You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#210968 - 07/31/13 04:50 PM [User Showcase] My Southern Belle
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

I found this today. I had forgotten that I had worked this up.
Kevin posted a jam "in honor of j.j.cale". This one has a bit of that influence as well.

It is an old song - written back when telephone companies meant something.
Southern Bell ruled the SouthEast US. They turned into Bell South.
I don't even know if they still exist... but that is where the "wink" in this song came from.
Man! we're getting old fast! Remember when the phone hung on the wall in your kitchen?
And you could only walk as far as the cord would let you???

MY SOUTHERN BELLE

RealTracks:
RealTracks in song: ~1846:Bass, Electric, CountryBoogieRootFive Sw 140
RealTracks in song: 1718:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasBluesRockStraightBrent Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 848:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryRockRiff Ev 120 (A:sync)
RealTracks in song: 384:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Rock Southern Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1515:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryBrent Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1169:Guitar, Electric, Soloist RockMediumBrent Ev 120
RealDrums in Song: BluesRockEv^1-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Open HiHat

I did vocals and harmonies and played acoustic.

Comments encouraged...

floyd

#210977 - 07/31/13 06:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
I love it Floyd!
Yeah, I remember all those things!

very clever word play throughout, and I like the way you put some of the rhymes in the middle of the sentence instead of the usual end of the sentence.

Instead of rambling on as I usually do, I'll stop here and see what others have to say...

#210986 - 07/31/13 06:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Cool track, Floyd.

Super lyrics and a great vocal performance. Very nice choice of RTs and a groove that really drives along. I loved the guitar sounds. The dialing tone at the end was inspired.

The mix sounds great on my main monitors, but on headphones the stereo placement seems a bit too accurate for my taste. Sorry, Floyd - I think that's the first time I've been less than enthusiastic about any aspect of your recording. Apart from that, a brilliant track!

ROG.

#210987 - 07/31/13 06:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Pat - I love when you ramble!!!

ROG - You have my attention...

I don't know what you mean by... "the stereo placement seems a bit too accurate"...

Can you explain, please (I'd like to take care of "less than enthusiastic"!)

Edited by floyd jane (07/31/13 06:46 PM)

#210992 - 07/31/13 07:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Floyd - now you have me worried that I've offended you!

On the big Tannoys everything sounds great, but on the 'phones I could place each instrument's position very accurately in the stereo field. It was like being very close to a very wide stage, so that sounds seemed to come from various specific places, rather than a blend of the overall band.

Now, I have to admit to using all sorts of unnatural stereo effects, particularly in my 80s stuff, but I felt that your track had the feel of a live band and needed a more conventional placement.

At the end of the day, I was being very picky and I'm beginning to wish I'd kept quiet!

ROG.

#211000 - 07/31/13 07:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

ROG,

No, no! I was not offended AT ALL! I truly welcome that type of critique!!!
If something isn't the best it can be - I want to know your opinion of that.
I can decide if it's valid and fix it or not.

I appreciate the honest opinion. If you knew where I've been, you would know "I can take it" and I welcome it!!!

So... thank you (I understand what you are getting at...)

Edited by floyd jane (07/31/13 07:21 PM)

#211003 - 07/31/13 07:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Floyd,

you are telling an interesting story again.
Great vocals, harmonies and suitable RTs.
The song has got a lot of drive and it's fun to
listen.
ROG: "on the 'phones I could place each instrument's position very accurately in the stereo field." That's how it should be.

Guenter

#211028 - 08/01/13 04:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Hi Floyd.

Thanks for the reassurance. Now that I know you're not offended, perhaps I can better explain where I'm coming from on this one. Reading Guenters comment I think I haven't made it quite clear.

Firstly, there was a time (just after the dinosaurs died out) when we didn't even check the mix on 'phones. Because so much music was listened to on radio, we checked on little cube speakers called Auratones, which you'd find in pro studios all over the world. Since the rise of the tablet, phone and MP3 player, the headphone mix has become as important as the main monitor mix. I even know people who mix on 'phones and then check on the mains.

Secondly, this particular mix. When I listen to it I hear a live band. If I'm in a hall about 50ft away from a stage which is 15ft wide, all the sound is coming pretty much from the same direction, plus there are reflections from the side and back walls which form the reverb. If I'm mixing this, I'd pan everything dead center and use judicious amounts of stereo chorus and stereo reverb/delay to provide a subtle stereo wash. To me, this is more natural than different instruments in different ears.

Guenter is absolutely right that the 'phones should pick up the stereo placement, it's just that I think I explained it badly before.

Of course, this still only holds up as one persons opinion and there are no rights and wrongs in this game. I just hope this makes things clearer.

ROG.

#211035 - 08/01/13 06:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Floyd,

I'm sitting here, tapping my feet, nodding my head and generally just rocking along with the music; I'm also smiling and laughing at your lyrics and thinking just how clever they are. You really have a gift for working with words! I love the play on meanings.

All that being said, the musical setting is equally perfect!!!

Back in second ...

Ok! That didn't work. I've played the song through 4 times now in the hope that I'd find something to be constructively critical about. Sorry. I can't help out there. It all sounds EXCELLENT to my ears. It's another ...

... from me.

Heading back for another listen, now smile

All the best,
Noel

#211047 - 08/01/13 12:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Maryland
SpaceDog Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Floyd,
I love the song. The dial tone at the end is a nice touch.

Good mixing theory discussion. I'm taking it all in and learning from each of you.

SD

#211054 - 08/01/13 02:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
seeker Offline
Veteran

Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
Floyd,

Really enjoyed your lyrics, vocals and music.

Was listening on my "monitors", sounded great to me.
FWIW, I've been trying to set pans in own songs to emulate
instrument positioning. Unknown to me this was the right thing to do..
Who'da thunk!

Thanks for putting your heart into another great song in your collections.

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum

#211061 - 08/01/13 04:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Achordocaster Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Hey Floyd,

Another excellent job! I don't really have any critique comments, It all sounds good to me.

I'm not having any issues with the mix, but I haven't listened through headphones.

Greg

#211072 - 08/01/13 05:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

OK, ROG...

I re-mixed it and narrowed the field. Not dead center - that is a bit too radical for me. I've now had BIAB for a year. I think I did this around month 3 - like I said it got "lost" for a while. Before I posted it the other day I re-mixed it because the drums and guitars were wimpy. As I did that I noticed the wide field, but left it. So thanks for "callin' me on that".

So I'd be interested if this at least gets close (for you). Truth.

The discussion is good...

floyd

#211073 - 08/01/13 05:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Guenter - thanks for your support! I always appreciate your comments.

Noel - Thank you. Your comments are always so much fun to read..

SD - glad you enjoyed it.

#211074 - 08/01/13 05:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Frank and Greg - thanks. by the time you guys got to it, I had posted the re-mix. Thanks for the listen and the comments...

#211077 - 08/01/13 06:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Hey Floyd, I agree - the discussion is what's so good about this forum.

Straight away, let me say that I love the re-mix.

You know, I agonized for a long time about making that first comment, basically because the standard of your work is so consistently good and so well respected here. Then there's the fact that it's only an opinion in any case.

Then I thought you were probably big enough to take it and if you didn't agree you could shoot me down in flames! It's only a short time since I re-mixed one, myself, when public opinion here wanted the vocal louder and brighter.

I think it's great not having to work in isolation and having access to opinions from so many talented forumites. My respect for you is only increased by this exchange.

Many thanks, ROG.

#211078 - 08/01/13 07:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

I like the Jj groove. A little bluesy country rock. Never a bad thing. Good vocal. Going back for another listen. Thanks for posting.

#211096 - 08/01/13 10:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Florida, USA
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Loc: Florida, USA
Hi Floyd, great tune all around!
"on the 'phones I could place each instrument's position very accurately in the stereo field."
Well, I'm not sure if that was your intention, but if so you succeeded. Nothing wrong wit that IMHO. Being a matter of taste (I think), when you listen to my mixes, I try to do exactly that; place the melody and solos dead center and then try to imagine where my band is placed on the stage and pan it accordingly.

Regards

Mike B.

#211127 - 08/02/13 11:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Kentucky
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
Great! If Brooks and Dunn had not called it quits, this would be the perfect song for them. Are they one of your influences? I hear a lot of them in your work each time. Liked the dial tone on the end, nice touch. Thanks for sharing!

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#211178 - 08/02/13 09:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Southern Belle [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: South Louisiana
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
Love everything about it . . especially for us older guys down south who actually did business with Bell South before the breakup.

Another top shelf performance!

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

Forum Stats
28434 Members
58 Forums
55235 Topics
460016 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Coskun, sbroach, GEORGES SCHIRO, Yellowkey, Hagglui78

28434 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 358
Pipeline 326