You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#210968 - 07/31/13 04:50 PM [User Showcase] My Southern Belle
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

I found this today. I had forgotten that I had worked this up.
Kevin posted a jam "in honor of j.j.cale". This one has a bit of that influence as well.

It is an old song - written back when telephone companies meant something.
Southern Bell ruled the SouthEast US. They turned into Bell South.
I don't even know if they still exist... but that is where the "wink" in this song came from.
Man! we're getting old fast! Remember when the phone hung on the wall in your kitchen?
And you could only walk as far as the cord would let you???

MY SOUTHERN BELLE

RealTracks:
RealTracks in song: ~1846:Bass, Electric, CountryBoogieRootFive Sw 140
RealTracks in song: 1718:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasBluesRockStraightBrent Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 848:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryRockRiff Ev 120 (A:sync)
RealTracks in song: 384:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Rock Southern Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1515:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryBrent Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1169:Guitar, Electric, Soloist RockMediumBrent Ev 120
RealDrums in Song: BluesRockEv^1-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Open HiHat

I did vocals and harmonies and played acoustic.

Comments encouraged...

floyd

#210977 - 07/31/13 06:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
I love it Floyd!
Yeah, I remember all those things!

very clever word play throughout, and I like the way you put some of the rhymes in the middle of the sentence instead of the usual end of the sentence.

Instead of rambling on as I usually do, I'll stop here and see what others have to say...

#210986 - 07/31/13 06:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Cool track, Floyd.

Super lyrics and a great vocal performance. Very nice choice of RTs and a groove that really drives along. I loved the guitar sounds. The dialing tone at the end was inspired.

The mix sounds great on my main monitors, but on headphones the stereo placement seems a bit too accurate for my taste. Sorry, Floyd - I think that's the first time I've been less than enthusiastic about any aspect of your recording. Apart from that, a brilliant track!

ROG.

#210987 - 07/31/13 06:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Pat - I love when you ramble!!!

ROG - You have my attention...

I don't know what you mean by... "the stereo placement seems a bit too accurate"...

Can you explain, please (I'd like to take care of "less than enthusiastic"!)

Edited by floyd jane (07/31/13 06:46 PM)

#210992 - 07/31/13 07:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Floyd - now you have me worried that I've offended you!

On the big Tannoys everything sounds great, but on the 'phones I could place each instrument's position very accurately in the stereo field. It was like being very close to a very wide stage, so that sounds seemed to come from various specific places, rather than a blend of the overall band.

Now, I have to admit to using all sorts of unnatural stereo effects, particularly in my 80s stuff, but I felt that your track had the feel of a live band and needed a more conventional placement.

At the end of the day, I was being very picky and I'm beginning to wish I'd kept quiet!

ROG.

#211000 - 07/31/13 07:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

ROG,

No, no! I was not offended AT ALL! I truly welcome that type of critique!!!
If something isn't the best it can be - I want to know your opinion of that.
I can decide if it's valid and fix it or not.

I appreciate the honest opinion. If you knew where I've been, you would know "I can take it" and I welcome it!!!

So... thank you (I understand what you are getting at...)

Edited by floyd jane (07/31/13 07:21 PM)

#211003 - 07/31/13 07:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Floyd,

you are telling an interesting story again.
Great vocals, harmonies and suitable RTs.
The song has got a lot of drive and it's fun to
listen.
ROG: "on the 'phones I could place each instrument's position very accurately in the stereo field." That's how it should be.

Guenter

#211028 - 08/01/13 04:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Hi Floyd.

Thanks for the reassurance. Now that I know you're not offended, perhaps I can better explain where I'm coming from on this one. Reading Guenters comment I think I haven't made it quite clear.

Firstly, there was a time (just after the dinosaurs died out) when we didn't even check the mix on 'phones. Because so much music was listened to on radio, we checked on little cube speakers called Auratones, which you'd find in pro studios all over the world. Since the rise of the tablet, phone and MP3 player, the headphone mix has become as important as the main monitor mix. I even know people who mix on 'phones and then check on the mains.

Secondly, this particular mix. When I listen to it I hear a live band. If I'm in a hall about 50ft away from a stage which is 15ft wide, all the sound is coming pretty much from the same direction, plus there are reflections from the side and back walls which form the reverb. If I'm mixing this, I'd pan everything dead center and use judicious amounts of stereo chorus and stereo reverb/delay to provide a subtle stereo wash. To me, this is more natural than different instruments in different ears.

Guenter is absolutely right that the 'phones should pick up the stereo placement, it's just that I think I explained it badly before.

Of course, this still only holds up as one persons opinion and there are no rights and wrongs in this game. I just hope this makes things clearer.

ROG.

#211035 - 08/01/13 06:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Floyd,

I'm sitting here, tapping my feet, nodding my head and generally just rocking along with the music; I'm also smiling and laughing at your lyrics and thinking just how clever they are. You really have a gift for working with words! I love the play on meanings.

All that being said, the musical setting is equally perfect!!!

Back in second ...

Ok! That didn't work. I've played the song through 4 times now in the hope that I'd find something to be constructively critical about. Sorry. I can't help out there. It all sounds EXCELLENT to my ears. It's another ...

... from me.

Heading back for another listen, now smile

All the best,
Noel

#211047 - 08/01/13 12:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Maryland
SpaceDog Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Floyd,
I love the song. The dial tone at the end is a nice touch.

Good mixing theory discussion. I'm taking it all in and learning from each of you.

SD

#211054 - 08/01/13 02:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
seeker Offline
Veteran

Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
Floyd,

Really enjoyed your lyrics, vocals and music.

Was listening on my "monitors", sounded great to me.
FWIW, I've been trying to set pans in own songs to emulate
instrument positioning. Unknown to me this was the right thing to do..
Who'da thunk!

Thanks for putting your heart into another great song in your collections.

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum

#211061 - 08/01/13 04:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Achordocaster Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Hey Floyd,

Another excellent job! I don't really have any critique comments, It all sounds good to me.

I'm not having any issues with the mix, but I haven't listened through headphones.

Greg

#211072 - 08/01/13 05:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

OK, ROG...

I re-mixed it and narrowed the field. Not dead center - that is a bit too radical for me. I've now had BIAB for a year. I think I did this around month 3 - like I said it got "lost" for a while. Before I posted it the other day I re-mixed it because the drums and guitars were wimpy. As I did that I noticed the wide field, but left it. So thanks for "callin' me on that".

So I'd be interested if this at least gets close (for you). Truth.

The discussion is good...

floyd

#211073 - 08/01/13 05:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Guenter - thanks for your support! I always appreciate your comments.

Noel - Thank you. Your comments are always so much fun to read..

SD - glad you enjoyed it.

#211074 - 08/01/13 05:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Frank and Greg - thanks. by the time you guys got to it, I had posted the re-mix. Thanks for the listen and the comments...

#211077 - 08/01/13 06:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Hey Floyd, I agree - the discussion is what's so good about this forum.

Straight away, let me say that I love the re-mix.

You know, I agonized for a long time about making that first comment, basically because the standard of your work is so consistently good and so well respected here. Then there's the fact that it's only an opinion in any case.

Then I thought you were probably big enough to take it and if you didn't agree you could shoot me down in flames! It's only a short time since I re-mixed one, myself, when public opinion here wanted the vocal louder and brighter.

I think it's great not having to work in isolation and having access to opinions from so many talented forumites. My respect for you is only increased by this exchange.

Many thanks, ROG.

#211078 - 08/01/13 07:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

I like the Jj groove. A little bluesy country rock. Never a bad thing. Good vocal. Going back for another listen. Thanks for posting.

#211096 - 08/01/13 10:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Florida, USA
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Loc: Florida, USA
Hi Floyd, great tune all around!
"on the 'phones I could place each instrument's position very accurately in the stereo field."
Well, I'm not sure if that was your intention, but if so you succeeded. Nothing wrong wit that IMHO. Being a matter of taste (I think), when you listen to my mixes, I try to do exactly that; place the melody and solos dead center and then try to imagine where my band is placed on the stage and pan it accordingly.

Regards

Mike B.

#211127 - 08/02/13 11:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Kentucky
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
Great! If Brooks and Dunn had not called it quits, this would be the perfect song for them. Are they one of your influences? I hear a lot of them in your work each time. Liked the dial tone on the end, nice touch. Thanks for sharing!

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#211178 - 08/02/13 09:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Love everything about it . . especially for us older guys down south who actually did business with Bell South before the breakup.

Another top shelf performance!

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows was released in December 2018, and included many new features and enhancements - like the enhancements we made to our Notation window!

These include:
-Pressing the space bar plays the song from the current location.
-Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location.
-The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
-Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on it.
-In the Notation Windows Options dialog, the clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
-The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
-You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.
-A new track type (Drums) is available for the Melody and Soloist tracks.
-Holding down the Ctrl key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
-There's a keystroke entry mode -the "N" mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
-A new button in the Print Options dialog lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the Chord Sheet.
-You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When the dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current notation track.

There's detailed information on our 2019 notation enhancements here: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 New Feature - Notation Enhancements

Jump to the Notation topic in our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 new features video.

Band-in-a-Box® Drum Features!

Today is National Drummer Day!
(not to be confused with National Hug a Drummer Day, which is October 10th)

Band-in-a-Box® is a great resource for drummers! Practice with an on-demand back-up band, learn from the Pro's with RealDrums notation (RealCharts, new with version 2019), MIDI drums notation, or play in the Drum Kit Window!

Not a drummer? Add drums to your Band-in-a-Box® project with RealDrums! Whether you're looking for Bluegrass, Blues, Bossa, Country, Dance, Dixieland, Folk, Funk, HipHop, Jazz, Latin, Metal, Pop, RnB, Rock, Soul, Techno, Traditional, Waltz, or World (and variations within) - you'll definitely find what you're looking for in our RealDrums library - there are over 500 available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Build 315 Update Available!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac users - a new FREE patch update (build 315) is available!
Review details and download here

Summary of changes for build 315 (Nov 15, 2019):

Fixed: Exporting MusicXML files was not working.
Fixed: When using "Auto-Hand split Piano track" feature, exported MIDI files contain wrong note durations on the Piano track.
Fixed: Note-based lyrics were not included when exporting MIDI files.
Fixed: User should be prompted to save their song when exiting, if they had added or removed plugins.
Fixed: The Record Audio dialog always says “Track type is Stereo” even if the track type is mono.
Fixed: The [Audio Options…] button in the Record Audio dialog was launching the Audio Devices dialog instead of the Audio Settings dialog.
Fixed: Loops dialog title bar displays wrong track name.
Fixed: Large patch map files are not completely loaded (were limited to 1985 patches).
Fixed: Notation context menu > Edit Section Text… did not do anything.
Fixed: Notation context menu > Insert Section Text… did not do anything.

My Favorite Things - Nudge Chords in Band-in-a-Box®

Love this time saving feature.

Ever fill in the chordsheet fully or for part of song, and then discover you want to add or take away an extra beat or more somewhere in the chordsheet.

Nudge chords (melody) from the Edit Menu is your friend here, the dialog will give you all the options either to remove or add beats where its needed.

Love it.
-musiclover

To learn more about this feature, read the "Advanced Chord Entry and Editing Features" topic when you click here.

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial & Demo - Rodney Gene Junior

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Rodney Gene Junior has shared his latest User Testimonial and Demo with us, and we LOVE it! Not only does Rodney share with the viewer his enthusiasm for our program, he also shares a few examples of how he uses Band-in-a-Box® too - make sure you check it out!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Testimonial Video - Peter Torpey

Check out our latest Band-in-a-Box video testimonial, which takes using the program to a whole new level! Peter Torpey is a long time program user who has developed a way to work with the program, even though he's visually impaired - and he wants to make sure that others can too!
Click here to watch!

Learn more about Peter here.

View all our video testimonials here.

Want to make your own Testimonial? We'd love to see it! There's information on our Video Testimonials offer here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade & Full Manuals Available!
Forum Stats
30432 Members
62 Forums
60701 Topics
513691 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
JulesPitou, Aleksssl, ThomasJazz, YamahaTyros1, BReed

30432 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 201
Noel96 167