Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#210968 07/31/13 01:50 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I found this today. I had forgotten that I had worked this up.
Kevin posted a jam "in honor of j.j.cale". This one has a bit of that influence as well.

It is an old song - written back when telephone companies meant something.
Southern Bell ruled the SouthEast US. They turned into Bell South.
I don't even know if they still exist... but that is where the "wink" in this song came from.
Man! we're getting old fast! Remember when the phone hung on the wall in your kitchen?
And you could only walk as far as the cord would let you???

MY SOUTHERN BELLE

RealTracks:
RealTracks in song: ~1846:Bass, Electric, CountryBoogieRootFive Sw 140
RealTracks in song: 1718:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasBluesRockStraightBrent Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 848:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryRockRiff Ev 120 (A:sync)
RealTracks in song: 384:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Rock Southern Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1515:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryBrent Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1169:Guitar, Electric, Soloist RockMediumBrent Ev 120
RealDrums in Song: BluesRockEv^1-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Open HiHat

I did vocals and harmonies and played acoustic.

Comments encouraged...

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I love it Floyd!
Yeah, I remember all those things!

very clever word play throughout, and I like the way you put some of the rhymes in the middle of the sentence instead of the usual end of the sentence.

Instead of rambling on as I usually do, I'll stop here and see what others have to say...

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Cool track, Floyd.

Super lyrics and a great vocal performance. Very nice choice of RTs and a groove that really drives along. I loved the guitar sounds. The dialing tone at the end was inspired.

The mix sounds great on my main monitors, but on headphones the stereo placement seems a bit too accurate for my taste. Sorry, Floyd - I think that's the first time I've been less than enthusiastic about any aspect of your recording. Apart from that, a brilliant track!

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Pat - I love when you ramble!!!

ROG - You have my attention...

I don't know what you mean by... "the stereo placement seems a bit too accurate"...

Can you explain, please (I'd like to take care of "less than enthusiastic"!)

Last edited by floyd jane; 07/31/13 03:46 PM.
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd - now you have me worried that I've offended you!

On the big Tannoys everything sounds great, but on the 'phones I could place each instrument's position very accurately in the stereo field. It was like being very close to a very wide stage, so that sounds seemed to come from various specific places, rather than a blend of the overall band.

Now, I have to admit to using all sorts of unnatural stereo effects, particularly in my 80s stuff, but I felt that your track had the feel of a live band and needed a more conventional placement.

At the end of the day, I was being very picky and I'm beginning to wish I'd kept quiet!

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
ROG,

No, no! I was not offended AT ALL! I truly welcome that type of critique!!!
If something isn't the best it can be - I want to know your opinion of that.
I can decide if it's valid and fix it or not.

I appreciate the honest opinion. If you knew where I've been, you would know "I can take it" and I welcome it!!!

So... thank you (I understand what you are getting at...)

Last edited by floyd jane; 07/31/13 04:21 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

you are telling an interesting story again.
Great vocals, harmonies and suitable RTs.
The song has got a lot of drive and it's fun to
listen.
ROG: "on the 'phones I could place each instrument's position very accurately in the stereo field." That's how it should be.

Guenter

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd.

Thanks for the reassurance. Now that I know you're not offended, perhaps I can better explain where I'm coming from on this one. Reading Guenters comment I think I haven't made it quite clear.

Firstly, there was a time (just after the dinosaurs died out) when we didn't even check the mix on 'phones. Because so much music was listened to on radio, we checked on little cube speakers called Auratones, which you'd find in pro studios all over the world. Since the rise of the tablet, phone and MP3 player, the headphone mix has become as important as the main monitor mix. I even know people who mix on 'phones and then check on the mains.

Secondly, this particular mix. When I listen to it I hear a live band. If I'm in a hall about 50ft away from a stage which is 15ft wide, all the sound is coming pretty much from the same direction, plus there are reflections from the side and back walls which form the reverb. If I'm mixing this, I'd pan everything dead center and use judicious amounts of stereo chorus and stereo reverb/delay to provide a subtle stereo wash. To me, this is more natural than different instruments in different ears.

Guenter is absolutely right that the 'phones should pick up the stereo placement, it's just that I think I explained it badly before.

Of course, this still only holds up as one persons opinion and there are no rights and wrongs in this game. I just hope this makes things clearer.

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

I'm sitting here, tapping my feet, nodding my head and generally just rocking along with the music; I'm also smiling and laughing at your lyrics and thinking just how clever they are. You really have a gift for working with words! I love the play on meanings.

All that being said, the musical setting is equally perfect!!!

Back in second ...

Ok! That didn't work. I've played the song through 4 times now in the hope that I'd find something to be constructively critical about. Sorry. I can't help out there. It all sounds EXCELLENT to my ears. It's another ...

... from me.

Heading back for another listen, now smile

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Floyd,
I love the song. The dial tone at the end is a nice touch.

Good mixing theory discussion. I'm taking it all in and learning from each of you.

SD

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

Really enjoyed your lyrics, vocals and music.

Was listening on my "monitors", sounded great to me.
FWIW, I've been trying to set pans in own songs to emulate
instrument positioning. Unknown to me this was the right thing to do..
Who'da thunk!

Thanks for putting your heart into another great song in your collections.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey Floyd,

Another excellent job! I don't really have any critique comments, It all sounds good to me.

I'm not having any issues with the mix, but I haven't listened through headphones.

Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
OK, ROG...

I re-mixed it and narrowed the field. Not dead center - that is a bit too radical for me. I've now had BIAB for a year. I think I did this around month 3 - like I said it got "lost" for a while. Before I posted it the other day I re-mixed it because the drums and guitars were wimpy. As I did that I noticed the wide field, but left it. So thanks for "callin' me on that".

So I'd be interested if this at least gets close (for you). Truth.

The discussion is good...

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Guenter - thanks for your support! I always appreciate your comments.

Noel - Thank you. Your comments are always so much fun to read..

SD - glad you enjoyed it.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Frank and Greg - thanks. by the time you guys got to it, I had posted the re-mix. Thanks for the listen and the comments...

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Floyd, I agree - the discussion is what's so good about this forum.

Straight away, let me say that I love the re-mix.

You know, I agonized for a long time about making that first comment, basically because the standard of your work is so consistently good and so well respected here. Then there's the fact that it's only an opinion in any case.

Then I thought you were probably big enough to take it and if you didn't agree you could shoot me down in flames! It's only a short time since I re-mixed one, myself, when public opinion here wanted the vocal louder and brighter.

I think it's great not having to work in isolation and having access to opinions from so many talented forumites. My respect for you is only increased by this exchange.

Many thanks, ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like the Jj groove. A little bluesy country rock. Never a bad thing. Good vocal. Going back for another listen. Thanks for posting.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd, great tune all around!
"on the 'phones I could place each instrument's position very accurately in the stereo field."
Well, I'm not sure if that was your intention, but if so you succeeded. Nothing wrong wit that IMHO. Being a matter of taste (I think), when you listen to my mixes, I try to do exactly that; place the melody and solos dead center and then try to imagine where my band is placed on the stage and pan it accordingly.

Regards

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Great! If Brooks and Dunn had not called it quits, this would be the perfect song for them. Are they one of your influences? I hear a lot of them in your work each time. Liked the dial tone on the end, nice touch. Thanks for sharing!

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Love everything about it . . especially for us older guys down south who actually did business with Bell South before the breakup.

Another top shelf performance!

Later,

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,500
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195