My opinion of Nashville today...... where do I start? I shall keep it encouraging and not disparaging......

Formulaic writing has always been the norm in that town. Harlan Howard had that puppy nailed, as did a number of other writers.

Today, the formula continues with variations. Competition is tooth and claw so getting a cut on anything meaningful or lucrative, is slim to none, especially if you are not living there and part of that "in crowd" of writers.

A friend I knew from another regional band of the time..... went to Nashville and hooked up with some of the top writers and bands.... actually played in and fronted for a band whose name you would recognize instantly.... wrote a number of songs with them and had several of his songs in the top of the charts.... is now back home working a day gig and gigging small clubs occasionally on weekends..... said he got fed up with the politics of the town in the music biz.

While many do follow the formula, or what they perceive to be the formula, and write after diagnosing this weeks top 20 charts..... there are still plenty of extremely well written, creative, and original songs coming out of that town.

my 2 centavos

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 08/30/13 06:54 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.