Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#212514 08/17/13 08:55 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Most of my relatives are Iowa farmers. As a young teen, I spent several summers working on my grampa's farm - which was actually run by Uncle Paul and his sons (my cousins).
My grampa, Eben, worked that farm every day of his 92 years.
The last few years, he was nearly blind, but you could not have gotten him off that tractor.
He plowed and cultivated fields knowing when to turn from memory...

This is his story and the story of what happened the most of the family farms. I wrote this song 35 years ago. Before recording it recently, I rewrote a few lines and turned what had been the 3rd verse into a bridge (rearranging things and cutting it in half).

I hope you enjoy it.

EBEN

did you forget to lock the barn door again
the herefords have wondered back into the yard
has the 1024 been repaired, have you fixed the bailer
when will you admit that this life has grown too hard
the combine and the diesel have rusted with the years
and been discarded in a field that's overgrown
a lifetime of dreams, blood, sweat and tears
on the line with every seed you've thrown

(chorus)
eben, you're no longer young
don't take on the fields today
pulling on his working boots, he says
"you can take an interest,
but don't take my life away
please don't take my life away"

the silage should have been cut a week ago before it dried
you won't get the oats in before they fall
the ad for the hired man just won't be answered
the rewards for an honest day's work has grown too small
your brothers to the south of you,
the neighbors to the north
found the land just won't support them anymore
so they sold out to the big man, the mass production farm
but eben's on his way to do the chores

repeat chorus

bridge
old friends gone to the earth that they lived for
the few that have survived have moved to town
but eben's out revving up that old john deere
no sign of ever slowing down

repeat chorus

Here are the RealTracks:

RealDrums in style: NashvilleSkip^01-a:SideStick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
RealTracks in style: ~520:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 378:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming DoubleTime Ev 088
RealTracks in song: ~407:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 165
RealTracks in song: ~589:Banjo, Bluegrass Doc Ev 100 (Rhythm)
RealTracks in song: 377:Guitar, Resonator, Background Trav Ev 088
RealTracks in song: ~615:Harmonica, Background HeeHaw Sw 165

As always... comments encouraged.

floyd

floyd jane #212516 08/17/13 08:59 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
cool tune....

nice clean sound to the mix.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Guitarhacker #212521 08/17/13 09:26 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Floyd !

This tune should be on the C&W chart
if it ain´t already ?
Superb in every aspect! I enjoyed it
very much !

Cheers
Dani

floyd jane #212528 08/17/13 10:12 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

I love the way you tell your stories.
Vocals and Biabettes strong as always.
Another enjoyable listen (three times so far).

Guenter

floyd jane #212533 08/17/13 11:05 AM
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd.

Very moving and thought provoking lyrics, together with a beautiful soulful delivery. Very professional package, as always.

I particularly liked the stereo balance.

ROG.

floyd jane #212538 08/17/13 11:42 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yay! Another Floyd Jane song for my listening pleasure!

It doesn't happen very often, but this song actually choked me up a bit. I work with several people who also farm on the side. Through the years of working beside them, learning the names of their family members and hearing stories of the events that formed their lives, I've come to respect the farmers more than just about any other profession.

And you nailed it. The devotion to task (to them, its not just a job, they see themselves as caretakers of the earth) creates a unique breed of person.

your lyrics:
"take an interest... but don't take my life away" <--interesting parallel structure

"the rewards for an honest day's work has grown too small" <--sad but true

"old friends gone to the earth that they lived for..." <--my favorite line

One line that made me think of my best friend:
"the combine and the diesel have rusted with the years..."
my friend has so much arthritis that he often comments that he's rustier than his plow

Floyd, I can never find words to adequately praise your songs... but that doesn't stop me from rambling in search of them. Thanks for the inspiration you provide to me (and I suspect to many others)

edit:
"The last few years, he was nearly blind, but you could not have gotten him off that tractor."
I've seen a lot of people like this in the local WalMart parking lot... wink

floyd jane #212539 08/17/13 11:58 AM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Floyd,

Very enjoyable! Another excellent song from "The Floyd Library". grin

Great job on the mix, and a really fine "tasty" use of the dobro & harmonica.

Greg

floyd jane #212584 08/18/13 04:04 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Herb - thanks.

Dani - Appreciate the thought!...

Guenter - thank you... the BAIBettes actually sat this one out - so I had to do all the harmonies myself...

ROG - appreciate the kind remarks...

Greg - thanks for the listen and the nice comments...

floyd jane #212585 08/18/13 04:09 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Pat,

It is nice when you know that a song that you have written actually "touches" someone. Particularly if it involves a subject/topic with which they are familiar/involved. The details of this were easy... they all played out in front of me as a kid.

Farmers are a unique breed. They work every day, all day - the milk cows don't take a day off. They have millions in land and equipment and are basically "dirt poor". They don't complain about the work or the circumstances because it is their life and they would seldom choose any other...

Thanks for the listen... and your "rambling" comments - they are much appreciated.

floyd

floyd jane #212608 08/18/13 08:57 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A very moving story Floyd. I have always been a city dweller but I know some farmers and can relate to the words. Well done.

Last edited by jo131; 08/18/13 08:57 AM.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
floyd jane #212614 08/18/13 11:21 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Floyd,

You've done it once again! Another fine song, with poignant, touching lyrics. Your harmonies on this one are superb. Reminds me a little of the Gatlin Brothers. My dad was the son of a sharecropper farmer, and he grew up in the Great Depression. I have never lived on a farm, but have relatives that are farmers, and I have heard all the stories. This song really touches my heart.

Thanks for sharing it.

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
floyd jane #212645 08/18/13 10:12 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,
What can I say that hasn't been said before.
An excellent country tune with a wonderful story and I do like songs with a story.
and written 35 years ago eh... When you find the words for songs like that it's "BANG" and you are back in the day you wrote it. I find it amazing how then you remember the tune and chords ... almost!

Well done
Alyn

floyd jane #212659 08/19/13 05:35 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd, Love a good story song. Also reminds me of the Gatlins. This song is a shining example of the plight of America's small farmers. Well Done! I must say the bridge is great and really important to the structure as it adds something different to lead into the chorus again. Thanks for posting. I am going back for another listen. Tom

floyd jane #212666 08/19/13 07:54 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Floyd,

This is my new fav of yours. Really touching song from start to finish and I especially like the bridge. The banjo adds a nice flavor too.

floyd jane #212733 08/20/13 08:31 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beautifully written and performed, outstanding!

Later,

floyd jane #212756 08/20/13 05:23 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd, its all been said so all I can add is WOW!

This story is so true! I really like the line ‘Don’t take my life away! I think that speaks for a lot of us senior citizens!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
floyd jane #212867 08/22/13 04:49 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Joanne - glad you liked it...

Steve - thanks for the kind words. Always good when a song hits home...

Alyn - always nice to have you drop by for a listen... 35 years is a long time, but this was one of the few decent ones I did back then - you have a tendency to remember those the best, I think.. there are many that were lost (with brain cells along the way) - and that is probably for the best (the songs, not the brains cells)...

floyd jane #212869 08/22/13 05:27 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Tom - thanks for that. 2 votes for the Gatlins... maybe I should head to Myrtle Beach smile Good to know the bridge did what it should. When I originally wrote this, most songs were just 3 verses and 3 choruses. And I followed that formula. I don't think I've written a 3 verse song in 25 years. Replacing the last verse with a bridge seemed the right thing to do to "modernize" this. Kind of like swapping out those gold and olive appliances in your kitchen....

Josie - thanks for the listen and the comments. The trick is to try to make each new one a "new favorite"!

Danny - thanks for dropping by for a listen!

Mario - appreciate it... who would have thought we would still be doing this when we got to the point where we were eligible for "that discount"...

Last edited by floyd jane; 08/22/13 12:03 PM. Reason: 'Cause Pat is making me forget things...
floyd jane #212883 08/22/13 08:03 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
maybe I should head to Myrtle Beach

if you ever do, let the Carolina forum members know

floyd jane #212979 08/23/13 12:25 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
It's all been said Floyd since your productions always feature superior song writing, singing and use of RTs. This song really struck a responsive note with Janice as it reminded her of her uncle who kept working the cows well after most would have given it up. And it reminds me of my step father who after essentially giving up farming due to economic conditions continued to keep a few cattle -- just for the ambience.

Also, Mellencamp or Young ought to sing this song at Farm Aid. And I sincerely mean that.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195