Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
bharris Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Mike,

For a newbie, could you please explain your JABB GM Multi a little? In other words, if I load it in and set my sax to channel 4, will I hear the melody that BIAB is playing on channel 4?

Jazzmammal, thank you for this clarification. I do have Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio. If I save the BIAB file as a midi and then open it up in Sonar, using JABB as a plug in it sounds like this might be a better approach. Do you agree?

Thanks!!

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Quote:

Mike,

For a newbie, could you please explain your JABB GM Multi a little? In other words, if I load it in and set my sax to channel 4, will I hear the melody that BIAB is playing on channel 4?

Thanks!!

From the documentation

The JABB GM Phrase Modeled Performance Multi adds a level of General Midi
capability to the Garritan Jazz & Big Band Library. The Multi will respond to Program
Change values routing subsequent notes to the appropriate channel of the K2 Player to
sound the corresponding instrument. The JABB GM Multi uses the Saxophone KS
instruments translating program change messages to key switches to play the flute,
clarinet and soprano sax samples. The multi adds a key switched Guitar, Bass, Piano &
Drums allowing switching between the Jazz and Acoustic Guitars, Upright, Arco,
Fingered, and Fretless Basses, Concert Grand and Rhodes pianos and GM Sticks and
Brush Drum Sets. The Multi also includes a Brass Section Patch consisting of the
Trumpet 5 KS Lite & Trombone 3 KS Lite instruments for use as the Brass Section GM
patch.

All the supported GM program change messages and their cooresponding JABB instruments are specified in the documentation

In essence as long as you specify supported program changes in BIAB you need not worry about what channel BIAB is sending the midi data on or which channel the K2 Player is using (you shouldn't change the multis k2 player instruments channel assignments)

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Jazzmammal, thank you for this clarification. I do have Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio. If I save the BIAB file as a midi and then open it up in Sonar, using JABB as a plug in it sounds like this might be a better approach. Do you agree?

Thanks!!

Normally I would say yes but Mike's multi sounds like that should work too.
Whether or not that's best depends on what you're trying to do. For me, when I'm actually working on a tune trying to make it sound the absolute best I can as opposed to simply playing some Biab songs for fun, then yes I put it into Real Band and really get into trying out different synths and instruments plus cutting/pasting/editing. Still JABB has some great sounds and you just want to make it work in Biab and I don't blame you. I would too because it seems like it should work especially with Mike's multi scripts. I have no idea how you set that up but it doesn't sound too difficult.
Just to make sure, I'm now assuming you're talking about playing a Biab generated song, correct? Is this a Biab song you created yourself or is it one you downloaded? I think you downloaded it because you haven't mentioned that you recorded the melody yourself. You're saying that all the instruments play using JABB as your synth except for the melody track and this is not a midi file we're talking about here. In that case, the only thing I can think of is make sure the volume is up on the melody track in Biab and the corresponding instrument channel in JABB is also up and not muted. Have you tried another Biab song and seen the same problem?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
B
bharris Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Dear Mike,

Thank you for the clarification. One more question if you don't mind - if I understand correctly, I would:

1) Download and install your script
2) Open BIAB
3) Open the Kontakt2 Player DXi plugin from within BIAB
4) Select your multi, without changing any channels on either BIAB or within JABB/Kontakt2
5) Play the song and hopefully hear all the BIAB instruments that were intended to be played, including the melody?

I downloaded the file named phrasemodeledperformancemulti.zip from your website, as well as the file named pmpm_jabb_gm.zip from the Northern Sounds forum where you posted it. I see that the phrasemodeledperformancemulti.zip folder has instructions for installation, but I don't see instructions for the other folder. Could you please tell me exactly where to put the files named JABB_GM.pat and PMPM JABBGM.nkm? Thanks!

Dear Bob,

Yes, I am just talking about loading a downloaded jazz standard into BIAB as a BIAB file and playing it using the JABB samples in order to sound better. I am not talking about loading a midi file, and unfortunately I have had the same issue on several BIAB files (as well as standard midi files I load into BIAB). Because I am also having this issue with "standard" midi files I load into BIAB, and I know that these files get loaded onto the same melody channel, channel 4, that I am having the issue with in JABB, my assumption is that there is something not being translated correctly between the signals that BIAB is generating on channel 4 and the JABB playing of those signals. My hope is that Mike's multi will solve this - would love to try right now, but I am at work!!

Thanks again for all your input.

Last edited by bharris; 04/27/09 01:00 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Have you confirmed that you can hear the melody channel using the VSC DXi or even your cheapo sound chip on your motherboard? Since you're dealing with downloaded files here, it still could be something in the file itself. Also, try creating a new song from scratch, plug in a keyboard and play anything on the melody channel just to see if that works. You can also take the melody track from any midi or Biab file and tell Biab to import it to your current melody track in a new song.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Quote:

Dear Mike,

I downloaded the file named phrasemodeledperformancemulti.zip from your website, as well as the file named pmpm_jabb_gm.zip from the Northern Sounds forum where you posted it. I see that the phrasemodeledperformancemulti.zip folder has instructions for installation, but I don't see instructions for the other folder. Could you please tell me exactly where to put the files named JABB_GM.pat and PMPM JABBGM.nkm? Thanks!

The JABB_GM.pat goes in your BIAB folder, this file is not required but is an aid for the non-standard patches. it can be loaded by clicking on the + button to the right of the Patch drobdown in BIAB. The PMPM JABBGM.nkm is the multi file, it should be copied to the same folder as the PMPM_def2.nkm file from the phrasemodeledperformancemulti.zip

BTW you will get better results using the VST K2 Player

B
bharris Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Dear Mike,

I opened the PMPM def2.nkm multi, and then the PMP JABBGM multi from within the Kontakt2 player plugin. I do get sound, but still do not hear the sax that I know is carrying the melody in this particular song (I know this because when I just use the GM on the laptop's soundcard, as opposed to JABB, I hear the sax). Did I do something wrong? I know you said above that I must "specify supported program changes in BIAB" - what exactly do you mean by this?

Thanks again for all your help, as I would really love to get JABB working from within BIAB.

Brett

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Quote:

Dear Mike,

I opened the PMPM def2.nkm multi, and then the PMP JABBGM multi from within the Kontakt2 player plugin. I do get sound, but still do not hear the sax that I know is carrying the melody in this particular song (I know this because when I just use the GM on the laptop's soundcard, as opposed to JABB, I hear the sax). Did I do something wrong? I know you said above that I must "specify supported program changes in BIAB" - what exactly do you mean by this?

Thanks again for all your help, as I would really love to get JABB working from within BIAB.

Brett

Brett,

Looks like you have everything set up correctly (although it's not necessary to load the PMPM def2.nkm prior to the JABBGM). You do have to make sure BIAB is sending a Sax program Change message though. That would be a 65 for Soprano, 66 Alto, 67 Tenor or 68 Baritone. This can be done by clicking the Melody radio button then selecting the appropriate Sax from the Patch Change dropdown. The only deviance from GM standards are the instruments jn the .PAT file.

B
bharris Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Dear Mike,

Thank you for your assistance - are the Melody radio button and the Patch Change dropdown that you are talking about on the main BIAB screen, or within Opt/Preferences? In addition, I just want to make sure that the .PAT file is supposed to be in the parent bb folder, rather than in a subfolder?

Thanks again for helping me!!

Brett

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Quote:

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your assistance - are the Melody radio button and the Patch Change dropdown that you are talking about on the main BIAB screen, or within Opt/Preferences?

Main Screen

Quote:

In addition, I just want to make sure that the .PAT file is supposed to be in the parent bb folder, rather than in a subfolder?

The main BB folder it should show up when you click the 'Open *.pat' button in the Patches On Higher Banks Dialog accessed from the + button on the main screen

B
bharris Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Success! Thank you all for your assistance, and thank you Mike for the great multi. So far it works like a charm, but you can be sure you'll hear from me if I have any more questions

J
Expert
Expert
J
Hi

Well done its good to see you have been successful

regards Dave Hoskins

I always play the right notes but not always in the right order
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
CELEBRATE!

Congrats on a job well done.

Have Fun,

--Mac

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I am having the exact same problem bharris had. I can get bass drums and piano to work, but not the melody channel (in this case sax as well). But if I turn of the DXI check box in the opt pref section I hear the normal midi sax coming through for the melody (channel 4 is currently set for BIAB midi).

I tried to click on the "Mike's K2 Scripts" link and I got this error message.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /vze3h95m/k2scripts/ on this server.

Bharris can you send me the zip file you got from that site?

Thanks
DAn

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Dan,

New website new version here
Sorry the GM version is no longer available you will need to go into the sequencer window of the melody & soloist and re-channel to your instrument of choice

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I called PG music, and they couldn't figure out my problem either. They are going to call me back Monday.

I think there is a bug in BIAB 2009 because I have now tried the usual Bass on ch 2, Piano on ch 1, drums on ch 10 and they all work like before. When I put any of JABB's instruments on ch 4 (which my BIAB is using for the melody channel) everything except the melody comes through. However If I load that same BIAB song file into the "real band " and keep all the JABB settings the same in the the Kronadt player The melody comes throguh fine. SO it works in Real Band but not BIAB 2009 with all the same settings. The problem is I can't do what I need to do in Realband (use my wind controller to play a melody, then create my own harmonies, and get the real JABB sounds for the trumpets, trombones, bari etc).

Any ideas?

Dan

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Quote:

I called PG music, and they couldn't figure out my problem either. They are going to call me back Monday.

I think there is a bug in BIAB 2009 because I have now tried the usual Bass on ch 2, Piano on ch 1, drums on ch 10 and they all work like before. When I put any of JABB's instruments on ch 4 (which my BIAB is using for the melody channel) everything except the melody comes through. However If I load that same BIAB song file into the "real band " and keep all the JABB settings the same in the the Kronadt player The melody comes throguh fine. SO it works in Real Band but not BIAB 2009 with all the same settings. The problem is I can't do what I need to do in Realband (use my wind controller to play a melody, then create my own harmonies, and get the real JABB sounds for the trumpets, trombones, bari etc).

Any ideas?

Dan

Dan,

You have to set the channel in the K2Player for the instrument you want to sound. For example if you want the trumpet to play the melody (channel 4) you have to assign the JABB trumpet in the K2Player to channel 4.

alternately you can open the melody or soloist sequencer window and re-channel the solo or melody to the JABB instruments channel in the K2Player

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Mike when looking at your 1st suggestion in your last post, I did that by selecting the trumpet channel to channel 4. Then while in BIAB 2009, I don't get the trumpet. But If I open PG MUSIC Real band that comes with BIAB 2009 and using the same exact settings (trumpet on ch 4) it does come through...

That seems like a bug to me. I think they are going to call me back on Monday and I'll let them know this info.

Dan

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Hi Dan,

The only other thing i can think of is if you have the melody set to multi-channel in which case BIAB sends on channel 1 by default. If you open the melody sequencer window it will show which channel(s) the melody midi is using

The reason I'm persisting is I've done quite a bit of testing with BIAB 2009 and JABB and have not encountered this problem.

It would be nice though if BIAB let you choose the channel when generating melody and solos.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Mike, When I go to the "melody" then "sequencer for multi-channel melody" it says "Melody track type needs to be set to multi channel for the sequencer ok to do this?"

I would think that means multi channel melody is turned off. Do you agree?
Dan

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,745
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191