory or two I consider it mission accomplished.

Thanks Bud.

Later,

User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Excellent production and performance, Lyrics are flawless, video well done to. . Thanks for sharing!

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,451
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195